Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Category?

13»

Comments

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@u0421793 said:

We did. We just didn’t want to share the profits ;)

Was it released as 'The Clam Fisted F**k£rs'

:D :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@u0421793 said:

We did. We just didn’t want to share the profits ;)

Was it released as 'The Clam Fisted F**k£rs'

:D :D

This could get risky lol

• I have some small experience in working with groups of people (even musicians, the worst, frankly)) and I have to say I have never encountered a more collegial and good hearted crowd than I find here. And a lot of compassionate brainpower, too. Perhaps this is the spirit Imbued by Audiob.us' creator. Whatever it is it is something special and I feel super about being a very small part of it. So thank you all.

When I started this thread I didn't stop to consider (as I have not done so often in my life) that what I was suggesting might be a hell of a lot more complicated than putting a new category header in place, attaching two wires sticking out of the search engine box, attaching it to the two wires coming out of the category box and watching the grass grow. I certainly did not intend for people to be put to a lot of effort into creating something significant from the very start as members are suggesting. But, at this point the concept of some body of knowledge for the beginner in all of us seems more possible than when I made the original post and I yield to much wiser heads. I support any decision the group makes and is willing to implement.

I would like to see the category remain a part of the forum. A little selfishly because it would reflect a very small contribution I have in part made for all the terrific information and fascinating and fun things I have read here, and also for some of the rich personalities to be encountered.

Much more importantly I think I am representative of a very large group of musically minded people who are discovering iOS at this time. Its point of evolution, start to finish capability, affordability, portability, small footprint and general gollygeewhizbang fun factor of its overall design all suggest to me that there will be a significant bump in global devotees. I don't think anyone here would argue that Audiob.us is the best run and populated public forum when it comes to iOS.
    So it seems reasonable to me that a special helping hand for beginners should appear here. I certainly have discovered personally that novices and their questions are implicitly welcomed by the members. I guess I am suggesting something a little more explicit that perhaps demonstrates the wonderful come one come all, no question is too small attitude of this forum.

Much of my attitude of a beginner (and the value of beginners) comes from a zen master by the name of Shunryu Suzuki. Though another Suzuki (D.T. Suzuki) brought zen to the US, Shunryu really got the thing rolling in the 60s with his creation of the zen center in San Franciso. He is very well known by people interested in zen as a humble, patient teacher with a marvelous lust for life ( while he was alive, anyway) Once he almost drowned in a river during a picnic outing. Returning, dripping from his experience, he laughingly observed " I have to spend a lot more time on my zafu (meditation cushion). I didn't realize how attached I was to breathing!"

Well, he was a great guy and one of the things he said was: To the beginner the possibilities are many. To the expert the possibilities are few." From his book "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind"

Even though there are many experts here they seem to embrace that concept of "beginners mind" very well. I appreciate that!

• Text can be a confusing media to use for communication leading to misunderstandings.

INTENDED_HUMOR_ON

I prefer yelling directly on street corners at passersby. So, I going to use inline "Contextual Intent Labels" since we still don't have color coding for humor.

Thanks Siri, Alexa, HAL, Bill Gates, Obama!

INTENTED_HUMOR_OFF

SERIOUS_COMMENT_ON

That's a great quote: "To the beginner the possibilities are many. To the expert the possibilities are few."

SERIOUS_COMMENT_OFF

INTENDED_HUMOR_ON

It's those limitless possibilities that makes most beginners just quit. Otherwise, fooling around feels just like work.

But I'm an expert in quitting so I'd advise any beginner that quitting becomes addictive and produces few results. I've been
    quitting for over 60 years and I have nothing to show for it except
    a lot of "Dummies Guide to -------". The faster you quit the more these things accumulate. I donate them to the library. They sell them to people just like me. There's an economy totally based on passing these tools around between habitual quitters.

The best reason to keep beginners close is that they'll slip you a clue when nobody likes you. Just my experience. They don't know that most people really hate being told their wrong or stupid.

So, surround yourself with beginners. They usually pick up the bar tab just to enjoy your company. I wish.

And, there's no such thing as a stupid question just stupid answers: "RTFM" for example. Who reads manuals? I tried but I had to quit because I can just ask here and save a lot of time wasted on "learning" useless extra shit. I used this philosophy to avoid learning to type for over 50 years. Two fingers get the job done just fine "thsnk ypu". Failing eyesight creates new challenges but color coding my typos seems to help if I bother to look for colors. I can type all day and never look at the screen so.

I'm going to leave INTENDED_HUMOR_ON in this thread so someone else can close it to tell if I'm being a flaming asshole (again). Probably some newbie, right?

• Just wanted to chime in and say I'm pondering the options and how I might go about implementing this (excellent) idea. Currently trying to get out AB 3.1, so that's my focus right now, but I'm gonna come back to this.

• Thanks, Michael! I figured it was time for me to shut up about this as there was no further forward movement, but am very glad you are interested ( but sorry to create more work for you!)
    In pursuing the idea.

I just asked the most basic question about insert and send effects on the general forum. I searched for the answer first but nothing appropriate came up. So, I asked and am sure I will get some good information back, but other beginners will have the same question six months from now... . I have also asked several questions about Cubasis in the forum and via PM. So much effort and time goes into writing these excellent responses I truly think they deserve to be preserved where all can see or search for them!

I also hope you will keep the category on this forum. I have tried the Steinberg forum, for example and there is no comparison!
    I have also tried other hardware related forums. Michael, there is something special about this community which you realize, I am sure. A wonderful comraderie and generosity of spirit ( and very little negativity!). In seeking answers to my iOS beginner's questions I have also discovered the decorous personalities and broad knowledge base of Audiob.us members. Something valuable far beyond the basics. If this were a standalone wiki something I would have less opportunity to serendipitously find Audiob.us. (Unless there was a link.. But still, why would I go if all my questions were answered in a place apart from the forum?).

I understand iOS music production is just a small part of the app world, but in a world of billions a small slice is still many millions globally. The brilliance of many iOS music developers and savvy of its adherents (as in evidence here) can bring affordable, compact, user friendly ( why does that term sound so old?) and satisfying music production to every corner of the globe. And while a desktop set up of Kontact with its incredible instrument collection (as one example only) is dimensionally different (as I have learned on this forum) than iOS at the present moment, there is every possibility that iOS will get closer and closer to this level... Especially when I have perfected my bio-org heat absorbing, energy recycling sludge that can be spread on the back of any iPad like peanut butter on whole wheat, thus overcoming the ever present and difficult to solve heat dissipation argument... Which seems to be the only real argument (IMO) why iOS cannot reach, integrate with or supplant desktop as the music production avenue of choice for the musically inclined masses. Fostering this forum, IMO, will serve that benevolent purpose, and its capability as a force for change will only increase if it becomes a true knowledge base that particularly embraces and celebrates the basic needs of those just starting out on this magical journey! Thus ends my argument for why WIHSH.

As long as I have your ear, Michael... I would value your take on the differences between AB and Aum and why so many have found using both together a valuable combination. I suspect as AB has and continues to develop, however, that the synergy between the two will be less and less. Thanks again for your time, support and patience.