Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Counterpoint: iMPC Pro

Comments

• imo bm3 is far from an mpc and is closer to beathawk, and maschine than an mpc workflow, I don't think they are pursuing the same workflow, and now that bm3 is giving a headknod to ableton It looks like a maschine w/ableton spice.... where as the new mpc live is like an mpc with ableton spice..
    looks like ableton is getting into the spice business.

• The spice must flow!

• fear is the mind killer :)

• Well i never got anything done with it because it always crashed and didnt save everything i made. Even after the crashing issue was claimed to have been fixed. I did try to make something with it many times, but always the same thing.. It was just waste of time and money. And especially annoying because i really wanted it to work. Now i dont care about it, because bm3 just does everything much better

• @RustiK said:
    Retronyms is amazing.

I still use iMPC orig app as well.

I love Hook.

I look Looperverse.

I got BM3.

First impression, unfortunately, same as BM2 for me.

I never made one whole song with it.

I also thought for $20 INTRO price meaning a $40 app I would get a real synth and not be expected to pay $4.99 per synth type............sample style player..................

I like the approach that Intua is taking. I've got synths out the wazoo. Big synths from the big boys that make the big sounds. I did not need Intua to add yet another. What I did need was a powerful sampling environment which allows me to gather all of those powerful synths together, sample from them, external sources, etc. The multi-track, multi-mode environment makes it easy to manage this. The initial release is missing a few features and there are some bugs, but Intua has a long track record of providing solid, frequent updates.

• edited July 2017

@Dham said:

I like the approach that Intua is taking. I've got synths out the wazoo. Big synths from the big boys that make the big sounds. I did not need Intua to add yet another. What I did need was a powerful sampling environment which allows me to gather all of those powerful synths together, sample from them, external sources, etc. The multi-track, multi-mode environment makes it easy to manage this. The initial release is missing a few features and there are some bugs, but Intua has a long track record of providing solid, frequent updates.

+1

And from talking with @mathieugarcia , they are not planning on making bm3 some abandonware, but putting effort to improve it even further.

This should be the approach with any music app that wants itself to be taken seriously. Sadly some companies are more after quick profits(and only make updates that could prevent further sales) than investing to their apps long term to really make a great product.

• Pinging again to @Retronyms

iMPC Pro update coming soon?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Pinging again to @Retronyms

Adding my pong to that ping.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Since they did not respond i guess i can. Lol.
    Yes very soon. I did find bugs in the latest beta related to mpc software export and sent the info in. Not sure if thats retronyms or Akai related tho

• tbh, as someone who used an MPC2000 for the better part of a decade before I switched to the desktop route, when I first used the IMPC, I found it to be nothing what so ever like the workflow of an MPC, same thing with the IMPC Pro. I used to use my MPC2000 with external synth modules, mainly the Roland JV 1080, and it was just so fast getting things done. With the IOS IMPC apps you cant even use it to sequence external synths, which pretty much just makes it a sampler/drum machine, not a midi production center ( which MPC stood for before they switched to music production center )
    Beathawk was kind of my beatmaker of choice because I really like the songmode/arrangment section, and that you can have either one sample assigned to a pad, or and entire kit or piano, I just wanted it to have a synth built into it too.
    One thing I didnt like about either, was there is no metronome in play mode, only record, because when im setting the tempo I dont want to always be in record mode, or something I want to practice along with the metronome before I actually record. I know its a small thing for most but I would prefer th option to hear it in play mode.

As far as Beatmaker 3 goes, one launch day I got it and liked it on day one, though I thought, well maybe it isnt going to change the music production game on IOS as we know it, but 3 days later, after figuring a lot of things out, I'm really loving and appreciating what it does. especially working with patterns, and the sampler is better than any other IOS sampler Ive used. I'm not going to use it for any and everything, I'll probably export and mix in Auria pro, logic or protools, but its going to get a LOT of use from me!

• @RustiK said:
    Retronyms is amazing.

I still use iMPC orig app as well.

I love Hook.

I look Looperverse.

I got BM3.

First impression, unfortunately, same as BM2 for me.

I never made one whole song with it.

I also thought for $20 INTRO price meaning a $40 app I would get a real synth and not be expected to pay $4.99 per synth type............sample style player..................

Actually Im not mad at it not having a synth, the fact that it has audio unit support more than makes up for it, now I have several synths to chose from and use, I'm sure you have some audio unit synths?
    Personally I dont buy anything from Restronyms, I have a couple things they worked on, like the IMPC stuff, but I just dont get why they are sooooo against Audiobus support, I know Looperverse has it but thats it, and I passed on that too because I dont do Retronyms, they just completely lost any support fro me.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    The spice must flow!

@kobamoto said:
    fear is the mind killer :)

Both from EON and both tracks are samples from the movie DUNE
    Altough I still like the spice must flow I always found the (bass) sound very flat

• @Strizbiz said:
    tbh, as someone who used an MPC2000 for the better part of a decade before I switched to the desktop route, when I first used the IMPC, I found it to be nothing what so ever like the workflow of an MPC, same thing with the IMPC Pro. I used to use my MPC2000 with external synth modules, mainly the Roland JV 1080, and it was just so fast getting things done. With the IOS IMPC apps you cant even use it to sequence external synths, which pretty much just makes it a sampler/drum machine, not a midi production center ( which MPC stood for before they switched to music production center )
    Beathawk was kind of my beatmaker of choice because I really like the songmode/arrangment section, and that you can have either one sample assigned to a pad, or and entire kit or piano, I just wanted it to have a synth built into it too.
    One thing I didnt like about either, was there is no metronome in play mode, only record, because when im setting the tempo I dont want to always be in record mode, or something I want to practice along with the metronome before I actually record. I know its a small thing for most but I would prefer th option to hear it in play mode.

As far as Beatmaker 3 goes, one launch day I got it and liked it on day one, though I thought, well maybe it isnt going to change the music production game on IOS as we know it, but 3 days later, after figuring a lot of things out, I'm really loving and appreciating what it does. especially working with patterns, and the sampler is better than any other IOS sampler Ive used. I'm not going to use it for any and everything, I'll probably export and mix in Auria pro, logic or protools, but its going to get a LOT of use from me!

Did you tried the new Mpcs?

• @Strizbiz said:

Hear hear!

• @Dubbylabby said:

@Strizbiz said:
    tbh, as someone who used an MPC2000 for the better part of a decade before I switched to the desktop route, when I first used the IMPC, I found it to be nothing what so ever like the workflow of an MPC, same thing with the IMPC Pro. I used to use my MPC2000 with external synth modules, mainly the Roland JV 1080, and it was just so fast getting things done. With the IOS IMPC apps you cant even use it to sequence external synths, which pretty much just makes it a sampler/drum machine, not a midi production center ( which MPC stood for before they switched to music production center )

no, they look cool but Im leaning towards being completely mobile, as in if Im not near any electricity I can still use it. My brother has the MPC touch, which isnt new , but its cool , but you still need power to use it. Im thinking about getting the MPC Studio black to use with my MacBook Pro, since It can be power by my Mac. But the MPC X is REALLY tempting, lol.
    The only piece of hardware I use a lot that needs power is the Arturia Microbrute. I used to have a full studio that took up the whole room, but I got rid of everything down sized, I was in a touring band last year and wanted to go mobile and Im loving it. Ive been using the Ipad for close to 4 years now and Im just amazed how far its come in that time.

• edited July 2017

@Strizbiz said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@Strizbiz said:

no, they look cool but Im leaning towards being completely mobile, as in if Im not near any electricity I can still use it. My brother has the MPC touch, which isnt new , but its cool , but you still need power to use it. Im thinking about getting the MPC Studio black to use with my MacBook Pro, since It can be power by my Mac. But the MPC X is REALLY tempting, lol.
    The only piece of hardware I use a lot that needs power is the Arturia Microbrute. I used to have a full studio that took up the whole room, but I got rid of everything down sized, I was in a touring band last year and wanted to go mobile and Im loving it. Ive been using the Ipad for close to 4 years now and Im just amazed how far its come in that time.

But Live model has battery!
    Anyways I'm agreed with your approach about full mobility with or without a plug-need machine. Also I have invested in this kickstarter campaign to use some 9V gear with usb battery.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48955335/ripcord-the-plug-n-play-anywhere-usb-power-cable

• @Dubbylabby said:

@Strizbiz said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@Strizbiz said:

But Live model has battery!
    Anyways I'm agreed with your approach about full mobility with or without a plug-need machine. Also I have invested in this kickstarter campaign to use some 9V gear with usb battery.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48955335/ripcord-the-plug-n-play-anywhere-usb-power-cable

YOU ARE LYING!!!!!!! REALLY???? MPC Live has a battery???!!!!!!!! How did I miss that!!??

• ok....just revisited Akais site....I need the MPC live now, lol.

• Buy it, master it and come back to share your thoughts, mate.

@kobamoto it's your man. I think him was the person who pointed it some many times until I record in my mind :bawling:

• @ExAsperis99 +1 for you posting Eon. Grateful that people recognize music from the beginning days. That's such a great record. Sorry for the off topicness.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Hey guys, yes! iMPC Pro update has a huge list of bugs that were fixed. We are going to release it most likely next week. Here is a list of all of our updates that we've included:

"Aside from a randomly occurring crash (among others) which has been fixed, it is also more efficient than previous releases. Here is a complete breakdown of what else we've changed in this release:

• Fixed crashes inside Timeline when dealing with recorded rapid pad taps
    • Fixed crash in sample editor's "chop to pads" when adjusting threshold and rightmost pads are selected
    • Fixed bug in sample editor's "chop to pads" feature that could leave the last slice without a proper end handle
    • Fixed note repeat "buzz" glitch when using "natural" quantization (time correct)
    • Export to MPC Desktop software now correctly supports Chop to Pads
    • 3D Perform in Tune mode no longer sticks after it is turned off
    • Flux Link recording now copies accurately instead of creating buzzing when duplicating sequences
    • Current swing and quantization recording settings save with the session
    • Improved MPC Element/Fly support (only the currently selected bank now lights the pads on the Element)
    • Fixed "phantom notes" bug that can happen when a sequence is duplicated which contains a note-off at the very end
    • The session browser's left-hand side menu now has a cleaner presentation, and a bug has been fixed where tapping the pencil icon loaded the session instead of renaming it
    • Fixed problem in which queueing a sequence in Song mode may not keep the pad lit after it switches to the new sequence
    • Timeline switches between tracks better (fixed stale audition pad issue)

And, finally, we have added a new feature that improves the workflow: The current swing and quantization recording settings save and restore with the session."

Let us know if you have any questions. - Taylor

• @Retronyms thank you Taylor, look forward to the iMPC Pro update.

• thanks Taylor appreciate it

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    The spice must flow!

• question Taylor, when will impc pro be universal?

• @kobamoto said:
    question Taylor, when will impc pro be universal?

never, most likely

• @Retronyms Thanks Taylor. Despite our inherent prejudice against (the few) products that have chosen not to become AB compatible, there's no question that iMPC Pro offers a lot of possibilities. At this point, delivering on stability is probably the most important thing to be done, so this update is welcome and I look forward to it (and to using iMPC Pro more).

• Glad to hear that this app hasn't been abandoned. The included sound library is excellent and makes impc pro well worth the money. AudioShare import would be great but looks unlikely to be added. I can understand why retronyms want us to use their system but they would likely sell a lot more copies if they gave us the option to use AudioShare!

• edited July 2017

it's actually not that bad in this context, though a bit wierd in circumventing some limitations ;)
    First of all you have to accept their naming scheme and folder structure - which is ok.
    To get access at all to edit facilities, there must be a sound on the pad.
    Recording some dummy noise from the internal mic doesn't help much, for this always ends in the mic recording folder.

So better move one of the Akai sounds to the pad (for example a bass to pad 1).
    It doesn't matter which.
    Go to Audioshare and copy your own 'bass' to the general pasteboard.
    Back in iMPC with the dummy bass pad still selected tap Edit Sound.
    On the waveform display pick the pencil icon, choose Audiopaste, rename by tapping the label and tap Done in the bottom right.
    The original sample will be replaced by your own AND there will be a new entry in your User Sounds Bass-directory.

A more efficient option would be to record a sequence of (say) 16 of your own bass samples into one file, paste that as above and let iMPC chop it to pads.
    The sample editor does quite a cool job, not perfect but it got it's own strengthes and has a very nice screen response.
    You can perform a sequence of operations to different parts of the sample, just don't forget the lower right Done button.

The swiping of one pad to another is a quick way to get a working copy to mangle some stuff, as it creates a new file for the action.

excuse in advance: there may be a regular way to move samples between folders, but I was too lazy to search. o:)