Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Apple video encourages app developers to switch to a subscription model

I know how impopular subscription models are. But the fact that Apple is now also promoting it because it probably makes people totally dependent on Apple's ecosystem is again another interesting move from the Fruit company.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/11/subscription-apps-video/

Comments

• Well that might put a halt on my anticipation for tomorrow’s event.
    Strange what money does to some

• edited September 2018

One step closer to standalone hardware...

• Every thinkable argument, worry and fear has been documented already two weeks ago:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27929/subscription-model/p1

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'll be off the app-train if this happens!

Even at ~$1 per app and month I'd bee looking at $150-$200 per month only in app subscriptions and there's no way in hell I'll drop that amount per month. On top of that the 'hardware' on which those apps are capable to be run on costs more than decent computers...
    (I would not be surprised if the new 13" iPad Pro is near the $2000 mark maxed out, ie. cellular connectivity and 512GB storage and no head-phone jack and new $400 AirPodPro's with 'iAmazing' 20ms latency).

Worst cases scenario is that existing apps get 'converted' to subscription apps which is not an un-likely outcome, it's happened already to a few apps...

Screw the customers, milk them for more cash like a drug dealer selling pot to junkies / app-addicts.
    I have a really bad gut-feeling about where things are heading...

• Time to duck....

An 'all you can eat' monthly subscription at the right price which includes all apps and a brand new top of the range device every 3 years would be more palatable, but not per app subscriptions.

• I rarely comment, but this is a no go for me. I’ve played for almost 30 years in garage bands to professional level bands. I love my apps and don’t mind paying more for pro level stuff, but with the exception of some kind of lifetime sub at a good price I’ll just go back to full hardware or a laptop, I hate that this is more than likely going to be the norm at some point.

• edited September 2018

Subscription whilst making sense for apps you “consume” on the regular such as TV/Movies/Music/Sport makes less sense for other types of App.
    My music making is a hobby at best, no one is offering me money for what I create so I could not justify a constant and never ending monthly tithe to pay for apps I use occasionally.
    As other have said this would either make me buy more hardware, something I occasionally do or move completely to OSX and invest in non subscription products there.
    That said I doubt most apps will go down the subscription route, let’s imagine Ableton dropped as an iOS DAW, I’d expect the price to be between £50-£100 one off payment depending on how feature rich it was, which I would happily pay, however at say £5 per month it would be an immediate no as it would never end and yes you may get updates etc but the product could go in a direction you don’t like then your money spent is money down the drain.
    Plus the number of apps people own as already said would make subscription impractical even at £1 per month.
    On my phone alone I have 27 music related apps (not counting other types) I certainly wouldn’t be willing nor could I afford to pay monthly for even the majority of them.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Time to duck....

An 'all you can eat' monthly subscription at the right price which includes all apps and a brand new top of the range device every 3 years would be more palatable, but not per app subscriptions.

iPhone & iPad 'included for free as a service' :D
    (Just like cable companies provide the cable-boxes for free to be able to see the stuff you pay for).

• edited September 2018

quoting from the link in the openeing post:

They suggest that a subscription model gives user an opportunity to assess the value of a service without a larger one-off payment; that you’re funding continual development of the app; and that developers are incentivized to ensure that they continue to offer what customers want.

It was also proposed that developers should provide convincing arguments about that supposed 'value' of the respective app.
    Considering only 'serious' stuff like a production DAW or high quality plugins this is at least something possible.

I just did a simple calculation for a Pro Tools system aquired 20 years ago with 20 plugins in permenent use.
    $1 for each plugin per month adds up to $240 a year, multiplied by 20 results in $4,800 total.
    With an average purchase price of $400 you'd spent $8,000 back in 1998.

If a developer can 'convince' 5k subscribers each paying $1 per month he could stick to the job and constantly improve his/her product.
    Imho it's not as bad as pictured here... ;)

Subscription doesn't necessarily include cease of runtime when quit - it depends on terms and conditions.

• edited September 2018

I guess nothing can stop Apple from simply not allowing the one off price at all, even if rather unlikely. On the other hand if people realise it is hitting their pocket hard the forces of the market will prevail in favour of the single payment model...maybe.

I”d love to hear developers voice on the subject @Michael @Brambos @midiSequencer @j_liljedahl @analog_matt

I’m not excluding forever shutting my iPads off the internet just before the subscription applegeddon strikes.

• edited September 2018

@AndyPlankton said:
    Time to duck....

I’m getting tired of going to this restaurant.....too many unpleasant visits to the restroom
    Just kidding or am I?

• edited September 2018

“Screw the customers, milk them for more cash like a drug dealer selling pot to junkies / app-addicts”
    Their plan all along :D

• edited September 2018

@brambos said:
    Every thinkable argument, worry and fear has been documented already two weeks ago:

Yah but app store weeks are like dog years... 2 weeks x 7 years = 14 years!

Unleash the hounds!

• @Samu said:
    I'll be off the app-train if this happens!

+1. And if this is the way they're heading I won't be getting the latest the iPad either, I'll stick with older modeals and lock them down.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AndyPlankton said:
    Time to duck....

I like it but forget the duck, let's talk turkey. How much?

• @Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Time to duck....

iPhone & iPad 'included for free as a service' :D
    (Just like cable companies provide the cable-boxes for free to be able to see the stuff you pay for).

Cut tv cable years ago...I don’t watch tv or shows. This forum is my only source of entertainment 🙀😀😁😂🤣🤪

• edited September 2018

I won’t buy any musicmaking app with a subscription model. Just can’t afford to bleed any more money every month. Sad direction if it happens, but I hope our favorite app developers (whom I am glad to pay quite substantially for one-off purchases and major updates) will not go down that route.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    One step closer to standalone hardware...

I’m glad I never got rid of some of my hardware or my desktop computer. As for upgrading my iPad, I might just put that off for a while or forget about it altogether.

• @Dawdles said:

@brambos said:
    Every thinkable argument, worry and fear has been documented already two weeks ago:

+1! 'Subscription' threads ruin lives! It's not here yet and if it does come I'll bail. Not worth sweatin over in the meantime...

• @AudioGus said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Time to duck....

I like it but forget the duck, let's talk turkey. How much?

It would have to be comparable to a current phone contract but without the sim/calls that'd be extra and a separate contract with the phone company.

• edited September 2018

Son: “ Dad the new iPad says I can’t play with it unless I pay up...what does that mean?”
    Dad: “ Son it means your dear ol’ Dad has to go get a third job, I may never see you again son have a good life!😥”

• edited September 2018

I’m sure we’ve had this conversation before many times. But obviously Apple aren’t going to kill the cash cow they have by making it the only option so I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about, developers can choose.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

@Arpseechord said:
    Son: “ Dad the new iPad says I can’t play with it unless I pay up...what does that mean?”
    Dad: “ Son it means your dear ol’ Dad has to go get a third job, I may never see you again son have a good life!😥”

‘Apps or food, kid? Your choice.....’

Apple eco friendly food for todlers fortified with daily untested amounts of emf radiation...
    Yummy

• The relatively short lifespan of a smooth iPad renders me to say NO. I genuinely appreciate Devs and their work but I can't afford that under Apple's current structure. I have an Air1 and I can't run two instances of Zeeon without rapidly entering crackle-city. Then the rumours of no headphone port... Nah. Also, I'd like demo versions be more prevalent. So many apps I've bought are not what I thought they'd be or just plain poor.
    This will simply push me to start buying hardware and/or back to the laptop.

• edited September 2018

@Dawdles said:

@Arpseechord said:

‘Apps or food, kid? Your choice.....’

Son: "Erm....Apps Dad, definitely apps "

10 mins later

Mum: "Dad, darling little Timmy is hungry, can you go get some things from the shop please "
    Dad: "Where did I put that balaclava and replica Colt ?"

3 hours later Dad is still not home from the shop, but he is on the News !

See Apple, if you continue down this path you will destroy families and lives !!
    well that took a dark turn very quickly :|