Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited April 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Also, though I am not absolutely certain, it seems like the sound generated with the keybd controller sounds a little different... more tinny on the piano for example. It doesn't seem possible as I understand the information coming from the Casio only triggers note values. Perhaps it is a velocity thing? Anyway, it is not a very pleasant musical experience. The sound "feels" much better on the Xequence keybd. I prefer to make music by playing, generally. Note by note entry makes for a whole different kind of music.

Yes, velocity is the most likely cause. In fact, assuming only note data, not any midi cc values are being sent, it’s the only possible cause.

Finally, is there any volume metering on Xequence? If so, how do I access it? Does Aum have metering?

There’s no audio in Xequence, so no, there isn’t any volume metering. Yes, AUM has basic metering as well as volume level adjustment. AudioBus does as well.

At least having learned to record on Xequence makes these questions less urgent feeling. It is a big help knowing some savvy minds will try to help me

That’s the beauty of Midi, being able to tweak the sound afterward once the ideas are captured.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, I just keep rattling on! Please forgive me but I think I am becoming a virtual music junkie! The more I explore this realm the more fantastic it seems to be.

Question: anyone have experience with iSymphony and CMP piano? Will they work with Xequence?

Question: does anyone know an app that plays drum patterns or grooves (building a good drum track from scratch is tough for me) I am especially interested in jazz and world grooves.

I stumbled on NI's Kompact system and realized there is a whole other level of authenticity in virtual acoustic instruments. To my consternation and relief (prices!) I at last discovered it was not for iOS. Still, a Joshua Bell violin!! Check it out on YouTube if you haven't heard it... also they do offer one of the most realistic saxes for about $5 that is for iOS. Search Sensual Sax in App Store. I assume it will work with Xequence.

But really, if you haven't heard this stuff go to Native Instruments website. It is mind blowing (60s jargon).

Hey what’s happenin’?

Any app that accepts Midi input should be able to work with Xequence, unless the midi implementation is especially bad and limited in settings/options.

Check out DrumJam for world grooves and good percussion sounds. It is one of my favorite apps.
    Also check out apps by Luis Martinez. He has a line of different themed drum part generators that work really well. Here is a link to Soft Drummer.

Soft Drummer by Luis Martinez
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soft-drummer/id1120957633?mt=8

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, I have successfully hooked up a Casio keyboard to Xequence... but here's what happened... with Gadget I could get four discrete instruments and even use the split function on the Casio. However, with IM1 I only got a discrete voice (piano) on the first track. On the other three tracks I heard the piano along with the other voices (piano/strings, etc.). Split or layer was not engaged.... besides, the first track, piano was discrete. Any ideas?

I know you said it wasn't engaged, but I suspect the key splitting is messing things up. Xequence is not really built for this. You can route key splits all you like if you're sending the midi directly to Gadget and/or iM1, but Xequence accepts a single controller channel at a time and is not likely to work as a middle man in this way. Make sure the Casio is sending a simple single midi out, double check that Xequence sees it in the MIDI/Recording settings (•••), and make sure the other apps are getting their midi from Xequence and not your keyboard.

Finally, is there any volume metering on Xequence? If so, how do I access it? Does Aum have metering?

There is volume adjustment, but not metering. In the Tracks' midi settings (go to midi icon at top, then press the track's cog icon), you'll see the "Controllers..." section at the bottom of the dialog. Press the empty third space, next to Modulation and Pitch, then choose Volume. Now, if you go back to the track's keyboard and press the CC button at bottom left, then the stack icon above it, you'll see a big slider labelled Volume beside the keyboard.

If all of that made your brain hurt, then you may be best off adjusting volumes in the apps themselves. Gadget has a mixer, and iM1's instruments each have a Level slider in the OSC section of the "Easy" menu.

• @LinearLineman the split function in your keyboard probably splits the keyboard into different MIDI channels... unfortunately that won't have any effect on Xequence because it merges all incoming channels into the channel of the instrument on the current track.

Regarding the synth sounding different depending on whether you use the external or internal keyboard: that could be two things: either one has a fixed velocity (you can toggle velocity with the little "3 lines" icon at the bottom of the keyboard screen), or the external keyboard (or the synth's internal one) sends controllers that Xequence doesn't understand (MPE, Aftertouch) or that aren't set up on the corresponding Xequence instrument so they aren't forwarded to the target app via MIDI Thru.

• Thanks CP I'll check those out.

Aaron, I'll work on the keyboard issue, thanks.

And thank you, Wim. Aum seems quite necessary.

I remember reading that Aum is used with Audiobus... to what purpose?

• on a separate note, has anyone tried xequence in a live situation as a backing player?
    thats is, importing readymade midi backing tracks and then assigning to new instruments?
    Generally speaking of whats bands do?

• @hisdudeness said:
    on a separate note, has anyone tried xequence in a live situation as a backing player?
    thats is, importing readymade midi backing tracks and then assigning to new instruments?

You shouldn't have problems doing that, especially since our last update, which brought "endless" song looping (the loop used to stop after about 10 minutes before that update).

• @LinearLineman said:
    I remember reading that Aum is used with Audiobus... to what purpose?

Good questions as usual ...

AUM doesn't require AudioBus. It can function as a standalone host for just about any combination of apps. So, you could load up iM1, a drum machine type app, some synths, etc. up to the limits of what your iPad can run at one time. It helps with routing MIDI to where it needs to go, allows you to apply outside FX such as delays and reverb, to enhance the output of your apps, etc.

It also lets you save session settings (with certain limitations) so that you can recall setups rather than having to reload everything later. Unfortunately, the settings inside each app are only saved for certain apps that have what is called AUv3 capability. iM1 isn't one of these. So, although you could save an AUM session that contained iM1, the iM1 settings wouldn't be saved. You would need to have saved the iM1 setup as a preset, then load that preset to get fully back to where you were.

AudioBus does much of what AUM does but in a different way, and adds a couple of very handy things. The most noticeable is the little control panel that appears in every app allowing you to switch to it with a single press and in most cases do things like starting and stopping apps, toggling record, etc. AudioBus also saves sessions, and is able to save the settings in many more apps than AUM (unfortunately not iM1 again though). This feature is called state saving, and if you look on the AudioBus web site "compatible apps" tab, you can see which ones support state saving.

AUM and AudioBus working together can do some amazing (but complicated) things.

I could go on, but that's a high level view. I'll repeat what I said earlier, though. While you'll definitely benefit from both of these apps, they do add more "moving parts" and unless you have a specific task you're trying to accomplish that they'll help, I think I'd wait to dive in. Once you bump up against a limitation with what you have (such as when you want to record an audio file of your masterpieces), it'll be much easier to understand what these tools do for you.

• So, I seem to remember that it was planned to add Audiobus Midi support to Xequence. Is that still the plan? It would be really handy! :smiley: @SevenSystems

• @Audiojunkie said:
    @SevenSystems Same with Ableton LINK Stop/Start capability. :smile:

• @SevenSystems said:

@hisdudeness said:
    on a separate note, has anyone tried xequence in a live situation as a backing player?

You shouldn't have problems doing that, especially since our last update, which brought "endless" song looping (the loop used to stop after about 10 minutes before that update).

thanks, Im new to the app and post .. just exploring the normal app with 4 channels+ Drum map IAP

question.. is it possible to create sections move between them INSYNC in live scenario... ala Ableton?

example verse chorus bridge and then say jump back to bridge?

• @Audiojunkie yes, AB3 support is still on the timeline. Sorry it's taking longer than expected.

@hisdudeness sorry, not possible... live use scenarios are not among the app's primary use cases, it's really meant to be focused on composition and arrangement :)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Audiojunkie yes, AB3 support is still on the timeline. Sorry it's taking longer than expected.

@hisdudeness sorry, not possible... live use scenarios are not among the app's primary use cases, it's really meant to be focused on composition and arrangement :)

That's good! Could we get an estimated time frame on when it will be released? :smile:

• @Audiojunkie said:
    That's good! Could we get an estimated time frame on when it will be released? :smile:

It is planned for the next update, though I’m currently finishing off a different project, which might still take a few weeks. After that, AB3 in Xequence will be tackled for good! :)

• Thanks, Wim! As usual a most comprehensive explanation! I did some searching on my own and found Mitch at AudioDabbler and Doug at Soundtestroom helpful as well. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems Audiobus came along before inter app communication and Aum after. Aum only deals with inter app sources. They do similar things, but not every app will work with Audiobus or with Aum. Each app must have the proper internal code for Aum or Audiobus. Aum has a mixer and recorder, Audiobus not. If used together, I imagine, every contingency is covered. The videos I watched were of early versions, so maybe these things have changed.

This reminds me of VHS and BetaMax! (VHS what? BetaWho?). And still earlier, vertical and horizontal hold on early tvs (ancient Hipster). Eventually the bugs are worked out, connections made and one system rules all. I feel fortunate to come in at a time when law and order is being restored in the Wild West! A couple of years ago it seems like it was much more difficult.

CracklePot recommended Luis Martinez' drum apps to me and I have to agree they are superb craftings. I have been holding onto a Casio AT5 because it has Mideast drum patterns. That is now obviated and I can sell it (though Casio doesn't have much resale value, I understand). Luis' Mid East Drum and Soft Drummer are ideal for my needs. Thanks, Mr. Pot!

I downloaded iSymphonic for some good string sounds, which are pretty top notch, but found some patches had difficulties... Stuck notes, different volumes on black and white keys. The only two expansion Inapps I am considering are Varia (for solo violin and cello and Tosca (for choral stuff).

I am thinking of the CMP piano. Any opinions? The Ravensbrook 275 sounds better, but is it worth the extra dough? The Collossus probably sounds best, but 13 gb! Yes, one can uninstall and reinstall but I assume it takes quite a download time and thus impractical.

I would also value your opinions on the best keybd controllers. The Casio doesn't quite cut it (keybd action, velocity control). I will try my Roland FA07 today, but it is too big to travel with. Looking for a 61, I guess.

I realize this is not Xequence related stuff and should be on a general forum, but I value your opinions too much!

My teacher, Connie Crothers once had a dream... She met Jesus and Jesus said "Pray!" Then she met Bird and Bird said "Play!!" Amen!

• Thanks, Wim! As usual a most comprehensive explanation! I did some searching on my own and found Mitch at AudioDabbler and Doug at the Soundtestroom helpful as well. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems Audiobus came along before inter app communication and Aum after. They do similar things, but not every app will work with Audiobus or with Aum.
    (Internal code required). also Aum has a mixer and recorder whereas Audiobus does not. I know you suggest waiting, but the mixer part of Aum really appeals to me. Xequence lacks a mixer, correct?

CracklePot recommended Luis Martinez' drum apps to me and I can't agree more. They are superb craftings! Thanks, Mr. Pot!

Curious as to what kybd controllers you all use. My Casio doesn't seem to cut it (action, velocity insensitive) I will try the Roland FA07 today but it is too big for travel.

Also curious as to what pianos are used. I am thinking CMP for price though Ravensbrook 275 is better to my ear. Collossus maybe the best, but 13gb! Even with reinstalling the download time must be super long.

I know I should ask these questions in the general forum, but I trust you guys!

My late teacher, Connie Crothers, once had a dream. She met Jesus and Jesus said "Pray!" Then she met Bird and Bird said "Play!!" Amen!

• Thanks, Wim! As usual a most comprehensive explanation! I did some searching on my own and found Mitch at AudioDabbler and Doug at the Soundtestroom helpful as well. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems Audiobus came along before inter app communication and Aum after. They do similar things, but not every app will work with Audiobus or with Aum.
    (Internal code required). also Aum has a mixer and recorder whereas Audiobus does not. I know you suggest waiting, but the mixer part of Aum really appeals to me. Xequence lacks a mixer, correct?

CracklePot recommended Luis Martinez' drum apps to me and I can't agree more. They are superb craftings! Thanks, Mr. Pot!

Curious as to what kybd controllers you all use. My Casio doesn't seem to cut it (action, velocity insensitive) I will try the Roland FA07 today but it is too big for travel.

Also curious as to what pianos are used. I am thinking CMP for price though Ravensbrook 275 is better to my ear. Collossus maybe the best, but 13gb! Even with reinstalling the download time must be super long.

My late teacher, Connie Crothers, once had a dream. She met Jesus and Jesus said "Pray!" Then she met Bird and Bird said "Play!!" Amen!

Also curious as to what pianos are used. I am thinking CMP for price though Ravenscroft 275 is better to my ear. Collossus maybe the best, but 13gb! Even with reinstalling the download time must be super long.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Audiojunkie said:

It is planned for the next update, though I’m currently finishing off a different project, which might still take a few weeks. After that, AB3 in Xequence will be tackled for good! :)

Yay! What about Ableton LINK (Start/Stop) outside of Audiobus?

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

Yes, Audiobus came well before IAA. It was the first and only way you could play more than one app at a time practically, and also send audio from one app to another and apply FX. It introduced state saving as well. You could very easily argue that it single-handedly kicked off the iOS as a serious music making platform. Also that it lit a fire under Apple’s butt, resulting in IAA. Apple botched that terribly of course - IMO.

Just to correct one thing though, Audiobus provides a software development toolkit (SDK) that is free for developers to integrate into their apps, which provides the tools to implement the magic Audiobus stuff (such as IAA state saving and the Audiobus task toolbar). Unfortunately not all developers add in support for all available features, such as state saving.

AUM doesn’t provide or require an SDK. It just supports the protocols that Apple (and others such as Ableton) have made available over time, and does some extremely clever things with them. It doesn’t have state saving for IAA apps though as that isn’t something Apple or anyone else except Audiobus has provided.

The AUM developer has provided an extremely valuable SDK called AudioShare, which is a musicians filing system basically. Before Apple introduced the Files app, there was practically no way to save and access files between music apps without iTunes and a computer.

See the pattern? The little guys implement ways around iOS’s limitations, then Apple eventually catches up. Usually much less elegantly, but at least as part of the core OS, and with standards that move the platform forward.

Sorry, got off the main point there...

You were asking me about pianos. I’m no help there. I can tell a good piano from a crappy one but not a great one from a really great one, and I’d never be willing to part with the storage needed for a really great one. BeatHawk’s Acoustic Grand is as good as I’ll never need. Now if you stumble across a used Strat at some Turkish bazaar, and want some opinions about guitar FX apps ... maybe then I can help!

• wimwim
    edited May 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    They do similar things, but not every app will work with Audiobus or with Aum.

Virtually all will work with both. But some don’t implement all features or work as well as others.

AudioBus has a mixer, though not as powerful as AUM’s.

Xequence has no mixer because it doesn’t process audio in any way. It only sends notes and parameters. There is one midi-only app, very different than Xequence, that implements a mixer. It does it by reducing / increasing velocity. That app is called Quantum, but it’s like an arpeggiator souped up with a Quantum hyper probability drive. Probably not your bag. Interesting feature though.

• edited May 2018

@wim eek. IF it wants to emulate a mixer, it should at least do it using CC 7 :o

• God, so sorry for all the multiple posts!! Audiobus' computer brain was f***ing with me! Refused to post, kept freezing, etc.
    Apologies!

• @SevenSystems said:
    @wim eek. IF it wants to emulate a mixer, it should at least do it using CC 7 :o

Why eek? It's not emulating a mixer. It's just providing a unique way to manipulate a performance. It can be very effective for synths running presets that react uniquely to velocity changes. Some of the developer's live performance videos using the technique are pretty stunning.

• Yeah the whole Quantum interface is centered around the multi purpose mixer. It is a throw back to the original analog step sequencers. It is fun to squiggle your finger through the faders or flick them up and down and so forth.

You should check it out if you don’t know it, @SevenSystems. It works great when you record Quantum into Xequence. They are good friends on my iPad. B)

• @wim @CracklePot Alright, sorry, I should take a look at Quantum first. It sounded like an emulation of a traditional mixer via MIDI... I actually had (and still have) plans to implement that in Xequence, after all there's still room on the Instruments screen :) Each fader could just send CC #7... it's not exactly the same as a "real" mixer because most synths / DAWs etc. place CC 7 BEFORE the channel inserts, but it would often come close... too bad there's no standardized MIDI message to control the actual faders (i.e., instrument volume after all effects).

• I have a technical question: How do I go about learning the program change commands for ios synth applications? There is a small blurb in the quickstart guide about program changes. I have never worked that into an IOS composition and don't know how that works. I pretty much exclusively use auv3 in bm3 but I can imagine using it would help cut down on CPU load so I'm curious how it works. Thanks!

• @shiftsynth1 how apps react to Program Changes is completely up to the individual apps. A Program Change is simply a number between 0 and 127 that the destination app can interpret however it wants... the most obvious way though is to simply switch between presets 0 thru 127 :) Of course, not all synths have exactly 128 presets or they are not numbered, so it is more complicated in reality.

It is best to check the documentation of each synth / app to see what they do with Program Changes.

There’s also “Bank Select”, which can send an additional two numbers between 0 and 127 each (Xequence currently doesn’t support these, but will in the future), but again, it completely depends on the destination app what happens.

I agree a standard protocol for negotiating PCs and BSs (for example, along with preset names) would be great, but unfortunately, I don’t think MIDI defines one, and two-way communication between two MIDI devices is difficult anyway...