Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xynthesizr What's New in Version 1.5

Comments

• Oh fuck yeah.

• Sweet update. This will get a lot more use now.

• Sweet Sara, let's go to work!

• edited July 2017

Nice. Just had it playing along with Future Drummer.

Future Drummer
    Xynthesizer
    TroubleMaker (via AB3)

= your own generative midi out band.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Nice. Just had it playing along with Future Drummer.

Future Drummer
    Xynthesizer
    TroubleMaker (via AB3)

= your own generative midi out band.

Yeah, this is how I used it during beta testing--get a chordy riff going in Xynthesizer and randomize it. Point it at a house organ or B3 type patch. So funky with troublemaker and FD.

• Bunny is happy bunny.

• edited July 2017

Any tips on using this to send multiple midi out via AB3?

The midi settings panel says midi in/out disabled when connected to AB3, but it is sending, same notes to both channels. (I've set up a synth and a drum machine).

The "Output Channel Mapping" function is disabled...

I'm new to using this one, so this is probably user error..

EDIT: ok I see in the other thread, it's known behavior and there's a workaround using midiflow scales filter.

• Excellent update... I can retire my Dot Melody for now.. It shows how Link can really transform an app.. The AB3 implementation is marvelous too..

• Geez...
    I forgot how awesome this is - re watched a youtube demo.
    Damn, how did I forget this!
    I'm thinking of deleting 90% of my apps to force me to use only a few!

• I'd love an AU version of this!

• @Mayo said:
    Geez...
    I forgot how awesome this is - re watched a youtube demo.
    Damn, how did I forget this!
    I'm thinking of deleting 90% of my apps to force me to use only a few!

Sometimes having an embaressment of riches does limit the creative process.

I sweep my apps regularly due to having a low capacity iPad but I'm finding it tougher to delete stuff because what I'm left with is so good.

Xynth will survive the cut every time though, it's a good 'un.

• I'm finally able to use this the way I've always wanted. So awesome.

• Got it, finally :hushed:

• @eddielovesyou said:
    I'm finally able to use this the way I've always wanted. So awesome.

Yeah, pretty little thing aint she etc,

• I had not purchased Xynthesizr prior to joining the beta test. I was interested in whether the Link support would turn it into something I might use on occasion. Lo, I became completely smitten during the beta period, bought it upon release in the app store, and it's now a regular in my bag of tricks. I hope anyone who hasn't bitten on this one in the past will give it a whirl--it really is a good 'un.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    I'd love an AU version of this!

Midi-out isn't allowed for AUv3's, so you'd be stuck with the internal sounds (which aren't bad at all).

• wimwim
    edited July 2017

Love the Link update, and for simple stuff it's nice to load into AB3 midi slot. However, it kind of sucks that doing so disables the output channel mapping. That's one of the strongest features of the midi implementation. It would be great if they implemented multiple AB3 midi outputs ... or at least put channel mapping back in.

This and StepPolyArp - a key feature crippled when used as AB3 midi inputs. :neutral:

• @Littlewoodg said:
    EDIT: ok I see in the other thread, it's known behavior and there's a workaround using midiflow scales filter.

Could you give a link to that?
    Cannot find it ...

• @tja said:

@Littlewoodg said:

Could you give a link to that?
    Cannot find it ...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19819/xynthesizr-gets-link#latest

• thanks!

• edited July 2017

Another workaround to enable output channel mapping is to load Xynthesizr in an audio slot and use multiple MidiFilter Adapters in the MIDI slots. You can always disable audio in Xynthesizr and use it simply for sequencing.

• Silly question but how do you move up and down the grid. To access all the coloured lanes.

• @Dchild said:
    Silly question but how do you move up and down the grid. To access all the coloured lanes.

I'm guessing you have some panels open for Settings, etc.. Just close them. It doesn't scroll.

• @aaronpc said:

@Dchild said:
    Silly question but how do you move up and down the grid. To access all the coloured lanes.

I'm guessing you have some panels open for Settings, etc.. Just close them. It doesn't scroll.

No I don't have anything open. Just the seq.
    I thought more lanes are available. I.e move up and down. In the manual more coloured lanes are available.

• @Dchild said:

@aaronpc said:

@Dchild said:

No I don't have anything open. Just the seq.
    I thought more lanes are available. I.e move up and down. In the manual more coloured lanes are available.

Change your scale to one with fewer notes. For example, either of the pentatonic scales will give you a little more than 5 zones as there are only 5 notes in those scales. If you use Chromatic, you'll only get a little over 2 zones.

• edited July 2017

@wim said:
    Love the Link update, and for simple stuff it's nice to load into AB3 midi slot. However, it kind of sucks that doing so disables the output channel mapping. That's one of the strongest features of the midi implementation. It would be great if they implemented multiple AB3 midi outputs ... or at least put channel mapping back in.

This and StepPolyArp - a key feature crippled when used as AB3 midi inputs. :neutral:

A few weeks ago, I asked the KRFT devs whether they could keep their MIDI channel mapping in conjunction with using Audiobus 3 MIDI lanes, so that we could mix and match the two in a project. For example, use Audiobus MIDI for apps which support receiving MIDI data in the Output slot, and use the existing channel mapping for ones that don't. The KRFT devs said that currently with Audiobus 3, this isn't possible - once a MIDI input app is in a MIDI lane, no external MIDI channel mapping is allowed using that app.

I hope that Seb and the team can relax this if there is no technical requirement necessitating it. Maybe it was simply implemented to avoid confusion and make things easier for users.

• @wim said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    I'd love an AU version of this!

Midi-out isn't allowed for AUv3's, so you'd be stuck with the internal sounds (which aren't bad at all).

...but not great for bass. infact this was my reaction too. I'd be pushing for full midi control implementation: midi learn on most things basically. Dev's work is never done. I hope the sales have picked up a little for further work on the app.

• I just use the MIDI filter that allows splitting and it works great to separate bass from lead sounds.

• wimwim
    edited July 2017

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    A few weeks ago, I asked the KRFT devs whether they could keep their MIDI channel mapping in conjunction with using Audiobus 3 MIDI lanes, so that we could mix and match the two in a project. For example, use Audiobus MIDI for apps which support receiving MIDI data in the Output slot, and use the existing channel mapping for ones that don't. The KRFT devs said that currently with Audiobus 3, this isn't possible - once a MIDI input app is in a MIDI lane, no external MIDI channel mapping is allowed using that app.

That's a little odd, because KRFT does include channel output. You can take output Audiobus #1 - ch. 1 and put it in one lane with a midiflow channels filtering all but channel 1 out. Then you can put KRFT in another lane with Audiobus #1 - ch. 2, and filter out all but channel 2 to control a different synth.

Of course, the right AB3 way is to use Audiobus #1, and Audiobus #2 outputs, but KRFT does allow the above.

I hope that Seb and the team can relax this if there is no technical requirement necessitating it. Maybe it was simply implemented to avoid confusion and make things easier for users.

I believe that is the case. They are trying to simplify and get people to not have to deal with channels.

But the real point of my post was Xynthesizr doesn't use the Audiobus multi-out capability. Unlike KRFT, which has multiple AB3 Midi outputs, they just have one. This disables the really nice ability to send to different channels (or outputs) per octave, making it less useful as an AB3 Midi Input than not. That's a shame both for Xynthesizr and for StepPolyArp.

Some developers seem to embrace the AB3 idea of multiple outputs and others not. Probably it's a case of the amount of work it would take to rework things to fit. Still, it's disappointing to have less functionality from an app when used as an AB3 midi input, so yes, I agree that it would be preferable for the AB3 spec to be relaxed regarding channel output.

• Anyone figured out how to do custom scales in Xynth...?
    I am trying to do a four note minor but can't seem to get it right... Wish there was a video tutorial... Or an easier way to just select or omit notes....

Like Midiflow's Scale...