Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• @SevenSystems said:
    @aaronpc that would be doable, however, I'm generally hesitant to implement gestures that aren't obvious / standard... I'm more of a button person :) there's lots of apps that suffer from discoverability problems due to overuse of gestures...

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

Please no obscure Gestures!

• @aaronpc I still appreciate your suggestion. What I would probably do, and have considered from the start, is a special "toolbar mode" for the iPad version, which would pull a few often-used options out of the menus, and directly into the toolbars (as there's still plenty of empty space there on the iPad).

• So I have had this for a couple of days now. I am all ready to go all in with the IAPs. This app is a dream to work with. Extremely well thought out workflow, and great, powerful features.

This app reminds me of AUM when viewed from an outside perspective. You look at these apps and think, “I don’t need that, I can do that already with what I already have.” After you get them and start using them, you wonder how you ever got along without them.

Xequence is highly recommended by me now. It will only get better, too.

• Xequence is even excellent to use together with AUM to create loops for music production or as a midi controller. Drum maps and keyboard as cc controllers are full screen, have velocity triggering, are fully tweakable. Try drum maps with Gadget’s Abu Dhabi or Bilbao, or use keyboard two rows to control Zeeon or Model D and create various parts. Then record everything though AUM or use Xequence to construct your song. This app is really nice and adds to this it looks so sexy and modern, just like AUM or Brambos apps do. I like nice GUI, they’re inspiring and seems to say: play me!! :smiley:

• edited April 2018

@CracklePot @Janosax appreciate it a lot, thanks. Best motivation to keep going! :)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @aaronpc I still appreciate your suggestion. What I would probably do, and have considered from the start, is a special "toolbar mode" for the iPad version, which would pull a few often-used options out of the menus, and directly into the toolbars (as there's still plenty of empty space there on the iPad).

That sounds like a fine compromise. Two fingers would never work on a mobile anyway.

• Hi John and thanks very much for the kind comments.

I've just researched AniMoog's MIDI functionality and here's what I found:

• You can record Animoog's keyboard into Xequence after buying the "MIDI Expansion Pack".
    • However, you will only be able to record the actual keys played, NOT the up/down movement after touching a key (this is implemented in Animoog through a technology called "Aftertouch", which is currently not supported by Xequence, but I hope to get this in as soon as possible;
    • Note that Animoog's MIDI implementation is rather buggy; after enabling MIDI In in Xequence and setting "Sources" to "Any", you have to kill Animoog (swipe it up from the multitasking screen) and relaunch it in order for Animoog to "see" Xequence in the "MIDI" page of its settings.

I hope to get recording of aftertouch implemented soon, which would enable you to record all aspects of Animoog's keyboard.

Totally true,the exact you said is what happened.
    I purchased Animoog's Midi expansion,and needed to restart it in order to see Xequence as an OUT,but then,it worked like a dream.
    Now,I saw it my self that Xequence can't record the after touch ,but all other parameters work just fine.
    if you manage to implement that ...I don't know...I owe you countless coffee cups(already anyways) :D
    Thanks a lot for the help and all your work :)

• @JohnEcho yeah, I want Aftertouch as well. It'll probably not be possible to edit recorded aftertouch as I can't think of a sensible editing interface for that, but recording and playback will certainly be possible at one point.

• @SevenSystems said:
    I want Aftertouch as well. It'll probably not be possible to edit recorded aftertouch as I can't think of a sensible editing interface for that, but recording and playback will certainly be possible at one point.

I'll just brain-storm loudly here...
    'Channel Pressure' could be edited as regular CC's
    For polyphonic aftertouch things could get complicated but here goes...
    Select a 'key' in the piano-roll and show the 'Pressure Events' for the selected key in the same style as CC's.

My 5c's as I don't even own Xequence yet...

• @Samu said:
    I'll just brain-storm loudly here...
    'Channel Pressure' could be edited as regular CC's

Sorry, yeah, I meant PolyPressure / polyphonic aftertouch obviously... sorry my brain is currently fried.

For polyphonic aftertouch things could get complicated but here goes...
    Select a 'key' in the piano-roll and show the 'Pressure Events' for the selected key in the same style as CC's.

Yes that would be the simplest and most obvious way, but is it practical? Before I implement editing functionality for PolyPressure, I'd really like to have a good concept. But it's on the roadmap :)

My 5c's as I don't even own Xequence yet...

You should. My personal recommendation, no conflicts of interest whatsoever ;)

• edited April 2018

I don't use poly pressure much, but I think editing could be from an event list. The list would show the time, note number, and pressure value of each message captured, and each could be edited individually. Probably a long list and tedious to edit, so there should be some form of multi-select/transform as a group function. You could break out each poly pressured MIDI note as a separate "track" of data to be edited like other CC data for just one note at a time. Is this worth the time of programming? I'm not a programmer, so I may be off here.

• @lovadamusic that would be another option... but also not optimal from a workflow point of view... I think filtering by pitches (notes) and then re-using the regular CC editor is still the best option, and easiest to implement programming-wise.

I'll keep thinking about it :)

• @SevenSystems I think in the app Ribbons, they use the Channel per Touch approach. I realize this works well for a playing surface used live, but not sure how it could effectively be implemented in a recording/editing use case without it getting too complicated. But you would obviously know way better than I if this could be viable method.

I can see that there is no clear way to deal with all of the poly aftertouch data in a simple editing interface. But if anyone can do it, I am sure you can. :)

• New update out now - version 1.7.1

• edited April 2018

@SevenSystems' comments grabbed my attention so I had a look at Xequence.
    Bummer it's only available for iOS10+
    Also, why would I slave a DAW with audio tracks to Xequence?
    The more sensible route is the other way round:
    The DAW with audio tracks is the clock master, and Xequence is the Midi Clock slave.
    Xequence has no audio tracks, so that should be a rather easy task to implement.

Slaving a DAW with audio tracks to MIDI clock does work if done right, but chasing synchronisation of audio tracks to MIDI clock or Ableton Link means the audio tracks have to be time-stretched in realtime, and that can become very CPU-hungry and requires a few seconds to be in perfect sync. For example, BlocsWave and Loopy HD do it in two steps: Immediately play a lo-fi stretched audio track version while in the background, a high quality stretched version is rendered and activated when done.
    Only n-track Studio for iOS supports MIDI Slave Sync with unsliced audio tracks, as do some loopers like Loopy HD, LP-5 and Quantiloop.
    Auria and Cubasis only offer MIDI clock synchronisation as a master for a reason, although slave sync is certainly less of an issue with the latest powerful iDevices.

• It'll probably not be possible to edit recorded aftertouch as I can't think of a sensible editing interface for that, but recording and playback will certainly be possible at one point.

You already did way more than enough.
    What if you applied it the way Animoog apply it in it's keyboard?By saying applying, I suppose it translates to you as sleepless coding nights :D
    But again,Xequence is already close to perfect to me.
    It will be perfect when I purchase the IAA and I can only see it go better.
    I got boring,but congrats and thanks again :)

• @rs2000: I think we had this discussion already a few months ago in a different thread? :) not sure... yes it's definitely easier to slave when there's no audio tracks involved, but it's not done in an hour either... it's not entirely impossible that MIDI sync slaving arrives someday in the app. :)

@JohnEcho is there a way to edit recorded data inside Animoog at all? I only have the iPhone version to check currently...

• @SevenSystems said:

@Janosax said:
    Nice tip thanks!! True regions feature could be also pretty nice, allowing to make a song quickly by copy/paste whole regions without selecting parts. I know it’s already more or less doable by selecting loop, but true markers will allow for even faster workflow.

Yeah... will keep it in mind...

BTW: An added bonus of using "marker parts" this way is that you can also just select any of your "marker parts" and then set the song loop to it... kind of "loop presets"...

If you added regions, this would also be relatively easy (at least in UI terms) way of having key and time signature changes.

• Trying out the new PolyHymnia Demos project. I can't seem to get it to send MIDI to more than one synth. I have Phasemaker on MIDI Ch. 1 and Mersenne on MIDI Ch 2.

Also I can't delete an Instrument. Left swipe doesn't work. No obvious way to do it.

Would really like to see how PolyHymnia is supposed to work before spending money on the IAP. Right now it's very hard to use and doesn't seem to work with multiple MIDI channels/instruments.

• Wait... but regular Aftertouch works and is recorded as CC correct? I guess I could test this tomorrow in the studio.

Xequence is so simple yet powerful and amazing. Thanks for making it!

• @JohnEcho is there a way to edit recorded data inside Animoog at all? I only have the iPhone version to check currently...

I don't think there is a way to edit your recording inside Animoog via it's recorder(if this is what you mean).
    There is a "record" "play" "overdub" "copy" paste" if I remember well.
    I got you a screenshot yesterday,but I have it on the iPad and im currently at work.
    Will send it to you when I return ;)

• tjatja
    edited April 2018

@GovernorSilver said:
    Trying out the new PolyHymnia Demos project. I can't seem to get it to send MIDI to more than one synth. I have Phasemaker on MIDI Ch. 1 and Mersenne on MIDI Ch 2.

Also I can't delete an Instrument. Left swipe doesn't work. No obvious way to do it.

Would really like to see how PolyHymnia is supposed to work before spending money on the IAP. Right now it's very hard to use and doesn't seem to work with multiple MIDI channels/instruments.

Did you create both instruments in Xequence?

Deleting is the most easiest thing you can imagine: No common or uncommon gesture, but a button!

Settings of the instrument, and then the garbage can.
    You need to delete tracks first, that use the instrument to be deleted.

But you are right, strangely, the last track cannot be deleted.
    Seems like a bug?

• Just landed off the fence to try out the new IAP in this version. Took me a while to hook things up in my brain but lots of fun once I had Model D hooked up.

If I could ask for one change @SevenSystems would it be possible to increase the contrast for the keyboard note names on the iPhone version? I can’t read them until I press one.

Thanks for bringing a great sequencer to the iPhone!

• @Jocphone said:

If I could ask for one change @SevenSystems would it be possible to increase the contrast for the keyboard note names on the iPhone version? I can’t read them until I press one.

Sure, can you show me a screenshot just to be sure which place you mean? (there's several places and situations where note names are shown and it also depends on various other options...)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Jocphone said:

Sure, can you show me a screenshot just to be sure which place you mean? (there's several places and situations where note names are shown and it also depends on various other options...)

Excellent. This is where I meant, in the keyboard. Tiny font and low contrast are not good for older eyes.

• @Jocphone said:
    Excellent. This is where I meant, in the keyboard. Tiny font and low contrast are not good for older eyes.

Thanks, will look into it.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Jocphone said:

Thanks, will look into it.

Thanks for responding so quickly. As a general notion might be useful to keep the contrast up on all displayed text, especially for the iPhone sized screens.

Overall am loving Xequence, it's the first iOS app that has caused me to be late for work in a while.

• @Jocphone great to hear. Regarding the contrast, trying to keep everything well readable as much as possible... however on the piano keys, especially when you use scales, it's a piece of information that probably isn't needed so often or quickly so readability didn't have top priority there... but it'll be revisited!

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Jocphone great to hear. Regarding the contrast, trying to keep everything well readable as much as possible... however on the piano keys, especially when you use scales, it's a piece of information that probably isn't needed so often or quickly so readability didn't have top priority there... but it'll be revisited!

If you make the text above white the contrast will be fine. In general if you want to check readability I find anything that passes WCAI AA accessibility standards for color is good. There are plenty of tools available, including one for photoshop as well as various websites.

The modulation button probably needs white text as well.

• And I also like this app.