Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• edited September 2017

@SevenSystems

Ahh I see. Thanks for always promptly replying I appreciate it and xequence is amazing. Lovely UI and its a really usable work flow especially on my iPhone

• Just bought. Im quite happy with modstep (admittedly a different time line) for midi atm but this is very nice. I love midi sequencers and at this price/universal/footprint/dev's responsiveness, I had to give my token financial backing. Without reading the manual I managed to get in and setup some notes and automation. Intuitive, well designed and pretty. I think Im going to like this.
    One question that hasnt been asked, I think. Why the 10.3 restriction? And chance this can be made to run on ios 9? The reason is this, I think people might have older ipads and they are going to want to run midi on (their least powerful) and keep the latest one for the heavy lifting. I personally love my two ipad setup running midi over a wire (which should get easier with EDAM) or via BT and I imagine Im not the only one. Sequencing on one and tweeking on the other is heaven. That and its nice to find a use for the ipad 2s/ original mini. Obviously a niche market and I understand that there has to be a cut off somewhere or maybe technical issues, the design looks like it might use special features. If its easy, maybe worth thinking about but not a big issue. Jus askin

Well done 7, Im off to review.

• edited September 2017

@Richtowns: Thanks :smile: Regarding iOS 9: There's two problems with supporting that: 1) We would have to support non-retina displays, which would cause some significant maintenance overhead, 2) Xequence would be able to run on very slow devices, like the original iPad Mini (which we tested it on, and it was at times noticably sluggish). All in all, it could be optimized to work on iOS 9, but currently, less than 10% of devices run that version, so unfortunately, we probably won't do it. But I can of course see your point in using an older device for the "cheap stuff" like pure MIDI sequencing.

• Got it working! Great thanks!

@SevenSystems said:

@wim said:
    @SevenSystems - small feature request: It would be great if loop settings were preserved with the project. The closer opening a project can be to where you last left off working the better. B)

Haha, damn someone noticed! :smile: There was some annoying implementation detail that made me not have it restore on load, but I see how it can be useful. Noted.

@MusicMan4Christ: If you load something into AUM as IAA (not Audio Unit), it will also present its virtual MIDI ports to Xequence so they will get listed there. However, if you use AUM as your host for all synths, then you should keep it all tidy and only send MIDI into AUM, and then route it to the correct plugins inside AUM. Never send to the synths directly from Xequence if they're hosted in AUM. Recipe for chaos! :neutral:

• Really wish I could continue my work on the iPad. Is there a way to do it?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Really wish I could continue my work on the iPad. Is there a way to do it?

Yes, you can. This should probably be in the manual, I might add a section.

• Connect your iPhone to iTunes
    • In iTunes, click on your iPhone, then on "Apps" in the sidebar
    • Then, in the right section, scroll down to "File Sharing"
    • In "Apps", click on "Xequence"
    • On the right, there'll be a list of your projects. Click your project, and then "Save to..." at the bottom
    • Save it on the Desktop
    • Then, connect your iPad, and do everything again, but instead click on "Add...", and then select the file from your Desktop

This will be much easier once we add "Open In..." functionality, which will let you open Xequence projects in any app you want, including emailing them etc., and vice-versa (open a Xequence project from any other app)

• Thanks! Can’t wait for all these goodies.

• Got Navichord sending some really nice chord progressions into Xequence and wow this is so awesome to be able to do this on my iPhone SE. great app!

• Hi. I'm using Chordmaps2 as an input in Xequencer. When playing chords, it triggers just fine. But when recording, it will only record a single note, not the chord.

• I just realized the same thing when playing back my recorded progression

@Blipsford_Baubie said:
    Hi. I'm using Chordmaps2 as an input in Xequencer. When playing chords, it triggers just fine. But when recording, it will only record a single note, not the chord.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I just realized the same thing when playing back my recorded progression

@Blipsford_Baubie said:
    Hi. I'm using Chordmaps2 as an input in Xequencer. When playing chords, it triggers just fine. But when recording, it will only record a single note, not the chord.

Just to clarify, you're using CM2 also? Or another app? External gear? Because it records chords no problem from within xequecers's keyboard, but not chordmaps.

• I’m recording Navichord which plays chord progressions. I actually got it synced up and it finally recorded the chord progressions. I also disabled Link and synced it via midi clock. So Xequence start stops Navichord. Once the chords where in the Xequence midi track I send the midi out to AUM hosting isymphonic. Worked out great!

I highly recommend Navichord and the new Song Mode is coming along really nicely!

• I can’t get any of Luis’ drum machinesbtovsync strart though. Trying to get the recorded chord progression to sync up with drums

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I’m recording Navichord which plays chord progressions. I actually got it synced up and it finally recorded the chord progressions. I also disabled Link and synced it via midi clock. So Xequence start stops Navichord. Once the chords where in the Xequence midi track I send the midi out to AUM hosting isymphonic. Worked out great!

I highly recommend Navichord and the new Song Mode is coming along really nicely!

I appreciate the tip but have already deleted and reinstalled Navichord several times in the past. Aside from the hung notes I frequently got, CM2 opens me up more. But the sequencer in Navichord is a really nice thing to have.

• It’s really rock solid stable on my setup and have yet to have a single crash.

• I finally got Xequence to sync up with Drum session and Auto start it when I press play on Xequence transport. Thing is, this can definitely get better with Ableton but having midi sync is nice too!

• edited October 2017

How many tracks do you get for $5?

Is the limited vs unlimited tracks, the only difference between the $5 demo and the full $9 unlock?

Edit: looks like 4 tracks for $5 and only difference for full is unlimited tracks.

Other than being universal, does this bring anything more to the table than modstep or midisteps?

• Yep that’s it. Best Sequencer for iPhone ever!

• @skiphunt said:

Is the limited vs unlimited tracks, the only difference between the $5 demo and the full $9 unlock?

After the $5 for the four-track, is it an extra $9 for unlimited tracks or is it TOTAL $9 for unlimited?

And after all this love there is still not a single video example?

• @skiphunt said:
    Other than being universal, does this bring anything more to the table than modstep or midisteps?

It’s different than those two. Modstep is clip based and MidiSTEPs is....uh can’t think how to describe MidiSTEPs. Xequence is linear. Think Cubasis without any instruments, just midi. For me the main draw is it works on iPhone. But it’s also just very well executed. Unless you’re feeling the need for something that works on iPhone, you probably don’t need it.

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:

It’s different than those two. Modstep is clip based and MidiSTEPs is....uh can’t think how to describe MidiSTEPs. Xequence is linear. Think Cubasis without any instruments, just midi. For me the main draw is it works on iPhone. But it’s also just very well executed. Unless you’re feeling the need for something that works on iPhone, you probably don’t need it.

That’s what I’m thinking. I do want something for the iPhone, but the reality is that I don’t really do all that much on the iPhone anyway. 4 tracks is also enough for my needs.

Thx for the feedback

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@skiphunt said:

After the $5 for the four-track, is it an extra $9 for unlimited tracks or is it TOTAL $9 for unlimited?

$4.99 for the base app with 4 instruments + $8.99 for IAP for unlimited instruments.

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:

On the iPhone, for sequencing only, how would this compare to aleph looper?

• @skiphunt said:

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

Meh. That’s too abstract. They both do a great job. They’re just different in approach. IL works more like ModStep (recording, launching, and looping patterns). Xequence works more like Cubasis (laying out patterns along a linear timeline). Neither is overall better than the other.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@skiphunt said:

TL;DR: $5 basic version + $9 unlimited tracks = $14 total

The $5 gives you 4 tracks that you can used to do whatever you want with--2 instruments with 2 automation tracks, or 4 instruments, each on a different channel, or 1 channel with 4 layered instruments, or 3 instruments with one automation track, or 1 instrument with 4 different pattern tracks, etc., etc., etc..... It gives you a usable taste of the power that is available. BUT.....you WILL want the unlimited version. Just accept that you want unlimited tracks.

Think of it as a $14 app. One could EASILY use of 10 tracks with a single instrument on a single channel. Remember, patterns, automation, instrument layering etc. can all have their own track, which makes for very easy control and pattern-like sequencing in a full-blown linear sequencer. It has the best of both worlds. :smiley:

P.S. I bought this app the moment I saw it, when the basic price ($5) was originally $9 (before IAP), which changed about an hour later to its current price.. I paid $4 more than everyone else....and I still don't feel bad about it. Get the full version--you won't regret it! :

• @wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@skiphunt said:

$4.99 for the base app with 4 instruments + $8.99 for IAP for unlimited instruments.

Just a slight correction (but an important one)... not 4 "instruments" or unlimited "instruments"--it's 4 tracks or unlimited tracks. The only limitation is the number of MIDI channels. You can use those tracks for anything--10 layered instruments for one midi channel (each using a track) to create a massive pad, with 10 patterns (each on its own track), with 10 clips of automation for each of the 10 midi pattern clips, etc... This is just an example, but this example could be 30 tracks for the use of just one midi channel. :smile: We need to look at the big picture of the flexibility of this thing, and what can truly be accomplished. This is why the IAP for unlimited tracks is so useful. :smile:

• I really like your explanation about patterns per track etc but would love to see this in a vid. Tutorial. I’m mostly using the iPhone but would love to see more on an iPad. Or at least see how pattern building would be used in a linear way.

@Audiojunkie said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@skiphunt said:

TL;DR: $5 basic version + $9 unlimited tracks = $14 total

The $5 gives you 4 tracks that you can used to do whatever you want with--2 instruments with 2 automation tracks, or 4 instruments, each on a different channel, or 1 channel with 4 layered instruments, or 3 instruments with one automation track, or 1 instrument with 4 different pattern tracks, etc., etc., etc..... It gives you a usable taste of the power that is available. BUT.....you WILL want the unlimited version. Just accept that you want unlimited tracks.

Think of it as a $14 app. One could EASILY use of 10 tracks with a single instrument on a single channel. Remember, patterns, automation, instrument layering etc. can all have their own track, which makes for very easy control and pattern-like sequencing in a full-blown linear sequencer. It has the best of both worlds. :smiley:

P.S. I bought this app the moment I saw it, when the basic price ($5) was originally $9 (before IAP), which changed about an hour later to its current price.. I paid $4 more than everyone else....and I still don't feel bad about it. Get the full version--you won't regret it! :

• @skiphunt said:

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

Xequencer completely blows away Aleph looper. Completely. They are two different beasts though. Aleph is a small pattern-based midi recorder; Xequencer is a full blown easy to use linear MIDI sequencer. Aside from them both using MIDI, there isn't too much to compare. :wink:

• edited October 2017

@Audiojunkie said:

@skiphunt said:

@wim said:

@skiphunt said:

Xequencer completely blows away Aleph looper. Completely. They are two different beasts though. Aleph is a small pattern-based midi recorder; Xequencer is a full blown easy to use linear MIDI sequencer. Aside from them both using MIDI, there isn't too much to compare. :wink:

Hmmm.... I probably don't need Xequence, but will put it on my watch list. if the $5 fee is just enough to get a demo taste, then I'll likely pass on this one. Don't really want to pay for a demo in case I decide it's not for me.

Thanks for the clarification though.

• Sorry for not reading all almost 300 posts, but is this app has built in effects? Why I should look into Xequence if I have already Cubasis and work mostly on ipad?