Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - August 2017

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• I know its a bit long....... Its not my fault I like sharing a ''12"inch''............... Version.
    Enjoy.........

• This was going to be a legato guitar piece, but it just didn't sound very good, so redid it as synth. Written in Notion, including percussion, exported as midi, imported into Auria. It's a bit experimental, inspired by the sound of wind in the leaves as I was walking through the woods; one of my favourite sounds.

• @studs1966 said:
    I know its a bit long....... Its not my fault I like sharing a ''12"inch''............... Version.
    Enjoy.........

Very pro sounding mix, and I think this track suits its genre perfectly. It's not the kind of music I listen to much, so 7+ minutes was stretching it for me, but you're aware that it's long. :) I will say this... maybe I'm nitpicking, but the first 30 seconds or so before the full ensemble kicks in - something in there sounded harsh to my ears. I'm listening on the Audio-Technica cans I use for a lot of mixing mixing. I don't know if there is some frequency there that is not favorable to my ears or what, and once the rest of the song kicks in, it's fine. It could be just me, we'll see if anyone else hears it. Nice job as always, though. cheers!

• @rickwaugh said:
    This was going to be a legato guitar piece, but it just didn't sound very good, so redid it as synth. Written in Notion, including percussion, exported as midi, imported into Auria. It's a bit experimental, inspired by the sound of wind in the leaves as I was walking through the woods; one of my favourite sounds.

ha! that started as a legato guitar piece? Is there any guitar in there at all? :) niece piece, I think you nailed the wind in the leaves vibe. I was also reminded of the woodpecker that used to bang on my neighbors house every mating season! Lots going on there and you did a great job of making it all fit together cohesively. Good treatment of space, "depth of field" if you will, with your use of reverb and delay. well done!

• This one started in Gadget (Recife, Chicago, Fireenze, Darwin, Dublin and Rosario), then moved to Auria. The new Kaspar synth and Launchpad make appearance in the bridge. I'm currently moving away from starting tracks in Gadget to using BM3 for next month's track.

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@studs1966 said:
    I know its a bit long....... Its not my fault I like sharing a ''12"inch''............... Version.
    Enjoy.........

Very pro sounding mix, and I think this track suits its genre perfectly. It's not the kind of music I listen to much, so 7+ minutes was stretching it for me, but you're aware that it's long. :) I will say this... maybe I'm nitpicking, but the first 30 seconds or so before the full ensemble kicks in - something in there sounded harsh to my ears. I'm listening on the Audio-Technica cans I use for a lot of mixing mixing. I don't know if there is some frequency there that is not favorable to my ears or what, and once the rest of the song kicks in, it's fine. It could be just me, we'll see if anyone else hears it. Nice job as always, though. cheers!

Thanks bud. :)

• @richardyot told me it's ok to post ukulele songs here, so here we go. The only iOS related with this song is that it's recorded with an iPad. No effects, no autotune, no nothing so it may sound a bit out of tune sometimes.

• edited August 2017

@fattigman said:
    @richardyot told me it's ok to post ukulele songs here, so here we go. The only iOS related with this song is that it's recorded with an iPad. No effects, no autotune, no nothing so it may sound a bit out of tune sometimes.

That was so good :) and you kept perfect time when your son made an unexpected cameo B)

• @realdavidai said:

That was so good :) and you kept perfect time when your son made an unexpected cameo B)

Thanks man, he does that quite often so I'm used to it :smiley:

• Might be worth a read.

• @fattigman
    Wonderful live performance with passion! Well done for carrying on with distractions, a true professional!

• @Shaken&;Stirred
    Wow! One of the best I've heard in SOTMC.
    Cannot fault it, excellent song, production and mix.
    Reminded me of all sorts - Eminem and Beastie Boys to name a few.
    Going on my playlist :)

• @rickwaugh A pretty song, very delicate! Wish I had the deftness and control to do a piece like this. Very eastern flavour. Some very good reverbs going on. Lovely.

• @DefRobot said:
    @Shaken&;Stirred
    Wow! One of the best I've heard in SOTMC.
    Cannot fault it, excellent song, production and mix.
    Reminded me of all sorts - Eminem and Beastie Boys to name a few.
    Going on my playlist :)

Dude, you have made my day, thanks for the kind words, and for the "follow" on SC. Cheers!

• @DefRobot said:
    @fattigman
    Wonderful live performance with passion! Well done for carrying on with distractions, a true professional!

Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it :smile:

• First of all, a big thanks to SOTMC members who have helped me along with dipping my toe into Auria production. You know who you are ;)
    I've felt like a bit of a newbie with Auria and Fabfilters, so thanks for all the help!
    So here's my first Auria song 'Doing what's Right'. Sketched in Cubasis and GB but then pretty much totally re-recorded in Auria, which was quite a learning curve!

• @studs1966, that should have been released right around 1976. That is such classic disco. Is there still a market? Great tune, my one quibble, there is percussion at the beginning, which suddenly disappears. Then the drums come in. Just a little jarring. Other than that, super mix.k

• @fattigman, nicely done. Hell, autotune is an abomination. You sounded great.

• @DefRobot, really nice mix, really great sounds. Guitar is truly crunchy. Love the break, great change up. What was played, and what was midi?

• edited August 2017

@Shaken&;Stirred, that is a totally crazy bit of wonderful. You're not going to be top forty, but oh well, I'm pretty sure you knew that. :D What a mix. With everything going on there, everything was beautifully placed. Love the song , the lyrics, the voice. Manic perfection.

• @rickwaugh said:
    @fattigman, nicely done. Hell, autotune is an abomination. You sounded great.

Thank you @rickwaugh

• @rickwaugh said:
    @Shaken&;Stirred, that is a totally crazy bit of wonderful. You're not going to be top forty, but oh well, I'm pretty sure you knew that. :D What a mix. With everything going on there, everything was beautifully placed. Love the song , the lyrics, the voice. Manic perfection.

Seriously, if there was a prize, @Shaken&;Stirred has knocked it into a cocked hat.
    Blew me away and made me feel a little bit inferior B)
    Listened to it again and again.
    Raises the bar for me and that's a great thing. Feel like I have to up my game. I know it's a slightly different genre, but it's stuff I love.

• edited August 2017

@rickwaugh said:
    @DefRobot, really nice mix, really great sounds. Guitar is truly crunchy. Love the break, great change up. What was played, and what was midi?

Thanks! @rickwaugh

I'm unsure on the mix as it's one of those I've pored over and over listened, being my first Auria mix.

I played the guitars through Bias Fx. Bass with a direct input then compression and eq.
    Drums started in GB then mixed to use Drumagog and a lot of fiddling,
    Think I may use that in parts next time, rather than a whole track.
    Fabfilter Twin for main keys (midi) and FX.

• @DefRobot said:

@rickwaugh said:

Seriously, if there was a prize, @Shaken&;Stirred has knocked it into a cocked hat.
    Raises the bar for me and that's a great thing. Feel like I have to up my game. I know it's a slightly different genre, but it's stuff I love.

@rickwaugh - thanks for the high marks, and I was totally entertained by the way you worded it! I'm glad you guys are digging it.

@DefRobot - the learning process you went thru last month with Auria, I'm going through this month with BM3. I'm really liking it so far, but I feel a little off my game with the major shift in workflow. So where "Roots are Cracked" has so much going on, I might be taking the "Less is More" approach this month!

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@DefRobot said:

@rickwaugh said:

@rickwaugh - thanks for the high marks, and I was totally entertained by the way you worded it! I'm glad you guys are digging it.

@DefRobot - the learning process you went thru last month with Auria, I'm going through this month with BM3. I'm really liking it so far, but I feel a little off my game with the major shift in workflow. So where "Roots are Cracked" has so much going on, I might be taking the "Less is More" approach this month!

Different tools do different jobs and if you don't learn how to use that chainsaw, you could very well do some damage.
    I like the less is more comment, as I think that will be the basis of my next experiment. I threw the kitchen sink in again, as is my downfall and I think it muddied the mids, but hey ho. It's all learning and fun.

• @rickwaugh said:
    @studs1966, that should have been released right around 1976. That is such classic disco. Is there still a market? Great tune, my one quibble, there is percussion at the beginning, which suddenly disappears. Then the drums come in. Just a little jarring. Other than that, super mix.k

Thanks matey....... I think Disco never really went away.......... It mutated to be House music......... Now dance music has run its course, & people have run out of ideas, this style is making a comeback.......... Now they are calling it........ "Nu Disco!".......... ;)

• @studs1966 said:

@rickwaugh said:
    @studs1966, that should have been released right around 1976. That is such classic disco. Is there still a market? Great tune, my one quibble, there is percussion at the beginning, which suddenly disappears. Then the drums come in. Just a little jarring. Other than that, super mix.k

Thanks matey....... I think Disco never really went away.......... It mutated to be House music......... Now dance music has run its course, & people have run out of ideas, this style is making a comeback.......... Now they are calling it........ "Nu Disco!".......... ;)

Interesting. Not wanting to sound like an old fart, but a lot of the EDM stuff middle daughter listens to is dull, and does sound like the ideas are gone.

So, breaking out the three piece white suit yet? :D

• edited August 2017

Well it was only £2.99 on Kindle. I'm about two-thirds of the way through, and for me anyway it's jolly interesting.

Tracy Thorn sits in popular consciousness as having a rather beautiful voice, which of course she does, it's very soft, soothing and smooth. But reading her own thoughts about her voice, all the insecurities, technical shortcomings, the lack of live performance technique etc... it shows that even someone whose voice is considered very good struggles with some aspects of singing, and that the voice is fickle instrument.

One of my favourite passages is a conversation she has with Romy Madley Croft from the xx, about watching the X Factor and seeing there are lots of people out there who are technically far better singers than they are, and how they (the professional singers) can't do those kinds of vocal histrionics. And for me that is quite an interesting debate, between art and technique (and it's not just related to singing but all art forms).

Tracey Thorn can be criticised quite easily from a technical standpoint, as she explains herself throughout the book: limited vocal range, little projection, voice too quiet for live performance (even when amplified), She's a studio singer rather than an accomplished live performer. But then again she wrote an era-defining song in Protection, so who the fuck cares? :)

Another strand that goes through the book is style vs. authenticity, and this one is also really interesting to me. Because funnily enough a lot of really stylised vocalists are considered more authentic somehow. She draws examples from punk, but this applies across the board IMO. Sixties soul sounds authentic, but listen to Marvin Gaye or Ben E. King or Ottis Redding and they're hugely stylised singers: those little rasps, the falsetto embellishments, it's really stylised stuff that somehow helps convey emotion, and it's the emotion that feels authentic, not the actual vocal style which is quite contrived and artificial. Or Kurt Cobain, was there ever a more stylised singer? But the raw emotion his voice conveys sounds infinitely more authentic than any number of vocal whoops Whitney Huston could pull off, because one serves the song whereas the other is just an exercise in technical prowess. Elliott Smith and Sam Beam were/are very stylised vocalists with a unique sound, but again they feel real somehow.

Authenticity is a slippery thing, and what sounds authentic in a voice is not necessarily "natural", but rather is a creation of the singer. Now that's an interesting concept I think, one you never really hear talked about because as listeners we rarely take the time to figure out what a singer is actually doing.