Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Squaresynth is back -squaresynth2 8 bits synth Auv3

Comments

• @RockySmalls said:
    @Samu ( or indeed anyone else ) can you share anything on the au automation functioning in cubasis yet?

In current version no AU automation since no AU parameters are exposed to the host.
    Even without automation it's still plenty usable :)

I do hope the developer gives it some more love since freezing a track in Cubasis containing Squaresyth 2 silences the plug-in(ie. it needs to be un-loaded and re-loaded to get the sound back).

• @Samu said:

@RockySmalls said:
    @Samu ( or indeed anyone else ) can you share anything on the au automation functioning in cubasis yet?

In current version no AU automation since no AU parameters are exposed to the host.
    Even without automation it's still plenty usable :)

I do hope the developer gives it some more love since freezing a track in Cubasis containing Squaresyth 2 silences the plug-in(ie. it needs to be un-loaded and re-loaded to get the sound back).

ah! thanks Samu... seems like the same old story.. re cubasis ... are the au parameters exposed in other hosts eg: Apematrix
    or has dev left that bit ‘until later’ as it were..

• @RockySmalls said:

ah! thanks Samu... seems like the same old story.. re cubasis ... are the au parameters exposed in other hosts eg: Apematrix

No AU parameters to any host most likely meaning that AU parameters are not implemented yet...

• @Samu said:

@RockySmalls said:

No AU parameters to any host most likely meaning that AU parameters are not implemented yet...

oh! i can’t work out if that is reassuring or not :smiley:

• @RockySmalls said:

Even without any kind of 'external' automation it's still a very nice too for creating chip-sounds.
    The tables can be used to modulate pitch, oscillator, wave, pulse-width, filter & gain and can be 48 steps long and run crazy fast :)

• @Samu said:

@RockySmalls said:

Even without any kind of 'external' automation it's still a very nice too for creating chip-sounds.
    The tables can be used to modulate pitch, oscillator, wave, pulse-width, filter & gain and can be 48 steps long and run crazy fast :)

but.... can they run crazy sssslllloooowwwww ?
    i am, of course, still tempted by this despite auto-lack.. it won’t break the bank, though my head is being turned by the Au hussy that is KQ minisynth!! :)

• @RockySmalls said:

Depends, 8 'steps' at slowest speed measured by ear is about ~1s
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1zvaekzll98lkz/square.mp4?dl=0

it won’t break the bank, though my head is being turned by the Au hussy that is KQ minisynth!! :)

That one is also quite nice to mess around it even though it can sometimes hurt my eyes :D

• @Samu said:

@RockySmalls said:

Depends, 8 'steps' at slowest speed measured by ear is about ~1s
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1zvaekzll98lkz/square.mp4?dl=0

it won’t break the bank, though my head is being turned by the Au hussy that is KQ minisynth!! :)

That one is also quite nice to mess around it even though it can sometimes hurt my eyes :D

many thanks for the movie.. what about dinner though? :)
    .. so you are saying that with 48 steps you can make a cycle of aprox 6 seconds at 120 bpm... possibly 12 seconds at 80bpm? or is speed independent of tempo?

• @RockySmalls said:

.. so you are saying that with 48 steps you can make a cycle of aprox 6 seconds at 120 bpm... possibly 12 seconds at 80bpm? or is speed independent of tempo?

As far as I can see there is no tempo sync, same goes for the LFO's.

For example the SID chip-tunes update the sound-chip values each VBL(50Hz, 20ms per tick) on a PAL chip for single speed tunes. Then came the crazy ones that used double & quad(5ms per tick) and even faster players to cram the crap out of the chip all within limits of C64 CPU.

Fastest I've seen so far is 8 speed and there's barely no CPU left on the ~1Mhz CPU :)
    (The 'faster' chip update speeds allow some creative almost sample-like sound-design not to be mixed up with 'sample playback' messing with the 4-bit volume-register).

For more 'advanced' chip-automation it's best to use a tracker for 100% tick accurate control.
    (SunVox is amazing at this).

• indeedy,, and, judging from yr little movie clip, there would be tons of fun au automating the speed of the tables themselves from slowest to audio rate-ish :)

• @RockySmalls said:
    indeedy,, and, judging from yr little movie clip, there would be tons of fun au automating the speed of the tables themselves from slowest to audio rate-ish :)

Yeah, that's what one can easily do in SunVox :)
    (Ie. automate the bpm/tick value that get's sent to the meta-module that produces the actual sound)

I do wish it was possible to have individual speeds per table in Squaresynth 2 though.
    As it is now all tables share the same speed setting but the other parameters are independent.

The developer was also working on a iOS chip-tracker of some kind so maybe that's on the road map for Squaresynth 2 as well?
    (I've not yet gotten any reply when I sent one using the contact form. I wanted to highlight the freeze issues so they could be fixed. The e-mail I used before for sparse communication just bounces back).

• @Samu said:

@RockySmalls said:
    indeedy,, and, judging from yr little movie clip, there would be tons of fun au automating the speed of the tables themselves from slowest to audio rate-ish :)

Yeah, that's what one can easily do in SunVox :)
    (Ie. automate the bpm/tick value that get's sent to the meta-module that produces the actual sound)

I do wish it was possible to have individual speeds per table in Squaresynth 2 though.
    As it is now all tables share the same speed setting but the other parameters are independent.

The developer was also working on a iOS chip-tracker of some kind so maybe that's on the road map for Squaresynth 2 as well?
    (I've not yet gotten any reply when I sent one using the contact form. I wanted to highlight the freeze issues so they could be fixed. The e-mail I used before for sparse communication just bounces back).

oh! that’s a slight minus mark for having the tables share the same speed parameter :( though you would want them synced for some porpoises.. unsync option would be way better.. he/she has made the app and put it out there so must be around somewhere.. one could forgive a small hiatus after getting the app to this stage though :)

• @RockySmalls said:

oh! that’s a slight minus mark for having the tables share the same speed parameter :( though you would want them synced for some porpoises.. unsync option would be way better..

You can choose if the table(s) re-start on key-press or continue from the last played step.
    This can add some extra animation when using longer tables, one option here would be to advance the table with one step on each key-press but that's just me trying to find stuff that can be added lol...

This is the initial release and we have no clue about the 'roadmap' for this app :D

• The iPad update dropped this morning!

I've now collected all my 'findings'(In Stand-Alone & AUv3 with multiple hosts etc.) and forwarded them to the developer. Needless to say for chip-sound addicts this app is a must have :)

• @Samu said:
    The iPad update dropped this morning!

I've now collected all my 'findings'(In Stand-Alone & AUv3 with multiple hosts etc.) and forwarded them to the developer. Needless to say for chip-sound addicts this app is a must have :)

Thanks Samu, looks like he fixed more of your findings last month.

Dec 4, 2018

• New Preset patches.
    • Colors are more muted.
    • Line Graph Display table automation.
    • Audio Unit (AUv3) parameters writable in host.
    • Fixed Pitch Sweep bug on iPad.

How's the CPU hit? Ultra-low like Troublemaker or elsa? Or a bit higher like Phasemaker or iceGear? Sorry, gotta ask, will be stuck with an Air 1 for a bit longer.

• does this have both midi in and out?

• @ocelot said:

How's the CPU hit? Ultra-low like Troublemaker or elsa? Or a bit higher like Phasemaker or iceGear? Sorry, gotta ask, will be stuck with an Air 1 for a bit longer.

It's very easy on the CPU like a few % on the Air 2.

• @kobamoto said:
    does this have both midi in and out?

I use it as an AUv3 so I honestly don't care about that at all to be honest...

The stand-alone app is 8-part multi-timbral so Midi In works.
    There are way better on-screen keyboard-apps for performing and external recording like the amazing KB-1 and that does transmit Midi :)

• @Samu said:

@kobamoto said:
    does this have both midi in and out?

I use it as an AUv3 so I honestly don't care about that at all to be honest...

The stand-alone app is 8-part multi-timbral so Midi In works.
    There are way better on-screen keyboard-apps for performing and external recording like the amazing KB-1 and that does transmit Midi :)

well I hope it does, love v1

• Thanks @Samu Got it! Also got e-l-s-a last month based on your input. So helpful.
    Love these old-school (with modern features) apps!

• edited January 2019

Crossing my fingers the dev will fix the Pitch Sweep+Glide sliders not working in the AU plugin. (Drawing AU automations for Pitch Sweep works, but not for Glide...Both do work in the standalone.) Sent an email.

What are the little white squares next to Vibrato, PWM, Filter?

It would neato if more waves could be added and turn it into the early wavetable VCO by Richter, Grosse, Blacet...That would make a rad new synth called 'SuperWaveformCitySynth'. But SquareSynth 2 is plenty deep with it's table and per parameter looping...

• edited February 2019

EDIT: This was fixed Feb 4 2019.

What are the little white squares next to Vibrato, PWM, Filter?

LFO Sync buttons

Crossing my fingers the dev will fix the Pitch Sweep+Glide sliders not working in the AU plugin. (Drawing AU automations for Pitch Sweep works, but not for Glide...Both do work in the standalone.) Sent an email.

EDIT: This was fixed Feb 4 2019.

• @Samu any idea if the pitch sweep and glide issues are going to get fixed?

• @rezidue said:
    @Samu any idea if the pitch sweep and glide issues are going to get fixed?

Have the issues been reported?
    The developer is usually quite responsive, try the form here.
    http://www.sonickitten.com/about/

• @Samu said:

@rezidue said:
    @Samu any idea if the pitch sweep and glide issues are going to get fixed?

Have the issues been reported?
    The developer is usually quite responsive, try the form here.
    http://www.sonickitten.com/about/

Thanks!

• He got back to me right away and said he added it to his bug tracker.

• @ocelot said:

It would neato if more waves could be added and turn it into the early wavetable VCO by Richter, Grosse, Blacet...That would make a rad new synth called 'SuperWaveformCitySynth'

With your own waveforms e-l-s-a is very much like the waveform city. e-l-s-a is missing the 'play' the wavetable with external waveforms/samples, process voltages, wavetable lfo's, and the sound of its low fi DAC, but the rest of it's there. Import a wavetable and modulate the start and end, single cycle waveforms, etc.

Create waveforms with Gross's Single Cycle Waveform Editor, Galbanum waveforms, etc.

For the processing component of the waveform city, try audio damage grind. subtle or extreme, it's deep. I wish It was capable of waveforms import, and use as a wavetable synth. ( also made the request to audio damage ).

• @ocelot update just came out with fix and some extra features. Confirmed both sliders work as intended now. Now has sawtooth wave, unison mode, some scaling adjustments and better memory utilization and stability.

• @rezidue said:
    @ocelot update just came out with fix and some extra features. Confirmed both sliders work as intended now. Now has sawtooth wave, unison mode, some scaling adjustments and better memory utilization and stability.

Awesome.
    Thanks for informing.
    B)