Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplist goes universal

Comments

• Well initially you could trigger like that but people are asking for pads.

It’s easier to trigger pads for slices. If you connect a midi keyboard you can trigger each slice with the keys.

• @alecsbuga said:
    Well initially you could trigger like that but people are asking for pads.

It’s easier to trigger pads for slices. If you connect a midi keyboard you can trigger each slice with the keys.

Yes pads are great and yours have velocity I ask for that too it’s better for slice! Keyboard is nice for melodic instruments your app already have one and also timestretch/slice tempo so it’s already versatile enough. Adding sample per key could be interesting but is suppose it will be too far enough from initial slicer project.

• edited April 2018

Save preset function seems to don’t work properly. It saves slice and controls but not timestretch switch and slice tempo slider, and when call back preset sound is well saved but knobs are in default position. Also when I exit samplist and load a preset slices and controls are lost, preset is as default.

• @Janosax said:
    Save preset function seems to don’t work properly. It saves slice and controls but not timestretch switch and slice tempo slider, and when call back preset sound is well saved but knobs are in default position. Also when I exit samplist and load a preset slices and controls are lost, preset is as default.

Works on my end. I've actually tested this a lot.
    Go to the files app and and open the Samplist folder. There should be a .JSON file with the same name as your sample. If it's not then it probably didn't saved it.

Send me a PM with your details. Device, iOS version, and attach the sample also please. Thanks

• How about Save Preset As? Then you could have multiple presets for the same sample without having to import the sample every time.

• @anickt said:
    How about Save Preset As? Then you could have multiple presets for the same sample without having to import the sample every time.

I have this on my list ;)

• @alecsbuga said:

@anickt said:
    How about Save Preset As? Then you could have multiple presets for the same sample without having to import the sample every time.

I have this on my list ;)

B)

• Is there a way to fine tune settings? For example, I spent 15 minutes going back and forth trying to simply set the tempo to 120 bpm.

• Samplist 1.3.8 is waiting for review. Here's what's new

• Bigger pads on iPhone. You now have 8 big pads on the iPhone instead of 16 small ones. But don't worry, you can still page through them and have access to all 64
    • Fixed lost sound when receiving a call or notification and going back to Samplist.
    • Now when you trim a slice to a new sample, it retains the file's original name. Ex: "Beat-Slice-1.wav" instead of "Slice-1.wav"
    • Fixed tempo calculation when using sample rates different than 44100.
    • Various bug fixes & improvements.

@Audiojunkie not at the moment. It's bugging me too. Some stuff you just discover while playing a lot with the app :) For instance, since on the iPhone the display & controls are 2 separate screens and you can't see the tempo value while adjusting it. It's on my list along with double tap to reset.

• My only question is what is next ................updates or new app!

• @RUST( i )K said:
    My only question is what is next ................updates or new app!

Not sure what you mean :)
    But I'm working on a step sequencer for Samplist, and maybe THEN focus on a new app idea.

I've learned a lot about the Apple Audio Engine and I have some cool ideas

• @alecsbuga said:

But I'm working on a step sequencer for Samplist, and maybe THEN focus on a new app idea.

Well this gives me an idea, what about a 'rex-hybrid'.
    ie. chromatically play a re-arranged 'slice-sequence'?
    (In practice it would trigger the slices in the sequenced order but also send 'transpose info' to each slice).

I was late to the game and got Samplist when it went on sale...

• edited April 2018

@alecsbuga said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    My only question is what is next ................updates or new app!

Not sure what you mean :)

I've learned a lot about the Apple Audio Engine and I have some cool ideas

You could be a hero and solve the "what do we do about Samplr" issue that causes so much angst here. ;)

And thanks for the 8 pads on iPhone; solves the major problem I had with iPhone use to this point.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

You could be a hero and solve the "what do we do about Samplr" issue that causes so much angst here. ;)

Most definitely.

• @fprintf said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Most definitely.

Well, isn't Tardigrain covering that area?

I miss Samplr too. It's not THAT hard to do. Bug again... AUv3 is a major setback for developers like me.

• @alecsbuga said:
    I miss Samplr too. It's not THAT hard to do. Bug again... AUv3 is a major setback for developers like me.

I'm probably in the minority but I've moved around Samplr by using other apps that do similar things. As elegant as Samplr's one screen approach? Nope. But I can deal with it.

• @alecsbuga really like your style of UI design. With your design skills and a more powerful app (i.e. Step sequencer and multiple tracks) you'd probably dominate the sampler market rather quickly.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    @alecsbuga really like your style of UI design. With your design skills and a more powerful app (i.e. Step sequencer and multiple tracks) you'd probably dominate the sampler market rather quickly.

Thanks. I appreciate it

• @alecsbuga said:
    Samplist 1.3.8 is waiting for review. Here's what's new

• Bigger pads on iPhone. You now have 8 big pads on the iPhone instead of 16 small ones. But don't worry, you can still page through them and have access to all 64
    • Fixed lost sound when receiving a call or notification and going back to Samplist.
    • Now when you trim a slice to a new sample, it retains the file's original name. Ex: "Beat-Slice-1.wav" instead of "Slice-1.wav"
    • Fixed tempo calculation when using sample rates different than 44100.
    • Various bug fixes & improvements.

@Audiojunkie not at the moment. It's bugging me too. Some stuff you just discover while playing a lot with the app :) For instance, since on the iPhone the display & controls are 2 separate screens and you can't see the tempo value while adjusting it. It's on my list along with double tap to reset.

Cool! Thanks for responding! I agree, both would be very nice additions! :smile:

• edited April 2018

I agree that a real Dr Rex/Octorex feature is a must have, with a step sequencer or piano roll, per slice pitch, reverse, etc accessible though step editor, multi pattern raw of buttons and even possibility to trigger those ones by midi... and have we asked for AUV3 support?? :smiley:

@alecsbuga I will send you pm about my saving issue this evening.

• By the way, @alecsbuga what is the maximum sample length allowed in the synth when playing a sample chromatically? I guess I could just experiment to find out, but I'm wondering if there are any hard set limits. For example, can I chromatically play a 30 second pad or drone?

• @Audiojunkie said:
    By the way, @alecsbuga what is the maximum sample length allowed in the synth when playing a sample chromatically? I guess I could just experiment to find out, but I'm wondering if there are any hard set limits. For example, can I chromatically play a 30 second pad or drone?

Should work. I haven’t set hard limits.

• @alecsbuga said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    By the way, @alecsbuga what is the maximum sample length allowed in the synth when playing a sample chromatically? I guess I could just experiment to find out, but I'm wondering if there are any hard set limits. For example, can I chromatically play a 30 second pad or drone?

Should work. I haven’t set hard limits.

Excellent!!!

• So the update is live. Grab your bigger pads :)

• Great work. Thx much!

• @aaronpc said:
    Great work. Thx much!

Thanks. Glad it helps.
    BTW It's much more fun to hook up my Korg NanoStudio BT to the iPhone than the iPad. I can understand why people are using iPhone versions of music apps. It's much more "intimate" :D

• I think I've found a bug-- creating a patch with the chromatic option turned on does not recall the chromatic option being turned on upon recalling the patch. This is with the latest version.

• By the way, is there a way to rename patches? I can't seem to find a way to do it.

• It's not a bug.
    To rename a preset, slide the sample name in the preset browser and tap Rename. This renames the sample file in the Samplist folder, thus renames the preset also.

A preset is a just a mapping of the slices in regards to the sample, and their additional settings (filter & adsr).
    It's a spartan version :)

As I stated before, I made this app based on my needs initially. And I needed a way to chop a sample MPC style or OP-1 Style. Mostly drum hits. If you're familiar with how the OP-1 saves drums kits, that's the way I envisioned it.

OP-1 has 2 types o samplers: drum & keys. I combined both here.

But I'll take note of your suggestion.

• I really need to write the manual now that the app is in a more finished and stable form.