(Fixed!) Audiobus 2 runs way smoother than 3

I run the same setups in audiobus 3 than I ran in 2 but they crackle in audiobus 3 and run perfect in 2. Not sure what the programming issues are but audiobus 2 runs way more efficiently. I run magellan/animoog/model15 thru audiobus 3 into loopy and it's all crackles. Audiobus 2 sounds flawless. Why? Is there something essentially different that makes it run so much less efficiently?

Also all audiounits crackle unless the UI is open for me in audiobus 3. I love the mixer and midi but the latency and buffer issues kinda cancel that out. Thoughts? Why is it so night and day?

«1345

Comments

  • 123 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • edited November 2017 Vote Up0

    I love audiobus 3. Not trying to be a complainer but I can't use audiobus 3 for live shows. It always crackles and I have a 6s Plus. Audiobus 2 runs flawlessly tho. Just can't use zeeon or other audiounits. Ios 11.1. Can't figure out why it never wants to be agreeable.

  • I must admit, AB 2 seemed better.

  • @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    I run the same setups in audiobus 3 than I ran in 2 but they crackle in audiobus 3 and run perfect in 2. Not sure what the programming issues are but audiobus 2 runs way more efficiently. I run magellan/animoog/model15 thru audiobus 3 into loopy and it's all crackles. Audiobus 2 sounds flawless. Why? Is there something essentially different that makes it run so much less efficiently?

    Also all audiounits crackle unless the UI is open for me in audiobus 3. I love the mixer and midi but the latency and buffer issues kinda cancel that out. Thoughts? Why is it so night and day?

    Unfortunately I’m having similar issues on my Air 2 on 11.0. Thought I had it licked by doing a reboot before each session and setting buffer to 1024.
    Initially it happened when I had AUM in the input slot of AB3 but today I ran AB3 alone with no more than 2 apps in input at one time and GTL in output. I set buffer to 256 because I was using Tonestack. At 1024 I get latency with an amp sim and I’m a bass player so...
    Worked fine until about 45 minutes in then came major crackles.
    Got frustrated and through in the towel.

  • Sorry. 11.1. Not updated to latest though.

  • Hmm. Much frustration to hear that. I'll see if I can find out what's going on.

  • edited November 2017 Vote Up0

    I know. Audiobus 3 is obviously a higher level app. It just sucks when my powerful cpu can't keep up with live tasks. I'm not sure but there something in audiobus 2 programming that runs smoother

  • Got to admit, while I love AB3, the workflow and creativity is great and I’m happy that I made the switch, I have had to simplify my setups because I can’t run nearly as many apps smoothly/reliably in AB3 as in AB2.

    I put it down to the natural process of (all apps) updating and accommodating for more powerful hardware, making them slightly more processor intensive over time, but I just thought I’d mention it as it is ‘on topic’ in this thread.

    I also find AB:Remote very unreliable these days (chatted with Michael privately about this one), whereas with AB2 it was performance ready.

  • I must admit.

    I am an avid tester of AB3 since day 1. Put in an hour or so daily testing it.

    However, for live stuff and recording I still use AB2. AB remote is reliable 100% for me.

    I can say I understand the comments here.

    I also can say that I know no other developer who is so diligent in his response to every concern or issue I bring to them about the app. In a timely and diligent manner.

  • edited November 2017 Vote Up0

    After a year or so since launch I’ve finally started using AB for LHS (live home simulation) and have to say that I’m almost ready. I’ve unplugged Sunrizer but I’ve gained Circuit as a midi clock. Audiobus presets recalling like a dream. Turnado’s got latest SDK and lost sync but I rolled it back to the previous version.

    Another couple of months of testing and I think it will be ready for stage time. Gotta say that Loopy loading sessions with Audiobus presets has made my life massively easier.

    Thanks team Audiobus @Michael @Sebastian

  • @Michael said:
    Hmm. Much frustration to hear that. I'll see if I can find out what's going on.

    I have another analytics file in my Dropbox if you fancy ;)

  • “I also can say that I know no other developer who is so diligent in his response to every concern or issue I bring to them about the app. In a timely and diligent manner.”

    @RUST( i )K . Of that there is no doubt. Both here and on the Loopy forum. Just trying to flesh out some ongoing issues.
    You and I traded a couple of posts on a different thread a few days ago regarding the same issue and I think it’s important to reiterate here that this has only been a problem -for me anyway- since the update to 11. Prior to that the sailing was smooth.

  • Agreed @Michael @Sebastian response time and support is always fantastic. I'll do whatever I can yo support or help iron out bugs

  • Thanks guys. Yeah, the iOS 11 update has brought some grief. Makes it hard to separate what’s us and what’s iOS

  • edited November 2017 Vote Up0

    Hi all, first post here after lot of forum daily reading. Noticed that audiobus 3 since ios11 has continuous audio crackle with iPhone 7 Plus on built in speaker and interapp. Was thinking about 48 khz issue as loopy in AUM has to run at 44.1 kHz or there are those crackles too. But I just tried audiobus 2 and ThumbJam runs perfectly to loopy audio is clean on speaker, then I remember ab3 didn’t have the issue before ios11. Audiobus 3 runs without issues with headphones or IRig pro io audio interface, as it’s certainly runs at 44.1. It’s only with speaker. But I like to create music or jam quickly on speaker too. Don’t know why ab2 is ok with that. Noticed too that ab remote crashes a lot with ab3, but I haven’t tested it yet with ab2. I plan to use audiobus in live so I need this great app as stable as possible too.

  • edited November 2017 Vote Up0

    I noticed in ios 10 (audiobus 3 came out) more complex setups with multiple inputs (that strained my system) worked fine in audiobus 2 but glitched a tiny bit in 3. I assumed maybe extra features/mixer/midi routing or different audio processing algorithm was the cause not sure.

    The new issue of a single instance apps glitching seems to be ios 11 related tho

    Strange tho because 2 still runs fine for me in ios 11

  • edited November 2017 Vote Up0

    Again i hope none of this is coming off as complaining about what I'm sure is very complex programming situation and I appreciate your hard work very much

    I'm happy to beta test anything or provide any other assistance I'm capable of

  • Is anyone else getting crazy battery drain using AB3? I seem to be (iphone6splus - iOS 11)

  • That's just ios 11, but I haven't noticed it being worse than any other music app. Try using an augmented reality app tho like measure kit, The drain is like 5% a minute. Its totally rediculous

  • I was getting more than 5% a minute drain on my iPhone running AB3, KRFT, Loopy and FluxFX Play. You could watch it going down.

    AB2 seems to be much better. I also took FluxFX Play out of the equation.

  • edited November 2017 Vote Up1

    It's true that AB 3 does do a little more work relaying audio from input/effect apps through to output apps, and from the output app to the speaker, which it must do in order to be able to launch apps into the background (AB 2 had the output app do all the work, but it meant having to use the "Tap to Launch" thing). For me, that only explains glitches if the setup is right on the edge of what the device can handle, though - it shouldn't add a great deal of overhead. There does appear to be more impact on audio system performance from animations and such on iOS 11, which may be responsible for some issues, too; AB 2 had some wacky optimisations to try to alleviate this, and maybe I need to try to get AB 3 to do more of that. Anyway, I'm looking into it (but this stuff is hard, and might take some time)

  • @Michael said:
    It's true that AB 3 does do a little more work relaying audio from input/effect apps through to output apps, and from the output app to the speaker, which it must do in order to be able to launch apps into the background (AB 2 had the output app do all the work, but it meant having to use the "Tap to Launch" thing). For me, that only explains glitches if the setup is right on the edge of what the device can handle, though - it shouldn't add a great deal of overhead. There does appear to be more impact on audio system performance from animations and such on iOS 11, which may be responsible for some issues, too; AB 2 had some wacky optimisations to try to alleviate this, and maybe I need to try to get AB 3 to do more of that. Anyway, I'm looking into it (but this stuff is hard, and might take some time)

    Thanks. Not a huge issue for me anyway. I only need AB2 for what I’m doing right now. And I’m very used to battery drain anyway being an avid iPhone Gadget user!

  • @Michael said:
    There does appear to be more impact on audio system performance from animations and such on iOS 11, which may be responsible for some issues, too; AB 2 had some wacky optimisations to try to alleviate this, and maybe I need to try to get AB 3 to do more of that. Anyway, I'm looking into it (but this stuff is hard, and might take some time)

    I think this is a great thing to try, however it pains me to see you fuffing with Audiobus instead of Loopy Pro.

    I definitely see more glitch when swiping, patch browsing/saving etc. Maybe we just need a 'remove motion' or 'communist graphics'er 'scandinavian mode' button that makes it nice and choppy rather than smooth and fancy. I personally couldn't care less about most of animations. I think I've already enabled 'reduce motion' thing.

  • @Michael said:
    It's true that AB 3 does do a little more work relaying audio from input/effect apps through to output apps, and from the output app to the speaker, which it must do in order to be able to launch apps into the background (AB 2 had the output app do all the work, but it meant having to use the "Tap to Launch" thing).

    Is this more CPU or Ram intensive? My cpu runs at 50% but ram has always hovered around 90 plus.

  • edited November 2017 Vote Up0

    Its very odd. I can run kauldron AND magellan into loopy at 128 buffer in audiobus 2. ZERO pops or crackles

    In audiobus 3 running only one instance of kauldron by itself into loopy at 128 causes crackle/pops. Tried it as an audiounit and IAA input

    I would just use audiobus 2 and not worry about it since it works fine but then my audiounits arent available. Hmmm. Maybe i can find a work around tho

  • Anyone who isn’t @supadom: have you tried out @supadom’s suggestion from the Loopy state saving thread? This is potentially significant because of the way AB3 (currently: I’m changing this soon) tries to keep apps in the session alive if they crash (or are quit manually, which to AB3 is the same thing). So quitting AB3 first might make a difference.

    Quoting here for convenience:

    @supadom said:
    Ok, I think I’ve made a small but ‘monumental’ discovery for my music making with AB3.

    I know it is probably common knowledge but to me it came through dots and dabs from different posts I’ve read recently.

    Anyway, here it is:

    I used to go nuts clearing sessions by soft and hard resets and god knows what else. About 20 minutes ago I

    1 cleared the session in Audiobus

    2 double tapped and closed all of the apps, AUDIOBUS LAST!

    That’s all.

    Every time I started Audiobus again all problematic apps (in my case Loopy hd and ToneStack) started in a flash.

    Now, I’m not saying this is a cure for crackles and anything else. This is my second Air 2 that I mostly use for music. For whatever reason it’s been quite stable and crackle free and syncing perfectly. I’ll report back.

  • @supadom said:
    I think this is a great thing to try, however it pains me to see you fuffing with Audiobus instead of Loopy Pro.

    Tell me about it! Killing me!

    @supadom said:
    Is this more CPU or Ram intensive? My cpu runs at 50% but ram has always hovered around 90 plus.

    It’s a CPU thing (or specifically, an audio render time thing).

  • @Michael to add to your and my misery both of my air 2s behave differently. With my music only Ipad I’ve managed my app heavy preset and even managed to screen capture the whole jam with no glitches whatsoever. It is worth saying that my other Air 2 was brought to its knees as soon as I tapped capture. I’m rendering that video as we speak.

    As far as clearing sessions and killing apps I’ve noticed that AUM is a proper super IAA zombie. It comes back to life even after all the clearing and resetting. It’s a bloody thriller all over again.

  • @Michael said:
    Anyone who isn’t @supadom: have you tried out @supadom’s suggestion from the Loopy state saving thread? This is potentially significant because of the way AB3 (currently: I’m changing this soon) tries to keep apps in the session alive if they crash (or are quit manually, which to AB3 is the same thing). So quitting AB3 first might make a difference.

    Quoting here for convenience:

    @supadom said:
    Ok, I think I’ve made a small but ‘monumental’ discovery for my music making with AB3.

    I know it is probably common knowledge but to me it came through dots and dabs from different posts I’ve read recently.

    Anyway, here it is:

    I used to go nuts clearing sessions by soft and hard resets and god knows what else. About 20 minutes ago I

    1 cleared the session in Audiobus

    2 double tapped and closed all of the apps, AUDIOBUS LAST!

    That’s all.

    Every time I started Audiobus again all problematic apps (in my case Loopy hd and ToneStack) started in a flash.

    Now, I’m not saying this is a cure for crackles and anything else. This is my second Air 2 that I mostly use for music. For whatever reason it’s been quite stable and crackle free and syncing perfectly. I’ll report back.

    Yep. Clear session in AB3>close all apps>AB last.
    With AUM in the input slot of AB occasionally an app will crash (usually one of the ice works apps, less frequently Funk Drummer) I’ll double tap and close it out and go back to AUM. That’s the only difference in my routine.

  • edited November 2017 Vote Up0

    I'll test and report back. @Michael so sorry for the endless headache of the shifting landscape of IOS on top of normal app issues. Wish apple would make their audio pipeline rock solid and stop messing stuff up for you developers

Sign In or Register to comment.