Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

On the Slicing of Phones

2»

Comments

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@syrupcore said:

@JRSIV said:

@syrupcore said:
    Thanks @JRSIV. It definitely has a 'digital' sound. The source sample itself is a mess of ring-mod+aliasing so every little fragment loop starts off as a sorta low bit rate sample. A lot of the time was spent fighting that via filters and eq. Then, since I wasn't actually cutting the sample but using Eden's somewhat lo-fi 'sample start' and 'loop length' controls (they're both constrained to 127 steps) some of the "oscillators" have glitches at the loop point...

I know Elastic Drums allows synth parameter manipulation of samples but are there any iOS synth apps that do what Nanostudio's Eden does? I'm sure there might be, but I'm drawing a blank...

I'm not aware of another synth app that allows a sample to be an oscillator and includes as many synthesis parameters as Eden, no.

>
    I'm sure you're right. But how about:

Poseidon
    Alchemy
    GrainSynth
    Animoog (although I know you have to cut the exact samples outside of the app)
    MitoSynth

Don't they all do similar things with user samples?

Animoog lets you load single cycle samples into it via iFunbox to use as timbres. They have to be exactly the right format though.

Never done it myself mind.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 Ah right, single cycle samples. To be honest, I never knew you could do load samples into alchemy either. I think I also bought Mitosynth when it came out. Will definitely re-investigate both. cheers.

• @JRSIV said:

@syrupcore said:
    Just checked. It's $7. That gets you 5 instances of Eden. $5 IAP gets you 15. It doesn't support MIDI out but it's happy to be sequenced externally.

Lol, yeah brother I was busting balls. I remember before getting into iOS and the only "mobile" music stuff I had was Uloops/Pocketband & later Caustic 3 on Android and I saw that iOS had nanostudio. I thought it was cool a cool self contained option, like Gadget is now.

I may get it eventually. The nanostudio devs should put Eden out by itself... yeah, that's the ticket.

isn't he working on eden2 as a standalone? but i think nanostudio is still one of the best daw type apps, if only he was working on ns3.. welp

• @mireko_2 Not sure about stand alone but he is working on NS2 according to his forum posts.

• edited January 2017

@syrupcore said:
    @Matt_Fletcher_2000 Ah right, single cycle samples. To be honest, I never knew you could do load samples into alchemy either. I think I also bought Mitosynth when it came out. Will definitely re-investigate both. cheers.

Yep... to be honest i;ve never got round to loading my own sample into any of them.

Given that they seem to manipulate samples into something completely unrecognisable anyway (and your track absolutely proves that) I kind of think that they probably ship with all the sample fodder you'd need as it is.

Same with iWavestation. Yes, it would be nice to load your own samples I guess - but there is so much you can do with the hundreds of samples already in there.

Mitosynth I finally got round to buying fairly recently when I accepted it would never go on sale... but I haven't had time to even properly play with it. Looks a bit complicated.

Mitosynth I finally got round to buying fairly recently when I accepted it would never go on sale... but I haven't had time to even properly play with it. Looks a bit complicated.

Lovely though. Desert Island stuff (or maybe six months in traction).

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

Maybe i'll save it for then... :)

• edited January 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Maybe i'll save it for then... :)

Not a bad idea. I do have a glass jar on a bookshelf behind my desk and in it on little scraps of paper I put the names of apps (and other things) I don't really need but would still like and when a week or two has gone by with no indulgence I pull one out at random etc etc. Well, that's the theory, causal and more immediate indulgence is winning out so far...

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 of the apps you've mentioned, I've found Poseidon to be the easiest to import your own samples in. You can use open in from Audioshare and then crop the part of the audio you want to use, hit the analyze button, and then use it in whatever preset you want.

• @InfoCheck said:
    @Matt_Fletcher_2000 of the apps you've mentioned, I've found Poseidon to be the easiest to import your own samples in. You can use open in from Audioshare and then crop the part of the audio you want to use, hit the analyze button, and then use it in whatever preset you want.

Damn. One of the ones I don't have.

• @InfoCheck said:
    @Matt_Fletcher_2000 of the apps you've mentioned, I've found Poseidon to be the easiest to import your own samples in. You can use open in from Audioshare and then crop the part of the audio you want to use, hit the analyze button, and then use it in whatever preset you want.

Thanks. I ought to give it a try.

• Impressive stuff.

@InfoCheck said:

Hmm. Not excited about Poseidon, but this might make a difference. Be interested to know how you get on Mister M.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@InfoCheck said:

Hmm. Not excited about Poseidon, but this might make a difference. Be interested to know how you get on Mister M.

Same.

• edited February 2017

@syrupcore Just found this thread while searching for 'elastic drums'.

Incredible stuff. Love it!!

I hit repeat straight away. Hard to fathom this all came from that sample and such a cool melodic tune too. In awe!

Btw homemade Animoog timbres need to be 16-bit mono, 44.1, and 0.371 seconds. All of this can be done to a sample within Audioshare, where snapping the bpm to 161.7 makes the timing easier.

Used to be able to import these via iFunbox. Iirc Geert actually made the process of importing samples easier. Not done this in a while however.

• .nsp too, awesome!

Just had a quick look/play.

Did you have any trouble getting the different sample slices for each synth to be tuned?

I mean did you have to reference them to a note somehow once you had the sample portion you liked?

• @SpookyZoo said:
    .nsp too, awesome!

Did you have any trouble getting the different sample slices for each synth to be tuned?

I mean did you have to reference them to a note somehow once you had the sample portion you liked?

Very very yes. Tuning was the biggest challenge of the whole project. Thanks for noticing! Some tracks are still out of tune. Some osc/loops would only remain in tune for a certain range. Definitely would have been easier to tune if I'd actually cut up the source sample.

• @syrupcore said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    .nsp too, awesome!

Very very yes. Tuning was the biggest challenge of the whole project. Thanks for noticing! Some tracks are still out of tune. Some osc/loops would only remain in tune for a certain range. Definitely would have been easier to tune if I'd actually cut up the source sample.

Just makes the track even more impressive. Bravo!