Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xynthesizr What's New in Version 1.5

2»

Comments

• edited July 2017

@wim said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    A few weeks ago, I asked the KRFT devs whether they could keep their MIDI channel mapping in conjunction with using Audiobus 3 MIDI lanes, so that we could mix and match the two in a project. For example, use Audiobus MIDI for apps which support receiving MIDI data in the Output slot, and use the existing channel mapping for ones that don't. The KRFT devs said that currently with Audiobus 3, this isn't possible - once a MIDI input app is in a MIDI lane, no external MIDI channel mapping is allowed using that app.

That's a little odd, because KRFT does include channel output. You can take output Audiobus #1 - ch. 1 and put it in one lane with a midiflow channels filtering all but channel 1 out. Then you can put KRFT in another lane with Audiobus #1 - ch. 2, and filter out all but channel 2 to control a different synth.

Does this work with apps that aren't yet compatible with Audiobus MIDI, though? My point was that you can't mix and match between sending MIDI to apps that are Audiobus MIDI compatible and those that aren't, if you use the MIDI lanes. At least, that was my understanding. There are plenty of synth apps that don't yet work in the Audiobus MIDI out slots, aren't there? If you choose Audiobus MIDI to send to an app that is compatible, you can't also currently send MIDI to an app that isn't compatible, as Audiobus has 'taken over' the MIDI functions so you can't use the old method alongside it. Again, that's my understanding but if I'm wrong, then great!

• Just rediscovering this app, and have it playing a GeoShred.

• @RajahP said:

Anyone figured out how to do custom scales in Xynth...?
    I am trying to do a four note minor but can't seem to get it right... Wish there was a video tutorial... Or an easier way to just select or omit notes....

Like Midiflow's Scale...

No I was interested in custom scales too. Now with AB3 midi and Link seems like a good time to start as I haven't tried this yet with Xynth. But yes shame it's a bit more difficult than usual. Perhaps you can do it with a midi notes to numbers chart as a reference?

• @RajahP said:
    I am trying to do a four note minor but can't seem to get it right... Wish there was a video tutorial... Or an easier way to just select or omit notes....

To do scales in Xynthesizr you set the interval from each step. The first step is what you set in the Key and Transposition and the number you set is the number of half steps up to the next step.

e.g. in the picture you have Step 1 and then a value of 1. That would produce the chromatic scale as each step would be half step up from the last.

If you set that value to 12 you would have octaves. Each step would be an octave up from the last step.
    If you set that to 7 you would have the circle of fifths
    etc.

This is very flexible, you can create "scales" of repeating intervals that are fractions of, or span multiple, octaves.
    (The limit for interval between steps is actually 100!)

Like Midiflow's Scale...

To do this scale you would have:
    Step 1 = 3
    Step 2 = 2
    Step 3 = 1
    Step 4 = 1
    Step 5 = 3
    Step 6 = 2

• edited July 2017

@aplourde said:

@RajahP said:

To do scales in Xynthesizr you set the interval from each step. The first step is what you set in the Key and Transposition and the number you set is the number of half steps up to the next step.

e.g. in the picture you have Step 1 and then a value of 1. That would produce the chromatic scale as each step would be half step up from the last.

If you set that value to 12 you would have octaves. Each step would be an octave up from the last step.
    etc.

This is very flexible, you can create "scales" of repeating intervals that are fractions of, or span multiple, octaves.

Like Midiflow's Scale...

Step 1 = 3
    Step 2 = 2
    Step 3 = 1
    Step 4 = 1
    Step 5 = 3
    Step 6 = 2

Thanks Bud... I am getting the hang of it..
    I think it's rather tedious if you just want to omit two notes from a minor scale...
    edit...But I think this is the heart (and soul) of this sweet app.. And I intend to learn it...

• edited July 2017

@RajahP said:
    I think it's rather tedious if you just want to omit two notes from a minor scale...

Overall I like the flexibility, but it would be really nice if you could edit an existing scale instead of having to build from scratch each time. That does get to be a drag....

Note, you can edit your custom scales, but you can't "Save As" to create a variation.

• Yes, that's very helpful, thanks Can I assume then that, unlike in Scales, you could create a scale that covers more than one octave? It would be nice if it imported Scalia files.

• L> @aplourde said:

@RajahP said:

Overall I like the flexibility, but it would be really nice if you could edit an existing scale instead of having to build from scratch each time. That does get to be a drag....

I used Midiflow's Scale on Xynth' midi output (in AB3) muted a few notes, changed Midiflow Scale to 'nearest note' and fed it to Troublemaker... THE POWER...
    But will like to have that power on Xynts's grid...

• @aplourde said:

@RajahP said:

etc.

Like Midiflow's Scale...

Step 1 = 3
    Step 2 = 2
    Step 3 = 1
    Step 4 = 1
    Step 5 = 3
    Step 6 = 2

Thank you!

• edited July 2017

@RajahP said:

Like Midiflow's Scale...

A little confusing, but Xynth wants intervals instead of scale positions per step when programing custom scales... So a minor 7th chord should be 1 - 3 - 7 - 11 in terms of semitones, right? But Xynth already assumes we're starting at 1 and wants the intervals in between. So to program a minor 7th chord, it's actually 3 - 4 - 3 - 2. So taking the Key of C for example, C (+3 semitones) -> D# (+4 semitones) -> G (+3 semitones) -> A# (+2 semitones) -> C.

Edit: But I agree, just give us a damn chromatic keyboard to program a custom scale!

• @aaronpc said:
    Yes, that's very helpful, thanks Can I assume then that, unlike in Scales, you could create a scale that covers more than one octave?

Exactly. At the simplest, if you could have a one note scale of: Step1 = 13
    Then, assuming you set your Key/Transpostion to C0 you would have:
    C0, C#1, D2, D#3, etc.
    Obviously you can build up more complex scales that span octaves by adding in more steps; I'm not sure what the limit for quantity of steps is.

The largest step interval is 100, so with Step1 = 100 you would have:
    C0, E8, G#16...

Conversely, you can create a scale that's a fraction of an octave:
    Step 1 = 2; Step 2 = 1; Step 3 = 2
    Would give you;
    C0, D0, D#0
    F0, G0, G#0
    A#0, C1, C#1
    etc.

Going back to what I wrote about Step1 = 1 resulting in the chromatic scale, it should be noted that there is a difference. With the custom one-step scale, each note would be considered a separate "note group" and so you could route each note to a different MIDI channel. Unlike with the built-in chromatic scale where groupings of 12 notes are one "note group" and would all go to the same MIDI channel.

It would be nice if it imported Scalia files.

Xynthesizr doesn't do alternate tunings, it's just intervals, so it probably would be hard to interpret.
    And personally I would have preferred Garland files to the Gorsuch implementation we're stuck with.

• Ek|X}j!(db5I> @Michael_R_Grant said:

@wim said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    A few weeks ago, I asked the KRFT devs whether they could keep their MIDI channel mapping in conjunction with using Audiobus 3 MIDI lanes, so that we could mix and match the two in a project. For example, use Audiobus MIDI for apps which support receiving MIDI data in the Output slot, and use the existing channel mapping for ones that don't. The KRFT devs said that currently with Audiobus 3, this isn't possible - once a MIDI input app is in a MIDI lane, no external MIDI channel mapping is allowed using that app.

That's a little odd, because KRFT does include channel output. You can take output Audiobus #1 - ch. 1 and put it in one lane with a midiflow channels filtering all but channel 1 out. Then you can put KRFT in another lane with Audiobus #1 - ch. 2, and filter out all but channel 2 to control a different synth.

Does this work with apps that aren't yet compatible with Audiobus MIDI, though? My point was that you can't mix and match between sending MIDI to apps that are Audiobus MIDI compatible and those that aren't, if you use the MIDI lanes. At least, that was my understanding. There are plenty of synth apps that don't yet work in the Audiobus MIDI out slots, aren't there? If you choose Audiobus MIDI to send to an app that is compatible, you can't also currently send MIDI to an app that isn't compatible, as Audiobus has 'taken over' the MIDI functions so you can't use the old method alongside it. Again, that's my understanding but if I'm wrong, then great!

You can use MidiFlow adapter to send to apps that can't be loaded in the AB3 midi output slots. It has a channel filter/remapper as well.

• edited July 2017

For those who don't know, I LOVE Xynthesizr ...
    is this the scale functionality everyone wants?

There's a custom button right next to the built in ones.