Electric guitar synth

Hi all!
I can't play electric guitar so wonder if there's any synth that sounds like an electric guitar. Thanks

«1

Comments

  • wimwim
    edited August 11

    Geoshred. As a guitar player, I don't think it sounds anything like a guitar, but I seem to be pretty much alone in that sentiment.

    Yonac Steel Guitar is pretty good. But maybe i just think that because I can't play slide guitar to save my life.

    Other's will have lots of suggestions. IMO nothing like the real thing. But if buried in the mix enough... ;)

  • Groovebox has really nice distortion you can get it sounding guitar like, not playing style though. Also Animoog can make a lot of guitar ish type stuff if you get into programming it. I don't think there's any presets though.

    It really depends on the tone you want.

  • @wim said:
    Geoshred. As a guitar player, I don't think it sounds anything like a guitar

    I know, all guitar players say the same as you. I'm happy if it sounds near a guitar. Thanks for tips

  • @db909 said:
    Groovebox has really nice distortion you can get it sounding guitar

    I prefer presets as I'm too lazy and don't have the knowledge to create my own guitar sounds. I want a typical hard rock sound. I love the sound of the 80s hard rock band.

  • Oddly, I have gotten some fairly satisfying distorted guitar sounds out of Chiangmai in Gadget. Quite by accident too.

  • @fattigman said:

    @db909 said:
    Groovebox has really nice distortion you can get it sounding guitar

    I prefer presets as I'm too lazy and don't have the knowledge to create my own guitar sounds. I want a typical hard rock sound. I love the sound of the 80s hard rock band.

    Too bad. Cause hard is what they do best. But I feel ya

  • ThumbJam, although I think Geoshred is better.

  • edited August 11

    any FM-Sound with sharp attack and some decay will do as source
    then send it through BIAS/JamUp, Tonestack, Amplitube or whatever is your favorite amp simulation with some distortion
    hard to tell from the real thing ;)

  • Love Geoshred. Regardless of how accurate it sounds, the USP for me is the playing surface - just as expressive as the real thing - for lead and melody work at least.

  • @MonzoPro said:
    Love Geoshred. Regardless of how accurate it sounds, the USP for me is the playing surface - just as expressive as the real thing - for lead and melody work at least.

    Quick question, can GeoShred be played with a midi keyboards?

  • Guitarism into ToneStack or flying haggis.

  • From what I've heard Geoshred does sound like cheesy electric guitar.

  • @fattigman said:
    Hi all!
    I can't play electric guitar so wonder if there's any synth that sounds like an electric guitar. Thanks

    GeoShred. Check YouTube, there are some really virtuous players out there...
    You can hook it up to midi or audiobus and use a real keyboard.
    Sampletank has also guitar sounds.

  • edited August 11

    The patch ‘Jazz guitar’ in Korg Modules sounds terrific!

    It’s in the ‘Triton’ IAP...

  • edited August 11

    @thesoundtestroom said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    Love Geoshred. Regardless of how accurate it sounds, the USP for me is the playing surface - just as expressive as the real thing - for lead and melody work at least.

    Quick question, can GeoShred be played with a midi keyboards?

    Think so, I'd need to check. It'd lose the slide/note bend functionality though, which for me is what makes it special and gives it expression. Plus it supports MIDI out so you can control other synths.

    One of my favourite apps - a proper instrument in its own right.

    It's actually improved my 'real' guitar playing, I've learned a lot working through scales in Geoshred and applied this to my Strat noodlings.

  • Quick question, can GeoShred be played with a midi keyboards?

    Think so, I'd need to check. It'd lose the slide/note bend functionality though, which for me is what makes it special and gives it expression. Plus it supports MIDI out so you can control other synths.

    Yup, and it's MPE MIDI compliant; popular with Artiphonists.

  • @MonzoPro said:

    @thesoundtestroom said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    Love Geoshred. Regardless of how accurate it sounds, the USP for me is the playing surface - just as expressive as the real thing - for lead and melody work at least.

    Quick question, can GeoShred be played with a midi keyboards?

    Think so, I'd need to check. It'd lose the slide/note bend functionality though, which for me is what makes it special and gives it expression. Plus it supports MIDI out so you can control other synths.

    One of my favourite apps - a proper instrument in its own right.

    It's actually improved my 'real' guitar playing, I've learned a lot working through scales in Geoshred and applied this to my Strat noodlings.

    Yeah I like the expression too, I downloaded it again yesterday to do a quick play demo but I'll see if I can midi it up too then

  • edited August 11

    @thesoundtestroom said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @thesoundtestroom said:

    @MonzoPro said:
    Love Geoshred. Regardless of how accurate it sounds, the USP for me is the playing surface - just as expressive as the real thing - for lead and melody work at least.

    Quick question, can GeoShred be played with a midi keyboards?

    Think so, I'd need to check. It'd lose the slide/note bend functionality though, which for me is what makes it special and gives it expression. Plus it supports MIDI out so you can control other synths.

    One of my favourite apps - a proper instrument in its own right.

    It's actually improved my 'real' guitar playing, I've learned a lot working through scales in Geoshred and applied this to my Strat noodlings.

    Yeah I like the expression too, I downloaded it again yesterday to do a quick play demo but I'll see if I can midi it up too then

    Haven't got a keyboard handy here at the moment, but looking at the app it's got MIDI in/out and a whole load of other MIDI options. Pretty sure I've used it with my little Korg Microkey, but didn't use it again as it didn't pick to the note bend stuff - very similar to ifretless in that respect. Had fun using Geoshred to control Animoog though, and seriously pissed off the guitarist in my last band by playing better guitar solos than he was doing.

  • Thank you all! Geoshred seems like a very expressive and cool app. I had thumbjam but I never liked the electric guitar sound in it. But when I used it with jamup as suggested by @Telefunky it started to sound quite nice.

  • @ALB said:
    From what I've heard Geoshred does sound like cheesy electric guitar.

    My initial comment may have been ill-informed and somewhat dickish. I've heard a couple of demos and they seemed to emphasize the "shredder" aspect of the app. This is great for some, but I have no desire to sound like a 15 year old in Guitar Center. Is this app easily capable of something stranger or more nuanced, or would I just be fighting it's entire reason for being the whole time? It's pretty expensive as apps go - is it capable of something more than arena rock? I'm not expecting to sound like Chet Atkins, but also don't want to be Eddie Van Halen.

  • I made a few demos using Guitarism driving GeoShred. I really like it.

    GeoShred+guitarism+Rock DM-MM4C at USA by MusicMan4Christ on #SoundCloud

  • @ALB said:

    I've heard a couple of demos and they seemed to emphasize the "shredder" aspect of the app. This is great for some, but I have no desire to sound like a 15 year old in Guitar Center. Is this app easily capable of something stranger or more nuanced

    Here's my Geoshred video, which I think is both strange and nuanced:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFLq9uHQrGU

  • @ALB said:

    @ALB said:
    From what I've heard Geoshred does sound like cheesy electric guitar.

    My initial comment may have been ill-informed and somewhat dickish. I've heard a couple of demos and they seemed to emphasize the "shredder" aspect of the app. This is great for some, but I have no desire to sound like a 15 year old in Guitar Center. Is this app easily capable of something stranger or more nuanced, or would I just be fighting it's entire reason for being the whole time? It's pretty expensive as apps go - is it capable of something more than arena rock? I'm not expecting to sound like Chet Atkins, but also don't want to be Eddie Van Halen.

    GeoShred is capable of a wide variety of sounds using the included presets. In addition, you can create your own presets and add or subtract effects, decide the configuration of your scale and how many frets/strings you have as well as other characteristics found in guitars or electric guitars. Like a real instrument, you can get more out of it with practice.

  • Ok thanks.

  • Not sure if you're wanting just lead guitar solo type sounds or not, but I've had some nice results with the Guitar Capo+ app.
    Audiobus and midi capable... Let's you play many variations of chords even with bass notes. It's a lot of fun combined with other apps. Im a guitar player, so I mostly use it when I want certain guitar chords fed to other sounds for recording. That's my recommendation even though it's not necessarily for lead, but yes...Geoshred is fantastic for that.

  • I think Garageband has a couple of choice guitar patches in it as well. Not sure yet. I think I'll check it out and get back to you on that. ;)

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guitarism into ToneStack or flying haggis.

    One of my favorite setup.
    Steel guitar is also very good.
    Then again, many synths have guitars that can be processed e.g. In Tonestack.

  • edited August 12

    None really.
    Guitarism and GuitarCapo+ can get some nice strummy chord sounds and Steel Guitar is a passable faux steel, but none of the synths sound anything like real electricguitar leads, bends, etc.
    If you really can't be bothered to learn to play guitar (seriously, it's not that hard) there are plenty of samples and loops available of real electricguitars doing the whoowhoo and wheewhee "bitchin' lead" thing. Look around.

  • One thing I underestimated about GeoShred is it's depth of modelling. Sure, it's never going to emulate the real thing but it's fun in it's own right and the playing surface is unparalleled in it's expressive potential.

    It is on the pricey side but totally worth it. Many tutorial vids on YouTube from the developers to back this up too.

    Guitarism is fun for the rhythmic stuff.

    As previously said anything through Tonestack/Bias can get the job done.

    But ... playable actual guitars can be had for very little money ... go on you know you want to, nothing beats some tactile feedback and feeling that vibration.

  • @fattigman said:
    Hi all!
    I can't play electric guitar so wonder if there's any synth that sounds like an electric guitar. Thanks

    Geo Shred
    Yonac Slide Guitar

Sign In or Register to comment.