Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's With IK??

Comments

• @robertreynolds just my point. IK support asked me to do this, or should we forget about it and just party!

• They asked you to give them any patches that seemed off. They didn’t ask you to quality control their entire product. I’m no IK fan but they provided you with a really reasonable request and you’re on here acting like a rude 5-year old. They don’t have to help us here. They choose to. Your attitude makes us all look bad and is what drives company reps away from this forum.

• Thanks @McDTracy. I had the same idea. Uninstalled, reinstalled all problems gone, gone, gone. I am a newbie. If tech had suggested this the problem would have been resolved. Instead I got a homework assignment and a reputation to be no fun at parties!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @McDTracy. I had the same idea. Uninstalled, reinstalled all problems gone, gone, gone. I am a newbie. If tech had suggested this the problem would have been resolved. Instead I got a homework assignment and a reputation to be no fun at parties!

Once you gave them more details/specifics about the few sounds you had experienced issues with, they would have tried to recreate the issue and upon not being able to do so they likely would have then suggested you uninstall/reinstall. They do not typically follow a "The IT Crowd" approach of answering each query with "have you tried turning it off and on again?" but can quickly get there if that is indeed the solution.

• @robertreynolds said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Well, could you please go through all 140 sounds then. That would be a good thing for you to know for sure. Personally and not hearsay, I mean. Thanks for your attention to this.

You must be really fun at parties.

That is the wrong way to approach a frustrated customer. It's much better to ask for one example of something considered to be wrong or broken and knock that one down to create a process where you and the customer are working together.

Suggesting a homework exercise in reviewing all the 140 sounds is just a recipe for telling someone to stick the product where the sun don't shine, IMHO.

RE: REFUNDS IN APP's and IAP's. What's the process for doing that with iTunes as the money taker? Has anyone gotten a refund on an App and IAP? I'm assuming SampleTank was purchased and Miroslav was bought In App using iTunes to handle the transaction.

OT: I hate IAP's when I make an app available on Family Share but the IAP's are locked down to iTunes Account ONLY. Is there a way to fix that? I'm asuming the family member would be charged for the download of the IAP products. Maybe not... Does anyone know?

• @McDtracy said:

That is the wrong way to approach a frustrated customer. It's much better to ask for one example of something considered to be wrong or broken and knock that one down to create a process where you and the customer are working together.

Suggesting a homework exercise in reviewing all the 140 sounds is just a recipe for telling someone to stick the product where the sun don't shine, IMHO.

RE: REFUNDS IN APP's and IAP's. What's the process for doing that with iTunes as the money taker? Has anyone gotten a refund on an App and IAP? I'm assuming SampleTank was purchased and Miroslav was bought In App using iTunes to handle the transaction.

OT: I hate IAP's when I make an app available on Family Share but the IAP's are locked down to iTunes Account ONLY. Is there a way to fix that? I'm asuming the family member would be charged for the download of the IAP products. Maybe not... Does anyone know?

Just to be sure, we did not ask a frustrated user to go through 140 sounds, that was OP asking me to do so. Our tech asked for the details of the specific sounds and issues so they could help knock them out one by one (or come to the conclusion that the resolution was to delete/reinstall).

• Worth mentioning that RobertReynolds is probably not working for or for IK Multimedia. But this type of request is often put forth from bad and frustrated customer support reps.

"This is is being recorded for quality control purposes." That rarely seems to provide any benefit for me. I was escalating a call within AT&T U-Verse and the manager took back what the support rep had offered me to make me happy. Only a company as large as AT&T would probably behave that way.

• edited June 2018

I gotta give it up for the IK guy who always shows up on this forum though! He does a good job, because he's not hiding, unlike many other companies who do not seem to have any representation here or anywhere else really.

I would not be able to do the job that the IK guy does on this forum and elsewhere. I probably wouldn't last a single day.

• Well, it was an interesting exercise (not that I meant it to be!) To IK's digital manager's credit he continued to show up and give as good as he got with good humor. I respect that.

As far as the "IT crowd" is concerned I believe it is best to judge each case on its own merit. I explained to the rep that notes were not sounding, and saying such and such instruments did so and so doesn't alter the fact of the general complaint that notes were not sounding and, in such a case, from experience the solution at IK is reboot. Occam's Razor, you know... the simplest answer usually being correct. The rep, from experience, or asking a wiser head should have encountered such a situation IMO.

But, hey, all is well, once I got past all the missing notes I could appreciate many of the instruments... but not the oboe! No refund required. I am sure I will get use out of it. Will just supplement with iSymphonic on the weak parts (ouch! Sorry, IK, had to give one last little zinger. I am sure you see the humor).
    No one went to the hospital and most of us came out winners. I call that a good day's work. No hard feelings, I hope.

• I just want say that I appreciate the kindness of the ikmultimedia rep here.

I hope he won't be soured by the reception he had here and will continue to participate.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I just want say that I appreciate the kindness of the ikmultimedia rep here.

I hope he won't be soured by the reception he had here and will continue to participate.

+1 for that.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I just want say that I appreciate the kindness of the ikmultimedia rep here.

Agreed, unfortunately we may have in fact soured his predecessors long ago. No need to bring up old squabbles, but there is a bit of history with IK on the forum. I’m happy to see a very reasonable response from them here. For the benefit of the iOS music community I hope they have continued success and capacity to develop more for iOS.

• I really like the IK rep as well. But seriously I have witnessed way worse abuse on here.
    The Cakewalk rep and Goose EQ dev come to mind.
    I don’t really get it. I have nothing but gratitude and respect for iOS devs.
    I look at them as part of the same team as the user base. We really need to support each other more. It usually is a mutually supportive environment around here, and that is a great thing.

• if you want a complete orchestra on IOS what are the choices and the cost of each?
    I have symphonic products in SampleTank, Module (incomplete), iSymphonic (i'm only $10 into what will take a lot to complete). Are there more choices to create custom symphonies on IOS? What do they cost?

I think a lot of FUD got thrown at MP2 and it deserves more respect becuase I'm not sure I or IK cab replicate the missing notes for piccolo or contrabass in the product and we haven't made progress here: just product reputation damage.

I would love a complete orchestra sample set that works as an AU for a reasonable price. I don't think we have one and the effort to make one is daunting. iSymphonic will get there but at what cost? What would you pay? FYI: there are clearly f**ked up notes in the base iSymphonic product that can really mess up your creativity. The notes that work are stunning but there are a few that are an embarressment. I'll provide details if Crudebyte gives a hoot like IK does to wade into the lion's den of this snake pit of doom: many have tried but few have stood up against the flood of ridicule. The small dev has no other option but to try... the bigger shops don't really need the bad image we represent. They sell through the traditional opinion outlets not our little band of rebels.

• I would imagine that making SampleTank AU compatible is a non-trivial task. Let's be patient and hopefully they will deliver, but it's reasonable to expect it to take some time, and it's better for everyone if they don't rush it.

Also, when this thread started I was concerned it was just going to become a huge pile-on, but credit to the IK rep for handling the situation gracefully.

If we want bigger companies to port their products to iOS we need to support them - people complain about the prices of the IK apps, but IMO the prices are realistic for what they are delivering, and the value is pretty good. There's lots of stuff in SampleTank that I really like: the Pro Pack, Miroslav 2, Imperial Grand, and American Acoustic are well worth the price.

• Yes, I have really enjoyed this thread a lot!

1. I really compliment IKs rep here for his cool, unruffled, even -handed anti confrontational demeanor. I even insulted his background! But really I did it in not a mean spirit. Just to juice up the dialogue and express my dissatisfaction with unconscious, programmed response to my issue. I was judging all of IK based on the rep who emailed me re the problem. Of course it is Digital Manager's job to be the face of the company. I only wish we could hear his unspoken thoughts about IK!

2. I must again praise IK for being Johnny on the spot. I wish I could say the same about UVI and RC275's pedal problem. But perhaps we will hear from them on the Rsvenscroft thread yet and they will redeem themselves.

3. I didn't realize I would touch a nerve re IK. I can understand, from my own experience, that we all suffer from the lack of perfection of technical support, automated responses, hold times.... The whole litany of modern woe. But, in truth, it is because we have all these marvels that problems must neccesary ly arise. Our personal frustrations with the 21st century often leak into these absurd problem solving dramas as it did for me with MP2. But with a steadier mind I am reminded of the zen anecdote of the empty boat.... If you are paddling a boat on a river and you bump into another boat you can get angry at the person who you perceived hit you. But if you are rowing a boat and an empty boat bumps into you you do not get angry at the empty boat. All boats are empty! Ahhh, I feel better just thinking of it.

4. Finally, I am relatively and really pleased with MP2. For $30 it is quite a value. I don't bond with ST and we all know that is a real condition that either happens or doesn't with these apps. And it is subjective. My frustration over the glitches and lack of bond ability (for me) with ST overwhelmed the good points of the product. Sure it has a lousy oboe, the French horns are thin, etc, but if I heard this when I was 20 (50 years ago) and Cubasis to boot I would have fainted! So I can find good horns and choirs and tympanic in iSymphonic. No problem really.

Thanks to all of you who joined in the fun and again, to Mr. Manager. I hope there are no hard feelings!

• @robertreynolds. Just read your post. "A rude five year old."That just what my wife calls me! Maybe you and I could date?

Seriously, I spent twenty long years representing commercial artists to big corporations. I have come across every rudeness there is including a creative head telling me the artist was on coke and painted the piece in between snorting and f$%#€ing his wife. Now that's rude! In that case I discovered the creative head was the drug abuser. When I dropped the price five grand he calmed down and the painting was fine suddenly fine. (The artist was nationally known, commanding five figures a painting). Any similarities here?

I think you can read my posts and my admissions and respect for how Digital Manager handled my criticism. I was over the top a little, for dramatic effect ( I'm a playwright), but that does not discredit my observations of the system. Forums began in Greece, I believe. It was a place where everything could be said and was. We have not condemned Socrates to death here and I believe we are mostly all tough enough to take a little verbal abuse. I am the first to laugh at my own, unconscious, conscious, incessant egoistic behavior, but I forgive myself because I am just a human being.
    So, @robertreynolds, can you say the same? I hope so. Maybe dinner next week and after a cocktail at my place?

• @McDtracy said:
    if you want a complete orchestra on IOS what are the choices and the cost of each?
    I have symphonic products in SampleTank, Module (incomplete), iSymphonic (i'm only $10 into what will take a lot to complete). Are there more choices to create custom symphonies on IOS? What do they cost?

I think a lot of FUD got thrown at MP2 and it deserves more respect becuase I'm not sure I or IK cab replicate the missing notes for piccolo or contrabass in the product and we haven't made progress here: just product reputation damage.

I would love a complete orchestra sample set that works as an AU for a reasonable price. I don't think we have one and the effort to make one is daunting. iSymphonic will get there but at what cost? What would you pay? FYI: there are clearly f**ked up notes in the base iSymphonic product that can really mess up your creativity. The notes that work are stunning but there are a few that are an embarressment. I'll provide details if Crudebyte gives a hoot like IK does to wade into the lion's den of this snake pit of doom: many have tried but few have stood up against the flood of ridicule. The small dev has no other option but to try... the bigger shops don't really need the bad image we represent. They sell through the traditional opinion outlets not our little band of rebels.

The only one I know of that you didn’t mention is BeatHawk. It is very reasonably priced, and the soundpacks go on sale frequently, and are on sale currently I believe.

They have Tutti Orchestra, as well as various ensembles separately. I find them very excellent for the price. You can listen to demos in the IAP store in app, but you may be able to hear demos on their website or YouTube as well.

• I’ve had my complaints about IK over the years, but I continue to support them. The fixes and improvements may not come as quickly as we would like, but they always come.

• Syntronik + IAP is the only IK app I own that I've ended up being completely happy with, and had very few regrets. It would be worth so much more to me, though, if you could send other apps audio signals through it, to be processed by its incredibly diverse multi-effects pane.

Also would be nice if it was easier to automate (perhaps via ApeMatrix) ..

• edited June 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    I seldom have a beef with a developer (in my brief life on planet iOS, but IK has gotten to me over Miroslav Philharmonic 2! I waited for this to go on sale and was thirsting for it (you know the feeling?) in lieu of spending a couple of hundred for the complete iSymphonic (you get what you pay for). So I unwrap my beautiful orchestra and find many of the instruments do not complete the range of the instrument (are they proud to limit the sounds in the first place...
    We are synth masters here after all. We like to push the limits. But less than an octave for a piccolo, three whole tones for a contrabass and so on, and all those white keys that should sound but don't, and what's with those damn pink keys on ST you have to look at but never use!? Not to mention an oboe that's further from a reed than I am to the Nile River (well, Turkey isn't really that far from Egypt).

And I have heard complaints about these faults from others... So I write IK and they respond "send a list of the problem patches and we'll see." I mean, they gotta know it's f%#€£?!ed up. I've heard the same complaints from others.
    So why should I do all this work making lists when they know it's a problem?
    Ok, so some might say $30 for a decent marimba and flute sound is not too bad. Well, no one here really. I just hate getting a runaround when they know what's up.

And while I'm at it, though I am in love with the RC 275 piano, I wrote them about the widely talked of pedal noise and they responded they never heard of such a thing! Well, I forgive them, because the piano is amazing, but not IK!
    SampleTank's graphics are the worst IMO. I hate looking at those corny instruments! Eeerrr! Thanks for letting me rant. Anyone feel the same?
    (Seriously, I know IK is a good company. All the more more reason they should own up to a known problem and not get people to submit lists of problem patches)

I feel you broh! I’m very disappointed with miroslaw 2. I kinda like miroslaw 1, but I had to invest in iSymphonic and all the addons before I had a complete orchestra. Here is iSymphonic and model 15 doing Mahlers Adagietto, from the movie Death in Venice... but you probably know that lol.
    I played each midi track in cubasis. I think I reduced the score into 5 tracks. Btw. I used the orchestra score and not Mahlers piano score. The lead melody is model 15. Although it’s not always easy to know where he intended the melody line. It gets very cluttered harmonically at the end. It’s not hard to understand that Arnold Schoenberg was the result of this music... the dissolving of harmony and atonality.
    Anyway! Then I transferred the audio into Auria Pro for the final L2 Fabfilter.

I guess many great conductors are wriggling in their graves now. But Leo may have liked this approach.
    And don’t forget the good sounds in Notion. I use both the iOS and desktop version and I’m very satisfied.

• @ikmultimedia : Always got great customer service from you guys . Please
    Make a guitar modeling app like mondobass (w strumming )
    Make Sampletank au3 compatible
    That is all

• +1 for Sampletank being AU3, it needs it now.

• I keep Sample Tank around mainly for one single pack which I think sounds better than anything else in th category. That being the American Accoustic Guitar.

What irritates me every time I launch ST, is that the first thing I see is a great big advert, which must be dismissed before anything can be done. Then, the keyboard is always in the wrong place for the pack, and must be manually scrolled left before it is usable.

• @ikmultimedia if you haven’t noticed, AU is a bid deal around here. Many many iOS folks have committed to only purchase and invest in apps that support auv3, myself included. We’ve asked about SampleTank AU a year ago. Is that still on the table?

• @ion677 said:
    @ikmultimedia if you haven’t noticed, AU is a bid deal around here. Many many iOS folks have committed to only purchase and invest in apps that support auv3, myself included. We’ve asked about SampleTank AU a year ago. Is that still on the table?

I hope all of you have bought the whole Syntronik suite, then. Otherwise, what the hell are you talking about?

• @CracklePot said:

@ion677 said:
    @ikmultimedia if you haven’t noticed, AU is a bid deal around here. Many many iOS folks have committed to only purchase and invest in apps that support auv3, myself included. We’ve asked about SampleTank AU a year ago. Is that still on the table?

I hope all of you have bought the whole Syntronik suite, then. Otherwise, what the hell are you talking about?

They’re two very different products. Syntronic doesn't interest me because I already own a dozen AU synth apps. We’re very short on AU apps that emulate high quality acoustic instruments.

• @ikmultimedia

Respekt! Great that you are here answering a bunch of emotional artists :wink:

• @ion677 said:

@CracklePot said:

@ion677 said:

They’re two very different products. Syntronic doesn't interest me because I already own a dozen AU synth apps. We’re very short on AU apps that emulate high quality acoustic instruments.

I would say we are short on high quality acoustic instruments, period. The few others that already exist are mostly AU already, just not Sampletank. AU doesn’t seem to be the deciding factor for you or anybody else. It just matters if you feel like buying it, just like everybody else. Even if the dev goes through the PITA to make their app AU, it is no way a guarantee that it will sell well. If people think they don’t want it or need it, or simply can’t afford it, they won’t buy it.

Sure there may be you and some others who won’t even consider an app because it is not AU, but I will buy it regardless, as long as it does something useful or interesting. For myself and many others, AU is nice, but doesn’t really matter. What the app does and how it does it matters.

• edited June 2018

In the case of SampleTank the fact that it’s still not AU does matter for me and it’s the deciding factor. I would buy virtually all SampleTank IAPs, but I can’t use the app with just IAA, it doesn’t fit my live setup. I can’t spend 5 minutes between songs searching for the right presets in each channel because the app state can’t be saved in AUM. I only use AUs in my AUM setup, and have to rely on Bs-16i, iSymphonic, Heavy Brass for acoustic instrumens. I’d love to use SampleTank sounds but I can’t as it is now. However, I do own Syntronic with its full suite, just perfect for my needs because it’s AU.