Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Farewell hardware full ios plunge

13»

Comments

• @kinkujin said:

@brambos said:

@Max23 said:

@brambos said:
    The MC-303 was the bee’s knees. Still cherish mine.

it was the first groovebox
    but it had it flaws,

It was 1996, I didn’t obsess over flaws, just marvelled about what it finally enabled me to do. And I prefer to stick with that attitude even today. :)

Good attitude indeed. I still recall my first experience with midi when my best pal and his brother each bought Korg Poly800s and cabled them together for this swirling sequenced midi goodness and I almost shit my pants on the spot. This had to be about 1984 or so. My pal kept saying excitedly, “this is the future right here!” and we were laughing and marveling at the sound and the future.

Sure enough, the Poly800 is one of those synths that I just must have. Great memories.

My WTFKnobs on iM1 actually focuses on the Poly 800 for a lot of it:

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I like having both. Ipad for me nowadays is an instrument and fx host and does small utility things. Mpc live is the brains. I just sold my virus c and most likely will sell my slim phatty as well. Not because ios, but for new hardware. More specifically, dfam and likely some semi modular or/and a small rack.

I think some analog synths can offer things that software cant, but software is closing the gap all the time. For example i didnt feel like virus c gave me that much better sound than what i can get from ios synths(also it got stuck notes way too often). However i dont feel that even the best moog emulations on ios has an authentic analog sound like the slim phatty, not to mention that running ios synths through its filter/overdrive makes them sound more analog, cyclop through it sounds like a real monster. So i think just having a moog filter and similar overdrive would be enough for me. Dfam vs software is stupid to even talk about.

You get the idea. Hardware definitely has its place, but ios can certainly replace a lot of it or even completely all hardware if your demands arent that high. Especially midi controllers(all knobs, pads and keys) give another new dimension to ios

• @purpan2 said:

@brambos said:

I had one. It had its problems but I still regret selling it. I wonde if it’s worth getting another. Do they hold up well to the ravages of time?

Mostly for nostalgia, I would say. Better grooveboxes and sequencers have been made since. But the MC-303 is the grandaddy of ‘em all B)

• Big respect to the MC-303. The very first Groovebox ever. We might not have got here without it- we could be next door....... with you know who.

• @brambos said:

@purpan2 said:

@brambos said:

I had one. It had its problems but I still regret selling it. I wonde if it’s worth getting another. Do they hold up well to the ravages of time?

Mostly for nostalgia, I would say. Better grooveboxes and sequencers have been made since. But the MC-303 is the grandaddy of ‘em all B)

Thanks for that. But we must never underestimate the value of nostalgia.

• edited August 2018

I moved from hardware to iOS because of the portability and because of the amazing quality and number of apps available which make things so much easier and instantly inspiring for me. I’ve been able to craft music that I otherwise struggled with and couldn’t have done. Affordability also played a huge part in my move. Having said that, I’m glad I’ve hung on to a few hardware synths such as my Korg MS-10, Roland JP8000 and a Korg Krome 88 workstation which I need anyway for piano practise. I now find that the iPad can be fully integrated with hardware audio-wise and midi-wise especially with the likes of Rozeta in AUM. And the hardware can always act as a midi controller for the iPad too. So I think it’s worth hanging on to a few bits of hardware as the two can now be made to work together easily in very cool and interesting ways.

• Personally I would hold off on sinking all your hopes on doing everything in iOS. I’ve moved back to using computer more because of the constant frustration of running into memory and CPU limitations and the amount of set up time involved. With the limited time I have to make music, it’s so nice to open a song in Logic and have everything ready to go just like I left it. I do use iOS but I don’t try to do everything there.