Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS Mastering Options Comparison

I've taken a little time to try and make a comparison between the various options we have on iOS for mastering, and I've put a track through 6 of them, with all options off except the limiting - this is to compare how much distortion each app creates when creating a loud-ish master.

The raw track will be made available if anyone wants to run their own test, and in my opinion a sensible master of this track would add around 5db of gain, however to really compare the different apps I've set the gain in the test to between 8db and 12db to push the limiters to their, er, limits and really see which apps are more transparent, especially when pushed hard.

When options to increase quality have been available, I've used them. So for example I used 16x oversampling in Pro L2 (my Air 2 couldn't manage 32x)

Ideally I would have liked to just increase the gain in each app by the same amount, say 10db, but when I tried doing that the results were wildly different, so instead I've had to try and adjust them by comparing the waveforms and trying to match them, but it's not possible to get an exact match between each app, because they all seem to do the processing differently to each other.

The track is meant to have some dynamic range, and ideally the limiting should only really kick in hard at the end, but one limiter in particular just squashed the hell out of everything no matter how I adjusted the gain, maybe I didn't figure that one out.

The apps and plugins used were, in alphabetical order: Audio Mastering, FabFilter Pro L2, FAC Maxima, Final Touch, Klevgr Grand Finale, Lurssen Mastering Console.

To begin with I will post this as a blind test, with the results posted separately. You can either listen to the full track or just a segment of the final chorus:

Sample 1

Sample 1 segment

Sample 2

Sample 2 segment

Sample 3

Sample 3 segment

Sample 4

Sample 4 segment

Sample 5

Sample 5 segment

Sample 6

Sample 6 segment

Comments

• The raw wave file is here:

link to unprocessed file

• edited May 2018

And the answers are in the spoiler, if you really want to judge in an unbiased way I recommend not checking until you've had a chance to listen and judge for yourself first.

1: Audio Mastering

2: Pro L 2

3: Final Touch

4: FAC Maxima

5: Lurssen

6: Grand Finale

• Notes taken for each one as i listened. Listened to 00.58 on all tracks. Presonus R65 monitors, RME Babyface audio interface, moderate volume........
    1) Sounds OK
    2) Better than 1, a bit Boomy though......
    3)A bit tame.
    4)Better than 1,2,&3, vocals not right somehow......
    5)More refined than all the others.

• edited May 2018

@Iso said:
    Notes taken for each one as i listened. Listened to 00.58 on all tracks. Presonus R65 monitors, RME Babyface audio interface, moderate volume........
    1) Sounds OK
    3)A bit tame.

Sorry I messed up the original post, there's actually 6 - it's fixed now. Also makes more sense to listen to the end of the song rather than the start, that's when the limiter is being pushed.

• @richardyot said:

@Iso said:
    Notes taken for each one as i listened. Listened to 00.58 on all tracks. Presonus R65 monitors, RME Babyface audio interface, moderate volume........
    1) Sounds OK
    3)A bit tame.

Sorry I messed up the original post, there's actually 6 - it's fixed now. Also makes more sense to listen to the end of the song rather than the start, that's when the limiter is being pushed.

6)!!!!!! Good kick drum, bit muddy..........
    Sorry but 00.58 is all i can manage! Not at all scientific i know......but first impressions are important.........

• @Iso said:

This is interesting BTW, because that's the one limiter I just couldn't control, it always seems to squash everything (probably because the threshold is set way lower than the others) so what you're hearing is that it sounds louder than the others, and there is audible pumping.

• @Iso said:

@richardyot said:

@Iso said:
    1) Sounds OK
    3)A bit tame.

Sorry but 00.58 is all i can manage! Not at all scientific i know......but first impressions are important.........

I'll also post short sections of the ending for each example, should make it easier to compare.

• edited May 2018

@richardyot said:

@Iso said:

@richardyot said:

@Iso said:
    1) Sounds OK
    3)A bit tame.

I'll also post short sections of the ending for each example, should make it easier to compare.

I've looked at the spoiler now.....hmmmm, interesting. Number 4 was doing great until the vocals came in........5 came out on top..........................
    Will be very interesting to see other peoples results.........

• You missed one maybe

• @BiancaNeve I've probably missed several :)

• OK I've added small segments to the original post to save having to listen to the full track each time.

• edited May 2018

@richardyot said:
    OK I've added small segments to the original post to save having to listen to the full track each time.

Have just listened to the segments, and my first observations are still good i think. (gets trickier the more times you hear a piece though ) i will refrain from discussing the results, in case it influences further testers........

• edited May 2018

2) very good, sounds very clean and 3) really bad, it somehow weakened the transients. All the others are ok.

• Ahhhhhh, great.

Stopped reading after the OP and will first hear all versions.

Many thanks already!!!

• when will publish what app you used for each?

• @tonytutone said:
    when will publish what app you used for each?

The third post in the thread has the answers, just tap on the spoiler.

• 2 and 5 sound the best to my ears. Next would be 1,3 and 6, which were all pretty consistent but not as clean to my ears, although 3 had more bass presence. Absolutely hated 4. Ugh.

• 2 and 5 - 2 really clean, 5 with a pleasant character. 4 not so good, 1,3 and 6 good but not as good as 2 and 5.

• OK, just writing down my thoughts:

Those looks realy like maximizing, not only limiting.

Optical impression from the look within AudioShare, from less to most maximized:

Original, of course.
    1. this is the same as 2, just a bit more limited

So, without hearing them at all, I would suspect 4. to be FAC Maxima.

I do not have Pro-L2 or Lurssen.

Now I am going to hear and play around with the Original

• "Maximizing" is just limiting, @tja... as you lower the threshold, you get a louder sound. :) and yes, I pretty clear 4 is the most squashed; that's why it sounds so bad. Which app is each number, @richardyot?

• @theconnactic said:
    "Maximizing" is just limiting, @tja... as you lower the threshold, you get a louder sound. :) and yes, I pretty clear 4 is the most squashed; that's why it sounds so bad. Which app is each number, @richardyot?

There is a spoiler at the beginning!

• OK so following a conversation with the developer, I've redone sample number 4 with some more appropriate settings, it should sound much closer to the others now.

• @BiancaNeve said:

You missed one maybe

What is this app called @BiancaNeve

• @richardyot said:
    OK so following a conversation with the developer, I've redone sample number 4 with some more appropriate settings, it should sound much closer to the others now.

OK.....I have reassessed with the new files.........same outcome for me......it's all highly subjective though,........ i'm not really sure if this test is of any use or not.......Maybe if we gave an iPad & all the apps to a top mastering engineer, and he/she used their normal monitoring environment to master your song maybe it might lead to an answer.............although if they were the best in the business, they could probably get a great result with a rusty old spanner.......... Mastering remains a bit of a dark art to me......i am never quite sure if i'm making it better or not.................If i was being paid to produce someone's album, i think i would farm the final process out to a pro................for my own home efforts.......well that's another story...........

• tjatja
    edited May 2018

@theconnactic said:
    "Maximizing" is just limiting, @tja... as you lower the threshold, you get a louder sound. :) and yes, I pretty clear 4 is the most squashed; that's why it sounds so bad. Which app is each number, @richardyot?

Uhm.
    Maximizing is also Limiting, but not necessarily the other way around.

I am sure no Master of Mastering questions, but I am very interested in this topic and was already reading lots of webpages.

From my actual stand of knowledge, what you wrote is actually the "Compressor part" of a Limiter, that makes things below the threshold louder.

The "Limiter part" of a Limiter just prevents clipping over a certain boundary.

And there are Limiters who only do real limiting, not compression.
    The Amazing Nouses Limiter allows for this modus.

Then there are "Normalizers", which scale up things without making some part louder in relation to another part.
    This is also possible with the Amazing Noises Limiter, or directly in Cubasis.

And a "Maximizer" does similar things as a Compressor, Limiter / Brickwall Limiter and maybe Normalizer together, but in a more complex way - also, as it seems, sometimes in a better way than a Compressor.

What we seem to see here is alot of compression and limiting, like in the middle of the Loudness Wars ;-)

But as as @richardyot wrote, it was difficult to find a right way to compare those Apps.

For a real application of a Limiter, I would probably use different settings - but for now, we can just compare our impression of the audio parts. But that may not be enough for a final judgement between those Apps!

Going to do so now.

• @djjuniorpops said:

@BiancaNeve said:

You missed one maybe

It was called Howie Weinberg Mastering App
    But it seems to have vanished even from my purchased apps

• @Iso said:

@richardyot said:
    OK so following a conversation with the developer, I've redone sample number 4 with some more appropriate settings, it should sound much closer to the others now.

OK.....I have reassessed with the new files.........same outcome for me......it's all highly subjective though,........ i'm not really sure if this test is of any use or not.......Maybe if we gave an iPad & all the apps to a top mastering engineer, and he/she used their normal monitoring environment to master your song maybe it might lead to an answer.............although if they were the best in the business, they could probably get a great result with a rusty old spanner.......... Mastering remains a bit of a dark art to me......i am never quite sure if i'm making it better or not.................If i was being paid to produce someone's album, i think i would farm the final process out to a pro................for my own home efforts.......well that's another story...........

I personally found the test useful, the only thing I really listened for was distortion (especially in the loud passages). I thought that some of the apps were much better than others in that regard, but I didn't want to influence anyone else by posting my opinions. YMMV of course. :)

• I thought they all sound pretty much the same. Except 1, which has a pronounced resonance which would start to fatigue after a while, 4 which sounds like it is behind a blanket, and 6 which sounds more pleasing than the rest.

• edited May 2018

@richardyot said:

@Iso said:

@richardyot said:

I personally found the test useful, the only thing I really listened for was distortion (especially in the loud passages). I thought that some of the apps were much better than others in that regard, but I didn't want to influence anyone else by posting my opinions. YMMV of course. :)

Don't get me wrong.........it's a really interesting thread, and a fascinating subject. At the end of the day though without years of experience, and a great set of ears, for us mere mortals, it's mainly guesswork. I try to do just enough processing on the Master bus for the finished track to sound full, not clipping, but also being loud enough without being slammed.to hell..........in other words, i try not to ruin it with the little knowledge i have!

• Comparing the 6 version was very difficult for me.

I mostly heared the beginning of of both the full and short versions, just to be able to switch faster between them.

But i noticed that I was possibly influenced by the look of the waveform, so I switched this off to be more sincer.

In summary, the start of short versions sounded very similar to me, for all 6 of them.

The beginning of the full versions was more easy to differentiate: Number 4 definitly is different than the others, it is louder than the others, which is not bad, but makes it difficult to compare. The only negative point is, that the voice seems dampend.

The other 5 Apps ... I really have problems to differentiate them.
    For, my old and bad ears, all 5 of them would be ok.

I am still not sure about number 4. It does sound better sometimes than the others, but again, this may be from being louder?!?