Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's missing on IOS for making music? What would you like Santa to get his elves to invent?

or at least port over from another platform. Here are some things I still yearn for:

1.The equivilant on IOS of izotope Stutter Edit (and their whole suite),

1. or the Gating plugin from Infected Mushrooms software collaboration,

3.Decent pitch software for vocals like melodize or variaudio in Cubase,

4.the equivilant of Spectrasonics RMX rex based drum and loop instruments,

5.Ableton Live,

6.Kontakt and sample libraries,

1. Wavelab or some other compressive audio editing and mastering software.

2. Fabfilter plugins outside of Auria, and not 39 bucks a piece...sheesh!

3. Also, a better solution for drive space, like the ability to run things more easily and store audio samples and loops in particular, on external media. I also wish for a cloud connection that's as fast as USB 3, so I don't actually need any hard drives ever, but that might be awhile yet.

Ok, that's if for now...I'm sure I've forgotten some things. Most of what I need exists...for instance I can substitute Turnado for Stutter Edit. oh yeah...I also miss Omnishpere and Triology. but then again...I can use them anytime I want. I guess I like the idea of giving up my desktop most of the time. I'm just have so much more fun discovering , learning and using IOS stuff now and for a few months. I can hardly bring myself to sit at my studio desk these days. Maybe it's just a phase.....but there's something soooo cool about the IPAD. It can't be just me. I know some of you have been at this for 7 years, but the music platform was in it's infancy and you were early adaptors. Of course you're probably jaded and disappointed a bit but now at the lack of haste and glitchiness. The same thing happened on PC and actually took way longer to take off....like 20 years. Just be patient and the most amazing stuff is yet to come.....I believe. I know I have the luxury of not being jaded, but being cynical doesn't mean progress won't happen or soon.

Comments

• Still desperately waiting on that sample slicer that Jonatan L. Was contemplating on developing.

• I would like the elves to suggest to cupertino a 8g ram for the new ipad pro.

• @bedheadproducer said:
    or at least port over from another platform. Here are some things I still yearn for:

1.The equivilant on IOS of izotope Stutter Edit (and their whole suite),

1. or the Gating plugin from Infected Mushrooms software collaboration,

3.Decent pitch software for vocals like melodize or variaudio in Cubase,

5.Ableton Live,

1. Wavelab or some other compressive audio editing and mastering software.

2. Fabfilter plugins outside of Auria, and not 39 bucks a piece...sheesh!

3. Also, a better solution for drive space, like the ability to run things more easily and store audio samples and loops in particular, on external media. I also wish for a cloud connection that's as fast as USB 3, so I don't actually need any hard drives ever, but that might be awhile yet.

Ok, that's if for now...I'm sure I've forgotten some things. Most of what I need exists...for instance I can substitute Turnado for Stutter Edit. oh yeah...I also miss Omnishpere and Triology. but then again...I can use them anytime I want. I guess I like the idea of giving up my desktop most of the time. I'm just have so much more fun discovering , learning and using IOS stuff now and for a few months. I can hardly bring myself to sit at my studio desk these days. Maybe it's just a phase.....but there's something soooo cool about the IPAD. It can't be just me. I know some of you have been at this for 7 years, but the music platform was in it's infancy and you were early adaptors. Of course you're probably jaded and disappointed a bit but now at the lack of haste and glitchiness. The same thing happened on PC and actually took way longer to take off....like 20 years. Just be patient and the most amazing stuff is yet to come.....I believe. I know I have the luxury of not being jaded, but being cynical doesn't mean progress won't happen or soon.

Stutter fix I presume?

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @bedheadproducer
    There is a trance gate style effect, I forget what it’s called.
    Autotune is available on iOS, but it’s a live effect, no editing.
    Kontact libraries aren’t supported on iOS but EXS libraries are.
    Did you mean ‘comprehensive editing and mastering’? There are quite a few mastering apps of varied capabilities.
    Fabfilter - Wait for a sale?

• hmm, im quite happy wit ProQ2. keep in mind that it is one of the best EQ plugins ever made and certainly the best on the ipad, and really it isnt close. id pay the same price for ProC2 as well. so yea, gimme ProC2 on my ipad as auv3 and ill happy throw $46.99 AUD at that.

i could go for a samplr update.

Drambo is coming and it will be cool.

i love AudioShare and don't think it needs too many changes.

it sounds like you want all your vst’s on the ipad...whch to me isnt very interesting nor does it make for a creative post. yawn.

• I would like to see the heat build problem solved. Then unlimited RAM, or am I wrong about this?i have developed a heat absorbing goo from snail slime to spread on the back of the iPad like peanut butter and it works great. But no one seems to be interested. Can't understand why. So easypeasy.

• I'd love to see companies like earth quaker devices make au pedals for iOS.
    Start with avalanche run please 🙏

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

@bedheadproducer said:

In fact you could just add iOS as a third platform to the existing Mac and Win world.
    It all comes down to how many people really want to replace their laptops and desktop systems by iPads. Not too many yet, I guess, and it may also

The main difference with iOS apps is that we have many small and simple apps but only a few that one would even dare to compare to Mac/Win solutions.

I can say that since the release of Stockholm in Gadget, this is it for me, in addition to Ableton Live.

5.Ableton Live,

YES please B)

Virsyn AudioLayer is a good start. I really hope development continues and @VirSyn will continue to take care of his new baby :smiley:

... I'm just have so much more fun discovering , learning and using IOS stuff now and for a few months. I can hardly bring myself to sit at my studio desk these days. Maybe it's just a phase.....but there's something soooo cool about the IPAD. It can't be just me.

Isn't the charm of iPad music making its simplicity and the reduction to the essentials?
    I mean, you can have a Windows tablet with a full production environment including Live, Omnisphere, RMX, Kontakt, Melodyne, iZotopes ... and yet it's rarely used by people this way, compared to classic setups.
    Of course it's also partly due to the lack of proper touch screen support in desktop software, but going "full-spec" on the iPad is not only up to the developers, it also has to be supported by Apple in some way.
    No acceptable file handling, no apps outside the app store, limited support of peripherals, no mouse support at all, compatibility issues combined with the fact that you cannot even go back to an older, sometimes more stable iOS version; developers cannot release software without annually paying for a developer account ... I don't say that's a big issue but it's limiting the possibilities and the choice of available apps on a platform that is not yet too widespread amongst musicians.

• edited September 2018

Y’all asking for a bunch of fancy stuff when many apps do not have basic musical functions. Most namely, tempo changes within songs. I know I’m a broken record on this, but it is fracking ridiculous. It is like people are programming with no hint of understanding of thousands of years of human music making.

Some other much less frequent issues, ones I’ve at least been able to find more than one option for...like lack of velocity response, ability to have groove templates..specific swing patterns or whatever you like to call them.

But if i could get just one thing for Diwali, it would be tempo changes in some other apps.

• @rs2000 said:

@bedheadproducer said:

In fact you could just add iOS as a third platform to the existing Mac and Win world.
    It all comes down to how many people really want to replace their laptops and desktop systems by iPads. Not too many yet, I guess, and it may also

The main difference with iOS apps is that we have many small and simple apps but only a few that one would even dare to compare to Mac/Win solutions.

I can say that since the release of Stockholm in Gadget, this is it for me, in addition to Ableton Live.

5.Ableton Live,

YES please B)

Virsyn AudioLayer is a good start. I really hope development continues and @VirSyn will continue to take care of his new baby :smiley:

... I'm just have so much more fun discovering , learning and using IOS stuff now and for a few months. I can hardly bring myself to sit at my studio desk these days. Maybe it's just a phase.....but there's something soooo cool about the IPAD. It can't be just me.

Isn't the charm of iPad music making its simplicity and the reduction to the essentials?
    I mean, you can have a Windows tablet with a full production environment including Live, Omnisphere, RMX, Kontakt, Melodyne, iZotopes ... and yet it's rarely used by people this way, compared to classic setups.
    Of course it's also partly due to the lack of proper touch screen support in desktop software, but going "full-spec" on the iPad is not only up to the developers, it also has to be supported by Apple in some way.
    No acceptable file handling, no apps outside the app store, limited support of peripherals, no mouse support at all, compatibility issues combined with the fact that you cannot even go back to an older, sometimes more stable iOS version; developers cannot release software without annually paying for a developer account ... I don't say that's a big issue but it's limiting the possibilities and the choice of available apps on a platform that is not yet too widespread amongst musicians.

Omnisphere now offers multi-touch support :)

• I think (and I'm a newbie to this stuff but read complaints about it all the time on here) that there should be some absolute standards endorsed by all developers for sharing, exporting, saving, storing our files, stems, .wavs, samples, etc. Maybe this standard must come from Apple, I have zero clue. But, when I see it posted all over the place how you can't use the files.app in "y app" or can't send stems out of "x app" there seems to be a theme.

If I'm wrong, and I'd like to be, please instruct me. I know this is an evolving platform and that's exciting. But, some things really need to be made easier for the end user in the above regard.

• AU midi app with multiple channel out, and scenes, clip launching. Like Auxy, but midi and AU. Or modstep, but as AU in AUM.

• @kinkujin said:
    I think (and I'm a newbie to this stuff but read complaints about it all the time on here) that there should be some absolute standards endorsed by all developers for sharing, exporting, saving, storing our files, stems, .wavs, samples, etc. Maybe this standard must come from Apple, I have zero clue. But, when I see it posted all over the place how you can't use the files.app in "y app" or can't send stems out of "x app" there seems to be a theme.

If I'm wrong, and I'd like to be, please instruct me. I know this is an evolving platform and that's exciting. But, some things really need to be made easier for the end user in the above regard.

Agree with this. Apps without well defined communication standards are like hardware without midi !

• A port of LSDJ or famitracker. If not one of these, than another proper tracker other than sonvox.

Something similar in function to an OP-1

A Korg electribe sample manager that can also load samples directly like the volca fm beats buddy

Universalize BM3 and borderlands

• Would love Spectrasonics on iPad, might be hard to price it, but maybe they could divide all the sounds into sets of IAPs and make it work

• edited September 2018

Wanting but never going to get Spectrasonics/Ableton/Melodyne and so on because $35 for Fabfilter Pro Q2 warrants a sheesh, there is a correlation there.
    Until users are willing to pay for software, it wont exist.

• Since iOS isn’t a music platform per se and macOS is following the development (drive by iOS in house Apple developers) my bet is hardware (like Pioneer) or software like Ableton/cycling are going to fill that gap. In fact after years of trying go only iOS and coming back to macOS but an oldie one and I know it will be the last.
    Next step full standalone hardware and macOS will be a service (probably online in the future)

• @Turntablist said:
    Wanting but never going to get Spectrasonics/Ableton/Melodyne and so on because $35 for Fabfilter Pro Q2 warrants a sheesh, there is a correlation there.
    Until users are willing to pay for software, it wont exist.

I don't think it's as simple as that if by "users" you're implying musicians.
    Especially high-profile apps like Live, Reason, Logic, but also Cubase etc. will certainly continue to be sold for desktop OS for another few years, so I consider iOS as the chance to generate additional revenue by developing for both platforms and making simplified/reduced app versions on iOS "no-brainer purchases" in addition to the desktop equivalents. The lower app prices will invite more people to purchase apps "instead of an unhealthy dinner" so there's definitly a potential market in addition to the desktop versions.
    See Cubase vs. Cubasis: Cubasis is a highly limited version of Cubase but what it does, it does well enough for many.

• Easy for me: an OS ability to do audio in/out (and MIDI) over lightning cable to Windows, not just Mac

• I always answer Stutter Edit when this comes up. This is the first time I saw someone else mentionit, heh. It is one of the only reasons I still export to desktop, aside from basic mixing that I am feeling more or and more that I could skip, particularly because of ProQ2.

As for the Fab price, they are already way cheaper than desktop and I felt fine, even a little guilty buying it for the price I did on iOS.

Would still be nice to get a decent timeline based multitrack audio editor/mixer. Someone will nail this one day.

• @Multicellular said:
    Y’all asking for a bunch of fancy stuff when many apps do not have basic musical functions. Most namely, tempo changes within songs. I know I’m a broken record on this, but it is fracking ridiculous. It is like people are programming with no hint of understanding of thousands of years of human music making.

I'd still like to see statistics on this... how many top 100 billboard chart songs use tempo changes? To be honest, I can remember exactly one song in my entire lifetime. Maybe that's because I'm from Germany and they're very mechanical there :D

• @SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

I'd still like to see statistics on this... how many top 100 billboard chart songs use tempo changes? To be honest, I can remember exactly one song in my entire lifetime. Maybe that's because I'm from Germany and they're very mechanical there :D

I think he is referring to contemporary edm which uses after the drop often halftime beats. Erfreut sich jedenfalls großer Beliebtheit, falls mal das Radio läuft ;)

• @david_2017 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

I think he is referring to contemporary edm which uses after the drop often halftime beats. Erfreut sich jedenfalls großer Beliebtheit, falls mal das Radio läuft ;)

:) OK but for halftime, a tempo change is not strictly needed... just makes it "look nicer" in the pianoroll editor ;)

• edited September 2018

@SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

The vast majority of music when it was recorded live by bands. I'm not talking major tempo changes, that would be a low percentage. But a shift of a few BPM up in the chorus was absolutely the norm for rock and roll. A few BPM overall increase by the end of the song was also the norm.

I did not document figures on it. But when digital recording was newish, I was switching from bass to guitar and importing CD audio into a DAW for learning purposes. I was putting stuff to the grid to loop and practice. I think then, something like 1 out of 10 songs (again mostly rock, grunge, metal) appeared to have been played to a click, i.e. consistent BPM throughout.

I also played for many years in an orchestra. And here and there classical guitar for weddings and other horrible (but well paying) gigs. I don't recall ever being given a piece of sheet music without tempo changes.

• @SevenSystems said:

@david_2017 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

:) OK but for halftime, a tempo change is not strictly needed... just makes it "look nicer" in the pianoroll editor ;)

Yep. But for tempo changes... ask my wife when I play with her... 🙈🙈🙈
    Screw you, strumming on beat!!!

• @david_2017 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

Nein. Subtilere verschiebungen

• @SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

To do tempo mapping of pre recorded material, which is a very common practice, you definitely need tempo changes.

• So you're saying that you would like to be able to just draw random small variations, say between 88 and 92 BPM, into the tempo track? Can't you just leave the BPM at 90 and turn off quantization instead? (seriously curious, just asking!)