Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

new diy midi controller. tips anyone? anyone?

I'm looking to build a class compliant midi controller with. few faders,knobs and and maybe a few temporary on buttons.
I know teensy boards are a good place to start for brains, but are they hard to code for midi? i'm not great at coding. is there a place to download premise code?
any tips? resources?

Comments

• http://cdm.link/2017/02/now-can-sync-ableton-link-eurorack-open-board/

May or not be relevant but they used a raspberry pi rather than a teensy board

• What I understand is that the teensy is class compliant and appears as a midi controller so is compatible with ios and a cck. As apposed to arduino uno which doesnt isnt. Also there is an arduino, I think its called leonardo, that is class compliant and works like the teensies.
    Im going to do something similiar but Im going to recycle a cheapo usb2midi cable (that doesnt seem to send note off messages) and use that to interface my arduino uno with my ios device. Could be a couple of weeks away for me to get started though.

• oh so teensy is class compliant straight out of the box? so does it still need to have midi controller coding loaded to it? or can it be recognized as a midi controller already?

• Hop
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17430/create-your-custom-midi-controller-get-opendeck#latest
    I'm almost sure it's class compliant, but no direct IOS app then, but...

• My advice is go for something ready made and hack it ;P

• yeah, i have some manufactured keyboards and they are great. but i want to play around and make something fun to play with

• Something like this?

He said he uses teensy for all his projects

• I'd look at open deck. I'm tempted...

• edited February 2017

Not open source, but there's livid instruments brain as well, for a readymade pcb and code:
    lividinstruments.com/products/builder/
    Looks like you just add your controls, build your box, and use the software to set it up.

• @otem_rellik has moved into hardwarelandia. Perhaps he has some tips.

• edited February 2017

@eross said:
    yeah, i have some manufactured keyboards and they are great. but i want to play around and make something fun to play with

Maybe I didn't explain myself right... so lets make an example.

• Take a nanopad
    • Buy some arcade buttons.
    • Open nanopad and solder the arcades where were pads.
    • Put all in inside a new box.
    • Paint it or put some stickers.
    • Avoid code programming the most as you can (even if you are professional coder) and take profit of the programmed platform by Korg.
    • Fight against obsolescency with the same weapons (fixing wrong, recycling their work).
    • Use the time you haven't lost to make more exciting music.

:wink:

• @Dubbylabby said:
    My advice is go for something ready made and hack it ;P

Ready-made things are boring. For example, who needs all those drum pad controllers if you can make these and have a lot of fun:

:D

• edited February 2017

And hack it! And hack it!

I love pringels cans and piezos but you can attach them instead arcade buttons on nanopad2/lpd8 and save time (and maybe few bucks since these are cheap in second hand often more than teensy/arduino leonardo)

Code is step up and frustrating most of the time (and even you could add bizarre behaviour at your little monster with midiflow app).
    I only use my iron solder to improve things not to add complex to my life (hobbist times had gone) and usually you can find a cheap controller waiting to be reformulated xD

• For me, all this electronics stuff is more frustrating than writing code :) I want to build my own synth based on Axoloti but it will have to wait. For my first DIY project, I'll probably follow your advice and hack one of existing midi controllers. Saw the following video a month ago and now I want to do something similar:

Besides a Launchpad controller, the developer uses a Mac computer or Raspberry Pi headless unit, but I'd prefer an iOS device for its portability, not just for MIDI processing but also as a sound module.

• I can understand it if you never used an iron soldering but then you should look to kits like grove or similar since you will need to solder almost the sensor to plug it into opendeck/arduino/teensy. Sometimes these hacks I pointed could be more difficult than "plain soldering" but arduino coding is hard too. Opendeck and other kits (highliquid, hale32 umc...) make it a bit easy with mapping utilities but you still need to know how a fader (analog), button (digital) and encoder (smichtt trigger comparator) work to full configure your own or you will end making more or less the same of previous work and/or commercial units.

So, what are you trying to achieve? Maybe there is a dedicated solution you missed or there is a more suitable (price/specs) platform to use. I don't have nothing against opendeck but it's expensive related to other solutions (includding hack devices)

• @yug said:
    For me, all this electronics stuff is more frustrating than writing code :) I want to build my own synth based on Axoloti but it will have to wait. For my first DIY project, I'll probably follow your advice and hack one of existing midi controllers. Saw the following video a month ago and now I want to do something similar:

Besides a Launchpad controller, the developer uses a Mac computer or Raspberry Pi headless unit, but I'd prefer an iOS device for its portability, not just for MIDI processing but also as a sound module.

i really want to challenge myself and make it from nothing instead of modding current products. I've done this and it is fun, but ultimately
    i don't get exactly what i want.
    for me the mechanical and electrical side of things is the best part. i have no problem designing and building a case and wiring it all up that is tons of fun for me.
    but once i get to the coding part my brain starts to melt. I understand how the code is working,with if commands, if then stuff statements and etc but the language is confusing. It is hard for me to see visualize the structure of the code. like if you build a house you start with , making footing, then basement, then basement walls , then floor joist, then floor , then walls, then ceiling, then trusses, and then roof. to my brain code is like all of those components just spread out on a table, but it still functions as a house. where are the footings of code, and how do you build it from there?
    maybe if I can find code for a diy midi controller run with a teensy, or leonardo board. things will start to make sense.

• very helpful thanks man

• edited February 2017

I will keep any eye on the topic and try to contribute.

Cheers!

• I found this useful ...
    Arduino for Musicians by Brent Edstom
    https://g.co/kgs/i7uGVV

• just read that a teensy board can be set up midi by clicking a box in the software that goes with it. I know it doesn't assign anything automatically, but would that work enough for a program that can do midi learn? anyone have a teensy board?

• @eross said:
    just read that a teensy board can be set up midi by clicking a box in the software that goes with it. I know it doesn't assign anything automatically, but would that work enough for a program that can do midi learn? anyone have a teensy board?

You will need to declare inputs/outputs and then behaviour in loop (if you use teensyduino) so these "box" just put it in midi mode as far as I remember...

About ucapps, far from easy or entry level IMHO.

• yeah, (while i appreciate the links) ucapps looks a bit old
    tech and more than i want to deal with. i'm thinking teensy might be the way to go. thanks

• @Dubbylabby said:

@eross said:
    yeah, i have some manufactured keyboards and they are great. but i want to play around and make something fun to play with

Maybe I didn't explain myself right... so lets make an example.

• Take a nanopad
    • Buy some arcade buttons.
    • Open nanopad and solder the arcades where were pads.
    • Put all in inside a new box.
    • Paint it or put some stickers.
    • Avoid code programming the most as you can (even if you are professional coder) and take profit of the programmed platform by Korg.
    • Fight against obsolescency with the same weapons (fixing wrong, recycling their work).
    • Use the time you haven't lost to make more exciting music.

:wink:

That is handsome. Do you lose velocity control with the arcade buttons?

• Yes I did but was intentionally since these is an old project based on first nanopad (not class compliant) usual faulty units by design. If you want to keep velocity it could be doable changing simple switch for pressure sensor (ones used for pitchbend in roland keyboards could work) or even if you hack a regular keyboard instead pad controller with two switches separated by small space (if you know how velocity works on keys it's easy to figure how)
    Atm I have purchased a Vestax pad one to get pads, xy and midi din and avoid hacking pad controllers for some time lol
    I also purchased a rocktron talkbox after mess sometime with diy without good results (hacking speakers and megaphones) buuut I have some new "shits" getting ready and others being at launch trash platform xD

By the way enjoying BW, LP with launchkeys... too much years dealing with diy and too less music making. My heart needs some music love.

• edited February 2017

I've built a handful of stuff. Started out with a really simple foot switch then kept going. This is probably one of the most complex midi things I've built:

But! I started out with this tutorial:
    http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-very-simple-diy-usb-midi-controller.html

My friend Kyle made this using some of my code:

Microcontrollers have really opened my brain up. Im currently working on a standalone hardware looper with drums and effects all built in using teensy and raspberry pi. The plan is to completely replace my iPad for my live set. Once you start learning the code its pretty addicting (for me at least).

Also, I've always used teensy. Great forum, great audio library (if you ever want to get into building synths), feels more punk rock.

• edited February 2017

A bit offtopic too but maybe interesting/useful for someone...

Rgb leds are cool but I did not go so far to code a sequencer (neither on max/pd). This was before Push era...

Rubber pads apart (and arduino too why not), check this ;)
    http://cdm.link/2013/07/roll-your-own-looper-cheap-raspberry-pi-pd-korg-monotron-hands-on/

I was researching also in standalone development so let me point you towards...
    https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~eberdahl/Satellite/
    http://pideck.com/

I've done with Arduino and coding. Raspberry goes step up even more so I'm just cleaning the lab and probably put some of the "thingas" at second hand market or trash them. I was trying to build a turntable groovebox but I get tired about djing itself before gain the enough knowledge (or proper help) so that's why I advice go straightforward for the tools one could need.

• great links guys .....i'm learning a ton. thanks