Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Drumbrute - Is this why iSpark isn't getting the love we wanted

Comments

• edited October 2016

@brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Always seems to be the same, 20-something hipster bloke in product videos these days. Staggering lack of creativity. I'd like to see an overweight, beardless 57 year old tapping away in his flat in Pontypridd. Anything else really.

Great idea, but I think they're trying to actually sell these things.

Old guys buy stuff too.....just look at the average age of the Herbert's on here (including me).

I've bought more stuff based on Nick Batt/Gaz Williams demos than on random hipster demos. Just sayin'

Yeah they're great those two.

The hipster/park bench/beat making demos actually put me off buying - as an old fart making music (usually) via an armchair, they suggest that this sort of thing isn't really meant for people like me, and I should take up golf or crosswords or something. Despite the fact that (we're told) the old guys have all the money.

• Going off the deep end here, but whatever. If you turn the sound off, it tells the story of the unemployed son of an aging evil genius supervillain. While dad is away, he sneaks down to the catacombs under the castle and discovers his dad's latest invention— a device that takes over the brain of unsuspecting women over the internet and allows him to control their thoughts and movements.

I've got to find better ways to spend my morning coffee time.

• @brambos said:
    I'd like to hear some more demos. The device looks awesome from a workflow/performance/sequencer/UI point of view, but the first sound demos leave me a bit unimpressed.

Same. Better than the rhythm wolf but not grabbing me at all. It does seem to have it "own" sort of sound, which is cool. I'm just not sure I'm fond of it yet.

@Wally said:
    Well , ever the optimist ( ahem) , I'm hoping the Drumbrute gives Arturia more momentum to update the rest of their sequencing range into an integrated workflow .

Given the Drumbrute sequencer seems built on the BeatStep Pro , I'm hoping the polyrythm ,rolls , individual swing etc functions that I think are new to DB will also be implemented in the Beatstep/Pro AND iSpark ( & iSpark given midi out ) , so programming any of these on the bus/in bed could then be transferred /midi recorded into the DB ...or vice versa.

Agreed. The BSP has swing per track but not per drum sound. Same with polyrythms: independent track lengths but not per drum on the drum track. On a more pessimistic note the BSP introduced some features that seems like they could have somewhat easily been backported to the original BS. Never happened so I'm not going to hold my breath here. Would be amazing if they were to update the BSP so that each drum track was really a fully independent sequencer.

One thing available on the BSP that seems a glaring omission here (or I'm just missing it) is that you can manually offset any single drum note for things like lazy snares with rushy hi-hats.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I think the idea is that you route the sounds through a mixer and then apply whatever FX you want there, It kinda reminds me of a DrumStation but with sequencer and all the controls laid out on a large surface.

Yep. Pan knobs just wouldn't fit. Plus, with individual outs you can apply panning as well as discreet compression (easy side chaining), effects sends... They didn't mention it but hopefully it's smart enough to remove a sound from the main mix if there's a connection present in the sound's output jack.

• Can you record velocity, gate or any other control changes to the step sequencer?

• edited October 2016

@syrupcore said:
    Can you record velocity, gate or any other control changes to the step sequencer?

Looks like only two levels of velocity internally 'step' and 'accent'. What's kinda cool compared to other DMs with accent is that there's accent per track.

@syrupcore said:
    They didn't mention it but hopefully it's smart enough to remove a sound from the main mix if there's a connection present in the sound's output jack.

Check. Works that way.

• looks great
    can't wait to get in depth feedback on sound

• @AudioGus said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@AudioGus
    They represent my hairy ideal self... Mmm, hair...

What is this hair thing you speak of ?

I have... memories.. faint yet... Nope, lost it.

It's that grey stuff around the ears, in the ears, in the nose, etc.

• Sounds very crappy. Hate to be so negative, but I was initially so excited I think it's fair.

• edited October 2016

Sonic state video shows that you can indeed offset individual notes as well as record without unquantized.

Definitely a 'performance' drum machine. Can't save state of the sounds (sonic state?) but all sorts of fun stuff for mucking about with a beat in real time. Guy called Gerald would crush one of these. Not all of the sounds are my favorite but it does sound very 'full' to me. Like this and an SH-101 could make quite a lot of music. Looking at it that way, it got a lot more interesting to me. Plus, polyrhythm and per step offsets means it can be a mean drum machine controller for other sound sources (sources with recall in the studio). The sonic state video and the first one on the synthtopia sound a lot better than any of the official arturia samples. This and the volca kick together would be a smashingly good time.

Shame the individual outs are all 1/8". I get it for space reasons but considering the lack of 1/8" mixers it would mean a lot of converter cables. Perhaps Aurturia will put out a snake.

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Always seems to be the same, 20-something hipster bloke in product videos these days. Staggering lack of creativity. I'd like to see an overweight, beardless 57 year old tapping away in his flat in Pontypridd. Anything else really.

Great idea, but I think they're trying to actually sell these things.

Old guys buy stuff too.....just look at the average age of the Herbert's on here (including me).

I've bought more stuff based on Nick Batt/Gaz Williams demos than on random hipster demos. Just sayin'

You will get a review video from Nick too, of that I am sure. I like this guy, apart from overly animated hands his modular YouTube videos and tutorials are fantastically well done. Here he is obviously in seller mode.

• @MonzoPro said:

^^^ this in aces :p

Whilst they all look very spiffy in their artistically lit environs, the sounds featured in the ad are generally a bit moribund, sub par to most things that were happening twenty years ago. I'm pretty sure that guy in Ponty is sounding better right now. Shame, as the product itself looks like it's more than capable. Less of that ballet bizness, give it to someone like Aaron Funk for twenty minutes, spill some beer on the floor & get some messy folk in to fall over & bump into each other.

• Did anyone hear whether it has midi CC control in? The lack of this on the Microbrute is restricting for me.

• @brambos said:
    I'd like to hear some more demos. The device looks awesome from a workflow/performance/sequencer/UI point of view, but the first sound demos leave me a bit unimpressed.

This post here is the one I relate to.

• @Carnbot said:
    Did anyone hear whether it has midi CC control in? The lack of this on the Microbrute is restricting for me.

No CC control , clearly stated in Sonic State demo video .

• @Wally said:

@Carnbot said:
    Did anyone hear whether it has midi CC control in? The lack of this on the Microbrute is restricting for me.

That's a shame, bit of an omission for me.

• @Carnbot said:

I guess this is a full-on analog circuit where the pots are directly connected to the electronics (just like in the old days). There's no way to change those values via external control (also explains why the sound settings are not saved in the sequencer patterns).

• @brambos said:

@Carnbot said:

I guess this is a full-on analog circuit where the pots are directly connected to the electronics (just like in the old days). There's no way to change those values via external control (also explains why the sound settings are not saved in the sequencer patterns).

Fair enough, I can understand the old school approach but if it was Korg, I think they would have put it in somehow ;)

• @Carnbot said:

Fair enough, I can understand the old school approach but if it was Korg, I think they would have put it in somehow ;)

Let's hope Korg make a drum-brother for the Minilogue! ;)

• edited October 2016

@brambos said:

@Carnbot said:

It also explains the price tag. :) Definitely a shame for recall but understandable at the price point. They went and made a 17 part multi-timbral analog synth for $500. 10 of those parts share synth settings with another so it's really 7 independent and 5 shared paths but all can be sequenced independently and still, $500. Kind of incredible.

The other thing that might have been cool to expose to midi is that there are certainly more things going on under the synth hood for each of those channels than the existing controls expose. Having access to those controls would be killer.

Let's hope Korg make a drum-brother for the Minilogue! ;)

Yes please. But not Korg in general, Tats specifically. Pretty pretty please. Electribe 4, Tats Edition. :)

Or the King Volca Drums with 6 channels:
    1. volca kick
    2. new volca snare
    3. volca sample
    4. volca sample
    4. volca keys (or fm)
    5. volca bass (or fm or another volca kick channel).

All mono if need be. Streamlined set of controls for all of them to make it fit physically and financially; fit into a reasonably sized enclosure (wouldn't fit a standard volca enclosure) and come in at <$501. Plus a new stronger faster better sequencer. Global filter from the vocal sample and some modified version of the volca keys' delay made to be mushier so that it can work as a reverb.

• Other than the Electribe 2's, are there other modern(ish) drum machines that support poly-rhythms? Circuit has variable length patterns but only for the synths, not the drum/sample tracks (at least last I checked).

• The term Polyrhythm is being misused ,
    if each instrument is a different step length it is a PolyMeter .
    PolyRhythms spread a differing number of beats over the same barlength , such as the Divide mode in Patterning , 3 beats Kick x 7 beats snare complete together .

The MFB range of analogue /hybrid drum machines Tanzbär, Tanzbär Lite & Tanzmaus all have independent step length .

In the FluxWithIt Drumbrute Special podcast , Arturia's Glenn Darcy * said the DB programmer was next going back to update firmware of BeatStep Pro ( & BS) , possibly with some of the new DB sequencer functionality , so there's a chance independent step length could get added to BSPro drum section .

( * Arturia's pin-up for the not so young ,slim , or hairtopped viewer ) .

• @brambos said:

looks really cool and would be fun but this is a deal breaker for me. after going through countless stages and lots of drum machines, the inability to save sound settings is impossible for me to get behind. had a tr-8 that i sold due to this because for me patterns are sound specific. toms are tuned to the song, decay timed to the beat, etc. i prepare something as perfect as i can for one song and then jumping to another song everything is off.

and soundwise at least the hats sounds very similar to the akai wolf. useable but very specific.

only drum machines that make sense to me at the moment are the elektron boxes (save sound and patterns and sound great) or ableton or ios apps.

• Looks awesome, especially the wooden ends :)
    Sounds not so good to me though and the demos turn me right off!

Sorry!

• This device looks awesome.

Hard choice between this or Electribe Sampler.

Tough.

• edited October 2016

@vpich said:
    looks really cool and would be fun but this is a deal breaker for me. after going through countless stages and lots of drum machines, the inability to save sound settings is impossible for me to get behind. had a tr-8 that i sold due to this because for me patterns are sound specific. toms are tuned to the song, decay timed to the beat, etc. i prepare something as perfect as i can for one song and then jumping to another song everything is off.

and soundwise at least the hats sounds very similar to the akai wolf. useable but very specific.

only drum machines that make sense to me at the moment are the elektron boxes (save sound and patterns and sound great) or ableton or ios apps.

I think that's a solid argument against the DB. I use my drum machines mainly as live instruments, which is why I adore my TR-8 so much, but for 'composing' it's a drawback. So I don't mind this omission.

I had the same Rhythm Wolf vibe with many of the sounds, which is... well... not a compliment :D But the box itself looks like it's a hoot to play with.

The Elektron Analog Rytm sounds amazing and has the perfect feature set. I would totally own one, if it weren't for the terrible UI. It was obviously designed by engineers rather than musicians (looks like someone sprinkled a a bag of buttons randomly over a black box). Many get on with it, but it has just never clicked with me.

On the other hand the Tempest has a fantasticly laid-out UI, but the sound does not live up to its price-tag and the firmware is notoriously lacking and buggy.

It seems the perfect drum machine still does not exist. Maybe I should get back to it and make my own anyway ;)

• @brambos said:

The Elektron Analog Rytm sounds amazing and has the perfect feature set. I would totally own one, if it weren't for the terrible UI. It was obviously designed by engineers rather than musicians (looks like someone sprinkled a a bag of buttons randomly over a black box). Many get on with it, but it has just never clicked with me.

i've gone through most of the elektron boxes, still have the analog keys. the analog four is probably my favorite as a drum machine, once you get it the sequencer is super easy to set up and randomly twisting a knob at a step to choose another sound is great and intuitive. i didn't like the rytm as much, or found it way overpriced compared to the analog four and sound options. not nearly as obtuse as the octatrack.

It seems the perfect drum machine still does not exist. Maybe I should get back to it and make my own anyway ;)

this...! :) although i'm out of the hardware drum machine for the forseeable future. what i want is a stepsequencer that i can use to program your apps with in cubasis

• It seems the perfect drum machine still does not exist. Maybe I should get back to it and make my own anyway ;)

this...! :) although i'm out of the hardware drum machine for the forseeable future. what i want is a stepsequencer that i can use to program your apps with in cubasis

A software sequencer? That will certainly happen at some point.
    A hardware sequencer/groovebox? That is still one of my personal goals (Ruismaker actually started out as the synth engine for a hardware drum machine, and I haven't given up on the ambition)!