Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it just me, or do "Reviews" feel like Commercials

Comments

• @RUST( i )K said:
    There are some who are utterly UNWATCHABLE.

I am actually thinking about doing my own Youtube because so many suck to me anyway.

I know "everyone loves everyone" and all the "thanks for the great vid' comments.

But that is crap.

There is one person in particular that may be a super nice guy.

BUT HIS VIDS MAKE ME WANT TO SMASH MY MACBOOK!

Haha amen !!!!
    We should team up and make screen capture reviews

• wow > @99476598326 said:

i reviewed Unklepop drum and I was honest and i got my post removed. honesty = deletion.

• I like this guy. He needs more love on this thread, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ipadloops

• Would everyone rather I stopped posting my demos here? I really don’t want to upset anyone and it’s clear I do

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Would everyone rather I stopped posting my demos here? I really don’t want to upset anyone and it’s clear I do

Gosh! Please keep posting them here. I like your approach and you've taught me alot. Keep on man!!!!

Would everyone rather I stopped posting my demos here? I really don’t want to upset anyone and it’s clear I do

You will always upset someone, so don’t fret about that.
    Please keep posting. I am sure you have 100x more fans around here than haters.
    And finally, thank you, Doug, for all you contribute to this iOS music scene.

• @CracklePot said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

You will always upset someone, so don’t fret about that.
    Please keep posting. I am sure you have 100x more fans around here than haters.
    And finally, thank you, Doug, for all you contribute to this iOS music scene.

Ditto. Don't bite Sir Doug.

I like your approach to vids Doug. As others have said, it’s always part of you tube vids having the odd person who dislikes what you do - same for everyone.

You have always supported our community here, so it’s just right you post your vids here.

I personally like the style you have and just imagine you being a really friendly guy. Yep some people want highly technical vids, but that shouldn’t mean we can’t have your relaxed down to earth and fun vids too.

Keep posting until you personally don’t want to do it any more :)

Never ever even think about it.
    It‘s simple a fact that you are one of the few which i almost always look for a new video when it comes to iOS. Nobody is perfect and we all upset other people in some ways.
    It‘s true that there are maybe not that much reviews, deep tutorials and stuff (of course a few are there) but i really think iOS needs you.
    All the best to you!

• @Fruitbat1919 Thanks😎 I have always made the videos the same way and I honestly just don’t demo apps I don’t like, even if I get a code, I alway tell developers that I will only demo it if I personally like it. I’ve even turned down money because I don’t like an app. And I can honestly count on one hand the developers who paid me to make demos, and the same rules alway apply, I make it my way like all the other videos, no script, no edits, just the app. Which is probably why I’m always poor and broke😂

I try to be honest and yes I may be overly enthusiastic most of the time but that’s just me, I don’t post everything here because that would be silly, I do a fair few hardware demos as well but most of those stay on YouTube and of course the new Daily Noodle app demos are only on YouTube too, but they are just fun app snippets in mono with screen record.

• @thesoundtestroom I’m quite amazed you get to know some of the apps as well as you do sometimes. The few reviews I did, I soon found out how time consuming it is to get to know an app quickly enough to get a review out while the interest is there.

Your vids give us that ‘what are we going to see straight away’ feel - sometimes the only thing we can get without iOS doing ‘try before you buy’. Besides a video that just harps on about apps with issues would be quite useless too if you reviewed any apps prior to release 1.1 ;) ( as in most apps are buggy to start with!)

No!

If I may offer a helpful suggestion though. Please put chapters on your videos! It just makes it easier when you don't want to watch a long video but want to see a certain feature. Thank you for all your videos.

• @thesoundtestroom : please keep on keeping on. Your videos are very helpful.

To those so willing to hate on others in strong terms, I encourage you to start posting your own reviews and demos.

Even if someone's work is not to your liking:

• there's no reason to be mean about it. Be humble. There are ways of expressing that something isn't your cup of tea without being cruel and acting like you are the arbiter of quality and truth.

• realize that it might be to someone else's liking.

• While I appreciate the effort people put forth to make “reviews “, sometimes it feels like some want to hurry up and be first to make a video on an app that they haven’t learned well themselves. I understand that for some it’s about getting as many views as possible and being first probably helps with that, but I rather become a subscriber of someone who took the time to dig a little deeper and learn an app before attempting to review and teach an app and fumble thru the video.
    Also I appreciate quality over quantity. If someone is uploading a video every day, it kinda shows in their work that they’ve spent somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes with the app before making a video.

• @mindscaper said:
    You are right

I rarely watch iOS app videos these days

I know he is mr popular here and there is much love and sympathy towards him but Doug tends to waffle on and drag videos out when all that’s needed is a quick tour and how the app sounds

He is unrehearsed and makes mistakes

Jakob I cannot take seriously at all, I simply don’t watch

Apart from his scathing review of KEW, dj puzzle knows how to present an App from a producers point of view and that is what’s needed

SHOW US HOW WE CAN GET THE END RESULT FROM AN APP

in other words, a complete song

The kind of videos that you are after take a lot of time, effort, research, scripting, editing, creative thinking etc in order to level up the production to a high value. Many youtubers don’t do this unless they are intent on making this a fully self sustaining business. I guess each have their own reasons as to how high their production value should go. Maybe not enough time. Maybe not enough financial recompense balanced against the effort required. Many you tubers will eventually strike the right balance that works for their own personal circumstances. Jacobs production values have risen a lot. He is very technically savvi. And his viewership has grown accordingly. Henny is one of the review masters. Experienced technical savvy and knowhow coupled with tutorial expertise and filmed and edited with high production value.

At the end of the day there’s usually a niche for Everyone. Just like in tv and film you have different styles of programming for different demographics.

• @universe said:

@mindscaper said:
    You are right

I rarely watch iOS app videos these days

I know he is mr popular here and there is much love and sympathy towards him but Doug tends to waffle on and drag videos out when all that’s needed is a quick tour and how the app sounds

He is unrehearsed and makes mistakes

Jakob I cannot take seriously at all, I simply don’t watch

Apart from his scathing review of KEW, dj puzzle knows how to present an App from a producers point of view and that is what’s needed

SHOW US HOW WE CAN GET THE END RESULT FROM AN APP

in other words, a complete song

The kind of videos that you are after take a lot of time, effort, research, scripting, editing, creative thinking etc in order to level up the production to a high value. Many youtubers don’t do this unless they are intent on making this a fully self sustaining business. I guess each have their own reasons as to how high their production value should go. Maybe not enough time. Maybe not enough financial recompense balanced against the effort required. Many you tubers will eventually strike the right balance that works for their own personal circumstances. Jacobs production values have risen a lot. He is very technically savvi. And his viewership has grown accordingly. Henny is one of the review masters. Experienced technical savvy and knowhow coupled with tutorial expertise and filmed and edited with high production value.

At the end of the day there’s usually a niche for Everyone. Just like in tv and film you have different styles of programming for different demographics.

Very good informed points

Thank u 🙏🏻

• Reviewers tend to fall into two categories in general I find. Those who review gear that have already researched and are pretty sure they will like it (ala me), and those who receive gear from companies to review regardless of their preferences.

In the first case you don't run into too many bad reviews because the person usually uses their own money to buy it, so more than likely they know it something they will like. In the second case, while there are definitely some no BS reviewers, you always have to balance being fair, and not pissing off the manufacturer and they don't come to you again.. I think a lot of people tend to play it a bit safe in the interest of being able to continue to do what they like to do.

Please don’t stop. I enjoy your demo’s as I’m sure a lot of people do.
    ❤️

• edited October 2018

I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again. The video reviewers all have a different approach, so there’s room for everyone, and when I’m on the fence about an app the more vids I can watch the better.

Doug is my personal favourite, as he’s a similar age and character to myself, and watching his vids is a bit like going round a mates house and seeing a demo of their new app. Once I’ve bought the app, I might then watch a more technical vid for the deeper stuff - but Doug’s vids are always better for hearing what an app sounds like, and as a quick guide to getting started.

• edited October 2018

I have to resist a binary way of thinking when it comes to everything in life but I guess our brain is hardwired for categorization, survival etc.

For me what works best is watching bits and bobs from several different reviews (video and text) and collate the info into a picture which I then use to my advantage. No, I'm not a droid. ;)

It would be insane to say there's no brand bias even if money isn't involved. The human psychology is way more complex than that. I think that judgement is viewers, not reviewer's job.

So I'd like to thank the universal consciousness of the Internet and individual content providers for their effort in enriching my knowledge. Cheers folks! :)

• I take my hat off (not literally, I don’t wear one) to anyone who’s willing to take time to produce content on iOS music apps. A lot of my free time is taken up either fiddling with, or watching someone else fiddle with iOS music apps. The more the merrier, I say. :)

• edited October 2018

you may take a break with full ranting review... of Akai's Rhythm Wolf o:)

• edited October 2018

@Telefunky said:
    you may take a break with full ranting review... of Akai's Rhythm Wolf o:)

Accept this bloke (or should that be, "le mec") didn't really know what to expect from an analogue drum machine. Hilarious rant which i actually watched before i bought one, but he is pretty much completely wrong about every aspect of it, so the jokes on him really. If you buy it expecting to get an old school analogue drum machine, with it's own sequencer, midi in & out, usb midi, gate in & out, a really good sounding synth & filter with a separate out, that's great for acid bass lines, built like a tank & some pretty lights, for the princely sum of £100.00 quid, then you won't be disappointed! ;) Very funny rant though :D .......

I can’t imagine there would be a single person who would not wish to be presented with the option of watching one of Doug’s latest videos as they browse the forum... is there? The idea to me is almost in the realms of the bizarre. People can either chose to watch it or not in the blink of an eye. It’s not as though entries on the forum are filtered in order that only useful, well thought out sensible, appropriate and grammatically correct comments appear.

I am sure that anyone who may be upset has probably taken the time to do some in depth research of this matter by viewing a great many of Doug’s videos over the years in order to quantify their feelings- and will probably continue to do so since the speed with which he brings new videos to us is almost in tandem with the release of the app itself......before formulating their criticisms of the content.
    I would also assume that the music that any such detractor is making rates amongst the highest quality since they clearly have high standards- and could be enjoyed over and over by those lucky enough to hear it.

Very many people would be upset Doug- but only if you mistakenly believed that your demos were no longer wanted on the forum and stopped posting them because of this.

• @robosardine said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

I can’t imagine there would be a single person who would not wish to be presented with the option of watching one of Doug’s latest videos as they browse the forum... is there? The idea to me is almost in the realms of the bizarre. People can either chose to watch it or not in the blink of an eye. It’s not as though entries on the forum are filtered in order that only useful, well thought out sensible, appropriate and grammatically correct comments appear.

I am sure that anyone who may be upset has probably taken the time to do some in depth research of this matter by viewing a great many of Doug’s videos over the years in order to quantify their feelings- and will probably continue to do so since the speed with which he brings new videos to us is almost in tandem with the release of the app itself......before formulating their criticisms of the content.
    I would also assume that the music that any such detractor is making rates amongst the highest quality since they clearly have high standards- and could be enjoyed over and over by those lucky enough to hear it.

Very many people would be upset Doug- but only if you mistakenly believed that your demos were no longer wanted on the forum and stopped posting them because of this.

I’m confused by this should Doug post or not. No one in the history of the universe has ever managed to please every single person.

We all attract those that like us, and those that don’t. Even if we were to shower them with expensive gifts and dancing girls there are those that will still not like us for the most inexplicable reasons.

Should Doug continue posting ? If that’s what he feels like he wants to do then yes he should. If one day he feels like he doesn’t want to do it anymore then he shouldn’t. Whatever he wants. He should do. But don’t expect to please everyone because that’s just not ever going to happen. Literally that’s rule 101 of being a YouTuber. The words thick and skin come to mind.

• edited October 2018

@robosardine said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

I couldn't agree more. The people being so loud and boorish about such a long standing & respected member of the forum & the wider community should have a bit of a word with themselves. Would you walk into your local pub and insult the chap at the bar who comes in for a pint every lunchtime, practically has his own stool at the bar, & is always good to have a laugh & a natter with? I don't think so.

Doug, (nearly) everyone here appreciates your work. Please don't be put off posting your videos here because of a few thoughtless comments................ :)

• Some viewers are lazy and entitled and expect everything to be laid out nicely for them so they waste none of their valuable time, time more valuable than those who actually produce stuff and put it out there for free. Doug's huge body of work is incredibly valuable for iOS as a music-making platform.

I love YT videos as a whole. I've learned a ton and am truly grateful for this incredible resource that I wish I had years ago. I don't care if someone calls it a demo, a review, an overview, a tutorial, or a turn on the camera and see what the @#$% happens. The world ain't always gonna be handed to you. Take the time to see where a video producer is coming from. Compare with other sources of info. Maybe don't take a review as the final authoritative voice.

I find many videos useful just to see someone using an app. Sure, some are made very poorly, and amateurs often make mistakes or weren't exactly born to be professional broadcasters. But unless criticism can be constructive, whining is just that... whining. :-)

• @robosardine said:
    I can’t imagine there would be a single person who would not wish to be presented with the option of watching one of Doug’s latest videos as they browse the forum... is there?

I have no interest in his videos at all, especially not while i read a forum.
    I dont remember anybody in this thread suggesting that he shouldn't post them though, other than Doug himself, so why is it now being turned around in to suggesting any body even made a remark like that ?

Just because some people like Dougs videos does not mean that everybody should, just because Doug has been around a while does not mean everybody should watch his videos.
    Trying to use peer pressure to make it so is completely silly.

Everybody has their own choice, nobody needs to get defensive and nobody suggested anybody should stop posting either.

If Doug wants to post, he will, his choice, if anybody wants to watch, their choice, no whining, no peer pressure, no problem.

Keep going doug! I didn't start this thread to suggest you or anyone else should stop making videos. My post was intended to be a conversation about where musicians can go for honest opinions on gear in reviews.

• @Iso said:

Doug, (nearly) everyone here appreciates your work. Please don't be put off posting your videos here because of a few thoughtless comments................ :)

+1. Yet again, I've been pushed off the fence by watching one of Doug's vids - this time it was ApeMatrix controlling Spacecraft. The amount of fun he was having made me very, very jealous that I don't have this app and I'll be rectifying that later this evening. Once I do, I'll then be delving into Daveypoo's vids for the advanced technical stuff.