Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Category?

I would like to open a discussion for a new category on Audiobus:
ios For Beginners (or some such). As a beginner it would be helpful to me (and perhaps less annoying to veterans) and maybe other beginners to have a forum to ask all those basic questions that confront a neophyte. For example, I was just watching a Steinberg tutorial on Cubasis. He casually mentions "freezing" and moves on. Now I know freezing can save CPU but that's about it. So I know people are very kind here and the experienced would offer me an explanation in the general forum or if I started a new thread, but these basics don't really seem to sit well in these positions and, imo, are a distraction from the tenor of the general forum and really not worthy of a thread.

However, a beginners' category would allow us newbies to go to a single location to ask, gather, and maybe even contribute information that is old news to the general population. Of course some experienced members would have to be willing to mentor us. I cannot speak for them, so I ask them to weigh in on this suggestion.

So, what do you think?

Comments

• Great idea.

• @Michael is the boss

In the meantime, 'freezing' is a common feature of many programs like Cubasis - it saves your processor having to make the audio each time you press play, by doing it once and saving it as a sound file. When you play a frozen track, you're simply playing a recording. Of course, you can unfreeze, change your settings and then freeze again to your heart's content.

• Magnificent idea

• Yeah think it’s a sound idea :)

• Thumbs up.

• I think one would be surprised by how many experienced users here would be happy to hear the answer to what’s perceived to be a “beginner” question.
    The world of iOS music making can be an arcane environment to navigate to someone who has had little or no previous experience.
    I’ve been at this a few years and am slowly becoming more intuitive but the landscape is always evolving and I’ll get stumped more than I like. I try to find answers on my own before impulsively asking but sometimes.....
    So anyway, good idea!

• I think it just divides the people with the answers from the people asking the questions personally. Plus as Ben said, sometimes you learn new things even if you are a know it all. :)

• But it would just be a category, would it not? Same as general or off topic. I don’t find myself avoiding a category if the heading is something I’m interested in or can help with.

• I could use such a place. Great idea!

• I think the Apps Tips and Tricks section seems like it should cover this territory. Just because you’re new to iOS doesn’t mean you’re new to music and has been pointed out you might learn more about an app or something about music even if you’re not new to iOS.

• Most comments so far are positive, but I can understand why not everyone would see a new category as a benefit to all.
    My thoughts, per force, are with the beginner's attitude. Though I can be an assertive person, I still feel shy or reluctant to ask basic questions. Also, though it is a pleasure to read dozens of threads on the forum, the answers to all my questions are few and far between. I stumble on information pertinent to my uninformed status now and then. Lots of answers to my questions may have been addressed but are lost in the past.

A beginners category would assemble all this info in one place, and to read posts two or three years ago would be of interest to the novice, especially if he or she felt those questions and answers were of direct interest. So questions would not need to be asked again and again as the months fly by. Of course the category would be available to anyone who might find it of interest, whether to review their own knowledge or to "stumble" onto something that might fill a gap in an otherwise comprehensive understanding.

I guess my strongest point would be the information would all be in one place and grow over time.

So please let us continue to explore this possibility. I can see there are thousands of people pay attention to this forum as a place to share and learn. I wonder how many are beginners (sometimes like myself) who are reluctant or embarrassed to ask what might seem a silly question (we know, of course, that there are no such questions.... but still).
    Thanks for joining the discussion!

• @LinearLineman said: „I guess my strongest point would be the information would all be in one place and grow over time.“

I second this. There have been a few things I stopped responding to, because I had described (my personal) solutions before two or three times, while, when searching for an information from a while ago, I always had difficulties finding it. To have these things in a special category wouldn‘t mean they‘re not discoverable for „wise guys“ trying to learn a little, anyways (I always look at ALL categories, when coming here, for example).
    Thus: good idea!

• Gets my vote

• I support this proposal. I would be in this new category daily, trying to help disseminate information. I am sure there are a few others who would be there with me on a daily basis.

Until the new category arrives (if it ever does), I strongly recommend that any person who has any question at all just post to the regular forum sections, like General or Tips and Tricks. I will try to help get you sorted.

If you are a silent observer of the forum, possibly too shy or embarrassed to post a seemingly simple question, feel free to PM me the question. I just want to help people get some music made, so don’t let the technology stand in the way. Get your answers and get back to creating.

But, new people, consider posting your question in the forum, as many others may benefit from the exchange of information you start with your questions. And if someone gives you attitude, don’t let a single jerk’s comment derail you. They once knew very little, just like the rest of us. B)

• You could always start a 'Newbie Questions' thread

• @AndyPlankton said:
    You could always start a 'Newbie Questions' thread

That’s what I was thinking too.

• @Tarekith said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    You could always start a 'Newbie Questions' thread

That’s what I was thinking too.

Ah but wouldn’t it be endless and so hard to search? If it were a topic, a beginner could pull all the beginner posts to see if their question had been covered as opposed to trying to find it on page 6 of a 10 page thread.

• @Tarekith said:
    I think it just divides the people with the answers from the people asking the questions personally. Plus as Ben said, sometimes you learn new things even if you are a know it all. :)

Bingo. Better that we foster an environment where those in doubt feel comfortable asking.

• Golly (Damn!)!! CP you are awesome! Thanks for endorsing this. If anybody helps out more on this forum their name might be Samu or Andy Plankton, but you are hard to catch! ( we are fortunate enough to have quite a few others others, of course!).

I think Syrupcore said it better than I ever could "Better we foster an environment where those in doubt feel comfortable asking." Like I could ask: How do you copy and paste on an iPad and not feel embarrassed!

It feels like there's a little bit of traction going here. Let's see what happens next! Thanks, guys, for your input.

• @syrupcore said:

@Tarekith said:
    I think it just divides the people with the answers from the people asking the questions personally. Plus as Ben said, sometimes you learn new things even if you are a know it all. :)

Bingo. Better that we foster an environment where those in doubt feel comfortable asking.

I try to do that every time I ride the bus. B)

But on the other topic of an archive of basic tips, tutorials, general iOS info for beginners, etc. , I think it would be a worthwhile effort. We all know the search box ain’t the greatest, after all.

• I can definitely see merit in the idea of separating more advanced concepts from more basic ones... As a total novice it can be hard to sort through posts to find ones that are helpful. Maybe call it "Basics"? "iOS Basics"?

• @Michael said:
    I can definitely see merit in the idea of separating more advanced concepts from more basic ones... As a total novice it can be hard to sort through posts to find ones that are helpful. Maybe call it "Basics"? "iOS Basics"?

But just like the OP mentioned, unless someone is intentionally writing for newcomers (and is good at it and has the time to be good at it when answering a random question) things like assuming everyone knows what track freeze is all about will still be regular.

A curated list of getting started posts though? I'm in to help there.

It's not that I'm against a basics forum (I just view all as I imagine most do) I'm just not convinced of its value.

• I don't think it matters where stuff is put, or how it is arranged, it will not be easily found. In fact arranging stuff can actually make it harder to find.

I think for a beginners section to work it would have to be managed as it would quickly become just like any other part of the forum and just a messy and just as difficult to find what you want. It is the nature of forums and their free form, unregulated (largely) posting.
    I think a Wiki section would be best suited for this type of organised information. Take the 'Track Freeze' scenario....being able to add a citation to an existing explanation of what track freeze is would be really helpful.

@LinearLineman I don't mind receiving PM if you have specific questions...I admit to being a first page kinda guy...if it's not on the first page I won't generally see it unless tagged.

• OK, Andy, I cannot disagree with an opinion that is based on a lot of personal experience such as you have. What is a Wiki section? Are you saying you would consider adding something like this to the forum?

• edited May 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    OK, Andy, I cannot disagree with an opinion that is based on a lot of personal experience such as you have.

:D You are able to disagree with whatever you like, I can, and often do :)
    I agree that a section that is easily navigated, has useful information gathered over time, and presented in an organised and meaningful way, that can be understood and useful to all levels of expertise would be a VERY GOOD thing and applaud you for raising it and suggesting a fix :)

BUT, it can be a lot of work, it would need someone to dedicate a lot of time to it. If you think of a library, where everyone can put books on any shelf they like (just like a forum)...it soon becomes impossible for anyone to find what they need. It needs someone to put the books back in the place where they should be in order for them to be most easily found.
    I guess what i am saying is that somewhere that has 'places' for things and those things are not in those 'places'...is more misleading than somewhere that doesn't have those 'places' in the first place.

What is a Wiki section?

Wiki section....think Wikipedia.....decent search...articles organised in a menu structure with links (citations) to other relevant articles.

Are you saying you would consider adding something like this to the forum?

That's not down to me, I am a member just like you B) @Michael is the man for that ;)
    I would certainly contribute if it did exist though ;)

• Sections don’t really segregate stuff here for most people. I believe that most people just look at the forums generally which then shows everything under all section headers.

The real effect of section headers is it gives a person a better idea of the content of the thread if they are used. Having a beginners question section header of some kind would just give people a heads up of what type of post it was. This would help people to act appropriately and:

1. Not make overly complex reply’s or use too many abbreviations.
    2. Assume knowledge of relevant facts.
    3. Not act like a dick head know it all jackass :p
  • edited May 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Sections don’t really segregate stuff here for most people. I believe that most people just look at the forums generally which then shows everything under all section headers.

The real effect of section headers is it gives a person a better idea of the content of the thread if they are used. Having a beginners question section header of some kind would just give people a heads up of what type of post it was. This would help people to act appropriately and:

It also gives them a decision to make before they post, which might stop them ;)

NOOB in the title generally works for this.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Sections don’t really segregate stuff here for most people. I believe that most people just look at the forums generally which then shows everything under all section headers.

It also gives them a decision to make before they post, which might stop them ;)

TITS

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

TITS

That maybe needed a smiley to show my current state of idiocy while posting Andy ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

TITS

That in the title will almost guarantee views, from a high percentage of the males anyway