Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

On the Slicing of Phones

edited January 2017 in Creations

An experiment to see how far I could take Nanostudio's sample+synthesis. All sounds, including the drums, were made by cutting up and mangling the app's included "Mobile Phones" sample (hint: it's terrible and unusable, hence the challenge). A lot (most?) of the sounds come from using the XY pads adjust the sample start and loop length to get a sliver of the original sample to 'oscillate'.

The original sample:
http://bridgeportmusic.com/audio/random2/BlipInteractive--MobilePhones.mp3

The Nanostudio source file available here. It's only 122k!
http://bridgeportmusic.com/audio/random2/syrupcore___on-slicing-phones.nsp

Viva La Eden!

Comments

• That is impressive!

• Pretty groovy too, i love the vibes

• edited January 2017

Yowza, that is top notch work. How long did it take you? And no synths at all were used?

• Wow...Thanks for sharing.

• Super impressive stuff! I love stuff like this, A great reminder of the power of the technology we have nowadays..
    bonus points for making a great track on top of the excellent sound design :smile:

• This is incredible!

• Impressive
    and it also sounds great.
    Nice work.

• I thought this was going to be about those blithering nincompoops on YouTube who destroy perfectly good tech stuff to get views. I never give them the satisfaction of watching, but the titles alone make me wanna puke.

"Glowing Red Knife Through 100 iPhone 7's" was one that popped up while looking through my feed yesterday. There's like dozens of these douchebags who have channels with nothing but the destruction of iPads, phones, HDTV's, etc...

But I digress...

• Very cleverly done. Particularly liked the second half. So, how many man hours in this one do you reckon?

• this was amazing. specially with what source material you had.

• Well done.

• Cool idea, nice sounds, great tune

• Thanks very much, everyone.

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Yowza, that is top notch work. How long did it take you? And no synths at all were used?

I'm not sure exactly how much time I put in. It wasn't fast but it was in a bunch of 20-40 minute segments so it's hard to say. 6-8 hours?

I wouldn't describe it as "no synths". It's all synths, really. Just no regular oscillators. All the sounds started by grabbing tiny portions from the "Drunk Dalek at a Samsung Convention" base sample. For most of the melodic sounds, that meant looping the tiny slices at a high enough speed that they basically worked like oscillators. Drums were slightly different (no looping) but same idea. Then I had all of the synthesis capabilities of Eden to mess with the sounds. And lots of effects.

• Good work, makes me want to use Nanostudio, which I've only really opened a few times...

• @syrupcore said:
    Thanks very much, everyone.

@lukesleepwalker said:

I'm not sure exactly how much time I put in. It wasn't fast but it was in a bunch of 20-40 minute segments so it's hard to say. 6-8 hours?

I wouldn't describe it as "no synths". It's all synths, really. Just no regular oscillators. All the sounds started by grabbing tiny portions from the "Drunk Dalek at a Samsung Convention" base sample. For most of the melodic sounds, that meant looping the tiny slices at a high enough speed that they basically worked like oscillators. Drums were slightly different (no looping) but same idea. Then I had all of the synthesis capabilities of Eden to mess with the sounds. And lots of effects.

I'm not familiar with NS Eden but became acquainted after investigating. Very cool stuff.

• For those looking to re-investigate the old gal, the NSP file above should open right up inside of NS if you click the link from your iOS device.

Here's a few more NSPs to get you going. In case it's not clear, an NSP is self contained NS project file.

Kitejan (aka A Collection of Notes) has put out 4 ambient records and made the NSPs for all of them available to download https://sites.google.com/site/jangilhooley/mymusic/

Here's a couple of my old dub ones I'm pretty sure I've posted here before.
    http://bridgeportmusic.com/audio/random2/Nanodub.nsp (6.2M)
    http://bridgeportmusic.com/audio/random2/Syrupcore-Dubillion.nsp (13M)

• If anyone's thinking about not dying wondering, I can confirm that just opening up Dubillion and having a look at what's going on in there is a great introduction to the sensible wonders of NanoStudio...

• This track was still in my SoundCloud queue and I listened again a few times in a row.

Brother if that razor blade in the esophagus voice sample gurgling "Mobile Phones" was manipulated to make EVERY component of this track, you not only have incredible patience and skill working with finite sample editing but you also have a great ear & melodic sense to play these sounds of each other.

I can see editing the transient start of the "phones" part and trimming, piching & EQing it into a quasi-kick but making those pads and some of the more melodic leads from it? Wow...

Listening again theres like this digital timbre signature the sounds have, all different of course, but coming from the one source there is certainly a general 'sound' to the track.

Great stuff @syrupcore , be cool...

• Thanks @JRSIV. It definitely has a 'digital' sound. The source sample itself is a mess of ring-mod+aliasing so every little fragment loop starts off as a sorta low bit rate sample. A lot of the time was spent fighting that via filters and eq. Then, since I wasn't actually cutting the sample but using Eden's somewhat lo-fi 'sample start' and 'loop length' controls (they're both constrained to 127 steps) some of the "oscillators" have glitches at the loop point...

• edited January 2017

@syrupcore said:
    Thanks @JRSIV. It definitely has a 'digital' sound. The source sample itself is a mess of ring-mod+aliasing so every little fragment loop starts off as a sorta low bit rate sample. A lot of the time was spent fighting that via filters and eq. Then, since I wasn't actually cutting the sample but using Eden's somewhat lo-fi 'sample start' and 'loop length' controls (they're both constrained to 127 steps) some of the "oscillators" have glitches at the loop point...

I know Elastic Drums allows synth parameter manipulation of samples but are there any iOS synth apps that do what Nanostudio's Eden does? I'm sure there might be, but I'm drawing a blank...

• Just got round to listening to this this morning, @syrupcore

This is great, and mind bendingly boggling in equal measure.

Well done on that.

• @JRSIV said:

@syrupcore said:
    Thanks @JRSIV. It definitely has a 'digital' sound. The source sample itself is a mess of ring-mod+aliasing so every little fragment loop starts off as a sorta low bit rate sample. A lot of the time was spent fighting that via filters and eq. Then, since I wasn't actually cutting the sample but using Eden's somewhat lo-fi 'sample start' and 'loop length' controls (they're both constrained to 127 steps) some of the "oscillators" have glitches at the loop point...

I know Elastic Drums allows synth parameter manipulation of samples but are there any iOS synth apps that do what Nanostudio's Eden does? I'm sure there might be, but I'm drawing a blank...

I'm not aware of another synth app that allows a sample to be an oscillator and includes as many synthesis parameters as Eden, no.

• @syrupcore said:

@JRSIV said:

@syrupcore said:

I'm not aware of another synth app that allows a sample to be an oscillator and includes as many synthesis parameters as Eden, no.

>
    I'm sure you're right. But how about:

Poseidon
    Alchemy
    GrainSynth
    Animoog (although I know you have to cut the exact samples outside of the app)
    MitoSynth

Don't they all do similar things with user samples?

• Good list, Matt. I don't own most of those and didn't know you could load a single sample into Animoog! How do you do it?

• @syrupcore said:
    Good list, Matt. I don't own most of those and didn't know you could load a single sample into Animoog! How do you do it?

Yeah I didn't know those let samples be an oscillator, I will look into it. I know Samplr and some other apps let you mangle samples in many ways but the way Eden is described to work I would really like to have something like it...without getting nanostudio I guess, lol.

• @JRSIV said:

@syrupcore said:
    Good list, Matt. I don't own most of those and didn't know you could load a single sample into Animoog! How do you do it?

Yeah I didn't know those let samples be an oscillator, I will look into it. I know Samplr and some other apps let you mangle samples in many ways but the way Eden is described to work I would really like to have something like it...without getting nanostudio I guess, lol.

Heh! :) Why not? It's 10 bucks or something.

• Just checked. It's $7. That gets you 5 instances of Eden. $5 IAP gets you 15. It doesn't support MIDI out but it's happy to be sequenced externally.

• Mind. Blown. Frank Zappa performed a song on a bicycle. You made a very nice sounding song with a mobile phone sample and some software. Bravo! :+1:

• @syrupcore said:
    Just checked. It's $7. That gets you 5 instances of Eden. $5 IAP gets you 15. It doesn't support MIDI out but it's happy to be sequenced externally.

Lol, yeah brother I was busting balls. I remember before getting into iOS and the only "mobile" music stuff I had was Uloops/Pocketband & later Caustic 3 on Android and I saw that iOS had nanostudio. I thought it was cool a cool self contained option, like Gadget is now.

I may get it eventually. The nanostudio devs should put Eden out by itself... yeah, that's the ticket.