Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is Kaspar Friendly?

2»

Comments

• I'm loving Kaspar and love Poison too. Both are pretty essy to program, Poison probably the easier of the two, just because Kaspar has more options and is that bit deeper. I wasn't a huge fan of the Poison presets but quickly put together a range of my own sounds. I find those on Kaspar to be quite inspiring, so horses for courses. I would recommend either (or both)!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    OK. Had to come back to add my tuppenceworth: Only half an hour in but I find it to be the most inspiring thing I've played in a monkey's uncle. Very clear UX and thus very easy to start writing songs with....definitely proof that one man's bacon is another man's pig...

How does it compare to Layr? From the vids it looks like a similar thing, so I'd expect it would be capable of the same sort of noises.

May or may not be as fully featured (whatever) but the design /access for the average bear is a lot more straightforward. Turning the layers on and off builds a song in the moment. As regards rolling your own, haven't begun, but again seem to be lots of options. I admire Layr, I think it's a deep and impressive piece of software and when I'm invited on Desert Island Disks I may decide to take it along as my luxury to thereafter spend many solar-powered years working on a suitable thesis. Before that happens I also intend to write some songs.

Thanks Boss, sounds like a good bread-and-butter synth then, and being AU is a bonus.

• AU and an intro price... nicer than at gunpoint but just as effective. You win Yonac.

• @supadom said:
    I want a new AU synth for BM3 noodling but I'm on the fence with both Poison and Kaspar. I couldn't get much out of Magellan which makes me doubtful about Yonac's offering. On the other hand Poison's palette seems a bit narrow.

If Thor went AU that would be a non-brainier.

I used to like Poison, but it's not the most friendly synth for backing up your own sounds. You are right though. What Poison does, it does well, it just is not an all rounder.

While it's early days with Kasper, it seems to have a pretty wide palette. I'm holding final praise until I've made some decent presets without the wash of FX on the presets!

Viking and WaveMapper are still my favourite all rounders in AU

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@supadom said:
    I want a new AU synth for BM3 noodling but I'm on the fence with both Poison and Kaspar. I couldn't get much out of Magellan which makes me doubtful about Yonac's offering. On the other hand Poison's palette seems a bit narrow.

If Thor went AU that would be a non-brainier.

I used to like Poison, but it's not the most friendly synth for backing up your own sounds. You are right though. What Poison does, it does well, it just is not an all rounder.

While it's early days with Kasper, it seems to have a pretty wide palette. I'm holding final praise until I've made some decent presets without the wash of FX on the presets!

Viking and WaveMapper are still my favourite all rounders in AU

Would be interesting to see what bass sounds can be mustered out of this one.

You're right, somehow developers think that FX wash = awesomeness. I like it raw personally.

• Such cynicism. :D Yeah, the built-in presets kinda suck. Anyways, after some playing around, I can easily see this synth becoming my new bread-and-butter to join Poison, Synthscape, and Mood. Here are some rather simplistic examples of what the synth can do.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z8ziu6lftw33uk1/AACD1gU5I4D2eGZuPK5bkAIGa?dl=0

The cheesy trance lead is actually six synth parts split by keyzoning. The upper portion consists of four synth parts creating the lead. The bottom portion consists of two synths, the arpeggiation of which is played by holding down a single note. The notes were programmed in Cubasis.

The Scarborough Fair lead is two of the eight synth parts creating a bell sound and me playing it live, tuned at 436Hz, utilizing the "tape" screen, normalised in AudioShare. Not bad!

I haven't even dug into the Morph section yet, but it'll be perfect for Ambient.

(Side note to @Sebastian and @Michael . Can you update this forum so I can upload .m4a files? Don't want to upload to Soundcloud

• @AudioGus said:
    AU and an intro price... nicer than at gunpoint but just as effective. You win Yonac.

:D

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Such cynicism. :D Yeah, the built-in presets kinda suck. Anyways, after some playing around, I can easily see this synth becoming my new bread-and-butter to join Poison, Synthscape, and Mood. Here are some rather simplistic examples of what the synth can do.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z8ziu6lftw33uk1/AACD1gU5I4D2eGZuPK5bkAIGa?dl=0

The cheesy trance lead is actually six synth parts split by keyzoning. The upper portion consists of four synth parts creating the lead. The bottom portion consists of two synths, the arpeggiation of which is played by holding down a single note. The notes were programmed in Cubasis.

The Scarborough Fair lead is two of the eight synth parts creating a bell sound and me playing it live, tuned at 436Hz, utilizing the "tape" screen, normalised in AudioShare. Not bad!

I haven't even dug into the Morph section yet, but it'll be perfect for Ambient.

(Side note to @Sebastian and @Michael . Can you update this forum so I can upload .m4a files? Don't want to upload to Soundcloud

Very artistic of you :)

Dropbox lets you play the files, so no worries.

• iPhone version expected?

• After more playing, I only have one real issue with Kasper - My usual setup of AB / AUM / Gadget / BeatHawk becomes a crackle fest when I add Kasper :'( I'm not on the highest quality setting and at 256. Seems my Air2 is showing its age!

• edited July 2017

@idexis Cool beans. :smiley:

Anyways, here's an expansion of the cheesy trance lead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngxxtoi5bfema6p/cheesy trance.m4a?dl=0

All instruments are instances of Kaspar.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    After more playing, I only have one real issue with Kasper - My usual setup of AB / AUM / Gadget / BeatHawk becomes a crackle fest when I add Kasper :'( I'm not on the highest quality setting and at 256. Seems my Air2 is showing its age!

How do you chain AB / AUM / Gadget / BeatHawk and then Kaspar?

• Very nice name :D :D :D

• @tja said:

Very nice name :D :D :D

LOL! :D

• I don't have any issue with someone providing their honest opinion about a synth, even if they don't like something I really enjoy. But obviously all of us are often looking for different things in a synth. I know many hard-core synth fanatics own dozens (or hundreds!) of synths, and are understandably only interested in one that breaks new ground or has a completely unique sound. KASPAR looks great to me: next level AU support, potentially massive sound, bread and buttery, and from a company I like. Picking it up as we speak. :)

• @Tovokas said:
    I don't have any issue with someone providing their honest opinion about a synth, even if they don't like something I really enjoy. But obviously all of us are often looking for different things in a synth. I know many hard-core synth fanatics own dozens (or hundreds!) of synths, and are understandably only interested in one that breaks new ground or has a completely unique sound. KASPAR looks great to me: next level AU support, potentially massive sound, bread and buttery, and from a company I like. Picking it up as we speak. :)

Sweet. :) I love the hell out of it myself, but I know not everybody will like it. They aren't obligated to either. Different flavours for different people. :)

As a synth head, Kaspar successfully blends deep synth programming with ease of use in a pretty good way. What many people may not realise is the morphing pad is a form of vector synthesis. You can specify your own path to play over and over again as other parameters evolve over a period of time. Tonight, I'll be getting precious little sleep. I might've created some simple shit like a cheesy trance lead, simple bass, kick, claps, closed hat, and open hat, but tonight is drone time. :D

• After more playing, I only have one real issue with Kasper > @tja said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    After more playing, I only have one real issue with Kasper - My usual setup of AB / AUM / Gadget / BeatHawk becomes a crackle fest when I add Kasper :'( I'm not on the highest quality setting and at 256. Seems my Air2 is showing its age!

How do you chain AB / AUM / Gadget / BeatHawk and then Kaspar?

Gadget is linked to AUM in Audiobus. This is so that I can use the side transport bar from AB while using live instruments in AUM. Gadget essentially is my backing track. My live instruments are in AUM. AB then saves the state for quick retrieval. AUM saves are used to change instruments for each track. I only use AU instruments and fx in AUM so no IAA ghosts.

BeatHawk I use in AU form as just an instrument.

• I'd say Kaspar is one of the friendliest ... really great UX design, intuitive and easy to use yet allowing a good deal of complexity. could become one of my favorite synths on iOS.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Gadget is linked to AUM in Audiobus. This is so that I can use the side transport bar from AB while using live instruments in AUM. Gadget essentially is my backing track. My live instruments are in AUM. AB then saves the state for quick retrieval. AUM saves are used to change instruments for each track. I only use AU instruments and fx in AUM so no IAA ghosts.

I am too dumb.

You couldn't possible make a screenshot of AB pages and AUM?

Thank you very much

• @tja said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I am too dumb.

You couldn't possible make a screenshot of AB pages and AUM?

Thank you very much

• tjatja
    edited July 2017

Ah.
    OK.
    Thanks.

And nothing is controlling all of those Apps?
    You just select them and play something in them, recording in AUM?

Or is there some modstep or other App sending MIDI to all of them?

• @tja said:
    Ah.
    OK.
    Thanks.

And nothing is controlling all of those App?
    You just select them and play something in them, recording in AUM?

Gadget is my backing track. I do the beat, bass and any odd synths bits in that. I then select and play sounds on the synths in AUM. I can record any synths in AUM easily.

It's kinda like having a little band rig for making demos that I can later transfer it all to Auria if I ever get something I want to improve (rarely happens these days lol).