Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do I have to buy Ruismaker Noir?

2»

Comments

• I knew I would get it. Just couldn't resist a Bram Bos app, all the praise in the other post and the demos. But I was wondering if I would wait a bit, because sometimes we hype stuff too much here :lol:

Decided to buy right now. and WOW. Nothing like putting your hands into it. It can sound like anything, and it can be percussive and/or melodic.

Simple to use and you'll get good results. For any kind of track. I'm fitting it in already in a dark ambient project i've been working on :wink:

• I ran 5 instances in my air 1... no sweat!
    Doesn’t take up too much space as well!
    Employed it’s dark charm here:

• If melodic percussion is what you want though, Icegear LaPlace (more plucked steing ish) and Mersenne (more mallets) may be others to look at. Dont do what Noir does but also true vice versa.

• I don't normally 'GAS' for apps (or gear in general these days -- I have what I need and have sold the rest) but Ruismaker Noir has certainly become an 'itch' to be scratched at some future juncture.

Can anyone let me know if it has global fine tune functionality? I'm sure I'll eventually pick it up regardless but this is what separates an app from musical toy to instrument usable in real world settings for me. My only regret EVER about bram's fantastic apps is no fine tune. I know this doesn't apply for everyone, but for me, the basic requirements of a musical instrument are that it can be played in time and in tune (granted the user has the chops to do so!). An instrument without fine tuning capability is incapable to be played in tune for 99 (actually in a practical sense 90-ish) out of every 100 absolute pitch values. For some people that's no problem, but I frequently (more often than not) work in musical contexts that demand tuning to an arbitrary pitch value.

To end on a compliment: Ruismaker (classic) is still my most used sound generator by a factor of 1000:1

• @OscarSouth said:
    I don't normally 'GAS' for apps (or gear in general these days -- I have what I need and have sold the rest) but Ruismaker Noir has certainly become an 'itch' to be scratched at some future juncture.

Can anyone let me know if it has global fine tune functionality? I'm sure I'll eventually pick it up regardless but this is what separates an app from musical toy to instrument usable in real world settings for me. My only regret EVER about bram's fantastic apps is no fine tune. I know this doesn't apply for everyone, but for me, the basic requirements of a musical instrument are that it can be played in time and in tune (granted the user has the chops to do so!). An instrument without fine tuning capability is incapable to be played in tune for 99 (actually in a practical sense 90-ish) out of every 100 absolute pitch values. For some people that's no problem, but I frequently (more often than not) work in musical contexts that demand tuning to an arbitrary pitch value.

To end on a compliment: Ruismaker (classic) is still my most used sound generator by a factor of 1000:1

According to his twitter profile, Bram is a fully signed up member of team 440hz !

• edited November 2018

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:
    I don't normally 'GAS' for apps (or gear in general these days -- I have what I need and have sold the rest) but Ruismaker Noir has certainly become an 'itch' to be scratched at some future juncture.

According to his twitter profile, Bram is a fully signed up member of team 440hz !

Which is cool and all, but some kinds of folk instruments can’t be tuned (or are sensitive to tuning and function optimally at a certain pitch value). It’s so effortless to slightly adjust a digital fine tune dial, whereas asking a whole ensemble of difficult/impossible to tune instruments to adjust to you is totally inappropriate. You just have to sit out or omit that instrument (or preferably, come with appropriate tools prepared that are able to function in that environment).

Yea, it’s a niche case, but this is the real world and there is a lot of variety out there. This is the basis that I hold my ‘instruments need to be able to be played in time and in tune’ rule to. Breaks my heart a little to not be able to bring TroubleMaker & Co. to those contexts! (although Ruismaker makes it to every one!)

• IF you mean the beats to be kinda like the melody and harmony almost eh? Like the real full beat that almost is full range? I think I know what you mean and yep its good for that and ripple maker of course. I like to make complex beats where Its hard to fit in the bass but when you do its just amazing.

• @OscarSouth said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

Which is cool and all, but some kinds of folk instruments can’t be tuned (or are sensitive to tuning and function optimally at a certain pitch value). It’s so effortless to slightly adjust a digital fine tune dial, whereas asking a whole ensemble of difficult/impossible to tune instruments to adjust to you is totally inappropriate. You just have to sit out or omit that instrument (or preferably, come with appropriate tools prepared that are able to function in that environment).

Yea, it’s a niche case, but this is the real world and there is a lot of variety out there. This is the basis that I hold my ‘instruments need to be able to be played in time and in tune’ rule to. Breaks my heart a little to not be able to bring TroubleMaker & Co. to those contexts! (although Ruismaker makes it to every one!)

Well, I’m no expert in the subject, but I think I can at least partially answer. Each of the two oscillators has a pitch control that can be set to any base value, so yes, you can start with any pitch you need just like the other Ruismakers. But then you can choose to have incoming midi note value change the pitch relatively from there if you want. An oscillator set at 0 (center position) will play a C, making it easy enough to play notes in standard tuning. You’d need to find the right setting with a tuner or by ear to start off with, but I think would be OK from there.

What I don’t know is if it responds to pitch bend, and/or microtonal scales coming from a midi controller that supports it. I’ll try to do some testing later today if @brambos doesn’t jump in with the official word.

Of course, you could also use cc’s to change the oscillator tuning on the fly as well. You also have the pitch “drop” at the start of the hit, which can be positive or negative, and “slope” to control the speed of the pitch change.

From what I’ve heard of your music, I think it would be right up your alley.

• edited November 2018

@sysexual said:
    @brambos needs a new private jet to fly around the world with his filthy rich app developer friends. His other private jet has a flat tire and when you're as rich as Bram from synth app making you don't get it fixed, you buy a brand new one. It's a cause that everyone should be apart of.

Funny how people think us devs are rich! We do this for love & lunch money really - now if music apps had IAP gems!!! So don't forget to give Brambos some rating - it keeps him working....

• edited November 2018

@wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

Well, I’m no expert in the subject, but I think I can at least partially answer. Each of the two oscillators has a pitch control that can be set to any base value, so yes, you can start with any pitch you need just like the other Ruismakers. But then you can choose to have incoming midi note value change the pitch relatively from there if you want. An oscillator set at 0 (center position) will play a C, making it easy enough to play notes in standard tuning. You’d need to find the right setting with a tuner or by ear to start off with, but I think would be OK from there.

What I don’t know is if it responds to pitch bend, and/or microtonal scales coming from a midi controller that supports it. I’ll try to do some testing later today if @brambos doesn’t jump in with the official word.

Of course, you could also use cc’s to change the oscillator tuning on the fly as well. You also have the pitch “drop” at the start of the hit, which can be positive or negative, and “slope” to control the speed of the pitch change.

From what I’ve heard of your music, I think it would be right up your alley.

That sounds like an ideal implementation actually. I don't care about microtonality or anything like that -- just need a flexible absolute fundamental pitch and the ability to automate that is a bonus. Thanks for the rundown!

• @AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

Which mostly means I don't subscribe to the notion of my music resonating with the sacred frequency of the universe when I tune my C to 432Hz :D

Regarding Noir: as @wim said, you can tune it to whatever you like. It's not made specifically for fine-tuning or finding specific melodic frequencies though. It's a percussion synth after all.

• @brambos said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

Which mostly means I don't subscribe to the notion of my music resonating with the sacred frequency of the universe when I tune my C to 432Hz :D

I’m scared to use 432Hz in case I cause fractures in the space time continuum :D

• edited November 2018

Although most percussive instruments work better when tuned to fundamental tone. Tuning to key work especially well.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@brambos said:

I’m scared to use 432Hz in case I cause fractures in the space time continuum :D

But what about the unimaginable cosmic power you'd have at your fingertips?

Tuning to A = 432 is the musical equivalent to the Infinity Gauntlet, you know....

• @brambos said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@OscarSouth said:

Regarding Noir: as @wim said, you can tune it to whatever you like. It's not made specifically for fine-tuning or finding specific melodic frequencies though. It's a percussion synth after all.

That sounds good to me. I remember we had a similar chat about Ruismaker a while back and it was a similar (probably more simple) situation that’s been perfect for my purposes — I just tune the pitches to where they sound good to my ear. Ruismaker Noir sounds very interesting indeed and very useful for the situations I’d use it in. It’s probably time I updated my Ruismaker collection, so I’m sure I’ll pick it up soon enough!

I’m also in agreement that there’s most likely nothing special about any other absolute tuning value beside the aesthetic effects of register. The effects of belief on the imagination may be quite effective, however!

• OK -- I just watched DJ Puzzle's video demo on it and I'm fully sold. It'd a sound awesome on the track I'm currently working on. I don't have the 'expendable' budget to drop on apps at the moment, but the moment I do .. it's on the top of the list!

• @midiSequencer said:

@sysexual said:
    @brambos needs a new private jet to fly around the world with his filthy rich app developer friends. His other private jet has a flat tire and when you're as rich as Bram from synth app making you don't get it fixed, you buy a brand new one. It's a cause that everyone should be apart of.

Funny how people think us devs are rich! We do this for love & lunch money really - now if music apps had IAP gems!!! So don't forget to give Brambos some rating - it keeps him working....

Good Sir, this comment was in jest.