Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - August 2017

Comments

• @DefRobot, I tottally expected an EDM song because of the siren/riser in the beginning, but instead, very good post punk/indie rock. Reminds me a little of Of Montreal, which I intend as a compliment because is one of my favourite bands. Good!

• @moff, great song, very euphoric, very accomplished. Thumbs up!

• @JeffChasteen, great distorted tones! The droning guitar at the beginning was really amazing (is it really a guitar or some other instrument?). I found it to be a song more made out of textures than of melodies, which is refreshing. Good job!

• @OscarSouth, a song made of overtones! Bravo! Very bold, and very accomplished. Cool, and could be longer, because I found myself wanting to listen more. Cheers!

• @Retzilience, enjoyed that digeridoo-like intro, and it takes a different direction when the beat arrives. Very creative techno. Liked it a lot!

• @theconnactic said:
    @studs1966 , another very good one. I don’t care if it goes on for 6+ minutes, as long as it keep grabbing my interest, and your song does. Nice job!

Thanks @theconnactic for the kind comments. Very much appreciated mate.

• @moff some nice melodic trance. When you say it's old-skool you're not kidding, this track could have been released 20 years ago, some very familiar sounds in there. However there is some great melodic content, interesting dynamics, and a driving groove so it's a fun listen. Some of the lead lines in particular are great, and the constant variety/evolution is what makes it worth listening to. Good job.

• @theconnactic What floors me every time I watch your videos is the level of your musicianship. Guitar technique doesn't usually impress me, but with you it's that rock-solid sense of rhythm that is really impressive.

My favourite bit in this one was the call-and-response between the nylon-string and the electric guitars, really cool section.

• @JeffChasteen it's probably the most minimal piece ever posted here at SOTMC. We've had plenty of experimental music over the years, but nothing quite as static as this one, which is kinda interesting since a lot of more experimental tracks overwhelm you with their craziness, but this one is far more sedate. It does evolve slowly, and it's certainly challenging to listen to, but the texture is cool and it's an interesting counterpoint to other styles of experimental music.

• @OscarSouth very nice sounding production. That bass drum is delicious, on my big floorstanding speakers it sounds incredibly rich and deep. I'll have to ask where it's sourced from.

I think the textures of the sampled overtones are very nice, just the right blend between textural and musical, and the melody you play on them is simple but beautifully haunting. What's the process for getting the overtones, are you using a high-pass filter to remove the low-end?

The piece is really nice overall, original sounds and great atmosphere (hints of the ice-cold tundra in there), it's pretty rare that I say this but I think it's a little too short. Another minute (with some more evolution) might have been nice.

• edited August 2017

Cheers all!

@richardyot I sampled the overtones from my instruments. The double bass's were pretty easy - I just touched the harmonic nodes and bowed the strings in the 'conventional' way.

With the electric bass, the different velocity layers come from plucking the string with my little finger while touching the harmonic nodes with my index, then at higher dynamics striking the harmonic node directly in a 'percussive' manner so that only the overtone struck will sound. Muting and stuff was emulated by modulating the low pass filter and the portamento sounds are a recreation of the retuner I fitted to the highest string of the the instrument.

The kick drum is a sample of a shamanic drum, which I pitched down a good deal!

• @richardyot said:
    @theconnactic What floors me every time I watch your videos is the level of your musicianship. Guitar technique doesn't usually impress me, but with you it's that rock-solid sense of rhythm that is really impressive.

My favourite bit in this one was the call-and-response between the nylon-string and the electric guitars, really cool section.

Thank you, Richard!

• @theconnactic said:
    @Retzilience, enjoyed that digeridoo-like intro, and it takes a different direction when the beat arrives. Very creative techno. Liked it a lot!

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I sat down and composed this thinking only of letting creativity plow through problems and lead freely to different directions,
    I can't reason this very quickly but I wanted you to know that your feedback helped me a whole lot understanding drum mixing, which is one of my weak spots, thank you so much.

On a side note, it seems that you give everyone here very attentive feedback, that's really commendable, the world is lacking this kinda attitude nowadays.

• edited August 2017

@Retzilience Some interesting electronica, with some cool sounds. A couple of things I think would improve the track would be to make it a couple of minutes shorter as I think it's too long to fully maintain the listener's interest, and also to maybe keep the groove going on for longer.

The beat is cool when it comes in, but when it comes back after dropping out it loses the groove and as a result just feels disjointed from the rest of the music - this makes the final third of the track much harder to listen to as there isn't that pulse keeping things together. I think if the groove was retained you could have the more experimental washy sounds on top and create a nice contrast between the weird and the catchy.

• @richardyot said:
    @Retzilience Some interesting electronica, with some cool sounds. A couple of things I think would improve the track would be to make it a couple of minutes shorter as I think it's too long to fully maintain the listener's interest, and also to maybe keep the groove going on for longer.

The beat is cool when it comes in, but when it comes back after dropping out it loses the groove and as a result just feels disjointed from the rest of the music - this makes the final third of the track much harder to listen to as there isn't that pulse keeping things together. I think if the groove was retained you could have the more experimental washy sounds on top and create a nice contrast between the weird and the catchy.

I totally read you. I'm trying to find the edge between groove and weird shit just like you said.
    I usually use some pre-made drum sessions to deal with this, but I felt that this way I will hinder myself forever, so I started trying to live sequence and mix the drums, the result ended up being a bit on the weird side and lacking a bit of groove sustainability just like you said.
    But in trying and kinda missing the point some times I do learn a lot.

Thanks rivers and oceans for your input!

• @richardyot said:
    @JeffChasteen it's probably the most minimal piece ever posted here at SOTMC. We've had plenty of experimental music over the years, but nothing quite as static as this one, which is kinda interesting since a lot of more experimental tracks overwhelm you with their craziness, but this one is far more sedate. It does evolve slowly, and it's certainly challenging to listen to, but the texture is cool and it's an interesting counterpoint to other styles of experimental music.

Richard,
    Thanks for listening and for your thoughtful response. It really did start off as an admittedly glib effort at quickly nailing a particular sound, but I did become interested in the possibilities of stillness and the calm of the loud and static. Thank you for catching that.

• @theconnactic said:
    @JeffChasteen, great distorted tones! The droning guitar at the beginning was really amazing (is it really a guitar or some other instrument?). I found it to be a song more made out of textures than of melodies, which is refreshing. Good job!

Thanks for your kind words. Not a real guitar, but an Ibanez soundfont abused in an attempt to mimic the sound of an abused guitar. No real guitars were harmed in the making of this track :) Thanks again.

• @studs1966 Cheeky little (well) number here geezer, full of Smileys and happy vibes. They always are and I bet you're sick of me saying it. So I won't. Now, being the safe, boring bastard that I am, I never really got into 'happy dance music' until this Club, and you. As the resident dance music maestro, what's out there in Clubland these days that you'd recommend I listen to? What's going on the turntables in the hot venues on your island? Trying to understand dance music with a view to cracking one out in the future. Cheers. :)

• @rickwaugh Listened to this taking a cigarette break from gardening yesterday. Had white winged butterflies as company. Threw the headphones away, cranked it up, and watched the show. You know those moments.. you know, it all fits. Well that was one of them. Stunning. Nature and technology/music in perfect harmony. A delicate offering Sir, one that massages the temples. Can feel your inspiration behind this song. Technically proficient (as usual) and played by an artist who can walk the listener to a better place. :)

• @Shaken&;Stirred Mad. Different. Excellent. Riff-ruck ready, I'm with Def on this and agree your song is a gem sir. Luscious length (ooh er) which demands repeated listens because we HAVE to soak it ALL up and, I WANT to hear it AGAIN. A lot happening and how you separate/pan to create a space for each band member to shine is brilliant. The thumping chorus is wedged tight inside an ear tube and wont budge. Can hear this on the radio, and a festival crowd chanting: "We can't grow." Production is top shelf and a reminder for me to work on air and space..... Or just give up. Great tune. :)

• @Bluepunk said:
    @Shaken&;Stirred Mad. Different. Excellent. Riff-ruck ready, I'm with Def on this and agree your song is a gem sir. Luscious length (ooh er) which demands repeated listens because we HAVE to soak it ALL up and, I WANT to hear it AGAIN. A lot happening and how you separate/pan to create a space for each band member to shine is brilliant. The thumping chorus is wedged tight inside an ear tube and wont budge. Can hear this on the radio, and a festival crowd chanting: "We can't grow." Production is top shelf and a reminder for me to work on air and space..... Or just give up. Great tune. :)

Thanks Blue, glad you dug it, and gave it a few listens. Really nice feedback, and your comments are always entertaining to read, and take a few reads to soak in. Not as entertaining as your vids, but entertaining nonetheless. Oh..."give up"? Nah! With your punk roots, I think you know better. Cheers!

• @Retzilience said:
    Hi there.

I'm waiting for some gear to arrive, and I'm a bit anxious about it,
    So I decided to do a track on the old convoluted ways with minimal iOS software and a simple idea,

It's mostly about doing things the way they have to be done, instead of how you'd like them,
    So I guess it's a sincere piece. :)

Hey, def got some cool stuff going on in here! I agree that it would benefit from being a little shorter. And, being instrumental, I would like it to take me on some sort of journey, but I'm having trouble hearing the themes, finding the common threads. I do like a lot of what's going on, I think it just needs a little more work to trim the fat and tie it together. I look forward to more next month!

• @fattigman The talent in this Club. Phew. Enjoyed the contrast from last month in both your music and video. Stripped back but keeping that family fun vibe you have patented, you are free to demonstrate what a talented musician you are. Your enthusiasm/love of music/life sparkles with every strum/smile. Have you played a bass ukulele? Heard one for the first time earlier this year and the sound/power from the wee mite blew my spikes off. And so did your performance sir. Like I said: Talent :) Is that grey object tied on the string part of the instrument?

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@Bluepunk said:
    @Shaken&;Stirred Mad. Different. Excellent. Riff-ruck ready, I'm with Def on this and agree your song is a gem sir. Luscious length (ooh er) which demands repeated listens because we HAVE to soak it ALL up and, I WANT to hear it AGAIN. A lot happening and how you separate/pan to create a space for each band member to shine is brilliant. The thumping chorus is wedged tight inside an ear tube and wont budge. Can hear this on the radio, and a festival crowd chanting: "We can't grow." Production is top shelf and a reminder for me to work on air and space..... Or just give up. Great tune. :)

Thanks Blue, glad you dug it, and gave it a few listens. Really nice feedback, and your comments are always entertaining to read, and take a few reads to soak in. Not as entertaining as your vids, but entertaining nonetheless. Oh..."give up"? Nah! With your punk roots, I think you know better. Cheers!

Should've known better from the age of 6. I'd love to have the time to review all the songs by vid and one month, I may be lucky and find it. Until that unlikely spare time appears, the fitness vids I'll store away (until December then flog them at a Christmas market somewhere in Suffolk) and concentrate on vid song reviews. That's what the gaffer pays me for after all. Cheers. :)

• @Bluepunk said:
    Fwor Feisty Fret Females. Fitness. Fun. Fucking around.

Man, your sister's kind of hot. Got to cool myself down a bit over here.......

• @JeffChasteen, I feel like I've been sitting on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier all day. I like the tone, but I did need it go SOMEwhere..... ;)

• @OscarSouth, that's a lovely little bit. It could go some places, some more build. A crazy bridge. Be very cool all together.

• @Retzilience, great sounds and ambience. The percussion was amazing, and seemed to provide the greatest interest and life in the piece. Very cool.

• @Bluepunk said:
    @rickwaugh Listened to this taking a cigarette break from gardening yesterday. Had white winged butterflies as company. Threw the headphones away, cranked it up, and watched the show. You know those moments.. you know, it all fits. Well that was one of them. Stunning. Nature and technology/music in perfect harmony. A delicate offering Sir, one that massages the temples. Can feel your inspiration behind this song. Technically proficient (as usual) and played by an artist who can walk the listener to a better place. :)

Thanks kindly, @Bluepunk. That made my day.