Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• is this a universal app, or do you have to buy ipad and iphone versions seperately?

• @eross said:
    is this a universal app, or do you have to buy ipad and iphone versions seperately?

nevermind, it was just itunes being weird

• You’ll really love the simplicity and fresh UI.

@eross said:
    is this a universal app, or do you have to buy ipad and iphone versions seperately?

• i love this app. i was unsure about it since i already own modstep, but what sold be was that keyboard. it’s sounds simple, but a velocity keyboard like that mixed with fast sequencing piano roll. it kicks ass.
    This is simple enough to fast, but complex enough to be very effective. this developer nailed it!

• xequence does not seam to be showing up in other apps as a midi source. also i don’t see it in audiobus as a midi input. anyone else having this issue?

• edited October 2017

@eross said:
    xequence does not seam to be showing up in other apps as a midi source. also i don’t see it in audiobus as a midi input. anyone else having this issue?

We have removed the MIDI source in the last update, because it was not used anyway... that's why you're not seeing it in other apps. It shouldn't matter though, because your destination app (synth, etc.) should show up in Xequence's Instruments screen, where you can select it? Or does this not work with a particular app?

EDIT: To better explain this: there's two ways MIDI connections can be made in iOS Virtual MIDI: Either a destination app chooses to listen to a specific MIDI source from another app, OR the SOURCE app decides to send MIDI to a specific destination app (that is how Xequence works). I agree it can be confusing.

However, as long as your target app presents a MIDI destination, it should be selectable in Xequence even though Xequence doesn't present a MIDI source to other apps.

• @SevenSystems said:

@eross said:
    xequence does not seam to be showing up in other apps as a midi source. also i don’t see it in audiobus as a midi input. anyone else having this issue?

We have removed the MIDI source in the last update, because it was not used anyway... that's why you're not seeing it in other apps. It shouldn't matter though, because your destination app (synth, etc.) should show up in Xequence's Instruments screen, where you can select it? Or does this not work with a particular app?

EDIT: To better explain this: there's two ways MIDI connections can be made in iOS Virtual MIDI: Either a destination app chooses to listen to a specific MIDI source from another app, OR the SOURCE app decides to send MIDI to a specific destination app (that is how Xequence works). I agree it can be confusing.

However, as long as your target app presents a MIDI destination, it should be selectable in Xequence even though Xequence doesn't present a MIDI source to other apps.

yeah the synth i am sending it to is not showing up in the xequence app either. its poison 202. and it can see it. weird. maybe i’ll reboot my phone and that will help

• @eross said:
    yeah the synth i am sending it to is not showing up in the xequence app either. its poison 202. and it can see it. weird. maybe i’ll reboot my phone and that will help

That's weird, we've tested Poison 202 extensively... are you sure that "Background Audio" is enabled in Poison-202, and "Virtual MIDI In Port" is also enabled there?

• Launch Xequence first then Poison 202. It should work then. But go to Poison-202 settings and enable midi. It should show up in the midi in of Poison-202 as network session.

@eross said:

@SevenSystems said:

@eross said:

• edited October 2017

Actually, you need to launch Poison first, because otherwise, you can't see or select it in Xequence, as it only shows currently running apps. What you select in "Midi In Source" doesn't matter, you can even select "No Device". I know, it's confusing, but that's the way Virtual MIDI is!

As I said, there's two ways two apps can connect via MIDI. Either a synth app has a virtual input port, and other apps then "knowingly" send to it, OR an output app (say a Sequencer) has a virtual output port, and then other apps "knowingly" connect to that input port. Xequence always goes the first route (it actively sends MIDI to other apps' input ports), it doesn't have an output port at all, that's also why you can't see it in other apps. I know. It's terrible. I myself (as a developer!) needed days or weeks until I finally understood this!

• My bad you’re right the apps need to be open first then Xequence can detect them. Thanks!

• edited October 2017

Hhmmmm.....so it’s only a 4 track sequencer for $6, then for another $6 it’s unlimited..... why didn’t they just be upfront and charge $12 for it ? Kinda on the fence about buying it now because I already have so many full Daws for IOS. I think it should be at least be 8 tracks out of the box.

• @Strizbiz said:
    Hhmmmm.....so it’s only a 4 track sequencer for $6, then for another $6 it’s unlimited..... why didn’t they just be upfront and charge $12 for it ? Kinda on the fence about buying it now because I already have so many full Daws for IOS. I think it should be at least be 8 tracks out of the box.

We originally planned to make the base app cheaper and price the IAP slightly higher, which is probably more adequate as you said. However, Xequence was released exactly at the same time iOS 11 was, and there was appearently a bug in the App Store that made IAP prices not show for some people, so we had a fear people would feel "ripped off" by not seeing the (higher) IAP price before buying.

This seems to be ironed out now, and we will probably adapt the pricing.

However, even for $5.99, you get a really nice keyboard and controller with optional motion control, a very usable pianoroll / controller / velocity editor, and the 4 arranger tracks, all in a neat and robust package B) so we think it isn't the worst deal either (some synth apps cost $15). Whichever your decision, we'd be happy to have you on board sooner or later :)

• @wim said:
    Feature suggestion:

It would be super helpful if the notes from other patterns in the same timeline position for an instrument could optionally be displayed lightly colored in the background while editing a pattern. Say you have a track for kick and snare and are now laying down hi-hats in another track. Having a reference for what is going on in the other patterns while entering notes is very useful.

Some DAWs refer to these as "ghost notes" but that's not a great term since it can also mean something different, particularly to drummers.

Having the option to choose which instrument(s) show in the background would be even better. For instance, to show a drum pattern when creating a bass line, as a reference to where the kick hits.

+1

And yes, only as option

• For anyone still listening on this thread, I just wanted to give a little update:

Unfortunately we have been hit very hard by Hurricane Ophelia and we're now without electricity since Monday, and will probably be until at least Sunday.

We had already prepared a nice update with a few very important Bugfixes and improvements regarding MIDI in and out, making it much more stable and almost perfect ;)

As soon as the Irish electricity gods manage to restore power to our premises, we'll drop the update as soon as we can :)

Thanks for your patience!!

• Wow be safe and hopefully all will be resolved soon :)

@SevenSystems said:
    For anyone still listening on this thread, I just wanted to give a little update:

Unfortunately we have been hit very hard by Hurricane Ophelia and we're now without electricity since Monday, and will probably be until at least Sunday.

We had already prepared a nice update with a few very important Bugfixes and improvements regarding MIDI in and out, making it much more stable and almost perfect ;)

As soon as the Irish electricity gods manage to restore power to our premises, we'll drop the update as soon as we can :)

• @SevenSystems said:
    Actually, you need to launch Poison first, because otherwise, you can't see or select it in Xequence, as it only shows currently running apps.

But isn't this counter intuitive? Let me explain: If I understand what you are saying, the sound sources must be launched before the sequencer can be launched. If that is the case, let's say that I've launched my synth and then launched Xequence, but then I want to add another track but use a drum instrument. Are you saying that we must close everything, open our synth and drum instruments, and then open Xequence again?

Wouldn't it be better to be able to just open the drum instrument and then Xequence will notice that a new instrument has been added and allow it to be selected and used within Xequence? (Granted, I have not had a chance to do any Xequence work since the last update, due to my job, so maybe it is not as I'm saying?)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Wow be safe and hopefully all will be resolved soon :)

@SevenSystems said:
    For anyone still listening on this thread, I just wanted to give a little update:

Agreed! Be Safe!!

• edited October 2017

@Audiojunkie: Of course you can open any number of apps after opening Xequence without closing or reopening anything :D that would be disastrous if it weren't the case.

I was just saying that Xequence only sees apps that are currently open when you select a destination.

Enjoying the "time off" as best as I can here, thinking about all the stuff that can be added once electricity returns ;)

• I was just saying that Xequence only sees apps that are currently open when you select a destination.

That makes much more sense!! Haha!! :smiley:

Enjoying the "time off" as best as I can here, thinking about all the stuff that can be added once electricity returns ;)

That's good!! Hopefully power will be restored soon!!

• I’m a bit of a noob and This is my first straight midi sequencer I have used for iOS.

How do I record the midi I have recorded in xequence I to audio in another daw/app that handles audio?

• edited October 2017

@ruggedsmooth said:
    I’m a bit of a noob and This is my first straight midi sequencer I have used for iOS.

How do I record the midi I have recorded in xequence I to audio in another daw/app that handles audio?

Hi. That depends a lot on your particular setup. If you're using AUM to host all of your synth apps, for example, it would be as easy as just recording AUM's master channel, and then setting Xequence to the beginning of your song and hitting Play, and then just letting the song run through (you will need to trim the recorded audio of course). In essence, you just need to make sure you can get a summed audio stream from all apps that produce sound for your project, start recording that stream, and then letting the whole song play through in Xequence.

• @SevenSystems top job, Xequence is such a powerful and intuitive app - I’ve really enjoyed exploring this over the last couple of days and pleased I finally worked my way through this thread. So powerful driving Gadget and AUM. Loving this one :)

• @Trueyorky said:
    @SevenSystems top job, Xequence is such a powerful and intuitive app - I’ve really enjoyed exploring this over the last couple of days and pleased I finally worked my way through this thread. So powerful driving Gadget and AUM. Loving this one :)

Thanks a lot, if you have any further questions, this thread is probably the best place to ask right now :)

• Best iPhone iPad Sequencer!

@Trueyorky said:
    @SevenSystems top job, Xequence is such a powerful and intuitive app - I’ve really enjoyed exploring this over the last couple of days and pleased I finally worked my way through this thread. So powerful driving Gadget and AUM. Loving this one :)

• Any update on AB3 or Link support? Thanks!

@SevenSystems said:

@Trueyorky said:

Thanks a lot, if you have any further questions, this thread is probably the best place to ask right now :)

• @SevenSystems said:

@Trueyorky said:

Hey, I’m loving the app, thanks for all your hard work on it :) I’m using it to drive Auria Pro midi channels and it’s just so friendly to use.

Is it possible to disable the looping timeout? I get lost in sound design and I’d like it to keep going forever and ever, until I say stop.

I guess Link and AB3 are in the pipes.

The only other suggestion I’d make is to have the option of pressing and sliding the bpm to change it. Not sure if this is a tricky one to implement, but a lot of apps use this technique for adjusting bpm and it’s very intuitive.

Thank you

• Was thinking of those exact two things right now as I was driving Zeeon and Funk Drummer. Hopefully easy fixes.

@tomato_juice said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Trueyorky said:

Hey, I’m loving the app, thanks for all your hard work on it :) I’m using it to drive Auria Pro midi channels and it’s just so friendly to use.

Is it possible to disable the looping timeout? I get lost in sound design and I’d like it to keep going forever and ever, until I say stop.

The only other suggestion I’d make is to have the option of pressing and sliding the bpm to change it. Not sure if this is a tricky one to implement, but a lot of apps use this technique for adjusting bpm and it’s very intuitive.

Thank you

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Was thinking of those exact two things right now as I was driving Zeeon and Funk Drummer. Hopefully easy fixes.

@tomato_juice said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Trueyorky said:

Thank you

It’s the best piano roll / midi arranger I’ve used on a touchscreen. Love it. Chopping sections and moving notes has never been so easy :)

Other hopes for the future - midi file import/export and dedicated ‘template’ saving. There are easy workarounds for both of these things of course.