Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Squaresynth is back -squaresynth2 8 bits synth Auv3

13»

Comments

• Nice update! Thanks James.

1.1 Feb 4, 2019
    • Sawtooth Wave.
    • Unison Mode (3 voice monophonic, detune-able).
    • Adjustments to Smooth mode, in Automation Tables.
    • UI adjustments.
    • Sliders fixed on iPad.
    • Improved AUv3 stability.
    • Memory use reduction.

Thanks @rezidue for letting him know about the issues too.
    Did a super quick test and yeah, everything seems to work now (lost my user presets, but no big deal).
    Plus the CPU hit is lower.

• @frond said:

@ocelot said:

It would neato if more waves could be added and turn it into the early wavetable VCO by Richter, Grosse, Blacet...That would make a rad new synth called 'SuperWaveformCitySynth'

With your own waveforms e-l-s-a is very much like the waveform city. e-l-s-a is missing the 'play' the wavetable with external waveforms/samples, process voltages, wavetable lfo's, and the sound of its low fi DAC, but the rest of it's there. Import a wavetable and modulate the start and end, single cycle waveforms, etc.

Create waveforms with Gross's Single Cycle Waveform Editor, Galbanum waveforms, etc.

For the processing component of the waveform city, try audio damage grind. subtle or extreme, it's deep. I wish It was capable of waveforms import, and use as a wavetable synth. ( also made the request to audio damage ).

Is the 'piano' preset using 'one sample set per octave' the way to do that? Or at least a good starting point? The 'Sample mode' I haven't explored yet. Having too much fun with the arp + sample-playback divider, and Rozeta LFOs.

I think elsa and Squaresynth are 2 of the most characterful tools on iOS. Tiny CPU hit too.

• @ocelot said:

Is the 'piano' preset using 'one sample set per octave' the way to do that? Or at least a good starting point?
    The 'Sample mode' I haven't explored yet.
    Having too much fun with the arp + sample-playback divider, and Rozeta LFOs.

IME the easiest starting point was the keyboard icon ('one sample set' - top right corner).

open in stand alone mode.

import a wavetable, single cycle waveform, longer sample, etc. or sample with the mic icon.

select 'loop restart mode'. if using a wavetable (or longer sample), you will want to adjust your 'start' and 'stop' points to taste.

select 'no compensation'.

turn arp on and 'arpeggio up'. 'arpeggio octaves' set to 1 or 2. 'arpeggio divider' set to 4 ( choice depends on the bpm, or what you are trying to achieve with the arp). i usually start at appr. 60 bpm.

select the arrow (below the + and - signs). select hold (symbol that looks like an 8 on its side).

'nr. of octaves' 1.

adjust envelope to taste. i typically start by dragging A, D, S, R to the bottom.

all effects off. divider set to 1 only.

press a single key on the elsa keyboard.

adjust decay to taste.

play with the plus and minus symbols (octave).

experiment with arp settings, dividers, effects, envelopes, start and stop, bpm, etc.

when that makes sense, choose the preset called 'a humdrum sin()'. and follow the steps above again.

while your arp is playing, tap the icon in the top right to choose different sample mapping types.

change the loop type; one shot mode, loop restart mode(loop), loop reverse mode (ping pong, i think - haven't visually tested).

then instantiate in AUM, audiobus, etc. modulate/sequence with rozeta, quantum, midiSTEPs, midiLFOs, oscillab, different drummer, etc.

as much fun as a Wiard modular IME. more flexible that the waveform city, in that it's easier to import your own samples than it is to burn a custom eprom. plus, you can sample with elsa!

• Argh, yet another synth that's out of tune at 48kHz. Emailed James.
    Does someone have the link to the affected synths? Thanks.

• @ocelot said:
    Argh, yet another synth that's out of tune at 48kHz. Emailed James.
    Does someone have the link to the affected synths? Thanks.

I have to check a few things to check before I send a bug report to James about the AUv3 'crashing' when it receives too much information.

This is most notable when using StepBud to sequence the SquareSynth 2 AUv3.
    (All other AUv3 sequencers behave just fine).

SquareSynth 2 'crashes' when StepBud sends 128 note-offs when the host is stopped.
    The StepBud dev is working on alternate methods to silence the synths on stop as not all synths respond to 'All Notes Off' command so that's one of the reasons it sends 'note off' to all notes.

As for the tuning, It's a real pita...

• Wowzers! Good catch...just checked MIDISpy...StepBud is also sending 128 Note Offs after every Note On it seems! Does that sound correct? (in addition to the 128 Note Ons at Host Stop).

And with Squaresynth2, it crashes apeMatrix every time. Not Audiobus 3 as much.

• @ocelot said:
    Wowzers! Good catch...just checked MIDISpy...StepBud is also sending 128 Note Offs after every Note On it seems! Does that sound correct? (in addition to the 128 Note Ons at Host Stop).

The StepBud developer is aware of the situation and working on a fix, no ETA on it but it's coming.
    It affects a few other synths as well and not only SquareSynth 2.

But still each 'synth/app' should properly handle the incoming midi without crashing.
    I had a few crashlogs on my iPad and those have already been sent away by iOS...

• edited April 2019

@Samu said:

@ocelot said:
    Wowzers! Good catch...just checked MIDISpy...StepBud is also sending 128 Note Offs after every Note On it seems! Does that sound correct? (in addition to the 128 Note Ons at Host Stop).

The StepBud developer is aware of the situation and working on a fix, no ETA on it but it's coming.
    It affects a few other synths as well and not only SquareSynth 2.

But still each 'synth/app' should properly handle the incoming midi without crashing.
    I had a few crashlogs on my iPad and those have already been sent away by iOS...

Thanks for letting him know about all the bugs. I've given up on StepBud due to the UI 'greying-out' after a few minutes. Have high hopes for 'cykle' due to it's Xynthesizer layout and de-coupled lanes. Or I'll just stick with Thesys.

• @ocelot said:

Thanks for letting him know about all the bugs. I've given up on StepBud due to the UI 'greying-out' after a few minutes. Have high hopes for 'cykle' due to it's Xynthesizer layout and de-coupled lanes. Or I'll just stick with Thesys.

That I've not experienced yet, what device and iOS version?
    Personally I'm waiting for Atom to get support CC automation :)

• Happens on both the Mini 2 and Mini 5. Both iOS12.2. The step window goes gray. I think I posted a pic in the StepBud discussion.

• edited May 2019

Hi,
    that's cool! thanks god it's back.

Dafont 192.168.1.1 FileHippo