Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sell me grooverider

Comments

• @Love3quency said:
    Bought it

Just spent two hours with it and am underwhelmed :(

What did you do?

• How do you load your own samples? As aforementioned, the preset sounds are a little flat or muddy.

• edited January 2018

• wimwim
    edited January 2018

@guidinglight said:
    How do you load your own samples? As aforementioned, the preset sounds are a little flat or muddy.

If you're on a version of iOS that has the files app, just move samples into the Groove Rider folder under "On my iPhone" or "On my iPad". If not then ... itunes + RTFM.

Direct AudioShare and Open-In functionality is on the way soon.

(fwiw, I think the included samples, especially for drums, are pretty bloody good)

• DCJDCJ
    edited January 2018

I’m actually pretty impressed with the sounds... samples AND sampled wavs.

drops two cents in the bucket

• @dendy said:
    Btw. you can do great ambient tunes on GR, same way like some talented people are doing with Korg Electribe ;-) It's never about HW/SW limitations, it's always just about your creativity and talent .. look what somebody is able to do with Electribe which is even more limited than GR .. There are simply 2 types of pepple - those who are murmuring about limits and boundaries, and those who f*cks on limits and boundaries and simply make great music :)

2 examples:

You can do same and better (because of more features on GR) with GrooveRider ... ;-)

great post with nice tips

• @Iostress said:
    It's basic/limited compared to a lot of modern grooveboxes but for ios it's probably about as good as it gets atm for this kind of thing. Well worth £10 at least.

Ahem.

The current price is £18.99.

• edited May 2018

Admittedly I don't use it as much as I'd like to. I don't have the patience for setting it up and I'm a stickler for programming rather than live performance which is why I'm such a Gadget fanboy and less of a Grooverider or Beatmaker... variety of easily accessible sounds and lightning fast sequencing workflow.

HOWEVER... if you've got an extra device like a phone or a second Ipad and Midiflow Grooverider a lot better than Beatmaker as an external sequencer. Dean here has done a phenomenal job of showing the benefits of having multiple devices synced up using Link and he showcases a variety of genre potentials.

Beatmaker on the other hand will give you a lot more in terms of pads, banks, pattern lengths and sound design using sampling. It's also an AU host.

• edited May 2018

@guidinglight said:
    How do you load your own samples? As aforementioned, the preset sounds are a little flat or muddy.

Menu > Part > Import from Audioshare > Write pattern, repeat. You want to load samples to parts and save your configurations/kits as patterns. Unfortunately, the pattern saving is very unintuitive thanks to the lack of inbuilt menu options. Everything seems to be done by means of the write/shift write/copy etc. paradigm which is a pain in the ass for me personally, but others seem to really like it.

• It is literally an Electribe 2 in an app. May or may not be a selling point. Honestly I own Poison202 and Grooveride and do not really see why people like them so much. Cheesy flashy interfaces with middle of the road virtual analog sounds. Average apps. I'd recommend Egoist if you want a more solid GrooveBox experience.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mr_Beak said:
    It is literally an Electribe 2 in an app. May or may not be a selling point. Honestly I own Poison202 and Grooveride and do not really see why people like them so much. Cheesy flashy interfaces with middle of the road virtual analog sounds. Average apps. I'd recommend Egoist if you want a more solid GrooveBox experience.

Cheesy and flashy, fair game. Average, though, hardly at all. Grooverider completely raised the bar. Even large well-established companies like Intua, Retronyms and Korg can barely compete with Jim Pavlov.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:
    It is literally an Electribe 2 in an app. May or may not be a selling point. Honestly I own Poison202 and Grooveride and do not really see why people like them so much. Cheesy flashy interfaces with middle of the road virtual analog sounds. Average apps. I'd recommend Egoist if you want a more solid GrooveBox experience.

Cheesy and flashy, fair game. Average, though, hardly at all. Grooverider completely raised the bar. Even large well-established companies like Intua, Retronyms and Korg can barely compete with Jim Pavlov.

Weird. Intua made something really special with BM3. Gadget, despite it's walled garden aspect is also quite intricate and incredible. Retronyms - yea I'll give you that. Personally I just don't see what's special about Jims apps. I find the sound to be quite average and the parameters to shape said sound are rather limited and very basic.

• @Dawdles said:

@Mr_Beak said:

Electribe 2 doesn't have probability and parameter locks AFAIK? But yeah, even with those functions present I still rarely use grooverider. Find it quite irritating with the browsing/editing window and not a big fan of the synth/fx/ui design/no onscreen keyboard and lack of AUv3 host/instrument.

It's still a decent app though and a bargain for anyone that digs the simplified synth and fx.

Totally agree. It's a good price and a very basic synth engine. I used it off and on for about a week and now it's vanished back to the shadows of my appstore catalog.

I didn't mean to come off as insulting to Jim Audio. Some people love his work. I find it a bit trite and boring. Subjective, completely.

• edited May 2018

@Mr_Beak said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

Weird. Intua made something really special with BM3. Gadget, despite it's walled garden aspect is also quite intricate and incredible. Retronyms - yea I'll give you that. Personally I just don't see what's special about Jims apps. I find the sound to be quite average and the parameters to shape said sound are rather limited and very basic.

The point made here was that for a one-man operation, and a newcomer on the scene, up against to the collaborative efforts of the other well-established said development teams, Grooverider surpassed their products in significant ways, from a technical standpoint and in many other respects.

Besides, the MFX trackpad has a freakin vinyl brake.... That's so freakin badass B)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

The point made here was that for a one-man operation, and a newcomer on the scene, up against to the collaborative efforts of the other well-established said development teams, Grooverider surpassed their products in significant ways, from a technical standpoint and in many other respects.

Besides, the MFX trackpad has a freakin vinyl brake.... That's so freakin badass B)

I don't see how it surpasses other similar products. It's a purely subjective thing. Vinyl Break and MultiFX pads are nothing remotely new. I'll say again, if the Korg E2 hadn't been invented 90% of this app would not exist either. There exists almost zero originality.

• edited May 2018

@Mr_Beak said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

I don't see how it surpasses other similar products. It's a purely subjective thing. Vinyl Break and MultiFX pads are nothing remotely new. I'll say again, if the Korg E2 hadn't been invented 90% of this app would not exist either. There exists almost zero originality.

Wow I have to spell it out again...

Where to begin

P-locks
    Midi in/out
    All kinds of swing and random velocity settings
    All kinds of filters
    Combined sampler and synth
    Timestretch for looped samples
    More than 100 factory samples
    More than 100 factory pattern presets
    Custom skinning
    All developed by one man
    All for $20, half the price of what the others charge

And the point about the Electribe: part of the reason why everyone is hyped about this app is because the Ipad/Iphone is the perfect medium for this kind of workflow and frankly the UI is completely spot on (though I always though the jog wheel would have been better placed right of the LED screen.)

Anyway, Retronyms dropped the ball 3 times with their IMPCs. Beatmaker 3 is barely out of beta testing as far as I'm concerned. Korg made Ielectribe but never got around to giving us sample import or any kind of melodic controls, (instead they gave us Gadget which is forgivable).

Engineering a groovebox on IOS is no easy feat, the failures and shotcomings of the other mentioned apps is evidence enough. Grooverider got it right, right from the get-go.

I'm not saying you should like the app. But your argument that app specs are subjective has been debunked.

• If after all the talk and videos that are out there, you’re still on the fence, then maybe it’s not for you. It’s ok if you’re just not into an app that a lot of people are into. No one will throw you in mobile music jail. For example, I’m not a big fan of Gadget. And nobody cares. So either give it a whirl for 19 bucks or just don’t use it. No big deal.

• @Dawdles said:
    Also it's really not in korg or akai's best interest to make great ios versions of the hardware they're trying to sell for significantly more money ;)

Weak argument ended with a winky face. Two posts in a row ended with winky faces. Henceforth, the Audiobus Forum Community shall only refer to @Dawdles as Mr. Winky. It hath been decreed.

• edited May 2018

@Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

Where to begin

P-locks
    Midi in/out
    All kinds of filters
    Custom skinning
    All developed by one man

And the point about the Electribe: part of the reason why everyone is hyped about this app is because the Ipad/Iphone is the perfect medium for this kind of workflow and frankly the UI is completely spot on (though I always though the jog wheel would have been better placed right of the LED screen.)

Anyway, Retronyms dropped the ball 3 times with their IMPCs. Beatmaker 3 is barely out of beta testing as far as I'm concerned. Korg made Ielectribe but never got around to giving us sample import or any kind of melodic controls, (instead they gave us Gadget which is forgivable).

Engineering a groovebox on IOS is no easy feat, the failures and shotcomings of the other mentioned apps is evidence enough. Grooverider got it right, right from the get-go.

I'm not saying you should like the app. But your argument that app specs are subjective has been debunked.

Also it's really not in korg or akai's best interest to make great ios versions of the hardware they're trying to sell for significantly more money ;)

Korg is doing a fine job. I have little reason to doubt their software will continue to improve and as iPads become increasingly commonplace and more powerful, overtaking laptops, Korg will have firm hold of the market share.

I'll give credit to Retronyms for doing a lot of the pioneering back in the early years. They're going to have to do the hard work of keeping their AudioCopy relevant to the new app ecosystem if they want to continue insisting that their customers use it with their apps. In the case of Retronyms/Akai I don't see their decisions as sound business practice. Lately they've been behind the curve on IOS but to be fair then they've also been getting into hardware. I wish they had focused instead on their flagship app being the MPC rather than all these other spinoffs but if that's what they're into then all the power to them, innovate!

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Dawdles said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Mr_Beak said:

Where to begin

P-locks
    Midi in/out
    All kinds of filters
    Custom skinning
    All developed by one man

Korg is doing a fine job. I have little reason to doubt their software will continue to improve and as iPads become increasingly commonplace and more powerful, overtaking laptops, Korg will have firm hold of the market share.

I'll give credit to Retronyms for doing a lot of the pioneering back in the early years. They're going to have to do the hard work of keeping their AudioCopy relevant to the new app ecosystem if they want to continue insisting that their customers use it with their apps. In the case of Retronyms/Akai I don't see their decisions as sound business practice. Lately they've been behind the curve on IOS but to be fair then they've also been getting into hardware. I wish they had focused instead on their flagship app being the MPC rather than all these other spinoffs but if that's what they're into then all the power to them, innovate!

It still doesn't stand out in any way. filters, custom skinning (lol) midi in/out is not unique, timestretch is not unique, oh thanks for the run of the mill preset bundle sounds lol. Parameter locks. Ok. this argument is so vanilla.

• @ksound said:

@Dawdles said:

Weak argument ended with a winky face. Two posts in a row ended with winky faces. Henceforth, the Audiobus Forum Community shall only refer to @Dawdles as Mr. Winky. It hath been decreed.

It's actually a solid argument as GrooveRider is a carbon copy of the korg E2.

• is the swing global or per part?

• @kobamoto said:
    is the swing global or per part?

@kobamoto said:
    is the swing global or per part?

Both! Global swing and Each part you can apply a groove template that affects timing and velocity

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

@Mr_Beak said:

@ksound said:

@Dawdles said:

It's actually a solid argument as GrooveRider is a carbon copy of the korg E2.

Solid indeed. You acknowledge that it delivers the functionality of a $400 piece of gear ... for $19.

Calling it "trite" was much more effective. Maybe you should quit while you're ahead. o:)

• edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.