Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Real time sequencer AUM?

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @midiSequencer loving Photon and the beta is very clean. I'd say "ready to roll". One question: can you offer the knob behavior options you offer in MidiEcho? I find the knobs in Photon to be fiddly and the solution you included in MidiEcho works well for me.

Its the same, tap the title to switch between follow your finger and updownleftright

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @midiSequencer Thanks for releasing the manual first actually great idea to make one learn about all the features before the apps release. Good stuff. Standby for questions!

Np, it gives people an idea of what to expect when they first open it. I will do quickstarts or all main functions too.
    But of course not everyone reads manuals so video is next.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @midiSequencer Good manual, good read and straightforward and to the point. Glad you added how to load inside AUM. In regards sharing midi out with other apps what are the options just airdrop and email or is “Open In” a option ?

sharing is standard airdrop , so any app you have installed that recognises .mid files (dropbox, files app, cubasis, audioshare, notion, patterning, apematrix, bm3 etc)
    its a pain about input of midi files though, but i will have a solution for that after launch.

Also, first release is ipad only, although it works on a phone its needs a more compact ui, so will work on that next too as a free upgrade

• @midiSequencer said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @midiSequencer Good manual, good read and straightforward and to the point. Glad you added how to load inside AUM. In regards sharing midi out with other apps what are the options just airdrop and email or is “Open In” a option ?

sharing is standard airdrop , so any app you have installed that recognises .mid files (dropbox, files app, cubasis, audioshare, notion, patterning, apematrix, bm3 etc)
    its a pain about input of midi files though, but i will have a solution for that after launch.

Also, first release is ipad only, although it works on a phone its needs a more compact ui, so will work on that next too as a free upgrade

All good stuff hope you crack the midi in file support after release of course.

• @midiSequencer said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @midiSequencer loving Photon and the beta is very clean. I'd say "ready to roll". One question: can you offer the knob behavior options you offer in MidiEcho? I find the knobs in Photon to be fiddly and the solution you included in MidiEcho works well for me.

Its the same, tap the title to switch between follow your finger and updownleftright

Ah, OK. I was doing a long press. Thx.

• u> @Jumpercollins said:

All good stuff hope you crack the midi in file support after release of course.

I have a solution thx to Jonatan, but it involves writing a document picker in the standalone application to expose the files. He did this for Audioshare as there is no other way at the moment thx to Apple

• @midiSequencer skim-read the documentation. Having 4 pads for patterns is awesome and very key. The groove templates sound like a lot of fun for modifying existing patterns. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• edited February 2019

good news folks! Ive got file input working for Photon, so now you can access the .mid files using Apple Files app or open a .mid file using Photon(eg from an email attachment)
    Just need to put some checks in place to ensure the files are valid.

• @midiSequencer said:
    good news folks! Ive got file input working for Photon, so now you can access the .mid files using Apple Files app or open a .mid file using Photon(eg from an email attachment)

Cool! Does it mean drag&drop as wel?

• edited February 2019

@recccp said:

two apps side by side on a split screen ipad? never tried it myself.
    Any Au apps do this now?

• @midiSequencer said:

Rocking. Send it out in the beta and I'll take it for a spin with drag and drop.

• @midiSequencer said:

@recccp said:

two apps side by side on a split screen ipad? never tried it myself.
    Any Au apps do this now?

Yes!
    Two AUs I know of, Humbletunes Elsa and Tardigrain (audio drag&drop)

• edited February 2019

@midiSequencer said:

Can this be implemented into Quantum?

Edit.. I think Photon is one of the most important apps for iPad music (to be released).. Thanks..

• @RajahP will look into it

• edited February 2019

@midiSequencer said:
    @RajahP will look into it

Will be nice to take some of these sequences that Photon has recorded and edit, enhance, transpose etc... Thanks..

Edit... Bread and butter..

• edited February 2019

@RajahP said:

@midiSequencer said:
    @RajahP will look into it

Will be nice to take some of these sequences that Photon has recorded and edit, enhance, transpose etc... Thanks..

Edit... Bread and butter..

Yes - I had it working with Files App (so you could see Photon & therefore could go anywhere from there) but had to rework it - so almost there

• edited February 2019

From page 6 in the manual.. This is so important and nice... And in AU too.. sweet..

**_There are also three rotaries to allow:
    Channel
    You can choose to record only one particular midi channel by setting this control. Keep at – to record all midi channels.

Length
    By default, recording will be unlimited (1 million events). However you can restrict the recording to be only a number of bars (with a bar being 4 beats). This allows you to create a fixed length midi file suitable for looping.
    You can edit the length of the buffer afterwards if you prefer.

Quantise
    Use this control to automatically quantise midi note events as they are recorded.
    The default setting is off, but you can choose 1/1, 1⁄2, 1⁄4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 or 1/64 where each represents a division of a beat (so 1⁄4 is quarter of a beat).
    The Orange tap text to its right is used to determine what part of the note information is quantized: the start beat position, the note duration, or b_**oth.

• @RajahP said:
    From page 6 in the manual.. This is so important and nice... And in AU too.. sweet..

Channel
    You can choose to record only one particular midi channel by setting this control. Keep at – to record all midi channels.

Length
    By default, recording will be unlimited (1 million events). However you can restrict the recording to be only a number of bars (with a bar being 4 beats). This allows you to create a fixed length midi file suitable for looping.

Quantise
    Use this control to automatically quantise midi note events as they are recorded.
    The default setting is off, but you can choose 1/1, 1⁄2, 1⁄4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 or 1/64 where each represents a division of a beat (so 1⁄4 is quarter of a beat).
    The Orange tap text to its right is used to determine what part of the note information is quantized: the start beat position, the note duration, or b_**oth.

And it works so fabulously!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@RajahP said:

Channel

Length

Quantise

And it works so fabulously!

I can imagine..

• soon - very soon!!
    I'm just finishing the ability to import midi files & manage them in the standalone app too - now I know how to do this for AU apps.

You can use airdrop to 'Open in Photon' a .mid file from email, other apps etc.
    Files app is just broken with AU
    Drag and drop will be after launch as its a nice to have....

Last to do is some small updates to the manual & video of this all working

• @midiSequencer thank you for your willingness to fill this niche and the work you’ve put into it. I hope you will be well compensated by this community. :)

• wimwim
    edited February 2019

I know he’s saving me months of learning curve and effort. I was ready to dive in to build something like this myself!

And, it’s likely to work, which I can’t say I really expected if I tried it. B)

• @audiblevideo said:
    @midiSequencer thank you for your willingness to fill this niche and the work you’ve put into it. I hope you will be well compensated by this community. :)

no problem - hope you enjoy the app

• @wim said:
    I know he’s saving me months of learning curve and effort. I was ready to dive in to build something like this myself!

And, it’s likely to work, which I can’t say I really expected if I tried it. B)

Always worth learning yourself though ;)

• The wait is killing me.

Not really though, just excited to get my hands on this.
    :)

• So, correct me if I am wrong - I imagine that we could record midi that is also coming into IOS via outboard/DAW and also be recording the internal midi at the same time?

• @Mayo said:
    So, correct me if I am wrong - I imagine that we could record midi that is also coming into IOS via outboard/DAW and also be recording the internal midi at the same time?

If you can pipe MIDI into an AB3 or AUM channel, you can record it.

• Well that is pretty promising !
    I can have my (dusty) Air2 as a dedicated multitrack midi recorder for my whole studio!

• edited February 2019

Is it possible to read or DL the manual without beta testing? I agree that wait is terrible :D ... any estimated time for AppStore version release? Still possible to join beta test team?

• @Janosax said:
    Is it possible to read or DL the manual without beta testing? I agree that wait is terrible :D ... any estimated time for AppStore version release? Still possible to join beta test team?

Yep...I did download it...

http://www.amssoftware.org/manual/PhotonManual.pdf