Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Procreate - drawing and sketching

13»

Comments

• I've tried quite a few different drawing apps and not one comes close to Procreate regarding feel. After I bought the screen "paper" (can't recall what's it called) I even caught myself lifting my hand to avoid smearing out the paint. Anyway, this is an old sketch (90s) that I'm redoing in Procreate. The music making are so much fun I nearly forgot why I bough the iPad but this thread reminded me :D :D .
    I choose to show this as it has some musical reference - find the bass player..

• I bought copius amounts of real paint, when i think i had ocd ( but was too stinge to use any of it ) I wasted enough just prepping canvas and setting aside. A mini art shop of musuem materials. Now I cant see properly I wonder if Id draw / paint how my eye sees and other people would see it completely different. I bought an apple pencil to design what Id paint. If I sold it Id still keep oil pastels as you cant really paint on massive paper ( unless I guess you use wax pastel also ) which are also water color and the same colours also. If I just kept to a media. Id probably paint and just replace as needed. When I bought acrylics though I was just buying colours, when you could just buy whats needed for a pallet. Classic or modern. Figure you need loads of white paint ( if you dont use as watercolor ) Now I think. Where would I even put paintings anyway. Ipad is good for art though. Hassle free.

• An eye vision is tall and other eye vision is short. Generally shorter with both eyes. So Im selling oil paints. Windsor and Newton artist and a few Dalor Rowley artist. £500. Offers?

• I tell you whats good. Unison soft pastel ( which I didnt buy ) thankfully but kind of wish I did as a collector. They were £600 for the set now I think they are more than £1000. Seems like it would be easier to work with dust but you would end up coughing up rainbows.

https://www.jacksonsart.com/unison-soft-pastel-complete-range-of-374-colours

Actually £1350 but Jacksons own brand stuff seems nice.

• @Pxlhg said:
    I've tried quite a few different drawing apps and not one comes close to Procreate regarding feel. After I bought the screen "paper" (can't recall what's it called) I even caught myself lifting my hand to avoid smearing out the paint.

I've always been curious about the paperlike stuff. Does it have any effect on screen visibility or brightness? I have a pencil and love Procreate & the Affinity apps but my iPad is mainly used for music. If it wouldn't have any negative effect when not using it with the pencil/for art I think I'd like to invest in the paperlike stuff.

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@Pxlhg said:
    I've tried quite a few different drawing apps and not one comes close to Procreate regarding feel. After I bought the screen "paper" (can't recall what's it called) I even caught myself lifting my hand to avoid smearing out the paint.

I've always been curious about the paperlike stuff. Does it have any effect on screen visibility or brightness? I have a pencil and love Procreate & the Affinity apps but my iPad is mainly used for music. If it wouldn't have any negative effect when not using it with the pencil/for art I think I'd like to invest in the paperlike stuff.

i use matte screen protectors and over all they look much better, finger print smears do more damage to the image quality than the matte look... it took me about 3 days to adjust tho just cuz it really is so much less smudgey , i couldn’t believe it. i use the ones from super shieldz , like 10usd for 3 and feels the same as the more expensive ones

• edited December 2020

@PeteSasqwax said:

It felt a bit weird with one: the noise, which you soon enough forget about, and two: the texture when using your finger, something I almost never do. I would not like to be without it now that I got used to it. The feeling when working with other stuff is neglectable. I can't remember the brand(not paperlike) I bought but I got scammed as they were cheaper than paperlike but then it was just one film in the package so watch out for that. Visibility is also not a problem, at all.

• Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll grab one and see how I get on. Are they easy enough to apply/remove?

• edited December 2020

Yes. You just need a room that's rather dust free because of course any lint that falls onto the screen while you apply the foil will be trapped there. And then place the foil as precisely as you can. It's doable. There's no adhesion glue or anything so you can remove them without leaving a trace by just peeling them off. Just like any other screen protection foil. The "paperlike" ones are also just matte foils but a little more expensive. I'd just buy 3 foils so that you can mess up 2 times :D (because if you've trapped a grain of dust it can leave behind an air bubble at that spot and removing it is very difficult, so you might want to remove the foil and try again with another foil... and in case aou get it right the first time, you'll have replacement foilsmfor when yours becomes too scratched up)

I do not only prefer the feeling of a matte foil when drawing but also when using the ipad everyday with my fingers. The fingers just slide better. Good for making adjustments with faders when recording automation etc.

But just as a warning, depending on the foil you use you will introduce a tiny bit of a "grain" like effect to the screen, it will not be as absolutely clear as before. Still, a tradeoff well worth it imho.

• @dobbs said:
    Yes. You just need a room that's rather dust free because of course any lint that falls onto the screen while you apply the foil will be trapped there. And then place the foil as precisely as you can. It's doable. There's no adhesion glue or anything so you can remove them without leaving a trace by just peeling them off. Just like any other screen protection foil. The "paperlike" ones are also just matte foils but a little more expensive. I'd just buy 3 foils so that you can mess up 2 times :D (because if you've trapped a grain of dust it can leave behind an air bubble at that spot and removing it is very difficult, so you might want to remove the foil and try again with another foil... and in case aou get it right the first time, you'll have replacement foilsmfor when yours becomes too scratched up)

I do not only prefer the feeling of a matte foil when drawing but also when using the ipad everyday with my fingers. The fingers just slide better. Good for making adjustments with faders when recording automation etc.

But just as a warning, depending on the foil you use you will introduce a tiny bit of a "grain" like effect to the screen, it will not be as absolutely clear as before. Still, a tradeoff well worth it imho.

Agreed!
    And I’d second the cheaper foils, look at super shields they ship fast and are waaaay cheaper, I’ve had the same one on 6 months of heavy use and it’s still going strong

• About application (I have yet to remove mine so I don't know @PeteSasqwax ) I got a really good tip for applying though. Go to your bathroom and let the hot-water run for a while so you get a mist in the air, no need for exaggerations but enough to bind dust. Mine applied with hardly no bubbles at all and I followed the instructions to a t and it was great, but, I have to admit as it was the first time: I was a bit nervous :)

• Superb tip - thanks @Pxlhg !

• @Pxlhg said:
    About application (I have yet to remove mine so I don't know @PeteSasqwax ) I got a really good tip for applying though. Go to your bathroom and let the hot-water run for a while so you get a mist in the air, no need for exaggerations but enough to bind dust. Mine applied with hardly no bubbles at all and I followed the instructions to a t and it was great, but, I have to admit as it was the first time: I was a bit nervous :)

Yeah... this trick is great. I did with my Playstation Portable years ago. The screen shield is still holding up great after about 12 years

• The last foil for my ipad, I applied it while lying in bed and have zero dust on it. probably a once in a lifetime achievement! :D