Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fav sequencer for hardware?

Comments

• @SevenSystems said:

@ElectroHead said:

@rs2000 said:
    Well, @SevenSystems has confirmed it and he has clearly stated why he has chosen to do so.
    If you need a sequencer that does it, you can still use GR-16 or Genome MIDI for example.
    Or Gadget, if you don't need to sequence external gear from the iPad.
    I had to learn for myself to make the best out of what's available already. And it's always a compromise.

Back to Modstep for me then. Seven Systems have said that Midi clock slave is in the planning but won't come soon, becausr it will require "rebuilding" core elements of the system.. But I've learned to never get hopes up about promised new functionality, be it from harware maufacturers or iOS developpers. I was foolish enough to purchase Xequencer + drum map and 12 ccs per track only to discover lack of clock in ggrrrr.

In fairness, it's stated clearly in the App Store description, which uses every single of the 3000 characters available to describe the included features (and limitations) as accurately as possible.

At no point did I suggest you provided misleading information. And I know I've only myself to blame for not checking!

• @ElectroHead said:

@SevenSystems said:

@ElectroHead said:

@rs2000 said:
    Well, @SevenSystems has confirmed it and he has clearly stated why he has chosen to do so.
    If you need a sequencer that does it, you can still use GR-16 or Genome MIDI for example.
    I had to learn for myself to make the best out of what's available already. And it's always a compromise.

Back to Modstep for me then. Seven Systems have said that Midi clock slave is in the planning but won't come soon, becausr it will require "rebuilding" core elements of the system.. But I've learned to never get hopes up about promised new functionality, be it from harware maufacturers or iOS developpers. I was foolish enough to purchase Xequencer + drum map and 12 ccs per track only to discover lack of clock in ggrrrr.

In fairness, it's stated clearly in the App Store description, which uses every single of the 3000 characters available to describe the included features (and limitations) as accurately as possible.

At no point did I suggest you provided misleading information. And I know I've only myself to blame for not checking!

OK, sorry, misunderstood you then. Not always easy when communicating only with symbols :) hope you can be productive with Modstep then.

• @SevenSystems said:

@ElectroHead said:

@SevenSystems said:

@ElectroHead said:

@rs2000 said:

OK, sorry, misunderstood you then. Not always easy when communicating only with symbols :) hope you can be productive with Modstep then.

You're doing a great job communicating with and quickly proviiding support to users. One more thang. Is Midi clock in still in the works?

• @ElectroHead no need to go into such details - everyone knows that audio isn't midi.
    Therefore the comment was labeled 'example' (for side effects not immediately obvious).
    To me it just makes sense to straighten things as done in Xequencer.
    I doesn't please everyone (as mentioned), but delivers a rock solid base.

• @Telefunky said:
    @ElectroHead no need to go into such details - everyone knows that audio isn't midi.

Just seemed you were confusing the two. I just pointed out that the "blurred" sound you described has nothing to do with midi clock precision as your post implied.

• edited October 2018

In Midi-world someone might come up with comments like: but Xequence isn't tight... if the midi clock was 'spoiled' by whatever was fed from outside into the system. ;)
    The audio example is indeed slightly off for IOS, but it's a crucial part of studio setups.
    And it explains why some productions deliver more clarity and definition despite soundsources being almost identical.

• I'll be blunt. Other than modstep there isn't any dawish app that receives midi clock in. Also. Modstep unlike xequence is actually pretty fine with tempo changes from other ableton link apps. So for at least a live situation where tempo keeps changing modstep is the clear winner for now.

• edited October 2018

I think the other nice thing about Modstep is that when you have a lot of gear connected to it it’s really fast to get around to these instruments in a couple different ways.

I just find the workflow of modstep best in class for what it does.

Jakob does a great series of tutorials here highlighting the workflow and benefits:

Playlist:

I think the big question to ask is, “Do you like working from a more traditional timeline, or do you like working from a clip launcher perspective like Ableton?”

If the answer is more traditional timeline then something like Xequence or Cubasis or Beatmaker can work.

If you like the Clip Launcher workflow then ModStep is the way to go.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'll be blunt. Other than modstep there isn't any dawish app that receives midi clock in.

Except Gadget that is ;)

• @rs2000 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'll be blunt. Other than modstep there isn't any dawish app that receives midi clock in.

Except Gadget that is ;)

But gadget cannot drive hardware synths. Which is precisely what this thread is about lol.

• I've finally landed at ModStep. But, I'm still in the "7 days of ModStep" to famiarize myself suitably with it. Quirky l'il sonofa.

• edited October 2018

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@rs2000 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Except Gadget that is ;)

But gadget cannot drive hardware synths. Which is precisely what this thread is about lol.

Oh well, I guess it's about time for me to take a break & make some music :p

• edited October 2018

@kinkujin said:
    I've finally landed at ModStep. But, I'm still in the "7 days of ModStep" to famiarize myself suitably with it. Quirky l'il sonofa.

Congrats. Be sure to watch the Jakob and AudioDabbler links above to get your orientation.

• edited October 2018

Personal attack deleted.

• Xequence is personally my app of the year. Does everything I’ve been looking for in my particular setup and does it so smoothly too.

• @Strizbiz said:
    Personal attack deleted.

lol, I responded to a personal attack on me, and my response gets deleted, priceless…lol

• Senode is not best for recording notes, but I find it quite useful for hardware (and live performance) because each note's probability can be set seperately, which allows for dynamic, slightly changing sequences.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'll be blunt. Other than modstep there isn't any dawish app that receives midi clock in. Also. Modstep unlike xequence is actually pretty fine with tempo changes from other ableton link apps. So for at least a live situation where tempo keeps changing modstep is the clear winner for now.

luckily there's a simple remedy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-link-sync/id1071048493?mt=8

I use this to sync link enabled apps with my Pyramid. it's a dream setup and sync is flawless.

• @palm said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'll be blunt. Other than modstep there isn't any dawish app that receives midi clock in. Also. Modstep unlike xequence is actually pretty fine with tempo changes from other ableton link apps. So for at least a live situation where tempo keeps changing modstep is the clear winner for now.

I use this to sync link enabled apps with my Pyramid. it's a dream setup and sync is flawless.

Cool. Have you used it to slave the Xequencer to Pyramid?

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Telefunky summed it up quite nicely, Xequence is intended to be the "MIDI hub" in a multi-device/app setup, so it only has sync out. I understand that's not the way that works for everybody, but when you design a complex app, especially with the economic margins on iOS ;), you have to make compromises.

Indeed I will admit the whole transport engine in Xequence is very rigid, that's also the reason it doesn't handle tempo ramps or even abrupt changes very well. It's a design compromise. It's at the same time the tightest on iOS though as far as I know, as long as you stick to your tempo! :D

Big respect for keeping Xequence as focused and smooth as possible. It really is super impressive. If you were to ever embark on a seperate multitrack audio editor I would be super excited.

• @AudioGus said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @Telefunky summed it up quite nicely, Xequence is intended to be the "MIDI hub" in a multi-device/app setup, so it only has sync out. I understand that's not the way that works for everybody, but when you design a complex app, especially with the economic margins on iOS ;), you have to make compromises.

Indeed I will admit the whole transport engine in Xequence is very rigid, that's also the reason it doesn't handle tempo ramps or even abrupt changes very well. It's a design compromise. It's at the same time the tightest on iOS though as far as I know, as long as you stick to your tempo! :D

Big respect for keeping Xequence as focused and smooth as possible. It really is super impressive. If you were to ever embark on a seperate multitrack audio editor I would be super excited.

Thanks... an audio editor was once an idea I had considered (I still miss Cool Edit Pro!). There is a new project going on though, and "audio" has something to do with it ;)

• edited October 2018

@SevenSystems said:

@AudioGus said:

@SevenSystems said:

Thanks... an audio editor was once an idea I had considered (I still miss Cool Edit Pro!). There is a new project going on though, and "audio" has something to do with it ;)

This is the second time I have heard this now... :) ...sounds like my game may change for the better.

• @palm said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

How flawless though? I gave that a try once and couldn't get even close to what I'd need. There is a bit of a disclaimer on how well it will actually work depending on the quality of the MIDI clock. Have you tried it with anything other than the Pyramid?

• @BroCoast said:

@palm said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

How flawless though? I gave that a try once and couldn't get even close to what I'd need. There is a bit of a disclaimer on how well it will actually work depending on the quality of the MIDI clock. Have you tried it with anything other than the Pyramid?

I've been runnig Midi Link Sync with different h/w sync sources (i.e. Geooveboxes) and most iOS LINK clients were syncing quite well. Not as immediate as MIDI clock because a LINK member always has to "catch up" to the beat clock, but one could live with that. I also found the offset timing slider in Midi Link Sync very useful for getting all members into tight sync. I just don't need it anymore because I've found a setup that works great (no delays, no timing drifts) with MIDI sync and I always prefer to work with as few apps as possible to achieve one goal ;)

• @rs2000 said:

@BroCoast said:

@palm said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

I've been runnig Midi Link Sync with different h/w sync sources (i.e. Geooveboxes) and most iOS LINK clients were syncing quite well. Not as immediate as MIDI clock because a LINK member always has to "catch up" to the beat clock, but one could live with that. I also found the offset timing slider in Midi Link Sync very useful for getting all members into tight sync. I just don't need it anymore because I've found a setup that works great (no delays, no timing drifts) with MIDI sync and I always prefer to work with as few apps as possible to achieve one goal ;)

Yeah I'm with ya on as few apps as possible. I like to avoid Link when possible but it has improved compared to when it was an art to get everything on the 1. Although sometimes that made for nice happy accidents from a sequence being offset.

• @SevenSystems said:

Dear lord please let it be a sample slicing and sequencing app that has parameter locks, way more interesting fx than those tired ole bit crusher, reverb, delay, and please let it work in stand alone capacity and include import/export to audio share.. please...lord,.... are...you..there?

• @kobamoto said:

@SevenSystems said:

Dear lord please let it be a sample slicing and sequencing app that has parameter locks, way more interesting fx than those tired ole bit crusher, reverb, delay, and please let it work in stand alone capacity and include import/export to audio share.. please...lord,.... are...you..there?

You do realise gr16 fits this bill quite nicely right ? It even has support for nested folders now via the files app.

• @ElectroHead said:

@palm said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Cool. Have you used it to slave the Xequencer to Pyramid?

I haven't found any reason to use two sequencers, seems like it would get too messy. I see no reason why it wouldn't work though.

• @BroCoast said:

@palm said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

the quality of the Pyramid's clock is fantastic. To be clear, I'm using link sync in order to circumvent problems with link and apps that don't accept midi clock directly (cough AUM__!!). True there is a slight pickup with any synced delays when Play is first engaged, but that's really no issue as I'm mostly using hardware. Clocking things like Spacecraft, Step Poly Arp, Patterning, etc.. = super tight.