Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS Mastering Options Comparison

Comments

• A maximizer is just a limiter, @tja. Normalizing is another thing.

• @theconnactic said:
    A maximizer is just a limiter, @tja. Normalizing is another thing.

If you are saying, that a maximizer is a limiter and a limiter is a maximizer and that both terms are used for the same thing, I cannot say that I am of the same opinion :)

And that normalizing is something different, I did write. But yes, I also listed this as possible part of a Maximizer, without knowing exactly ;)

• edited May 2018

4 and 6 both fail completely for not keeping phase aligned - can't believe this is true.
    The others vary slightly, but the short (excerpt) version is of a rather specific type, so hard to decide which one to prefer without the source mix.

• @Telefunky said:
    4 and 6 both fail completely for not keeping phase aligned - can't believe this is true.
    The others vary slightly, but the short (excerpt) version is of a rather specific type, so hard to decide which one to prefer without the source mix.

Very interesting.
    Can you explain a bit more, what "keeping phase aligned" means?
    And where in the song I could hear that best?

I now read the spoiler, so know which is what .... hard to hold back on comments.

• Hey, mr. @tja: connactic is right: maximizing as we use for “loudness maximizing” is just a limiter with a threshold. It’s not a matter of opinion, like it’s not a matter of opinion 2+2=4.

@telefunky, spot on: 4 is squashed (not only loud but squashed) and sounds very bad, 6 sounds better but both mess with phase: that’s perhaps the voice in 4 sounds so wrong. 2, on the other hand, sound really great, and 5 as well. Listening on a pair of NS-10, though, with a KRK sub.

• edited May 2018

Where is this spoiler? Not seeing in in the OP.

EDIT: nevermind, found it.

• @chateauduvalier said:
    Hey, mr. @tja: connactic is right: maximizing as we use for “loudness maximizing” is just a limiter with a threshold. It’s not a matter of opinion, like it’s not a matter of opinion 2+2=4.

@telefunky, spot on: 4 is squashed (not only loud but squashed) and sounds very bad, 6 sounds better but both mess with phase: that’s perhaps the voice in 4 sounds so wrong. 2, on the other hand, sound really great, and 5 as well. Listening on a pair of NS-10, though, with a KRK sub.

You can use the word maximizing in this way, but a "Maximizer" is not just a "Limiter" and they are not the same.

But it is obvious that we have read different definitions. No reason to fight about :)

I tried to be as exactly as possible for me in the above listing of terms.

• @chateauduvalier said:
    Hey, mr. @tja: connactic is right: maximizing as we use for “loudness maximizing” is just a limiter with a threshold. It’s not a matter of opinion, like it’s not a matter of opinion 2+2=4.

Having read the spoiler, I think that the spoiler should have been deleted and only made public after 2 weeks or so.

:) ;) :) ;)

• Well, just found the spoiler, will refrain from further comments. ;)

• Interesting comparisons. Kind of hard to get too deep into things since they weren't all processed the same, but it seems like most people tended to prefer (or dislike) similar versions. Would love to do something similar here in my mastering studio, but not sure I want to shell out the cash for all the apps since I doubt I would use them beyond this.

• 2 is the best, really crisp and clean. Liked also 5 and 3 to minor extent.

• @Tarekith said:
    Interesting comparisons. Kind of hard to get too deep into things since they weren't all processed the same, but it seems like most people tended to prefer (or dislike) similar versions. Would love to do something similar here in my mastering studio, but not sure I want to shell out the cash for all the apps since I doubt I would use them beyond this.

Sad thing, but i can understand :)

But then, most of the Apps are just some euro - only Pro-L2 being more expensive and Lurssen ... I downloaded the App and just did not like it, but 2 days full functionality would also be only about 5 euro ...

• Maybe we should start from scratch, with a new song , now that we are getting the hang of this thang.........see if we get the same results........

• @Tarekith said:
    Interesting comparisons. Kind of hard to get too deep into things since they weren't all processed the same, but it seems like most people tended to prefer (or dislike) similar versions. Would love to do something similar here in my mastering studio, but not sure I want to shell out the cash for all the apps since I doubt I would use them beyond this.

That would be really useful........i was thinking that maybe you were the one to take this on..............

• @Tarekith said:

Indeed Maxima version provided in first post was 6dB boost in AUM -> -18dB thresholds!! Squashyyyy indeed! So for sure compared to the other lounder but not good.

I ve just fired a test and my settings was: yes avoiding gain for sure and then threshold from -10dB to -14db to taste (more -10 dB) - Preset La donna.

• @Tarekith said:

Ahhhhhh, you little....... :D B) ;)

http://innerportalstudio.com/ios-mastering-apps-comparison/

• edited May 2018

@FredAntonCorvest were all 6 apps run parallel in AUM ?
    In that case the 'wobbling' of the stereo image I perceived (in Maxima and Grand Finale) may have it's reason outside the (mastering) app.
    As mentioned I can hardly believe this would have slipped through your own tests.
    @tja I hope this answers your question from above.

• It seems to me that the standalone apps should start to focus on being able to work on multiple tracks. Like the way you can work on multiple tracks in a daw for a cohesive album.

• @tja said:

@Tarekith said:

Sad thing, but i can understand :)

But then, most of the Apps are just some euro - only Pro-L2 being more expensive and Lurssen ... I downloaded the App and just did not like it, but 2 days full functionality would also be only about 5 euro ...

Let me look into it some more this week, maybe if it’s not too much cash out of pocket for me I can put something together to put a few apps head to head in a more controlled setting.

• @richardyot @FredAntonCorvest

Oh yes, number 4 is now MUCH better than before!

So, some deeper knowledge of the Apps seems to help get them right.

And however we continue on this, I would beg to NOT give spoilers at all!
    The human mind is so easily manipulated, only true ABX can help here!

The resolution should only be given WAY later.

• @Telefunky said:

The source mix is available for download at the start of the thread, in the second post.

• @FredAntonCorvest said:

@Tarekith said:

Indeed Maxima version provided in first post was 6dB boost in AUM -> -18dB thresholds!! Squashyyyy indeed! So for sure compared to the other lounder but not good.

I ve just fired a test and my settings was: yes avoiding gain for sure and then threshold from -10dB to -14db to taste (more -10 dB) - Preset La donna.

Interesting!

• edited May 2018

Thanks for the interesting discussion. A couple of notes:

it's pretty tricky to get exactly the same processing from each app because they all have different controls, the only thing I really wanted to test was the limiting, so all other options were turned off where possible. In most apps you can disable the modules you are not using (EQ, stereo imaging etc) so this is what I did.

Initially I wanted to try and approach this in a numerically controlled manner, and just add 10db of gain to each app, but this gave widely different results, for example adding +10db of gain in Pro L2 does not give the same result as adding +10db of gain in Final Touch. So in the end I had to try and match the waveforms as best I could, but since each app processes things differently this is not really possible - especially since many of these apps take the "black box" approach and hide controls from the user, so we don't really know what they are doing under the hood.

But knowing that the results are not going to be a perfect match doesn't stop us being able to compare results. I wanted to listen out for distortion particularly, but you can also hear if transients have been altered, and also how the limiter is working in relation to the track.

Finally about sample number 4: this one didn't have any gain control, so I added the gain going in to the channel in AUM and then used the preset recommended by the developer. This resulted in way too much compression, sorry that was user error on my part. The reason this caught me out though is because I think of a limiter or maximiser as having a gain control and a brick wall approach (hard knee set to 0db) which only processes the signal that goes above the clipping threshold, but this particular option works more like a compressor with a lower threshold setting, meaning it affects the audio more like a bus compressor than a brick wall limiter, hence the audible pumping.

I redid sample 4 after speaking with Fred, this time I removed the input gain and tried various threshold settings between -10 and -14. I settled on around -13 as the best match to the other waveforms, but I still think this is acting more like a bus compressor than a brick wall limiter. Typically a brick wall limiter would not have a threshold control.

• In a brickwall limiter, when the threshold control appears (Izotope Ozone!), it’s exactly equivalent of the usual gain control (FabFilter Pro L and most others). So a threshold of, said, -13 db in Izotope Ozone is the same operation of dialing 13 db of gain in FabFilter Pro L, @richardyot!

• P.S.: did you replace 4? I’m still hearing some pumping...

• edited May 2018

@theconnactic said:
    In a brickwall limiter, when the threshold control appears (Izotope Ozone!), it’s exactly equivalent of the usual gain control (FabFilter Pro L and most others). So a threshold of, said, -13 db in Izotope Ozone is the same operation of dialing 13 db of gain in FabFilter Pro L, @richardyot!

OK thanks for the clarification. I can confirm though that dialing +10db of gain into Pro L2 and setting the threshold control in Maxima to -10db gives completely different results. I will post the waveforms and you can compare for yourself.

• @theconnactic said:
    P.S.: did you replace 4? I’m still hearing some pumping...

Yes I replaced 4. Like I say, I don't think it's acting like a brick wall limiter, more like a bus compressor. Maybe Fred can chime in and we can get to the bottom of this.

• Perhaps either because of the said differences between algorithms (Ozone and ProL will also give different results with same amounts but Ozone is def. a brickwall limiter) - or perhaps you are indeed right and Maxima is more a compressor than a limiter (the developer is watching and can answer if it’s the case).

• @richardyot said:

@theconnactic said:
    P.S.: did you replace 4? I’m still hearing some pumping...

Yes I replaced 4. Like I say, I don't think it's acting like a brick wall limiter, more like a bus compressor. Maybe Fred can chime in and we can get to the bottom of this.

You beat me to it!

• Here are the wavforms, so you can see that at -10db Maxima isn't adding as much gain as the others, so in the end I set the threshold to -13 for a closer match: