Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Apple video encourages app developers to switch to a subscription model

Comments

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Ok, say Apple just did the whole App Store as a service.

Can you describe what that means?

Whatever was on the App Store would be available if you paid your subscription, just as all shows on Netflix are available at that monthly price.

Don't forget that available series on NetFlix sometimes just are being removed. Big corps only act in their own interests.

• @greengrocer said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Ok, say Apple just did the whole App Store as a service.

Can you describe what that means?

Whatever was on the App Store would be available if you paid your subscription, just as all shows on Netflix are available at that monthly price.

Don't forget that available series on NetFlix sometimes just are being removed. Big corps only act in their own interests.

Of course they do. That goes without saying. That’s why I will just chill out and use what I can while I can. If it all goes one day, I will find something else to do :)

• @FreeRadioRevolu said:
    Any app that i paid for that switches to subscription model will be called out, slammed, and deleted... then I will DEMAND a full refund from devs.
    There’s no way that you can sell a product, then turn around and start charging folks on a monthly basis. If you want to adopt that model from the beginning of sales... then I’ll pass (at least we’ll know before we buy). I appreciate that developers need to eat and work hard... but when you sell something advertised as a finished product, you can’t turn around and start adding fees... i will seriously smash any dev that does this.

Agree

• @Dubbylabby said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    OK, so imagine this.... in 3 weeks time.

Announcement from Korg. We are now subscription based. Apologies to all those who have bought Gadget and all the IAP's at full price, and also our other music making apps like Electribe Wave and iKoassilator but you will no longer be able to use these unless you pay us $5 per month.
    We hope you will understand that this is necessary because Apple are making us do this in order for us to be able to continue to offer our Apps on the iOS platform.

We understand that because you have already paid for these apps that you feel that you have the right to continue to use them, but because of the small print in the Apple Terms and Conditions that you have signed up to you actually own Jack Shit.

Whether the above is likely or ethical or whatever doesn't matter, the point is they could legally do it.

I can imagine a dj app developer doing this... oh Wait!
    I'm not going to say nothing else but bye bye dev
    true history.

Wasn't this DJ Pro Player
    Another predictable trick, pull back the or phase the paid version out and offer the same with subscription model.

• Stuff that’s previously purchased can certainly remain tied to your ID. I bought soundpacks on Auxy before they went subscription and even without a subscription I still have access to them - just no new content without the sub. Also, it’s totally optional. Some devs will move toward subscription (software as a service) and others will just charge a flat rate one and done.

When you read how horrible the market is for small devs it’s really no wonder the subscription is a more desirable model. I’m not just talking music apps, look at mobile games. Rather than buying gold or gems or whatever there’s literally the option to subscribe for like a ten spot a month.

Not saying I like it, but it’s just how things seem to have proceeded after all these years..

TL;DR - Subscription optional. Previously purchased stuff can still be made available.

• It’s okay, I’ll just pay a monthly rent for the storage unit I’m going to need for all the hardware that will replace it. For making music on the train, I’ll just blast everyone away with my melodica, a small hand drum, and some shaky things I can strap somewhere on my body and play them all at once.

• @greengrocer said:

I thought the jailbreak scene is more or less dead.

I imagine that a change like this might kickstart that again or something like it.

Also there’s always the possibility of buying either a Android tablet or Chromebook to run Android and switching loyalty. There’s always Caustic and G-Stomper Studio.

• @greengrocer said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Announcement from Korg. We are now subscription based. Apologies to all those who have bought Gadget and all the IAP's at full price, and also our other music making apps like Electribe Wave and iKoassilator but you will no longer be able to use these unless you pay us $5 per month.
    We hope you will understand that this is necessary because Apple are making us do this in order for us to be able to continue to offer our Apps on the iOS platform.

We understand that because you have already paid for these apps that you feel that you have the right to continue to use them, but because of the small print in the Apple Terms and Conditions that you have signed up to you actually own Jack Shit.

Whether the above is likely or ethical or whatever doesn't matter, the point is they could legally do it.

true history.

Another predictable trick, pull back the or phase the paid version out and offer the same with subscription model.

The paid version DJPP carried on working as described when purchased, the developer went subscription, makes more money, has more users and has delivered more and bigger updates than ever before.
    he is very open about posting his analytics on his Slack channel and does so on a regular basis for his users to see.

• @Turntablist said:

@greengrocer said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@AndyPlankton said:

true history.

The paid version DJPP carried on working as described when purchased, the developer went subscription, makes more money, has more users and has delivered more and bigger updates than ever before.
    he is very open about posting his analytics on his Slack channel and does so on a regular basis for his users to see.

Sounds downright humane.

• They can’t ask that we subscribe for what we already have bought, can they?

• @Kühl said:
    They can’t ask that we subscribe for what we already have bought, can they?

Sure hope not ...it just wouldn’t be cool to do that

• @Kühl said:
    They can’t ask that we subscribe for what we already have bought, can they?

It’s against Apple’s guideline to ask users to subscribe to IAPs they’ve already purchased. Developers must grandfather users. But I will say, it maybe a gray area when users that bought with the guarantee of unlimated updates and features from the developer (and not just an assumption), may end up having a broken promise, as all new updates/features go towards the subscription, but paid users keep the existing offering...

For reference: Section 3.1.2(a) Permissible uses of the App Store Review Guidelines

If you are changing your existing app to a subscription-based business model, you should not take away the primary functionality existing users have already paid for. For example, let customers who have already purchased a “full game unlock” continue to access the full game after you introduce a subscription model for new customers.

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#subscriptions

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MdMMdM
    edited September 2018

Could go to windows tablets? They're getting more and more powerful. I have a surface book two and to be able to run cubasis (cubase rather) or bitwig or whatever on a bigger screen is nice. I'm obviously against the subscription model. I think Apple have overstepped the mark. It's a persons right to do this model or that model - based on what they think. Apple should stop being so greedy and concentrate on not screwing people over...just because they're scum at the top (perhaps..) don't mean developers should look to screw ordinary folk too.

• @Dawdles said:
    Ios music production eco system doesn't feel mature enough yet to me to even consider spending anywhere near something like £50 per month on subs for a bunch of apps. Half the time I try to do anything with multiple apps I hit issues or tedium/irritation and just quit. I'm kind of still 'just along for the ride' at this point.. I know that's not true for everyone, but I'd guess its true for many customers outside this forum. People don't need to get defensive, I'm not knocking what 'can' be done already by users and theres some great apps.

Maybe in a year or two the hardware and eco system will be more comparable to Desktop/Hardware in terms of 'it just works' and it'll be a different story. Mature platform, mature prices... Til then there's no way I'd pay anything approaching the same amount I spend on desktop or hardware yearly, just to fumble around with the 15 or so apps I run on ios atm. I'd be OK with £10 per month for all ios music apps... Netflix/Spotify kinda prices.. But would that work any better for devs than how things are now? Seems doubtful....

Whole thing still baffles me as a discussion tbh when the answer already exists and is proven on other platforms. Charge more than peanuts for an app and charge for significant updates. If people want what devs are doing then they'll buy/update and there'll always be new customers and revenue streams... People aren't gonna pay for what they don't need/want, either way.... Especially if it feels like they're being forced to.

Good points. The facts that iOS apps are more or less affordable one-time purchases were one of the reasons why I've jumped on the iOS music train.
    The problem I see with subscriptions for apps and their functionality is that I cannot continue to use them if I don't pay again. Only if there's the option to purchase and use the app as long and as often I want, I will consider to purchase if the asked price is worth it for me.

While I understand the model for e.g. getting access to a really huge library of samples, presets or songs and serve myself the way I like (including the right to keep and back up what I've downloaded in the subscription time frame), I wouldn't accept any subscription for an app, no matter how low the price.

It seems like most people here prefer one-time purchases over subscriptions, but for the ones that like the new idea, I find Flavio Antolini's concept of paying for his DAW "N-Track 9" a good idea:
    .99/month for a slightly extended feature set
    1.99/month for the full feature set
    29.99 for the full, unrestricted PRO version without time limits.

Now if the full price asked looks acceptable to me is another question, but at least I have the choice.

• For me typically with software, it's rarely perfect - cause developers want to always keep developing and it's not always easy to come up with new ideas. I think paying for updates (should the developer want that) not only means the developer gives customers what they want but it also means you can pick and choose when to update and it gives a developer an incentive to keep improving the software..The eco system is fun and it can be addictive but on a windows system, a more mature system it would blow ios away anyway. So Apple should be greatful but appears they've gotten to big

• AU gives devs an opportunity for an app containing multiple Audio Units. So, small AUs can be grouped together to charge more money. Give free bug fixes and minor updates for a set period of time. Make the charge reflect the time remaining for updates and be honest on the app how long is left. All major development work than is towards the next version - this should be worth the cost if the dev wants the customer to rebuy with the guarantee of another period of free updates.

This will help devs create small app groups that can still have value for rebuying. Larger groups would require a larger price. More pricy apps can still be sold alone. Devs can sell to more differing price levels. Customers know how long they will have updates for and at what cost - informed choices can be made.

• If there's one thing this thread has shown, it's that people around here just love being exceedingly dramatic about some very hypothetical stuff.

• @brambos said:

If there's one thing this thread has shown, it's that people around here just love being exceedingly dramatic about some very hypothetical stuff.

Human nature. I think many of us are a bit tongue in cheek about the whole thing too. When you get to a certain age, it’s easy to discuss, but easier still to switch off and do something more important - it’s the knowledge that the grim reaper is closer than he was :p

• @brambos said:
    If there's one thing this thread has shown, it's that people around here just love being exceedingly dramatic about some very hypothetical stuff.

It’s based on genuine concern.

Most of us on here have spent a lot of money building a collection of tools, and can’t afford to pay for it all over again, or sign up to a monthly toll to keep using them.

If it’s unfounded gossip - then good! But it’s still a worry.

• The other thing it shows is that people think evil Apple are doing evil things no one else is doing so that all you need to do is switch to Android....

https://developer.android.com/google/play/billing/billing_subscriptions

• @MonzoPro said:

@brambos said:

Most of us on here have spent a lot of money building a collection of tools, and can’t afford to pay for it all over again, or sign up to a monthly toll to keep using them.

But it’s not even gossip-level stuff. Most of it is being made up right here in these threads, without any actual source.

Raising pitchforks against imaginary ogres is such a waste of good energy :|

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

@brambos said:

But it’s not even gossip-level stuff. Most of it is being made up right here in these threads, without any actual source.

You obviously don’t play D&D ;)

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

@brambos said:

Good to hear. I’m a natural worrier though, so this stuff sneaks into my bones, like rising damp. And some apps have gone to subscription already, so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility. But yeah, I’m sure it’ll all be fine.

• Just quickly went through the topic. Wtf, KORG is already subscription-based??! (Jocking)
    Anyway, recently I've got Omnisphere 2, and also in the course of years I've managed to collect some desktop software as Addictive Drums 2 etc. (And real bass guitar (tm). Real bass guitar (tm) - can't recommend it more. Real bass guitar - subscription free, future proof, always with jack output. Real bass guitar (tm) - zero downtime service).
    I think when the time comes I'll be ready to ditch Apple infrastructure. Just would be cool if it was possible to you know... Give away my account to someone, if that person shared some money :) Btw, good idea

• Probably about 80% of appstore purchases are casual and impulse buying, and not applicable to subscription/ long term commitment deals. It would make no sense to wipe out this revenue for Apple, they know people can't subscribe to everything. But it might make sense for certain types of apps which are service/ content driven, which most of our tools aren't. :)

• @brambos said:

The thing is Apples recent moves, removing affiliate links, amongst various other reports, would seem to make the idea of a subscription only option, perhaps progressively moving towards this, highly plausible.

• @brambos said:
    I'm not a big fan of subscription and I have no plans of going there, unless Apple makes all apps subscription at some point.

However, I also don't believe the current app economics are sustainable. If you're a hobby dev doing it on the side it may be ok, but if you have any intention of making a living off of apps this is not the right platform - unless you accidentally hit gold and make it big outside of the small circle of iOS connoisseurs.

What I do see as a more viable model (not my preferred model, mind) is a flat-rate subscription fee, like Netflix.

Imagine apps divided into three categories:

• free (apps which are currently free),
    • regular (currently in the price tiers < €5) and
    • premium (current price tiers > €5).

As a user you get a subscription according to these three tiers (free, regular, premium) and each tier gives you access to the apps in each tier. I.e. Premium gives you everything, Regular gives you only Free and Regular, and Free only gives you access to Free apps.

Devs subsequently get paid per use or per installation, or something like that. Where Premium apps give them a slightly bigger cut than regular apps.

I haven't thought this through completely, but it would make the entire subs-model a lot more palatable and take away quite some of the negatives that people often mention (keeping track of individual subscriptions, having too many paid apps, etc.).

This is what I was eluding to with my 'All you can eat' subscription. Netflix is the Subscription success story. Subscriptions are given away free (or included in the price ;) ) of other subscriptions (Sky, Virgin etc..)
    I can see an AppStore subscription going the same way and being used as a marketing tool by the phone vendors as a way to entice you to go with them.
    In the long run it would be a better thing for many, think about your current monthly app spend (or yearly average) would a monthly subscription giving you access to everything really be that bad a thing ?