Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fav sequencer for hardware?

So with all the options, help me choose a sequencer for my hardware synths.
It must record midi notes in REAL time
(steptime kills my work flow/creativity).
Suggestions?

Comments

• edited October 2018

Xequence is the app I now use for all Midi Sequencing. It’s had so many new features added this year. Multitrack recording of incoming midi was added just last week. Which may be useful in your setup?

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Xequence is the app I now use for all Midi Sequencing. It’s had so many new features added this year. Multitrack recording of incoming midi was added just last week. Which may be useful in your setup?

Great thx, yes im trying them all. Wish fugue machine recorded midi input notes😔

• @breilly said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Great thx, yes im trying them all. Wish fugue machine recorded midi input notes😔

Yeah, that’s on my wish list for Fugue too. Or midi file import even.

• edited October 2018

Squarp Pyramid reigns supreme .. And that other drum machine /sequencer thing that looks a bit like Push .. starts w a D

• @Telstar5 said:
    Squarp Pyramid reigns supreme .. And that other drum machine /sequencer thing that looks a bit like Push .. starts w a D

D = deluge

• I’ve been using Groove Rider but it’s pretty limited, but at least it’s easy and quick to use, unlike some other iOS sequencers where it takes a while to set everything up. If all you need are 8 bars (you can pattern chain for more, but playing 100% live is trickier), like to quantize (the unquantized mode sounds very quantized), and only play in 4/4, 3/4/ or 6/8 then I’d say try it out.

I just got Xequence but haven’t had a chance to try it, but it seems like it might be the way to go. Half way decent PPQ rating and any time signature!!

• I like Modstep, it will record in realtime though limited to a 16 bar pattern. I.e. you can turn off quantize and just record freely, but yoid be recording in 16 bar chunks.

So linear one like Xesquence may be more what you want, but I mention it also for serious ease of use with hardware. It is literally 4 clicks total to set up a hardware synth. Options, assign, arm, assign.

• Awesome thx. Hey does xequence allow for seperate track length?
    Do any? (similar togadget style)

@Multicellular said:

I like Modstep, it will record in realtime though limited to a 16 bar pattern. I.e. you can turn off quantize and just record freely, but yoid be recording in 16 bar chunks.

So linear one like Xesquence may be more what you want, but I mention it also for serious ease of use with hardware. It is literally 4 clicks total to set up a hardware synth. Options, assign, arm, assign.

• @Telstar5 said:
    Squarp Pyramid reigns supreme .. And that other drum machine /sequencer thingdoes does squarp allow seperate track lengths? How is the ease of use on the fly?

- thx

• @breilly said:
    Awesome thx. Hey does xequence allow for seperate track length?
    Do any? (similar togadget style)

Yes, of course, Xequence lets you arrange freely without any restrictions or predefined structure, but also lets you easily loop parts, separately per track, if you like / need it. It also has clones. The App Store description has a good overview of features.

• edited October 2018

My vote is for ModStep. Workflow is fast and easy once you understand the flow. I’ve tried them all and it’s the one i keep going back to.

I love that it offersa traditional Piano Roll and Step Sequencer view in the same app. Plus access to a ton of modulation parameters. The team did a great job of building a performance oriented sequencer in my opinion.

If you like using Ableton you will like the clip launching workflow of ModStep.

• Take note. Xequencer does not slave to midi clock, so you can't use it as a subsequencer, nor as main sequencer following midi clock from whatever hardware,. Without midi clock in Xequencer it's pretty much useless for me. Modstep, however, slaves nicely. but I find the UI and setting things up in Modstep a bit fiddly. I much prefer the UI in Xequencer, just a shame about the major ommission in functionality making it useless for many set-ups.

• Imho the 'non-slaving' if Xequencer isn't a design flaw.
    To me it looks much like the centerpiece of a Midi studio setup and such scenarios are usually best served by a unique clock provider.
    Similiar to a central wordclock with digital audio connections. May seem a minor difference, but (for example) you can't properly time align the audio streams of an iConnectivity interface within a multi-device setup for the lack of a common digital clock.
    (it's all analog audio based and drifts considerably - not a total showstopper, but noticable)

• @Telefunky said:
    Imho the 'non-slaving' if Xequencer isn't a design flaw.
    To me it looks much like the centerpiece of a Midi studio setup and such scenarios are usually best served by a unique clock provider.
    Similiar to a central wordclock with digital audio connections. May seem a minor difference, but (for example) you can't properly time align the audio streams of an iConnectivity interface within a multi-device setup for the lack of a common digital clock.
    (it's all analog audio based and drifts considerably - not a total showstopper, but noticable)

I noticed Xequence says best in class MIDI clock. Has anyone measured?

Definitely not a flaw if it's clock is unrivalled. I make my own "clock" in BM3, MIDI clock is outdated really.

• edited October 2018

@Telefunky said:

When something is flawed, it is made/implemented incorrectly. Since Midi clock in is not available in Xequence, it's an ommission, not a flaw.

To me it looks much like the centerpiece of a Midi studio setup and such scenarios are usually best served by a unique clock provider.>

Indeed, you can't have two clock sources simultaneously. What would be the point antway?

you can't properly time align the audio streams of an iConnectivity interface within a multi-device setup for the lack of a common digital clock.

Wrong. I'm getting negligable audio latency and tight midi sync driving iOS synths / fx from a hardware sequencer sending master clock via iConnectvity 2+. When latency becomes noticble you use clock delay compensation. This was much more of an issue with earlier soundcards and DAWs.

FYI slave to external midi clock was ilemented in Ableton Live about a decade ago.

• @ElectroHead said:

@Telefunky said:

When something is flawed, it is made/implemented incorrectly. Since Midi clock in is not available in Xequence, it's an ommission, not a flaw.

To me it looks much like the centerpiece of a Midi studio setup and such scenarios are usually best served by a unique clock provider.>

Indeed, you can't have two clock sources simultaneously. What would be the point antway?

you can't properly time align the audio streams of an iConnectivity interface within a multi-device setup for the lack of a common digital clock.

Wrong. I'm getting negligable audio latency and tight midi sync driving iOS synths / fx from a hardware sequencer sending master clock via iConnectvity 2+. When latency becomes noticble you use clock delay compensation. This was much more of an issue with earlier soundcards and DAWs.

FYI slave to external midi clock was ilemented in Ableton Live about a decade ago.

What do you use for a master clock?

• @Telefunky summed it up quite nicely, Xequence is intended to be the "MIDI hub" in a multi-device/app setup, so it only has sync out. I understand that's not the way that works for everybody, but when you design a complex app, especially with the economic margins on iOS ;), you have to make compromises.

Indeed I will admit the whole transport engine in Xequence is very rigid, that's also the reason it doesn't handle tempo ramps or even abrupt changes very well. It's a design compromise. It's at the same time the tightest on iOS though as far as I know, as long as you stick to your tempo! :D

• What do you use for a master clock?

Octatrack

• edited October 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    Xequence is intended to be the "MIDI hub" in a multi-device/app setup, so it only has sync out. I understand that's not the way that works for everybody, but when you design a complex app, especially with the economic margins on iOS ;), you have to make compromises.>

I would say Ableton Live is certainly designed to be a MIDI hub in a multi-device/app setup.... but it slaves to Midi Clock. Same goes for Modstep.

• @ElectroHead said:

Octatrack

I see why you need apps to slave then. Octatrack is almost MPC level tight.

• Beatmaker 2 is a good option , plus you don’t have to pay an extra in app purchase for unlimited tracks.

• @BroCoast said:

@ElectroHead said:

Octatrack

Exactly, and that's the point for people using hardware boxes attached to iPads.
    Octatrack, Digitakt, hardware Electribes, Circuit, Modular, hardware MIDI sequencers and so on - MIDI clock is the only way to sync them properly, including wild dynamic tempo changes, tempo nudge, start, stop, continue, instant song positioning. Everything happens instantly, with delays in the low millisecond range (unless you're using a buggy iOS app).
    Ableton LINK is made for a very different scenario and does not really compete with MIDI clock although there's some overlap of course in that it syncs devices with each other :)

• @rs2000 said:
    Exactly, and that's the point for people using hardware boxes attached to iPads.
    Octatrack, Digitakt, hardware Electribes, Circuit, Modular, hardware MIDI sequencers and so on - MIDI clock is the only way to sync them properly>

Given the wide choice of HW sequencers now available, the advances in iOS music apps with many at least on par with VSTs, it's obvious that many people now want to slave iOS apps to external clock. But Xequencer can't join the party. This is a huge shame. In my view it's a blatant ommission, not a compromise.

• @rs2000 said:

@BroCoast said:

@ElectroHead said:

Octatrack

Octatrack, Digitakt, hardware Electribes, Circuit, Modular, hardware MIDI sequencers and so on - MIDI clock is the only way to sync them properly, including wild dynamic tempo changes, tempo nudge, start, stop, continue, instant song positioning. Everything happens instantly, with delays in the low millisecond range (unless you're using a buggy iOS app).
    Ableton LINK is made for a very different scenario and does not really compete with MIDI clock although there's some overlap of course in that it syncs devices with each other :)

It's not the only way ;)

I sync my modular from BM3 with CC max/min value trick. Much tighter than any MIDI clock, but not much good if you have gear with only MIDI option. In that case I use MPC60.

No Ableton link here.

• @ElectroHead said:

@rs2000 said:
    Octatrack, Digitakt, hardware Electribes, Circuit, Modular, hardware MIDI sequencers and so on - MIDI clock is the only way to sync them properly>

Given the wide choice of HW sequencers now available, the advances in iOS music apps with many at least on par with VSTs, it's obvious that many people now want to slave iOS apps to external clock. But Xequencer can't join the party. This is a huge shame. In my view it's a blatant ommission, not a compromise.

Well, @SevenSystems has confirmed it and he has clearly stated why he has chosen to do so.
    If you need a sequencer that does it, you can still use GR-16 or Genome MIDI for example.
    Or Gadget, if you don't need to sequence external gear from the iPad.
    I had to learn for myself to make the best out of what's available already. And it's always a compromise.

• edited October 2018

@Strizbiz said:
    Beatmaker 2 is a good option , plus you don’t have to pay an extra in app purchase for unlimited tracks.

OK mister, I'll now put this straight as this is simply one too many, and I'm happy to risk being banned from this forum.

You really have some kind of problem. You leave one star reviews because an "App's metronome is too loud" (Modstep), or because "the app doesn't have black keys" (Xequence). Now you're pissed because a full sophisticated MIDI workstation costs a mind blowing $4.99 so you can try it out and the developer dares to ask $9.99 more if you want to use more tracks (which makes a whopping $14.98 for an extremely powerful arranger, pianoroll, controller editor, one of the best keyboard controllers anywhere with 70 scales included, all in a rock solid, stable package.). Oh did I mention full Audiobus support.

It's getting old fast :)

• @rs2000 said:
    Well, @SevenSystems has confirmed it and he has clearly stated why he has chosen to do so.
    If you need a sequencer that does it, you can still use GR-16 or Genome MIDI for example.
    I had to learn for myself to make the best out of what's available already. And it's always a compromise.

Back to Modstep for me then. Seven Systems have said that Midi clock slave is in the planning but won't come soon, becausr it will require "rebuilding" core elements of the system.. But I've learned to never get hopes up about promised new functionality, be it from harware maufacturers or iOS developpers. I was foolish enough to purchase Xequencer + drum map and 12 ccs per track only to discover lack of clock in ggrrrr.

• edited October 2018

@ElectroHead said:

@rs2000 said:

Back to Modstep for me then. Seven Systems have said that Midi clock slave is in the planning but won't come soon, becausr it will require "rebuilding" core elements of the system.. But I've learned to never get hopes up about promised new functionality, be it from harware maufacturers or iOS developpers. I was foolish enough to purchase Xequencer + drum map and 12 ccs per track only to discover lack of clock in ggrrrr.

In fairness, it's stated clearly in the App Store description, which uses the entire length permitted by Apple to describe the included features (and limitations) as accurately as possible.

• @ElectroHead said:

@Telefunky said:

sorry, you didn't read my comment porperly - it was about audio wordclock, NOT Midi ;)
    Intended as an example about word clock (which the iCA lacks) importance.
    If an iPad is used like an external effect box (via the iCA4+ analog in/outs) the mix may be slightly blurred. Rest assured I've tested it thoroughly with 2 digitally synced systems, a 19" (analog) rack processor and then the iCA replacing the latter.
    But this won't keep me from using the iCA with external devices - it's just not optimal.

• edited October 2018

@Telefunky said:
    sorry, you didn't read my comment porperly - it was about audio wordclock, NOT Midi ;)
    Intended as an example about word clock (which the iCA lacks) importance.
    If an iPad is used like an external effect box (via the iCA4+ analog in/outs) the mix may be slightly blurred. Rest assured I've tested it thoroughly with 2 digitally synced systems, a 19" (analog) rack processor and then the iCA replacing the latter.
    But this won't keep me from using the iCA with external devices - it's just not optimal.

I'm pretty sure I read your comment "properly" but for me at least, your point wasn't clear. Word clock is for syncing sample rates between two digital devices and is different to clock sync (metronome). TBH I don''t know if there are any iOS apps which can send / receive Word Clock. Cubasis and Auria maybe?

When you say blurred, do you mean degraded audio quality, or timing issues? If I recall, there is no sample delay compensation in AUM for example, meaning that there is a slight delay which can result in phasing, even when effecting audio is fx bus. But this is audio and nothing to do with Midi clock or SPDIF clock sync.The iConnectivity D/A converters are ok in my view but certainly not RME quality. I mostly stream audio from iPad to multiple chaannels in Cubase on PC meaning no D/A conversion