Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

midiSequencer - all IAPs now free (and Quantum discussion)

Comments

• @ccs2 said:
    Q: I’d like to know which options can be midi-learned, please? Thanks!

That's a moving target I believe but most of the obvious/useful stuff can be controlled by cc or nrpn: the step sliders, step mutes, sequence type/view toggles (note, velocity, gate, CC, etc), the new mixer (volume, mute and solo for each sequence/part), the shift steps left/shift steps right buttons, seq tempo division, seq stop/start, seq direction, seq start step, seq end step, most everything on the very bottom row in the screenshot... Tony has an actual list going but that's what I recall from memory.

Each rack/seq can be controlled on consecutive MIDI channels. So on something like the BeatStep, it's dirt easy to have the knobs control the sliders of SEQ 1 and then switch the midi channel on the BS to 2 and have the same knobs controlling the sliders of SEQ 2.

I believe that 16 CCs control the 16 visible sliders (which is the max visible at once). So if you go to part B of a seq and have that set for sliders/steps 17-32, the same 16 knobs would control them. Haven't tried this yet though.

Working on some BeatStep (original) templates I hope to share when it's released. You can import/export/iOS share MIDI mappings in Quantum!

• edited July 2017

@syrupcore and @midiSequencer thank you very much, good luck for the release, greetings!

• @syrupcore said:
    Coming to realize I've never messed with the "time" step type in Quantum. After discussions above, took some lunch break time to mess with it. Holy shit.

So, a sequence can be set to clock at many different dividers or multipliers of the global tempo. By default, it's 1/1 and each step represents a 16th note. You can change the sequence's tempo divider to say 1/2 and then each step represents an 8th note. And so on.

But, I didn't realize until reading Tony's messages above and messing with it, EACH step can be set to any of those tempo divisions/multipliers. Not only can this do all manner of fluttery fast bits and 'pick up' notes, it means that with a single 5 step sequence, you can create, say 1/4, 1/4, 1/4, 1/8, 1/8 or 4 whole notes and 2 halves, or pretty much any rhythm you want. This kind of blows the traditional notion of a step sequencer wide open.

Screenshot attached with the possible tempo setting. If you look behind the tempo pop up, you can see steps in the sequence set to all manner of per-step timings.

Looks awesome! Cannae wait.

• Is this music or math class? :p

• @ccs2 said:
    Q: I’d like to know which options can be midi-learned, please? Thanks!

mostly just the controls on the front screen (16 faders, 16 mute buttons, switches to change what faders display, tempo etc). This is because you can only have 127 controls learnt. Oh, I also allow you to learn the mixer panel (volume faders for all parts + mute/solo etc).

but NRPN (7 or 14bit) is available to expose a lot more - just like you'd expect on decent hardware synths.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Is this music or math class? :p

Music is classy math.

• Oh, another topic I‘d like you to ask - midi recording: how is it supposed to be brought into action?

• @ccs2 said:
    Oh, another topic I‘d like you to ask - midi recording: how is it supposed to be brought into action?

Hit record, make sure MIDI Input is enabled and send notes in. They're recorded. In Quantum, you can even record chords to a step.

• @kgmessier said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Music is classy math.

Or math that will get you laid.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@kgmessier said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Music is classy math.

The best form of multiplication by far.

• edited July 2017

@kgmessier said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@kgmessier said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Music is classy math.

The best form of multiplication by far.

nah, thats fire & forget - music toys with knobs (even pixel ones) thats more fun!

Here is an audio demo of what Quantum can do with only 1 sequence of 4 steps out of those 384 we talked about and of course a great modular iOS synth....
    (the model 15 patch I did for this is available for download too)

• Any chance of Quantum becoming an AU in the future with iOS 11 as full screen + midi out becomes possible? :)

• Beautiful. Just trolled your soundcloud feed. Some other really amazing model 15 stuff! Once you finish your Model 15 control surface (and quantum!), think the world would benefit from you creating a few Model 15 tutorial videos. Or just some live videos of you conjuring up some of this madness with a focus on the screen/controller.

• @syrupcore said:
    Beautiful. Just trolled your soundcloud feed. Some other really amazing model 15 stuff! Once you finish your Model 15 control surface (and quantum!), think the world would benefit from you creating a few Model 15 tutorial videos. Or just some live videos of you conjuring up some of this madness with a focus on the screen/controller.

Yes please! ;)

• @syrupcore said:
    By the way, the second sequencer in the screenshot with steps 00, +03... is a transposition source sequence, pointed at sequence/rack 1 at a 1/16 tempo division. So every 16 steps of the master tempo, it moves forward by one step and it transposes sequence/rack 1 by the amount set. You can only see two steps in the screenshot but it's a four step sequence that transposes sequence 1 by 0, +3, -2, +5 and then loops.

Oh man...

• @Carnbot said:
    Any chance of Quantum becoming an AU in the future with iOS 11 as full screen + midi out becomes possible? :)

AU midi is a possibility (it already supports coreMidi,Audiobus 3 Midi, bluetooth & network).

• @syrupcore & @Littlewoodg
    sure - especially as my drive to build Quantum was to control M15. So I intend to show longer sessions where I switch between Q & M15. Being a beta tester for M15 gave me a lot of experience in using the app especially in fx & drones.
    I've never owned a Moog modular but the power you can get with just one aging iPad (air 2) and one patch is amazing - so naturally I'd want it sequenced....

One day going to hook up all my iOS devices and sequence some Switched on Bach......

• Hi Tony.

Strangely I can download and import that M15 patch from your link on Soundcloud but M15 refuses to let me save it. Showing an error dialog saying as much. Tried renaming, nothing. Perhaps created on an earlier and now incompatible version of M15?

Managed to have a play with it and midiSEQ though. V.nice. Just can't save. It. :)

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Hi Tony.

Strangely I can download and import that M15 patch from your link on Soundcloud but M15 refuses to let me save it. Showing an error dialog saying as much. Tried renaming, nothing. Perhaps created on an earlier and now incompatible version of M15?

Managed to have a play with it and midiSEQ though. V.nice. Just can't save. It. :)

interesting - will look into it...

• try this one... (I saved it from the old one ok)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/02vjbfxvdg8a6ty/CLOCK30BPMB.m15p?dl=0

I've opened up the mixer & vco & filter.
    The actual bpm of the sequence was 39 not 30. Notes D5,D5,A3,D3 in various octaves.
    The main thing on this M15 bank is the 100% feedback on the ping pong delay & detuning of two oscillator against the vco.

• Cheers Tony.

I'll have a go with this later tonight and report back. Thanks.

By the way, which is the best email address to contact you with about Midi Sequencer?

Cheers.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Cheers Tony.

I'll have a go with this later tonight and report back. Thanks.

By the way, which is the best email address to contact you with about Midi Sequencer?

Cheers.

midisequencer at amssoftware dot org

• edited July 2017

Can anyone help me with syncing midisequencer to Cubasis?

I have MIDI clock send switched on in Cubasis.
    In midisequencer under Options I have MIDI clock 'On' and under the Devices page I have MIDI input Active 'On' and Receive MIDI clock 'On' with Cubasis showing up and selected in the bottom of the page.
    Pressing play in Cubasis does not start midisequencer and manually trying to press play in midisequencer gives me the 'Waiting for external midi clock start' dialogue scrolling upwards.
    Phew....

Anyone had any luck with this?
    Cheers.

Edit: Got it working now. Under Devices/Midi Input in midisequencer it seems you have to select 'MidiSequencer' to be Active and Receive Midi Clock rather than the Cubasis ports that show up.

Edit II : Sync timing/stability erratic to say the least and also randomly stops after a short while.
    Hoping for better luck syncing to external clock from desktop Cubase!

• @iamspoon said:
    Can anyone help me with syncing midisequencer to Cubasis?

Edit: Got it working now. Under Devices/Midi Input in midisequencer it seems you have to select 'MidiSequencer' to be Active and Receive Midi Clock rather than the Cubasis ports that show up.

Edit II : Sync timing/stability erratic to say the least and also randomly stops after a short while.
    Hoping for better luck syncing to external clock from desktop Cubase!

midi clock in IOS CoreMidi is known to be erratic - try midiSequencer as Master rather than slave. In Slave mode it can only go at the speed/tempo its told to.

• edited July 2017

Cheers Will.

Hey Tony, I worked out that the reason the patch wasn't saving in Model15 is that a Bank needs to be selected first. Patch then saves no problem, cheers.:)

• edited July 2017

@midiSequencer Cheers for the suggestion, but Cubasis can't slave to MIDI clock.

I could probably work around the issue using something like Loopy slaved to Cubasis (as Loopy is great at smoothing out incoming MIDI clock) then syncing midisequencer to Loopy.

Not actually sure that would work however as it could be that Cubasis sends MIDI clock (promiscuously) to all sources rather than having a 'proper' virtual port setup.

Oh well, not a deal breaker just might have to sync and record in Loopy with Audiobus chain then import things into Cubasis afterwards.
    Or I could set Loopy to slave with midisequencer as master....

Oh the joy of iOS MIDI sync! :p

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Cheers Will.

Hey Tony, I worked out that the reason the patch wasn't saving in Model15 is that a Bank needs to be selected first. Patch then saves no problem, cheers.:)

cool

• @iamspoon said:

Oh the joy of iOS MIDI sync! :p

thats why Ableton link is way much better - locking to midi clock messages works/worked well in the hardware world but as soon as you have an OS like IOS involved its often too busy to care.

• @midiSequencer said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Cheers Will.

cool

I'm actually working on this fine Sunday evening.

Next to my macbook I have the iPad, with midSequencer and Model15 running.

Every few minutes I get a few seconds break and prod the pencil at the screen to change things up.

Great way to work! :)

• @SpookyZoo said:

@midiSequencer said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Cheers Will.

cool

I'm actually working on this fine Sunday evening.

Next to my macbook I have the iPad, with midSequencer and Model15 running.

Every few minutes I get a few seconds break and prod the pencil at the screen to change things up.

Great way to work! :)

:)