Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Farewell hardware full ios plunge

Comments

• @Samu said:

@mAxjUlien said:

@Samu said:
    The editor is supposed to be out before the end of this month so maybe next week or so :)

That soon. Hopefully they maintain that level of support for some time. I’ve been binging on small mobile hardware synths after going completely iOS for the past 2 years. There’s just too much going on in sound design, portability and software to handicap oneself past whatever disposable income available.

That's true... We are quite spoiled with all the apps available on iOS and even sampling digitally on iOS is a viable option but the lack of properly being able to see multiple apps at once on iOS is driving me bonkers.

With Fullscreen AUv3's and AUv3's in general and 'Self Contained' apps such as Gadget it's doable.
    But as mentioned in a few posts above proper split-screen functionality in iOS without 'specially written apps' would be a game-changer especially on say a 15" iPad. We could stack multiple instances of AUv3's on the screen while still keeping a DAW running without distractions. Or run Gadget, Cubasis and BM3 at the same time while still having room for additional apps...

MP3 players killed walkmans.
    Smartphones killed cameras.
    Apps killing hardware gear.

Apps could be made split-screen compatible.
    Or, Apple could release touch-screen Macs. Raw power!!

• @MonzoPro said:
    I’d never go software only. Guitars, basses, old analogue synths, drum kits, cement mixers - you can’t properly replicate that stuff with an app or a VST.

Nothing’s off the list here - if it makes an interesting noise, and more importantly it’s cheap, it’s in.

Agreed.

• @Max23 said:

Somehow the old tracker habits crawl out when hardware sits on the desk, need to sample it and see what can be done with the samples etc. etc.

the sequencer of the mc 303 is a piece of shit ;)

It's 'Good Shit' for most parts (The arpeggiator is a knock-out) and I'd be surprised if my motor memory fails me when I finally decide to pick it out of hiding again ;)

Deadmau5 on blabbering about the MC-303 hahaha...

The same happened with the Korg ES-1. It was like it was never even in 'gone' but regarding that one I do prefer to use Elastic Drums or BM3 with the ES-1 samples... (Same deal with Electribe ES2. It's already been 'replaced' by GrooveRider and Gadget).

My Juno-106 has unfortunately suffered due to age and 4 out of 6 voice chips are 'dead' :(
    TX81z and SY85 are still like 'brand new' but batteries needed to be replaced and one of the memory cards 'died'.
    The TX81z is partially 'replaced' by FM Essentials by Yamaha and I sampled most of the SY85 waveforms and can create patches of them using AudioLayer or BM3 etc. etc.

and it doesnt understand CC everything was NRPN if I remember right

When set to 'sound module mode'(ie. internal sequencer disabled) it responds to standard 'GM Midi CC' on all 16 channels. The last time I had it up on the desk it was very close to iOS SoundCanvas apart from a bunch of missing sounds (Xequence and iOS SoundCanvas is a quite nice combo).

maybe you have an old mmt8 around too? that was nice

Nope, the last pice of hardware left is the Nord Micro Modular...
    Maybe the new one (Drambo or what ever it will be called) from Beestreet will finally replace it :D

The UNO doesn't take up too much desk-space and once the editor drops it will be quite fun piece of gear to 'abuse'.
    (ModStep is already quite handy for sequencing and tweaking it though).

Still a 'proper' split-app-view on iOS would be a true game changer especially if the iPad's get bigger.

• @supadom said:

@crony said:
    Yep, depends on what you’re selling...
    Really interesting possibilities indeed, but also very time consuming if you want to make very advanced setup...not much making music during this time...

Yup, and then you fly.....
    ........................................until next iOS update!

Or Modstep get a nice update with IOS 12 and then we supa fly ! :D

• IOS has some exquisite sound processing capabilities, with decent analog fakes like Zeeon, DRC and the Moogs - and crystal clear digital synths like PPGs, Nave, Apesoft/Amazing Noises.
    But it doesn't cover all flavours of digital sound, so I still keep a couple of external boxes.
    A shabby Lexicon delay (Vortex), Rocktron Intellifex, Yamaha TX-7, Kawai XD-5 and about a dozen Pro Tools TDM plugins that can be applied in realtime via AUM and an iCA4+.

• edited August 2018

Where iOS lacks for me against hardware (and some plug-ins which can do that very well) is much better saturation/distortion and still FX in general.
    One exception is maybe Model D app.
    Digital synths are exceeded already by software for me but the raw analog power i hear mostly in Model D....where it is a bit limited as well.
    However, in a mix with many sounds no one will hear much different these days.
    In general hardware is all about turning knobs i would say.

• I just couldn’t do it. In fact, at this point in life I’m finally acquiring a few pieces that I’ve always wanted or at least since the glorious 80s. And several analog newer things. I truly feel the most exciting things are happening on the iOS platform but, iOS can not produce nostalgia ... and knobs, for this fella.

• @kinkujin said:
    I just couldn’t do it. In fact, at this point in life I’m finally acquiring a few pieces that I’ve always wanted or at least since the glorious 80s. And several analog newer things. I truly feel the most exciting things are happening on the iOS platform but, iOS can not produce nostalgia ... and knobs, for this fella.

Likewise

• The MC-303 was the bee’s knees. Still cherish mine.

• I sold my totally restored 1915 7' Steinway two weeks ago. No regrets. I would like a Kawai VPC1 hammer action controller keyboard to go along with my Roland FA-07 and I have a Casio AT5 to stuff in the car for vacations. I would love to make do with only iOS. I never approached desktop, but dealing with the iOS limitations I may have to go backwards unlike most of you.

As far as the piano... I love the Ravenscroft piano. My Steinway was a beast, but no Midi out ( I kept looking for at least an XLR jack but never found one). We have experiences and we move on. This summer has perhaps been my most creative musically. Two Synthonies and a dozen jazz pieces in three months. iOS got me excited, I guess.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I sold my totally restored 1915 7' Steinway two weeks ago. No regrets. I would like a Kawai VPC1 hammer action controller keyboard to go along with my Roland FA-07 and I have a Casio AT5 to stuff in the car for vacations. I would love to make do with only iOS. I never approached desktop, but dealing with the iOS limitations I may have to go backwards unlike most of you.

As far as the piano... I love the Ravenscroft piano. My Steinway was a beast, but no Midi out ( I kept looking for at least an XLR jack but never found one). We have experiences and we move on. This summer has perhaps been my most creative musically. Two Synthonies and a dozen jazz pieces in three months. iOS got me excited, I guess.

You should check out pianoteq, its amazing for feel and dynamics and combine that with a kawai VPC1 or CA98 you got something very powerful. I wish pianoteq will come to iOS.

• edited August 2018

Thanks @[Deleted User]. I have heard how great Pianoteq is. What is a CA98?

• edited August 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @[Deleted User]. I have heard how great Pianoteq is. What is a CA98?

It a kawai digital piano with wooden keys and real escapement, the pivot point is the same as a grand piano but it cost 2000 euro.... eek!

EDIT: I meant the cheaper one CA67, has the same keys. Grand feel 2.

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

I dont know, to me the most fun I am having with electronic music is coming up with my own sounds ...

Agree, I dug out the MC-303 for a quick spin and meh. I can re-create and sample most of the sounds using almost any synth on the iPad and when 'Roland Sounds' are needed I can sample iOS Sound Canvas that does have most of the sounds from the MC-303 including drums so back to the closet it went but at least it showed me that I've learned to program synths good enough to re-create some of the old sounds when needed.

Even though the UNO is a relatively simple synth it's quite fun run it thru effects and sample it and use it the 'old-school way' (ie. no fricking multi-samples, just one sample stretched all the way across the keyboard).

• edited August 2018
  • edited August 2018

@Max23 said:

@brambos said:
    The MC-303 was the bee’s knees. Still cherish mine.

it was the first groovebox
    but it had it flaws,

It was 1996, I didn’t obsess over flaws, just marvelled about what it finally enabled me to do. And I prefer to stick with that attitude even today. :)

• @brambos said:

@Max23 said:

@brambos said:

but it had it flaws,

It was 1996, I didn’t obsess over flaws, just marvelled about what it finally enabled me to do. And I prefer to stick with that attitude even today.

+1

• @brambos said:

@Max23 said:

@brambos said:

but it had it flaws,

It was 1996, I didn’t obsess over flaws, just marvelled about what it finally enabled me to do. And I prefer to stick with that attitude even today. :)

Very good attitude to have :)

• @Max23 said:

I dont know, to me the most fun I am having with electronic music is coming up with my own sounds and modulations and see where it takes me ...

+2 do we really need all these presets included in syth apps?
    Skiping through them to find the “Initialize”patch. Even worse- finding no Initialze function/patch included and you have to create your own....wtf

• @brambos said:

@Max23 said:

@brambos said:

but it had it flaws,

+dragon

• @Max23 said:
    @samu
    hehe ^^
    I replaced the 106 with tal uno lx - love it
    good developer gave me all the arp modes I wanted after I asked for it (random & as played) and fixed all the bugs I pointed out :)
    (was some early versions 1.7 or something)

Yepp, It's pretty darn good but I've not had any luck trying to convince the developer to port his stuff over to iOS...
    (Last reply was that he'd consider it if more people sent requests, that's as far as I've gotten).

• @dawdles, of course I respect your viewpoint and what works for you. If I had gotten into desktop maybe I would feel differently. I know I would appreciate the incredible sound libraries as compared to iOS.

Maybe it is because I am older and had my youth without any of these techno fireworks, but to see it all shrunk down to a 9.7 tablet thinner than a slice of diet toast boggles my mind. That I can connect it to almost any crummy keyboard and still create four movement classical and divergent pieces absolutely floors me ( hmmm, methinks you haven't listened to my Sno.1. Best you do, another is on the way!😇😈).

It is total magic even with the breakdowns and glitches. It has actually made me a more patient person. Still I like the idea of a hammer action keyboard in addition to a synth action, but the parameter controllers I can do without as I don't play live music.
    I really understand the value of combining iOS, desktop and hardware. I just love the small footprint, portable, affordability of iOS and how much I can squeeze out of it!

• @brambos said:

I had one. It had its problems but I still regret selling it. I wonde if it’s worth getting another. Do they hold up well to the ravages of time?

• edited August 2018

@breilly said:

@Max23 said:

I dont know, to me the most fun I am having with electronic music is coming up with my own sounds and modulations and see where it takes me ...

Skiping through them to find the “Initialize”patch. Even worse- finding no Initialze function/patch included and you have to create your own....wtf

@breilly said:

@Max23 said:

I was working with animoog the other day and found a tutorial and the guy was showing how to create an ‘init patch’. I thought, why don’t we just go to init patch and lo and behold there isn’t one. WTF. After dinking around for 15 minutes it still doesn’t sound like plain vanilla saw waveform. Again I say WTF?

• edited August 2018
  • edited August 2018

@brambos said:

@Max23 said:

@brambos said:

but it had it flaws,

Good attitude indeed. I still recall my first experience with midi when my best pal and his brother each bought Korg Poly800s and cabled them together for this swirling sequenced midi goodness and I almost shit my pants on the spot. This had to be about 1984 or so. My pal kept saying excitedly, “this is the future right here!” and we were laughing and marveling at the sound and the future.

Sure enough, the Poly800 is one of those synths that I just must have. Great memories.

• Hardware is too fun to give up. Nothing satisfies GAS like a new piece of gear. Today I'm playing my Novation Supernova II Pro-X, patched through AUM into whatever app I choose. So amazing!