Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's missing on IOS for making music? What would you like Santa to get his elves to invent?

Comments

• You cant tempo map by using quantisation, a simple example would be some guitar that was recorded without a metronome, it needs to be tempo mapped if you wish to add a synced delay for example, this is a very common use case.

• edited September 2018

@Turntablist said:
    You cant tempo map by using quantisation, a simple example would be some guitar that was recorded without a metronome, it needs to be tempo mapped if you wish to add a synced delay for example, this is a very common use case.

OK I understand. I'm really mostly an EDM musician and while I have written and recorded a few pop / rock pieces as well, I've stubbornly played to a metronome there too :)

• edited September 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    So you're saying that you would like to be able to just draw random small variations, say between 88 and 92 BPM, into the tempo track? Can't you just leave the BPM at 90 and turn off quantization instead? (seriously curious, just asking!)

I think there are different ways to implement it, depending especially on whether a platform is pattern/clip based or more linear. For most linear DAWs, on lap/desktop, you do it via automation on the timeline. In more clip/scene based systems, like Modstep or Ableton Live, you can just assign a scene to have a different bpm.

Turning off quantization? I don't get that because in both of the above scenarios, you still want things quantized, you just want them quantized to a different tempo. For both, of course you can guess how midi is handled, but then you also have time stretching of audio to fit. E.g. in Reaper, if you wanted to copy a bass part from verse 1 to verse 3, that had a slight tempo tick up, it will still work and stretches it to be requantized (assuming you carefully cut and paste from the exact bar start and stop).

The only time I do something totally unquantized anymore (it is just too helpful for editing) is if the part is mostly solo, like solo acoustic guitar and vocals, where, in editing, if there is a flub, you'll just replace the whole spot and drag the later audio forward or back. Otherwise, even with a rock band, if they don't want to play to a click, I'll record with it off, and then tempo map it, sometimes even compensating for overzealous or inconsistent tempo changes, but I'd never totally cut them out, you lose feels.

• Thanks for the insight! Glad to widen my rectangular EDM horizon! :)

• @SevenSystems said:

@Turntablist said:
    You cant tempo map by using quantisation, a simple example would be some guitar that was recorded without a metronome, it needs to be tempo mapped if you wish to add a synced delay for example, this is a very common use case.

OK I understand. I'm really mostly an EDM musician and while I have written and recorded a few pop / rock pieces as well, I've stubbornly played to a metronome there too :)

Oh I usually do too. It is easier that way. If the band will play to a click, much easier to add some tempo changes post.

• edited September 2018

@kinkujin said:
    I think (and I'm a newbie to this stuff but read complaints about it all the time on here) that there should be some absolute standards endorsed by all developers for sharing, exporting, saving, storing our files, stems, .wavs, samples, etc. Maybe this standard must come from Apple, I have zero clue. But, when I see it posted all over the place how you can't use the files.app in "y app" or can't send stems out of "x app" there seems to be a theme.

Oh yes this too. While I empathize with the fancy stuff above (esp. Earthquaker Devices...love love), we are missing basic stuff. Me and band mate had to find a dern desk/laptop app (iMazing) to (wirelessly) share Modstep files to collaborate on. Sharing presets was also via like 4 different methods before we got iMazing.

• a simple interface, like AUM, but set up to sequence like a traditional DAW, basically, a linear/timeline sequencing AUv3 host that works.

• For me? More processing power and better options for reverb. Eos is nice and all but it has nothing on my Valhalla plugins. With my iPad 2017 I start hitting CPU limitations really quickly, especially if I use Beatmaker 3. It's my favorite workflow but it seems pretty poorly optimized. Two synths and a few effects are all it takes to push the CPU to the max.

• @SlowMotion said:
    ....Valhalla plugins....

Those are so good.

• I may sound like a broken record here but quite honestly I'm really looking forward to NanoStudio 2. I know it's happening this year but man the wait is going to kill me. It's what I want on ios. For Christmas yeah, but hopefully before...way before.

Then BM3 update and Drambo and I'll be a happy guy. The rest will be icing for me.

• So, if this was posted two days ago, I’d be saying I keep asking for a way to polychain monosynths into one conglomerate polysynth. My hopes and dreams have been answered last night in this thread!! I now have an 8 voice poly ModelD!! Who knows what’s next. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28392/streambyter-script-distribute-polyphonic-midi-to-n-outgoing-mono-midi-channels/p1

Really, I just want to play in most any time signature I want. Sure those who play outside of 4/4 seem to be rare around these parts, but I get so frustrated when I’m stuck there. So many apps could be cool, then I realize there is no option to change time signature it’s 4/4 only!! Some you get lucky in can play in 3/4 or 6/8. Others get a start with beats per measure at 5 and 7, but I really like 9/8 and have to attempt some crazy chain of 3/4 where the metrome doesn’t work for you.

I’ll second that it would be nice to change tempo midsong on some of these apps. It’s essential for people playing more natural music. I’ve been stuck on the grid too much lately.

• @Dawdles said:

@reasOne said:
    I'd love to see companies like earth quaker devices make au pedals for iOS.
    Start with avalanche run please 🙏

Yup, I can think of a bunch of digital pedals that I’d pay £20+ for in iOS. I don’t think it’d cannabalise hardware sales either. If I really want a pedal, I’ll buy the pedal. Or maybe I’m never gonna buy a particular pedal because it feels too expensive for me on that pedal or is just too hard to get hold of. But there are plenty of pedals I’d ‘kind of like to own’. Or would rather have in iOS than on my board....Most people are probably the same. With different pedals per person. Those are the pedals I’d throw like £20-£50 for iOS versions...win/win for the companies...

yess! i would pay good money for the ios version of pedals...as much as i like hardware and the pedals themselves, i do everything within my ipad , so if i hooked up pedals that would be good, but then id have to record to an external source...deal with all the wires and be less mobie hehe...not really a huge problem, but its not the way i perfer to go...im trying to stay mostly inside the box with the exception of a few things...recording to tape sometimes...or into ableton to use an effect that ios hasnt mastered yet....

but if these pedals where ios, id give em all my money right now haha...or if someone super creative dev starting kinda cloning the things they do and making effects id be all over that as well...

i love ios how it is tho, and i feel the only thing i need from it at this point is more creative effects .... there are some excellent ones that i use now, that are so good...but effects is what i always want more of! im a addict

• @kobamoto said:
    Still desperately waiting on that sample slicer that Jonatan L. Was contemplating on developing.

Care to detail? Missed this one

• More/Better real-time UI tools in AU format. MIDI Designer Pro is uber-cool, but impossible to use with stuff like AUM. Same with TC-Data.

A resizable AU that was like TC-Data-lite would be just about perfect. As it is, all we really have is @brambos 's XY

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:
    Totally agree. Still a shortage of super interesting, quality AUfx that ‘just work’... Imagine having Chase Bliss clone AUs :) Gassing hard for a Thermae at the moment...

Oh my. My bandmate has most of the Chase Bliss pedals. I think you'd fry the iPad trying to model those. Some serious analog micro imperfection sweetness therein.

• What I am missing sometimes is... inspiration.

I wouldn‘t blame iOS for that.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’d just like to see Apple add the rest of the drummers in Logic/Desktop GarageBand to the iOS GarageBand. There’s a super-nice neo-soul kit and a Motown kit I’d love to use in my iPad productions. And the new brush kits are awesome as well!

Of course, I’d also love a master track option as well so I could slap DAW Cassette over the entire mix if I want. Would make mastering easier as well.

Apart from Apple, I would LOVE if someone could emulate the voltage-starving of fuzz pedals. There’s something so simultaneously gorgeous and gross about a fuzz when it’s run on 3 volts instead of 9!

• @99476598326 said:
    hmm, im quite happy wit ProQ2. keep in mind that it is one of the best EQ plugins ever made and certainly the best on the ipad, and really it isnt close. id pay the same price for ProC2 as well. so yea, gimme ProC2 on my ipad as auv3 and ill happy throw $46.99 AUD at that.

i could go for a samplr update.

Drambo is coming and it will be cool.

i love AudioShare and don't think it needs too many changes.

it sounds like you want all your vst’s on the ipad...whch to me isnt very interesting nor does it make for a creative post. yawn.

no, not all...that's a hell of a lot. I'm just saying a want a complete toolkit for all the things I love to use as composing , recording and mastering tools. It's almost complete...I 've been doing just fine, however ,there's a couple tools missing in the box and I'm sure it won't be long. All the VST developers will come running as the crowd of users grows ginormous.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:
    Y’all asking for a bunch of fancy stuff when many apps do not have basic musical functions. Most namely, tempo changes within songs. I know I’m a broken record on this, but it is fracking ridiculous. It is like people are programming with no hint of understanding of thousands of years of human music making.

I'd still like to see statistics on this... how many top 100 billboard chart songs use tempo changes? To be honest, I can remember exactly one song in my entire lifetime. Maybe that's because I'm from Germany and they're very mechanical there :disappointed:

I think the point here is that other platforms take into account that there are many styles of music, some that have fluid time like classical music or time signature changes like progressive rock, or just plain rock....like the song Money by Pink Floyd. The idea is that if you can think of something you want to do, even if it's only ever once in awhile...one shouldn't have to think "Damn, I can't do this here, I'm going to have to go to another platform just for one song/idea " But I do think that because a lot of electronic music requires little audio input and therefore no real audio interface and microphones, that the ipad is more complete for the four on the floor EDM musician, without anyone who is a developer having to give it much thought, when their target demographic is makers of EDM. However...EDM used to have almost no vocals or acoustic instrument and pop had no EDM morphed with it....that has all changed now. EDM was once completely underground...it has since crossed into the mainstream and with all of it's many genres, it's probably the biggest genre that exists now....with all the sub genres. I remember when it was all called techno....lol.

• edited September 2018

I’ve always wanted an LA2A and an 1176 emulation on iOS. @ikmultimedia has the know how and the goods. Please...

• edited September 2018

I’ve always wanted an LA2A and an 1176 emulation on iOS. @ikmultimedia has the know how and the goods. Please...

• edited September 2018

I’m still waiting for Korg to fill out the remaining sound libraries in iKaossilator lol. Or some some savvy developer to take that concept to the next level. Hmmmm.

To put it in simple terms for any lurking devs, I’d like to jam out the music, shape the sounds, mix, and control fx and automation by doing nothing other than swiping and tapping around big xy pads on my phone and/or iPad. Everything xy pad please. Not opposed to macro functions either. No piano rolls or step sequencers. Tired of that shit. Let’s move forward. Korg showed us how it could be done over 6 years ago and no one paid attention. Repeat after me “New. Notes. Replace. Old. Notes. Loop. Recording.”
    Get clever.

Paging @jimpavloff

• @SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:
    Y’all asking for a bunch of fancy stuff when many apps do not have basic musical functions. Most namely, tempo changes within songs. I know I’m a broken record on this, but it is fracking ridiculous. It is like people are programming with no hint of understanding of thousands of years of human music making.

I'd still like to see statistics on this... how many top 100 billboard chart songs use tempo changes? To be honest, I can remember exactly one song in my entire lifetime. Maybe that's because I'm from Germany and they're very mechanical there :D

• Tempo changes are a great way to pull and push a groove

• @kobamoto said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

I'd still like to see statistics on this... how many top 100 billboard chart songs use tempo changes? To be honest, I can remember exactly one song in my entire lifetime. Maybe that's because I'm from Germany and they're very mechanical there :D

haha !I love it! I think the cops showed up a the beginning....then they chased dude around the studio for 3 minutes

• Dedicated guitar strumming app w lots of patterns

• edited September 2018

@SevenSystems ; > @Turntablist said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

To do tempo mapping of pre recorded material, which is a very common practice, you definitely need tempo changes.

@SevenSystems : LOTS! EVERY studio drummer in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s knew to push up the BPM during the verse to add energy and lift to the song and then back down again during the verse. EDM producers worth their salt do it also.