Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's With IK??

13»

Comments

• edited July 2018

@craclepot @LinearLineman
    I made a demo of the sounds in NOTION & used Beethoven’s Allegretto as an example.
    This is extra symphonic sounds that I’ve bought in-app. I’ve then arranged the score for these instruments.

I’ve also used fabfilters in Auria Pro before posting.

• @Kuhl: That's a pretty solid orchestra sound for IOS at $15 for Notion and another $30 for the sounds (and maybe another $5 for extra percussion). Getting the score feature along the way makes this very attractive.

It looks like they have some jazz add-ons too but no trumpet (which the @LinearLineman wants).

Have you tested the handwriting IAP for music entry? How about metronome-based MIDI note entry? Play it and read it?

• I am curious, @McDtracy and @kuhl. Can you import a midi file into notion and get a quantized score? If so can it deal with high speed playing? Thanks.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I am curious, @McDtracy and @kuhl. Can you import a midi file into notion and get a quantized score? If so can it deal with high speed playing? Thanks.

Yep & yep to your questions. High speed playing needs low latency, do you’ll have to have top gear.

• edited July 2018

@McDtracy said:
    @Kuhl: That's a pretty solid orchestra sound for IOS at $15 for Notion and another $30 for the sounds (and maybe another $5 for extra percussion). Getting the score feature along the way makes this very attractive.

It looks like they have some jazz add-ons too but no trumpet (which the @LinearLineman wants).

Have you tested the handwriting IAP for music entry? How about metronome-based MIDI note entry? Play it and read it?

Play, record & read... however, I’m no pianist. Handwriting is the best you get on iOS, or ever... Apple Pencil required. In Symphony Pro you can just use a stylus or your finger...

• @kuhl, what do you mean by top gear? What do I need cause I think I would like to fool with this. Thanks!

• @LinearLineman iPad Pro or maybe iPad 2018 I'd guess. I haven't spent the money yet to test Notion. I guess the $15 entry fee would resolve this question. The $30 extra is for the sounds.

To get accurate live notation you have to play to a metronome or start from a midi drum track I think. Pumping Soft Drummer MIDI into Notion for the first track with sync'ed clocks would probably do it. Then you could get a clear transcription of your playing.

I think you should pay the $15 and test on your current iPad with something not so fast and see if it gets it right. Then repeat with faster clocks to see where it breaks down.

• First session with Notion for $15 + $1 to add acoustic bass:

I had to register to get the free sounds (put in name and email and they email you a 3 digit code) which include all the standard jazz combo instruments but needed to pay $1 for the acoustic bass. Clever idea to get me used to buying sounds.

For some reason, my sustain pedal has no effect in this app.

Live recording of the piano works very well. It shows notes to the nearest 8th by default but records the midi like a recording with rolled chords and small gestures that do not get notated for simplicity and to save CPU resources. So, you get a nice clean lead sheet of the playing without over notating a jazz swing style for example. Dusplay a shuffle as 8ths and not complex triplets.

Looks like a learning curve to master it but you get a lot for $15+$1. The sounds are close to a good SF2 General MIDI Library. Probably based on one of the Public Domain SF2 libraries similar to the MuseScore.org SF2 library. Good enough for basic piano and jazz combo playback for composers.

Off to try an orchestral MIDI file import... maybe Elgar's Nimrod from the Enigma Variations or Stravinski's Firebird Suite. I'll be back.

• I pulled up one of the demo scores and immediately wanted to hear it... so I paid the $30 and it's downloading all sounds. Could take a while to hear anything. I'll be back.

• In for $16 in for $46 I guess. Hope it meets your high standards.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @kuhl, what do you mean by top gear? What do I need cause I think I would like to fool with this. Thanks!

A fast iPad, like the 12,9 Pro

• @McDtracy said:
    I pulled up one of the demo scores and immediately wanted to hear it... so I paid the $30 and it's downloading all sounds. Could take a while to hear anything. I'll be back.

Fun isn’t it? :smile:

And one thing I forgot. If you want to buy the desktop version, you can crossgrade with iOS notion. That way it’s cheaper. At least when I bought mine...

• I have the sounds and they are good... not great. You get them all for $30 so the $1 I spent to get the bass was wasted in a sense. Live and learn. Adding MIDI files via iTunes fails to show any new files but dropbox import worked. Not everything comes in clear
    which is pretty standard for complex MIDI files... for jazz/pop stuff the drums get mapped to bass on my first try for a jazz combo MIDI.

Still digging.