Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sell me grooverider

Tell me why I should get it...

I’m not such a big fan of poison synth and I wrote the dev with no response, so I’m hesitant

What exactly can grooverider bring to my dnb and ambient productions? Especially seeing as export of set bars is not present

Can I import my own sounds at least?

Comments

• Yes - you can use your own samples. See huge thread about Grooverider.

• @Love3quency said:

I’m not such a big fan of poison synth and I wrote the dev with no response, so I’m hesitant

What exactly can grooverider bring to my dnb and ambient productions? Especially seeing as export of set bars is not present

I don’t get it, but, there’s a thread about Groove Rider GR–16 that has 1100 comments about the app... Isn’t that enough??

• Yeah see huge thread about all the features it’s missing (well missing till they are found hiding in the manual)

• @Love3quency said:

It's basic/limited compared to a lot of modern grooveboxes but for ios it's probably about as good as it gets atm for this kind of thing. Well worth £10 at least.

Not ideal for ambient (see sample restrictions below + no insert reverbs + only 1 lfo per part + only 4 voice poly per part). Don't know much about d'n'b so can't really say.

Can import sounds but be aware it will convert to mono if not mono already and max length 16 secs. No nested sample folders and awkward browser. Hopefully the import/browser aspect gets some attention in updates.

• edited January 2018

Don't buy it, it have no sense for you, specially if you don't like Poison202 (which i completely not understand, but maybe it's just about genre, i'm into psytrance and there isn't better synth on iOS for psytrance FM leads than Poison 202 :))

Grooverider is primary what it is - groovebox. Tool for live jamming, live performance - not production tool. Even through it can be used also as production tool, it is primary live performance tool. Do not make same mistake like some users here at audiobus formu - they bought it and then started spaming GR threads with trillions of requests from which is clear they do not understand primary target audience of such groovebox ... It's not BM3 competition, it was not supposed to be complex production tool with in-depth editing abilities .. it is for live jamming, for quick and easdy access to all (or almost all) parameters for tweaking them realtime without need of dig deep into menus and switch screens ..

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Love3quency said:

I don’t get it, but, there’s a thread about Groove Rider GR–16 that has 1100 comments about the app... Isn’t that enough??

Would be if it wasn’t 1050 comments about what it could be and the associated bitching. That thread is nigh on unreadable for anyone after quality insights.

I bought GR because I like Poison and the cut of the dev’s jib.

Having used it for a bit (and with no prior experience with the hardware it closely models) I like the sound quality, immediacy and focus of the design.

I like that it’s a one-screener, albeit with some menu diving. With some minimal tweaking (NOT turning it into a DAW or BM3 or whatever) it will be used for some time here.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Love3quency said:

Yes... but 998 of those comments are mainly from @Iostress

• @dendy said:
    Don't buy it, it have no sense for you, specially if you don't like Poison202 (which i completely not understand, but maybe it's just about genre, i'm into psytrance and there isn't better synth on iOS for psytrance FM leads than Poison 202 :))

Grooverider is primary what it is - groovebox. Tool for live jamming, live performance - not production tool. Even through it can be used also as production tool, it is primary live performance tool. Do not make same mistake like some users here at audiobus formu - they bought it and then started spaming GR threads with trillions of requests from which is clear they do not understand primary target audience of such groovebox ... It's not BM3 competition, it was not supposed to be complex production tool with in-depth editing abilities .. it is for live jamming, for quick and easdy access to all (or almost all) parameters for tweaking them realtime without need of dig deep into menus and switch screens ..

Ugh. Stop saying that people making requests in GR16 thread don't understand grooveboxes... So ignorant and judgemental... GR16 is not a 'perfect' groovebox.... Yet. The hardware industry would be having a heart attack if that were the case.... Maybe = to an electribe but a lot of us already have better options that that... If dev wants to be as successful as possible he needs to attract not only electribe fans and people that always lusted for an electribe... Compare it to Octatrack, analog four, Deluge etc.. Performance tools..not daws! With multiple screens! Shock horror! That's the current level to really aim for with grooveboxes.. Nothing to do with BM3 or Daws. Such a an ill-informed view to take :/

• edited January 2018

Btw. you can do great ambient tunes on GR, same way like some talented people are doing with Korg Electribe ;-) It's never about HW/SW limitations, it's always just about your creativity and talent .. look what somebody is able to do with Electribe which is even more limited than GR .. There are simply 2 types of pepple - those who are murmuring about limits and boundaries, and those who f*cks on limits and boundaries and simply make great music :)

2 examples:

You can do same and better (because of more features on GR) with GrooveRider ... ;-)

• @dendy said:

Thanks!

Can you please link me to your psytrance? I love the genre but don’t know how to make it

Maybe unique by sugar bytes might be good for you too, and Lorentz with its cool arp :)

• @dendy said:
    Btw. you can do great ambient tunes on GR, same way like some talented people are doing with Korg Electribe ;-) It's never about HW/SW limitations, it's always just about your creativity and talent .. look what somebody is able to do with Electribe which is even more limited than GR ..

You can do same and better (because of more features on GR) with GrooveRider ... ;-)

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!

• @ginandjuice said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Love3quency said:

Keep up... 999

• To those who feel my OP was unnecessary because of other GR posts, that’s fine

But this is specific and saves me scrolling through hundreds of contradictions

As a result of this thread I found out about a ios psytrance producer and a unique way to make ambient

• @Iostress said:

@ginandjuice said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Love3quency said:

Keep up... 999

:D

• edited January 2018

@Love3quency said:
    Can you please link me to your psytrance? I love the genre but don’t know how to make it

my last official release (all iOS production, nanostudio, BM2, iOS synths)
    https://www.psyshop.com/Black-Hole-Storm-Ray-Subject/gre1dw148/

my older tracks (ios production is 3,4,6,9,14,15, rest is my "pre-ios" era :-))
    https://raysubject.bandcamp.com/

and soundcloud i have more music not just psytrance, also some chillout + lot of synth demo tracks :)
    https://soundcloud.com/ray_subject

You're welcome ;)

Maybe unique by sugar bytes might be good for you too

Was thinking about it but not AU .. i promised myself will not buy any synth wich is not AU ;-)

• @dendy said:

@Love3quency said:

and soundcloud i have more music not just psytrance, also some chillout + lot of synth demo tracks :)

You're welcome ;)

Maybe unique by sugar bytes might be good for you too

Was thinking about it but not AU .. i promised myself will not buy any synth wich is not AU ;-)

I like your enchanted forest track... is that iOS?

I like the forest psy sound a lot

• @dendy said:

@Love3quency said:

You're welcome ;)

Listening to a few of your tracks. Not my genre at all but sounds decent for what it is. But it's clearly the kind of production/genre that doesn't cry out for all the stuff that's being requested in the other thread. So I can see why you're digging GR16 so much and so 'get over it!' to other users. Sounds like barely any samples in your music for one thing and no 'shiiiiit, how how did this guy do THAT!?' Kind of experimentation. Which is fine, not needed for that kind of sound :)

But for more experimental and/or sample-centric genres...limitations aren't 'always' creative, sometimes they just = a time swallowing PITA vs compromise your vision. << Life's too short for either ;). It's not a groovebox vs daw thing!

So what is 'enough for you' isn't nessicarily so for others. Probably someone out there making rad stuff with an akai mpx8.. Too limited for you I'd guess tho? And I doubt you'd enjoy all the workarounds you'd need to go through to make your music on one. Everyone's requirements are different...

Not sure why you can't see that and even care what others are saying? Just be happy that you have something that works so well for you and go read some real literature or something instead of this forum ;) You have your dream groovebox, move on ;)

• edited January 2018

@Love3quency said:

Enchanted forest is pure Korg Gadget :-) Just kick imported from my sample library (kick was created on desktop using this plugin : http://www.ismism.de/BazzISM.htm so basically it is just 99.99% iOS production :)))

Btw. it is the first and last full track i did in Gadget .. gadget sequencer is killing me :) To do more complex track structures, long automations for example, is really pain in ass there ..

• @dendy said:

@Love3quency said:

Enchanted forest is pure Korg Gadget :-) Just kick imported from my sample library (kick was created on desktop using this plugin : http://www.ismism.de/BazzISM.htm so basically it is just 99.99% iOS production :)))

Btw. it is the first and last full track i did in Gadget .. gadget sequencer is killing me :) To do more complex track structures, long automations for example, is really pain in ass there ..

Where else on iOS could you sequence tracks then?

• edited January 2018

Old good Nanostudio and now, when it died on iOS11, Beatmaker 2. My workflow in BM2 is basically sample smaller or longer phrases to audio tracks (both internal ios synths, external hw synths), then cut it to smaller parts, rearrange, apply build in BM2 fx's ..

Can't wait for Nanostudio 2 finished, i'm pretty sure it will be my ideal DAW of choice for next few years :)

• edited January 2018

It’s the closest app I’ve used to a Digitakt, so it’s a big win for me. 16 pads representing 16 tracks that represent 16 steps visually per bar. Has such a nice workflow because of that. Takes so little time to get something musical going compared to more feature-rich apps. Would be great for live performance because it’s so easy and quick to mute/unmute/manipulate tracks and steps.Has probability, sample imports, and p-locks, which makes it Digitakt-ish enough for me to love it. Super easy to learn (one quick read of the short manual last night got me up to speed). To me it’s a more intuitive version of Patterning.

• Also it has an erase button. Selling point right there. You can hold it down while playing the touchpad and continuously overwrite the loop until you get the perfect take. You can also use it to punch in momentarily for adding variations to phrases. So you could just hold down an arp and then use the erase button to chop it up and add little fills and stuff. Incredibly simple, fluid, and fun.

• @ipadthai said:
    It’s the closest app I’ve used to a Digitakt, so it’s a big win for me. 16 pads representing 16 tracks that represent 16 steps visually per bar. Has such a nice workflow because of that. Takes so little time to get something musical going compared to more feature-rich apps. Would be great for live performance because it’s so easy and quick to mute/unmute/manipulate tracks and steps.Has probability, sample imports, and p-locks, which makes it Digitakt-ish enough for me to love it. Super easy to learn (one quick read of the short manual last night got me up to speed). To me it’s a more intuitive version of Patterning.

You sold it to me

Thanks!

• edited January 2018

Just one example, 3 psytrance patterns on grooverider .. sorry for random turning in/off parts, not real live set, no time for something serious :-) just for you to get idea that some sonic spetrums of build in engine are really useable for psytrance

all sounds just internal synth engine + build in drum samples, just a bit tweaked (for example in all 3 patterns basic kick is with additional pitch envelope to get more snappy typical psytrance kick)

Btw. specially this thing (short pitch envelope on samples) is broken on Korg Electribe - if you use such fast enelope, then during playback if you are tweaking any knob in any part, you get randomly wrong triggered envelope (it is not triggered in sync with note start) .. so basically unusable for this purpose .. i reported it to Korg but even after 2 years it is still not fixed .. Grooverider is sooo much better than Electribe :)

• @dendy
    Nice!
    OT, but I’ve always been into a little DnB, a little techno, a lot of house and electro. I’ve never listened to psytrance, now I’m curious.
    Thanks for posting.

• @dendy said:
    Just one example, 3 psytrance patterns on grooverider .. sorry for random turning in/off parts, not real live set, no time for something serious :-) just for you to get idea that some sonic spetrums of build in engine are really useable for psytrance

all sounds just internal synth engine + build in drum samples, just a bit tweaked (for example in all 3 patterns basic kick is with additional pitch envelope to get more snappy typical psytrance kick)

Btw. specially this thing (short pitch envelope on samples) is broken on Korg Electribe - if you use such fast enelope, then during playback if you are tweaking any knob in any part, you get randomly wrong triggered envelope (it is not triggered in sync with note start) .. so basically unusable for this purpose .. i reported it to Korg but even after 2 years it is still not fixed .. Grooverider is sooo much better than Electribe :)

Are those built in psytrance sounds?

• edited January 2018

those are sounds tweaked by me... there aren't "presets" in the way how they are on classic synths (if i not count demo patterns with tweaked sounds)

but the synth engine is very easy.. it's architecture more hard-wired compared to traditional synths - you have not just basic saw/square/triangle/noise owcillator but also comples types like oscillator "xfm: square+supersaw" which means that this oscillator consist from 2 suboscillators - one "saw", which is cross modulating second suboscillator which is type supersaw

for each such complex oscillator you then have 2 knobs which "do something" - what they do depends of oscillator type

maybe it looks a bit limited, but you can get very wide range of sounds by just selecting oscillator type and tweaking literally randomly two knobs :-) simple but very powerfull combo

i wish tobhave gr16 as AUv3 plugin ( @jimpavloff any plans to do it ??) because it's synth engine is in some way even better than poison's (you get lot faster some sound types)

in addition, you have one modulation slot - which source can be lfo or envelope and which can modulate (almost) any other synth parameter .. again just one modulation per patch, but you don't feel limited, sonic spectrum is wide

• Bought it

Just spent two hours with it and am underwhelmed :(

• @Love3quency said:
    Bought it

Just spent two hours with it and am underwhelmed :(

Exactly my experience.
    But keep playing it. There is a learning curve to it and you need to learn to speak the language of this thing... I think regarding dnb there is the chance to program your drums and use even your own samples very easy (with the files app). But the synth sounds on Board are to static?! I may have not understood how to shape them properly - anyways I had the same feeling when I got it on Christmas because of the hype. Right now I like it a lot more

I thought that you can chop break loops and rearrange them. Does not work right now to sequence your slices. But it will become better with updates. Midi is on the was also etc.
    it’s a fun thing for fast and quick production. And trying out ideas and stuff...

• Oh sorry doublepost but: I think cool is the Feature of applying random velocity to sequenced samples; in combination of a slight swing this sounds quite nice