Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget for Mac coming soon

Comments

• I really hope Korg is listening or maybe not since we all keep on buying.

• @MonzoPro said:

@db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Loop mode for the pattern editor would make Gadget more viable for me than any new Gadget they come up with.

100 times with extra certainly. It seems so wantonly silly, almost stubborn, that there isn't a quiet little toggle for this...

What are you guys talking about? I thought the whole thing is based on looping patterns

Loop mode in the pattern editor. At the moment Gadgets plays through the whole pattern, which is a pain if it's long and you want to work on a particular section.

It's pretty standard functionality, bizarrely missing in Gadget.

Have to agree with your choice of word there; it IS bizarre/odd/whatever.

• I have to say I was happily surprised to learn that I indeed could record one instrument for long passages, it just kept jumping down to the next scene whilst recording, meaning I could record pretty much the melody of an entire song in one go, which was built over 15+ scenes. I had no idea. Now I do, and I really like Gadget, from my first foray into it.

Isn't this the same as using one shot mode? Or am I misunderstanding ?
    :smile:

• edited February 2017

@supadom said:

. All dancey type of stuff rolls off gadget like off of a printing press.

I disagree here.I do a lot of"dancey type stuff"and It's an absolute nightmare to use the Scenes if you don't want to create a stupid"on/off"behavior or the single tracks (which i find incredibly boring)but instead want to have mainly dynamic (volume etc.)movements/fades/automation over the whole length of a song.It simply doesn't work for me and breaks the otherwise beautiful workflow of gadget.I created countless ideas in gadget but fully arranged probably 2-3 of them there.Most of the other stuff i have to bounce/record/move/paste into cubasis and/or auria to finish them.It's a hassle.Sometimes this even doesn't work because the"mojo"of a track gets lost somewhere in this process.

That said,i'm biased about a linear timeline.i'm used to this sort of thing since the old and glory Cubase on Atari ST times.I don't like Ableton as well,never really did.(i bought Ableton 1 back in the days but stopped using/sold it with v3).

• @Crabman said:

@supadom said:

I disagree here.I do a lot of"dancey type stuff"and It's an absolute nightmare to use the Scenes if you don't want to create a stupid"on/off"behavior or the single tracks (which i find incredibly boring)but instead want to have mainly dynamic (volume etc.)movements/fades/automation over the whole length of a song.It simply doesn't work for me and breaks the otherwise beautiful workflow of gadget.I created countless ideas in gadget but fully arranged probably 2-3 of them there.Most of the other stuff i have to bounce/record/move/paste into cubasis and/or auria to finish them.It's a hassle.Sometimes this even doesn't work because the"mojo"of a track gets lost somewhere in this process.

That said,i'm biased about a linear timeline.i'm used to this sort of thing since the old and glory Cubase on Atari ST times.I don't like Ableton as well,never really did.(i bought Ableton 1 back in the days but stopped using/sold it with v3).

I know what you're saying about smooth automation between scenes.

I think the trick is to record the automation live, across the whole song, knob by knob, track by track.

• For me it's a 'weird' situation?!

On one hand I just love 'Trackers' which is in practice the way Gadget works...

What is 'lacking' in Gadget is a flexible cut/copy/paste (separate automation from notes and allow copy & paste of a 'selection' from one pattern to another as examples) and no way to add extra 'controller' tracks. (Ie. use the same pattern but with different automation without having to 'copy' the pattern(say base 'arpeggio/bass-line' is 1 bar, automation is 16 bars which could include pitch automation etc.).

And well, when 'scrolling around' in the editor a 'flow over' to the next/previous scene when either end of a scene is reached making it feel like a 'time-line' without being a 'time-line' (Renoise works like this but 'vertically').

Even in LogicPro X I mess with the 'pattern mindset' but I can freely move and reuse the 'patterns' many times on the time-line without making copies and I can also easily 'layer' patterns on the same track as well.

The above is 'no news' to Korg so I have a positive feeling we'll see improvements in this area in the Gadget 3.0 update.

Since I already have Gadget for iOS the only thing left 'tempting' me to get Gadget for macOS would be the AUv3/VST 'Gadgets'. (In some cases my 2013 MacBook Air already feels 'slower' that my iPad Air 2).

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Crabman said:

@supadom said:

I think the trick is to record the automation live, across the whole song, knob by knob, track by track.

Agreed

• Don't know how many of you here follow Paolo's Synthmania channel on Youtube but it's good 'entertainment' while waiting for the Gadget release, many of the videos are pretty nostalgic educational too :)

@Crabman said:

@supadom said:

Yep,i could do this of course but prefer to have more control over everything.There are only a few movements i record"live".Gimme my automation lanes (like in auria)and i'm happy :wink: Also,to rethink the way i have ro arrange the stuff before is just way too much mindf*ck for me instead of just copy/duplicate the parts i need and where i need them.
    I've accepted the way gadget works though and i love it for what it does.
    I just wanted to point out that you can't say generally"All dancey type of stuff rolls off gadget like off of a printing press." :wink:

• @Crabman said:

Yep,i could do this of course but prefer to have more control over everything.There are only a few movements i record"live".Gimme my automation lanes (like in auria)and i'm happy :wink: Also,to rethink the way i have ro arrange the stuff before is just way too much mindf*ck for me instead of just copy/duplicate the parts i need and where i need them.
    I just wanted to point out that you can't say generally"All dancey type of stuff rolls off gadget like off of a printing press." :wink:

you can always go back and fine tune the automation. i did automation for years with a mouse, pointing and clicking, and was used to that too but nothing beats riding the automation on knobs. then i go back and fix parts where i got "too excited". i see these synth automations as part of playing the instrument and i only have so many hands.

• @Crabman said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Crabman said:

@supadom said:

Only the spontaneous kind of dancey stuff.

Soz, I forgot I have to craft words carefully round here. ;)

• While we are waiting heres a little video I found comparing the Odyssey app to the hardware. Sounds quite close to me.

• @vpich said:

you can always go back and fine tune the automation. i did automation for years with a mouse, pointing and clicking, and was used to that too but nothing beats riding the automation on knobs. then i go back and fix parts where i got "too excited". i see these synth automations as part of playing the instrument and i only have so many hands.

Ok,since more and more people try to convince me maybe i gotta try it next time again.But i think it was clear that i was not only talking about the Automation.Also,i miss visual control about the length of a scene,of the length of a song etc.etc.!

It's just the whole clip/scene thing.I hate it.Of course,i COULD work arround everything but is it fun to me?No.What i love about them (to say something good) is how fast you can duplicate everething (or tracks) to try different things.And yes,the piano roll is still unbeatable.As i said,there are enough parts in gadget that i absolutely love and i always enjoy to get back to it.

@supadom :wink:

• I too wish there was a timeline so i knew how long the song i am currently on is. I think i saw something like that in the screenshots of the update. At the end of the day you have to figure out what works for you. For me, i love auria for mixing but anything related to sequencer action is horrible for me. Gadget works for me and then i export to ap. Once there i will generally add 1 or 2 tracks in a linear fashion, playing it in realtime.

Cubasis i mostly only use when a buddy sends me a rhythm track for me add parts, which i then export to send back.

• edited February 2017

You are all right, of course.

Nothing is faster than Gadget for one handed music making operation on an iPhone Plus on public transport.

And I'm just loving some of its sounds more than ever (Lexington and Dublin particularly).

But it is pretty annoying having to do all that copying and pasting of bars across all tracks to get it in the state required for automation. And then of course if you want to change things in terms of notes you have hundreds of duplicate notes to deal with.

In many ways it would make sense to separate midi note clips completely from automation lanes (which could be more linear and just run vertically down in one long lane or something - with length dictated by the longest number of bars of any clip in the scene).

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 are you recording notes live one handed on the phone?

NO!!! A line has been drawn and you MUST pick a side! :p

• @db909 said:
    @Matt_Fletcher_2000 are you recording notes live one handed on the phone?

Yep. IPhone 6S Plus is nice for this. If you zoom into the instrument in landscape I find that two or three octaves (in pentatonic for example) just about fit ok for playing with the tips of your fingers. Particularly with the arp on.

• @vpich said:

I think everyone knows which side I'm on when it comes to Gadget :)

@vpich said:

12 days. Maybe.

• edited February 2017

@db909 said:
    @Matt_Fletcher_2000 are you recording notes live one handed on the phone?

To be honest, though, I'm not exactly playing concertos!

Most of my stuff is very sequenced / repeating pattern based. And some arp stuff.

Sometimes I write midi in, or just play a bit of a phrase out on the Gadget keyboard and then tidy up the midi.

I also use apps like Different Drummer and Refraktions (on the iPhone) and Genome (iPad only, sadly) to play in interesting midi, which again I'll edit and mess around with.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@vpich said:

12 days. Maybe.

... counting every one of them...

I literally have a Gadget track ready and waiting for a long evolving Alchemy pad part to be inserted (currently being place held by a Kiev sound).

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@vpich said:

12 days. Maybe.

... counting every one of them...

I literally have a Gadget track ready and waiting for a long evolving Alchemy pad part to be inserted (currently being place held by a Kiev sound).

I'm in the same state (and I admit that I check for a potential early update twice a day on my iPad, even though the update is announced for end of Feb / beg. of march)... I'm a GFF (Gadget Fan Forever) LOL !

• I'd forgotten all about it.

Not sure if the audio Gadget will tempt me to finish/write tracks when it arrives. I'd say Gadget is top of the pile for knocking together the first part of a track. It's the second, third, fourth parts that are the difficult bit...

• 1 week to go...just in case anyone forgot :)

• @AndyPlankton said:
    1 week to go...just in case anyone forgot :)

The suspense is unbearable...

• @AndyPlankton said:

Modstep>Aum>Gadget I'm ready :)

• @Ivan_Dj said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Can't you do that now?

• What are the odds that there will be some new controllers too?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Ivan_Dj said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Can't you do that now?

Yes but limited to the Bilbao and Abu sample lenght seconds.