Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is Kaspar Friendly?

Intrigued by the "tape" button and wondering how I'll be able to hold out ....

Comments

• @ExAsperis99 said:

The tape is just to load a song or record. Nothing fancy. After a few minutes of presets, my very initial thoughts are it's no Animoog.

• @oat_phipps said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

The tape is just to load a song or record. Nothing fancy. After a few minutes of presets, my very initial thoughts are it's no Animoog.

High bar.

• He's a friendly ghost isn't he ?

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@oat_phipps said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

High bar.

Yeah, it's difficult to find real character in this synth. Will spend the rest of the night looking though.

• Wow. This small thread is helping me stay high up on the fence...

• Tough crowd in tonight!

• Some seem to like the presets. Personally I've only found a few I like and that give me the feeling of what this synth is truly capable of :) Obviously one mans turnip is another mans parsnip.

I have to admit I can see the potential

• I'll just be honest and say I think it sucks. Had a very uninspiring night with it. Will be deleted soon, so I'll keep the negativity out of the threads from now on. Enjoy.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I'll just be honest and say I think it sucks. Had a very uninspiring night with it. Will be deleted soon, so I'll keep the negativity out of the threads from now on. Enjoy.

That's the great thing about iOS - not only do we lose little trying stuff at these prices, we also have quite a range of decent stuff to choose from :)

• I agree that the presets are fairly disappointing (for me anyway, not my sort of thing). It is so easy and intuitive to program though.

I like it.

• OK. Had to come back to add my tuppenceworth: Only half an hour in but I find it to be the most inspiring thing I've played in a monkey's uncle. Very clear UX and thus very easy to start writing songs with....definitely proof that one man's bacon is another man's pig...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    OK. Had to come back to add my tuppenceworth: Only half an hour in but I find it to be the most inspiring thing I've played in a monkey's uncle. Very clear UX and thus very easy to start writing songs with....definitely proof that one man's bacon is another man's pig...

How does it compare to Layr? From the vids it looks like a similar thing, so I'd expect it would be capable of the same sort of noises.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    OK. Had to come back to add my tuppenceworth: Only half an hour in but I find it to be the most inspiring thing I've played in a monkey's uncle. Very clear UX and thus very easy to start writing songs with....definitely proof that one man's bacon is another man's pig...

How does it compare to Layr? From the vids it looks like a similar thing, so I'd expect it would be capable of the same sort of noises.

May or may not be as fully featured (whatever) but the design /access for the average bear is a lot more straightforward. Turning the layers on and off builds a song in the moment. As regards rolling your own, haven't begun, but again seem to be lots of options. I admire Layr, I think it's a deep and impressive piece of software and when I'm invited on Desert Island Disks I may decide to take it along as my luxury to thereafter spend many solar-powered years working on a suitable thesis. Before that happens I also intend to write some songs.

• KASPAR is a game changer.

Everything is available through AU. That includes the Morph page, Layer mix page, FX edits, OSC Filter LFO Mod Arp & Chord page. Even the prefs like tuning A=4xx

Everything is cc mapable down to every parameter in every FX slot. The FX slots have Tonestack quality and can be switched in their signalflow.

Each of the 8 Layers can be assigned to be played by a different midi channel.

Alas the lfo´s don´t go into audio range, but they are fun with some extras they offer.

The mod destinations are mind-boggling plentiful.

I could continue to rave about this synth, its UI, its features and possibilities.
    For me personally this synth means that i can let go of some hardware synths that i have and maybe get an iPad pro in case my air2 will be maxed out by this kaspar.

Last night while waiting for the release i noticed that the upgrade to mothership v3 tonestack is on sale too.

Enjoy the Kaspar, i will.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Exactly. I don’t know what the hell is going on here :D it’s fabulous for composition.

• @dreamrobe said:
    KASPAR is a game changer.

Everything is available through AU. That includes the Morph page, Layer mix page, FX edits, OSC Filter LFO Mod Arp & Chord page. Even the prefs like tuning A=4xx

Everything is cc mapable down to every parameter in every FX slot. The FX slots have Tonestack quality and can be switched in their signalflow.

Alas the lfo´s don´t go into audio range, but they are fun with some extras they offer.

I could continue to rave about this synth, its UI, its features and possibilities.
    For me personally this synth means that i can let go of some hardware synths that i have and maybe get an iPad pro in case my air2 will be maxed out by this kaspar.

Last night while waiting for the release i noticed that the upgrade to mothership v3 tonestack is on sale too.

It is brilliant, I don't know why some people don't understand how you just make a snap judgement on a synth that you have had for like a couple of hours, at least give it a few days and see how you feel then

• @thesoundtestroom said:

It is brilliant, I don't know why some people don't understand how you just make a snap judgement on a synth that you have had for like a couple of hours, at least give it a few days and see how you feel then

Like my partner's grandchildren, some just like to make a big show about throwing their new toys out of the pram ;)

• @thesoundtestroom said:

@dreamrobe said:

I think some people listen to the presets and their own general feel of layout and go with it. I personally wasn't keen on much of the presets, but soon found the layout and feature set to be top notch.

So, for me this is mostly a programmers synth, unless you happen to like the presets as they are. I've definitely found that it's an easy synth to get around and put motion into the sounds.

Besides while it's nice to know others like your own taste in synth goodness, I rarely take much notice now of if somebody likes something or not. If they say it's bug ridden, then I'm more careful. At these prices though the odd bum purchase won't break the bank lol :)

• It's the first snyth in my AU-collection with midi-learn implemented. That alone makes it a very nice addition -I have it just for couple of minutes but found factory sounds which are felling very analougish - warm and nice. I'm very happy with my purchase.

• Here's my few early tips for this app:

Try using the Backwards Loop on sounds with a morph path - sometimes this can change a sound I've not liked into something I do!

Try making normal Organ sounds or other standard sounds - then using the morph and spare sound slots, make some subtle background movement.

It's a CPU hog on older iPads so beware!

Some of the presets use short attack and click like sounds to help make up the whole sound, but some seem to make undesirable clicky sounds (either that or my iPad is struggling to run this with other apps running too!)

If using the sliding onscreen keyboard, notes stick on occasion

• Does it have anything like spawn from Magellan for making patches?

• @dreamrobe said:

I enjoyed Doug's play through actually I thought the quality was good if a little over-effected as is the case with some of Yonacs presets (I own all their stuff so it can't be too bad ;)).

Good to hear it has the usual level of tweakability and modulation, going to spring for this one and get to know it from scratch.

• The presets don't demonstrate what this synth can do.

It sounds great. If you can program your own sounds this is a powerhouse for iOS.

Great oscillator waveforms with waveshaping. Great multi mode filters with a large variety. Advanced envelopes and modulation. And vector type synthesis.

This is like a massive subtractive/additive/vector synth all in one. I am getting great sounds on my own. Ignore the presets.

• This sounds like the chicken not only crossed the road but escaped the fox
    Sounds like the pig is frolicking in the clover and escaped the dinner plate
    Sounds like........

• Definitely gonna buy this one when im back home. Morphing, layering, easy interface plus its AU = MUST HAVE.

• @locosynth said:
    The presets don't demonstrate what this synth can do.

It sounds great. If you can program your own sounds this is a powerhouse for iOS.

Great oscillator waveforms with waveshaping. Great multi mode filters with a large variety. Advanced envelopes and modulation. And vector type synthesis.

This is like a massive subtractive/additive/vector synth all in one. I am getting great sounds on my own. Ignore the presets.

Yeh pretty much the same here from my first hour's tweaking. The presets are OK as a starting point but the engine underneath is more than capable.

Chalk up another Yonac winner for me.

I can confirm the CPU usage is considerable though, my iPad Pro 9.7 is showing around 20% for a single instance of one patch. Complex stuff so probably understandable but worth considering for potential purchasers with older kit.

• edited July 2017

Little stability test with Kaspar and other AU before I get out of bed :D

• It’s not animoog or model 15, but I think there’s buried treasure in here. With the ability to layer so many different sounds, I think you could get some massive omnisphere like patches. It’s a sound designers dream.

The included presets are just ok. Not very inspiring.

But it’s AU! definitely worth a ten spot.

With bm3, this, and NeoSoul keys studio, this will be quite the expensive month.

• I want a new AU synth for BM3 noodling but I'm on the fence with both Poison and Kaspar. I couldn't get much out of Magellan which makes me doubtful about Yonac's offering. On the other hand Poison's palette seems a bit narrow.

If Thor went AU that would be a non-brainier.

• mood?