Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis .......is it just me ?

Comments

• Hi Lars,

Yes it is an iPad 3 with ios 9.3.5

• @Nickl said:
    Hi Lars,

Yes it is an iPad 3 with ios 9.3.5

Thanks!
    The issue will be evaluated.

Thanks,
    Lars

• I am on iPad Air 2 128GB iOS 11.2.6
    I wanted to record a few deep notes for a sound effect of distant giant footsteps.
    I found a nice preset in Moog Model D and recorded 8 bars. The CPU maxed out and the playback crackled.16 bit 41.1 kHz.

So I tried freezing using Ultra Low latency which was already set and the track extended to just under 17 bars but with many fewer notes than I had originally and with a horrible metallic sound and distortion!

I undid the freeze, changed to Medium latency and retried the freeze and this time the track extended to nearly 18 bars again with not all notes included and the horrible sound.

I can’t believe trying to record a simple short 8 bar clip would cause so many problems!

• Its weird how it’s happening to others and not some. Wonder if it has to do with settings on iPad and or on Cubasis.

• @AlterEgo_UK said:

I can’t believe trying to record a simple short 8 bar clip would cause so many problems!

Try 96K normal latency until the Cubasis 2.4.1 update is out...
    (Works for me every time. It's always possible to change the sample-rate back to 44.1/48 and Cubasis will re-sample the recorded audio).

• Yes, the Ultra Low Latency seems not to be a good idea.

I had much better results with Normal Latency!

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Its weird how it’s happening to others and not some. Wonder if it has to do with settings on iPad and or on Cubasis.

Depends a bit on which AUv3's are used.
    Model D and Model 15 are causing some of the issues at the moment since they are pretty heavy on the CPU.

Cubasis 2.4 also implemented a new way to deal with plug-ins and that in combination with the various iOS releases created a small mess, but I have faith it will be sorted out...

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    @LFS I am unable to get Drumjam to sync with Cubasis. Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong?

Try this:

Load DJ in Cubasis as IAA. Make sure Cubasis is sending Midi clock. In DJ options, in the Midi section for Input Connections, turn on Clock Input for Cubasis.

• @CracklePot said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    @LFS I am unable to get Drumjam to sync with Cubasis. Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong?

Try this:

Load DJ in Cubasis as IAA. Make sure Cubasis is sending Midi clock. In DJ options, in the Midi section for Input Connections, turn on Clock Input for Cubasis.

That's the setup I had last night but no luck. Tonight I will restart and try again. Thanks!

• @Samu said:

@AlterEgo_UK said:

(Works for me every time. It's always possible to change the sample-rate back to 44.1/48 and Cubasis will re-sample the recorded audio).

Thanks @Samu I ended up switching to using Model D as IAA and then it worked fine regarding CPU and playback - even with added Thumbjam (via Audiobus) and a Cubasis Rock Kit.

• And don't forget that Apps like Model 15 and D may require the next compatibility option in mixdown!

• @AlterEgo_UK said:

@Samu said:

@AlterEgo_UK said:

Thanks @Samu I ended up switching to using Model D as IAA and then it worked fine regarding CPU and playback - even with added Thumbjam (via Audiobus) and a Cubasis Rock Kit.

Odd. Switching to IAA made no difference for me. But then I could have had some frozen tracks in there at the time.

Oh well, I'm not giving any more mind share to this. @LFS is on the case and I can afford to wait until it gets sorted.

• Hi all,

FYI, Cubasis 2.1.4 and Cubasis LE 2.1.4 have reached release candidate status and are planned to be publicly released soon. The updates will address track freeze/mixdown of resource intensive AU instruments, the current iOS 9.3.5 compatibility issues alongside other improvements.

Best,
    Lars

• Cheers to the Cubasis Dev team!!!!

The best! <3

• Great news, thanks!

Until iOS 11.3.1 or 11.4 comes out, as usual :D

• Great news @LFS :smiley:
    Thanks to the team!

• LFSLFS
    edited April 2018

In case you've missed the announcement, Cubasis 2.4.1 is available for download, and addresses the track freeze/mixdown issue among providing other improvements.

Cubasis 2.4.1 supplemental update available

Best,
    Lars

• Is it somehow possible to split view a midi plugin and an instrument of the same channel?

• @Crabman said:
    Is it somehow possible to split view a midi plugin and an instrument of the same channel?

It's no can do at the moment in Cubasis.
    The only apps I know that can do it are AUM and apeMatrix.

• Would be a very welcome addition me thinks.

• Having strange issue with mic recording. Track will not allow monitor icon to function. But make second audio track and icon works. Problem then that AD Channel Strip does not show input! Same process work in AuriaPro.

• @Crabman said:
    Would be a very welcome addition me thinks.

Agreed, don't really know what @LFS and his team are cooking for the next Cubasis update.
    I'd love to see the Cubase Sampler Track and better File/Folder Management in the next update...

It's been long since Cubasis has added any new Feature IAPs so I think it's about time for the next update! :)

• edited August 2019

I would like to see a simple on/off button for the AU instruments as well,to save juice if they are currently not needed

• @Crabman said:
    I would like to see a simple on/off button for the AU instruments as well,to save juice if they are currently not needed

Hi Crabman,

That's where "track freeze" is for normally.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

Does the AUv3 get properly 'unloaded' after freezing a track since I've seldom noticed any reduction in CPU usage after freezing a track so I end up removing the 'source track' after freezing it...

Or is that what you mean by 'normally' but not on iOS?

• I am experiencing weird things Freezing things. Loops get longer and crackle...

• LFSLFS
    edited August 2019

@Elvisthenrodent said:
    I am experiencing weird things Freezing things. Loops get longer and crackle...

Did receive your private message and replied already!
    Below please find my answers again.

Best,
    Lars

@Elvisthenrodent said:
    For example, i run the classic eight in one track. Only a kick, when i freeze a) the loop gets longer than the 4 bars it was originally.

With the release of Cubasis 2.8, you're able to set Track Freeze to your liking.

1) Please go to SETUP/Mixdown / Share
    2) Here tap the "Settings" button in the "Track Freeze Uses Mixdown Settings"
    3) In the "Mixdown" pop-up make sure to enable "Mixdown between locators" plus "Apply mixdown settings to track freeze"

Afterwards, set the L+R locator to match the event you plan to freeze (quick tip: long tap on the event will do this automatically).
    And hit the freeze button...

@Elvisthenrodent said:
    Had crackles when freezing with ruismaker noir as well...

Track freeze should work fine with most instruments, especially with Ruismaker.
    Please drop Bram a short message to ask him if he experienced issues with Cubasis in this regard.

Also, could the issue be related to other 3rd party instruments/plug-ins you have in use (unrelated to Cubasis)?

If you experience problems to use track freeze with specific AU instruments, please give "Real-time Mixdown and Freeze" and the "Audio Unit Mixdown Compatibility Mode" options located under SETUP/Mixdown / Share a try.

• @LFS said:

@Crabman said:

Hi Crabman,

Best wishes,
    Lars

Hi Lars,thanks for your quick answer.
    Well,freezing is not quite the same and i never really trusted this function,no matter the platform and DAW. Also,it's like "mit Kanonen auf Spatzen schiessen" ;) (sorry,hard to translate this sentence).
    I can imagine this would not be top priority but on the other hand i don't think it's rocket science to implement.

• @Crabman said:

@LFS said:

@Crabman said:

Hi Crabman,

Best wishes,
    Lars

Hi Lars,thanks for your quick answer.
    Well,freezing is not quite the same and i never really trusted this function,no matter the platform and DAW. Also,it's like "mit Kanonen auf Spatzen schiessen" ;) (sorry,hard to translate this sentence).
    I can imagine this would not be top priority but on the other hand i don't think it's rocket science to implement.

I don’t think it’s that simple. AUM used to stop processing AUv3 when they were disabled but it was changed to only mute them as it caused problems. From what I can recall there is an option in plugins that you should be able to tell them to stop processing but this is not widely (or even not at all) implemented.

• edited August 2019

But in Cubasis it's already there as well,only for Midi and FX though.i'm obviously not an expert so i don't know if it makes such a big difference to instruments.Need to check Auria if it's the same there.

Have to say i'm quite pleased how Cubasis (and generally AUv3) developed the last one and a half year.End of 2017 i stopped making music on ipad almost completely (only used it as an external effect prozessor until it finally died last autumn) because i was frustrated about neverending small bugs and workflow stopper (cause my 3 favorite DAW apps were all good in something different but none mastered everything well and i was tired of bouncing,copying&recording back and forth.so i went back to Mac and Logic and even Hardware only for a while).

I'm just exploring all the"new"goodies (love midi plugins) and it all runs pretty good and so far tight (finally!) and stable.

The CPU meter is behaving a little weird though.I assume this is related to(different?)"low power mode"of newer ipads?Because on my old Air 2 it was more accurate.

So,thanks @LFS and Steinberg for continuously pushing it forward.I also like the Micro Arp although i wish it had more than 16 steps.Thats very Techno :)

Another one for the list: switch between normal and small (like half the width )mixer channels would be handy in bigger projects.Similar to Logic or Cubase (of course)
    Oh,and definitely more insert slots for the master.And Group channels ;)