Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUv3 StepPoly ARP AU OMG!!!!

Comments

• @Daveypoo said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Daveypoo said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@MonzoPro said:

Use Rozeta Cells if you want to vary gate length per step.

Ah thanks. To be honest I’m completely stumped by Cells. Sometimes I can get it to work, other times nothing seems to happen. Just had a quick play, but gate length seems to be applied to all notes, even when one is selected. Unless I’m doing it wrong (most likely). Seems a bit erratic on playback too.

Universal gate length is the default in Cells. You have to turn it off in a sub-menu.

ok cheers, I'll check that out.

@MonzoPro In my latest video I use Cells to get some great syncopated keyboard sounds by turning off the global gate length and adjusting them individually:

Thanks Dave I’ll have a look.

Have you got SPA, if so what do you think of it?

Out of all the new apps I haven’t got (Synthmaster, the Icegear synth, Apematrix), SPA is looking like it’ll be the one to get my cash.

I’ve tried Cells, but although I’m a big Rozeta/Brambos fan, that particular AU doesn’t do it for me. I’ve got Modstep too but never use it. With its clean UI and AU support, SPA looks like something I’d actually find a use for.

I’ll check your vid though, maybe I can get by with it if it clicks.

I do have SPAU but I've honestly been too distracted by apeMatrix to spend much time with it. I know, they work together but y'know - kids, life, stuff, etc. The kids are camping with Grandma & Grandpa this weekend so I know I'll have some time to dig in.

Cells was a revelation because it could play chords, but I quickly found myself having it just play pads for a bar or two under changing basslines. That was cool but got old. When I realized I could turn off the global gate length, it gave me a new angle.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I try to shove all of these apps through my little 80's-electro-funk lens to see if they can do something tonal, harmonic and accessible. Making ambient music is easy - it's wrangling these apps into making traditional radio-oriented stuff where it can get tricky.

Anyway, I'm kinda sorry for the shameless self-promotion but not really..... I do hope it gives you some ideas at least. :smiley:

I am confident that SPAU will blow open my head and I'll start blabbing about it too....

Thanks again, like the sound you’re getting in your vid.

I found the setting to turn off the global gate length which is good. I think SPA is going to be more useful for my needs though - it’s good to have a visual reference to what notes are playing, and easy access to edit them. I’ll play a bit more with Cells, but I think SPA would be a good investment.

• I am confident that SPAU will blow open my head and I'll start blabbing about it too....

Thanks again, like the sound you’re getting in your vid.

I found the setting to turn off the global gate length which is good. I think SPA is going to be more useful for my needs though - it’s good to have a visual reference to what notes are playing, and easy access to edit them. I’ll play a bit more with Cells, but I think SPA would be a good investment.

No problem! I went back and forth with SPAU but since I do SO much with Rozeta and AUM (and now apeMatrix) I realized that having another tool for variety would help. I'm looking forward to making more interesting chordal parts and basslines with this once I get my head around it.

• Loving this. Sequence mode is great. Wouldn’t mind having the option of a piano roll instead of just steps from root note. I do like cells but I really enjoy quickly editing sequences in SPA.

• I notice in the vids there isn’t a full chromatic scale visible. I’ve seen you can change the values of what notes are used (+4 etc.), but can you have the full range of 12 notes if you need it? I presume it’d just mean a bit of scrolling?

• Trying to use a few instances in Aum to sequence my hardware synths on different midi channels, and a couple sampler tracks in Gadget / GR-16. Is there any way to filter the midi channels, so e.g. 1st StepPoly is sequencing SH-01a on channel 1, 2nd sequencing ESQ-1 on channel 2, 3rd Gadget on channel 3 etc? Can't figure it out, is this a limitation of AUM or StepPolyArp?

• edited June 2018

Ah just read an earlier post saying that you would have to change the midi channel for each individual row in each instance? Not a great workaround as you could only use the template you saved with these settings, and not be able to switch presets etc. Surely there's a better way to send AU SPAs to a certain midi channel like you can in the standalone?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2018

@Dawdles said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I notice in the vids there isn’t a full chromatic scale visible. I’ve seen you can change the values of what notes are used (+4 etc.), but can you have the full range of 12 notes if you need it? I presume it’d just mean a bit of scrolling?

My only real complaint about the app is the lack of a full scale option in the grid. Would love to see it added. You can dial in any note you like but it's often not very fluid. You have to dial in the note interval per row by swiping in the value boxes far left. And then place your notes. Not ideal for fast workflow.

Some small GUI adjustments and an alt 'full chromatic piano roll' mode would make the app pretty much perfect from my POV...

Ah right..,not ideal. Does that mean you’re limited to 7 notes, or can you dial in different notes on each row?

Bit of a weird setup, they could just add a scroll bar.

• Yeah, echoing @Artefact2001 's sentiment, I am a HUGE fan of this developer, moreso because of ChordPolyPad, which is one of those apps that made me realize how iOS music could actually expand musical theory capabilities rather than just bastardizing it.

But I'm just not sure $15 for AU functionality that could have been built into the original app is a good decision for me. StepPolyArp already has a bit of a language of its own. It looks almost like a traditional piano roll sequencer with the interface, but it's actually sort of a niche approach to sequencing and composition. Of course, it can be made to do things much more varied and powerful than I have the knowledge or patience to accomplish.

But I HAVE the original app and this one doesn't seem to be functionally any different. AU is just a vehicle for getting apps to talk to one another. AudioBus actively policed people who attached an IAP charge for "unlocking" AudioBus functionality in pre-existing apps for that reason. As a one-off cost (and again, applied to a great developer and useful app like this one), we excuse it. But I'd be troubled if AU became the new standard (which is gradually happening), and there's precedent for having to re-buy all of the apps I've bought from 2013-17 to get said apps to function in a modern iOS workflow.

• While waiting for Thesys and quantum to get AU versions this is as good as it gets

• @MonzoPro said:

@Dawdles said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I notice in the vids there isn’t a full chromatic scale visible. I’ve seen you can change the values of what notes are used (+4 etc.), but can you have the full range of 12 notes if you need it? I presume it’d just mean a bit of scrolling?

My only real complaint about the app is the lack of a full scale option in the grid. Would love to see it added. You can dial in any note you like but it's often not very fluid. You have to dial in the note interval per row by swiping in the value boxes far left. And then place your notes. Not ideal for fast workflow.

Some small GUI adjustments and an alt 'full chromatic piano roll' mode would make the app pretty much perfect from my POV...

Ah right..,not ideal. Does that mean you’re limited to 7 notes, or can you dial in different notes on each row?

You're limited to the rows that show, but you can dial in any notes you want in those rows.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

It's interesting how people are beginning to evaluate this arpeggiator based on its abilities as a step sequencer. It isn't a step sequencer, it's an arpeggiator that has some bonus step sequencer ability bolted on. Shows how much a simple AU format piano roll sequencer is hungered for.

• @wim said:
    It's interesting how people are beginning to evaluate this arpeggiator based on its abilities as a step sequencer. It isn't a step sequencer, it's an arpeggiator that has some bonus step sequencer ability bolted on. Shows how much a simple AU format piano roll sequencer is hungered for.

Actually. It's name is StepPolyArp. So step sequencer is in the name itself lol. Maybe that's why people are putting so much emphasis on that ability. That being said I love the wierd hybrid thing it is to bits.

• @StormJH1 said:
    But I'd be troubled if AU became the new standard (which is gradually happening), and there's precedent for having to re-buy all of the apps I've bought from 2013-17 to get said apps to function in a modern iOS workflow.

Understandable sentiment. But on the other hand, why expect developers to get no compensation at all for the considerable investment on their part to add this capability? What else in our lives do we expect to continually improve at no cost to ourselves? Looking at it from a developer's perspective, the motivation to add AU capability based only on the return on investment from new customers, is a lot less than if the potential market is that plus some percentage of existing customers.

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to add some perspective to make the pill easier to swallow.

• @wim said:

@StormJH1 said:
    But I'd be troubled if AU became the new standard (which is gradually happening), and there's precedent for having to re-buy all of the apps I've bought from 2013-17 to get said apps to function in a modern iOS workflow.

Understandable sentiment. But on the other hand, why expect developers to get no compensation at all for the considerable investment on their part to add this capability? What else in our lives do we expect to continually improve at no cost to ourselves? Looking at it from a developer's perspective, the motivation to add AU capability based only on the return on investment from new customers, is a lot less than if the potential market is that plus some percentage of existing customers.

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to add some perspective to make the pill easier to swallow.

Yeah I personally would repay for any of the apps I’ve had for a while to get them up and running in AU land. Im happy when I’ve already had my monies worth. The only problem I have is when apps suddenly disappear for a new version when I’ve just bought it. That’s pretty much why I never buy any apps now that are over a couple of years old.

Yeah it’s nice if some updates happen for free over the apps lifetime. After a certain length of an apps lifetime, devs need to resell to the masses and that usually means a new app version.

I’ve definitely become more selective what I buy. Luckily for me, I had the original version of this app for years so I really don’t mind buying it again to support future development. Especially as this app as an AU is so much more useful. Multiple instances of this app is where it shines.

Some apps I won’t buy again, especially if they got little use the first time around. Obviously just shooting the breeze and it’s fine that others feel differently. After all, we vote with our wallets anyway :)

• Just hooked up Midi Designer Pro... And yeah, Bluetooth is a blast. B)

• To be fair. A more pressing feature request is to let us enter precise values per step into the cc automation area. Just sliding up and down is extremely fiddly.

• wimwim
    edited June 2018

@Dawdles said:

@wim said:

It has both sequencer vs arp modes ;) My request for full octave in the grid is only for quicker worflow from my POV. For use in both modes. Vs have to scroll through values... I've never needed the 'AU format piano roll sequencer' you mention as BM3 has its own built in...(though yeah for sure that would be a no-brainer app to build for dedicated AUM users :)

An octave is generally 7 notes though, so there are enough rows for an octave + a few in most cases. No?

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Dawdles said:

@MonzoPro said:

You're limited to the rows that show, but you can dial in any notes you want in those rows.

Thanks. Just had another reply which says there’s a drum template giving the full range, so it should work.

• I rarely find the 11 channels a limitation over the 32 steps. I usually use a scale that works for that section of music. The next 32 notes can be a different scale or whatever notes I want. I tend to just select a scale and then alter a few note values as needed.

The only time I seem to go above 7 notes mostly is when I’ve got a section that is linking two different scales.

I know we always by nature want more, but in my use scenarios, I’ve not needed more. Obviously many people will use it differently and probably push music way beyond my basic level :)

• @wim said:

I’m desperate for it.

I love Rozeta, but trying to use Bassline or Cells for sequences is not as precise or straightforward as I’d like. Great for quick fun jamming, but I also want to do more controlled stuff.

Ive never clicked with BM3 or Modstep, so those are out for me. Thesys is just silly.

I love using AUM, and AU’s are nice and easy to work with.

Until Bram creates an AU step sequencer it looks like SPA is the best tool for the job.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I rarely find the 11 channels a limitation over the 32 steps. I usually use a scale that works for that section of music. The next 32 notes can be a different scale or whatever notes I want. I tend to just select a scale and then alter a few note values as needed.

The only time I seem to go above 7 notes mostly is when I’ve got a section that is linking two different scales.

I know we always by nature want more, but in my use scenarios, I’ve not needed more. Obviously many people will use it differently and probably push music way beyond my basic level :)

Yeah I’m sure it’d work fine for me as it is, but it’s frustrating to know it has limitations before I dive in.

@Dawdles said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Dawdles said:

@MonzoPro said:

Thanks. Just had another reply which says there’s a drum template giving the full range, so it should work.

Sweet, Ill check that out, wonder if it let's you go up/down in octaves? Really need to dig further in to this app...too little time so far :(

Not sure, good to know it’s got the full range at least though.

Seems a shame they haven’t added more lanes, in the screens I’ve seen there’s plenty of room.

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.