Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dhalang Microtonal Groovebox (updates, requests.. )

Comments

• The lite version for iOS is now updated to being almost the full version but without saving/sampling/midi/io/etc.

For next mg update I have now done the following: Piano roll octave/y-axis "zoom", piano roll snap-to-grid quantization for selected notes, 32 presets per synth, a metronome with volume, vector states have individual durations/delays, and other smaller fixes. Now doing midi cc learn subsystem and maybe something more(?) before regression testing.

• edited October 2016

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    @Hypertonal

Good move updating the free version. I can finally have a real go with it. My interest in your full version has now jumped up ;)

>

Ditto. Will be downloading that, again, and updating review to reflect new status. BTW, would be appreciated if you did include importing, ''cause that's the bit I'd like to try most. Even it can't be saved.

• @Hypertonal said:
    The lite version for iOS is now updated to being almost the full version but without saving/sampling/midi/io/etc.

For next mg update I have now done the following: Piano roll octave/y-axis "zoom", piano roll snap-to-grid quantization for selected notes, 32 presets per synth, a metronome with volume, vector states have individual durations/delays, and other smaller fixes. Now doing midi cc learn subsystem and maybe something more(?) before regression testing.

I am still in the 'puzzled but it's obviously powerful' stage, but am impressed with your commitment/development activity. Looking forward to seeing just how far you take this project.

• @Hypertonal said:
    The lite version for iOS is now updated to being almost the full version but without saving/sampling/midi/io/etc.

Thank you for these fast coming updates...o

Requests:
    "Sensitivity" to some buttons like auto segments, loading presets etc...some buttons need to be tapped a lot to get them respond...I even use stylus...

Also the sampler slicing adjustment of individual slices is awkward...I deleted sliced parts when I was actually moving the slice position bars by taping on "delete."..

Could it be done that you could "grab" the start point of a slice and drag it <|> and then fine adjust please?
    Make the delete button smaller?

THANKS

• @Hypertonal said:

Cool beans :)

• 3 questions for @Hypertonal or anyone else who can clarify:

1. There are record buttons throughout, but not sure what and how they're all recording.

2. When I'm sending midi from Dhalang to different channels to different external synths, in settings after hitting update, I see the various synths but not sure if I'm supposed to select one, or network? I've been setting up a local network with Midiflow and that works perfectly, but I get the impression I don't really have to do that?

3. There are "follow" selections throughout. I'm not sure exactly what those are for, or how to use them.

• edited October 2016

I can only answer Q-1, 3

The recording buttons are throughout so you can record anything from anywhere to any of the 16 tracks in piano roll...."record routing"..

You have to actually enable recording from the source and in the destination.
    In order to play and see notes you have to unclick record in destination...otherwise NO sound.

Then you can change inputs or source, meaning the notes recorded from source X can play any other destination....very sophisticated

If I am incorrect hopefully someone will correct me, but it seems to work this way...and it gets more complex with the "read" and "write" with Feed-1 to Feed-5 which send or receive sequences....didn't explore that yet...

The "follow" is simply to enable the progression scrolling of the playhead in piano roll on longer sequences
    Hope it makes sense

• edited October 2016

About internal sequence generator synchronization .

When using many sequence generators i.e. vector/matrix/particle together, usually very quickly there rises a need to synchronize them together - otherwise sequences run independently in their own worlds without any shared logic/path/timing etc. The generator synchronization is divided into two parts:

1) Time synchronization (found on sequence generator's [Sync] settings and Settings view's [A follows B]) that defines from what generator a certain generator receives triggering (sync trigger happens always when the generator listened plays a note to a synth or silently (no target in sequencer). The listener receives the trigger but can delay it a defined amount [Sync Offset] and/or only be ready to receive trigger in defined intervals [Sync Skip].

2) Tone synchronization ([Feed]s and [Read/Write]) happens using [Feed] channels (1-5) that can be written by generators similarly. When a generator writes to certain Feed, it's note values there are read by all those generators reading that Feed channel. Reading happens only when the Feed number changes from it's previous state. Reading can be also defined to have an interval offset [Read Offset] and a settings (in vector only) if [Octave] level is also read from feed, or only the note while remaining in the octave the generator state was before reading. Reading a Feed does not cause generator to trigger a note, but sets the next triggered note to this read/altered value that was processed from the Feed.

• @skiphunt follow is simply to move screen with the playhead or remain in a fixed view.

• @soundklinik @Hypertonal @Trueyorky Thanks! I'm going to play with the follow stuff since my generative stuff was getting way too chaotic at times. Sounds like this will help reign it in a bit.

And, last night I was running a matrix to Mitosynth as well as a particle generator on channel 1, while also running a vector generator to an arp in Addictive synth, sounded awesome. In settings, under midi, I can select either Network, Mitosynth or Addictive synth. If I select just one of the synths, I only get that synth. With network I get nothing (since I'm not running a wifi midi network I reckon) but I did get it working while running a midiflow local midi network on the ipad. I'm assuming I could've run external midi into Dhalang as well at the same time.

• @Hypertonal said:
    About internal sequence generator synchronization .

When using many sequence generators i.e. vector/matrix/particle together, usually very quickly there rises a need to synchronize them together - otherwise sequences run independently in their own worlds without any shared logic/path/timing etc. The generator synchronization is divided into two parts:

1) Time synchronization (found on sequence generator's [Sync] settings and Settings view's [A follows B]) that defines from what generator a certain generator receives triggering (sync trigger happens always when the generator listened plays a note to a synth or silently (no target in sequencer). The listener receives the trigger but can delay it a defined amount [Sync Offset] and/or only be ready to receive trigger in defined intervals [Sync Skip].

2) Tone synchronization ([Feed]s and [Read/Write]) happens using [Feed] channels (1-5) that can be written by generators similarly. When a generator writes to certain Feed, it's note values there are read by all those generators reading that Feed channel. Reading happens only when the Feed number changes from it's previous state. Reading can be also defined to have an interval offset [Read Offset] and a settings (in vector only) if [Octave] level is also read from feed, or only the note while remaining in the octave the generator state was before reading. Reading a Feed does not cause generator to trigger a note, but sets the next triggered note to this read/altered value that was processed from the Feed.

Thanks for the detailed description....reading it makes sense, but I don't know how to set it up...and use it...
    Could you please describe (briefly) a path of where/how to? The simplest (tone/rhythm wise) possible so I can hear results? It's the routing that I don't get...
    I think this will help me to tame and control things...
    Thanks in advance

• @soundklinik tonight I tried writing the particle generator #1 to feed #1, then reading from feed #1 with matrix #1 and vector #1. Seemed to somewhat stay in sync based on the particle generator. Also tried follow vector #1 to matrix #1 and that worked well too. But it looks like the follow action doesn't include the particle generator.

I'd like to see what Hypertonal says anyway since I've only half-way got it I think.

Here's an experiment I just finished, driving Animoog, Mitosynth and Addictive Pro from the particle, vector, and matrix generators. It's got some Droneo & SoundScaper morphing scenes with field recording samples too, but more than half is Dhalang MG. (Don't laugh, I'm still learning) :)

• @skiphunt said:
    @soundklinik tonight I tried writing the particle generator #1 to feed #1, then reading from feed #1 with matrix #1 and vector #1. Seemed to somewhat stay in sync based on the particle generator. Also tried follow vector #1 to matrix #1 and that worked well too. But it looks like the follow action doesn't include the particle generator.

I'd like to see what Hypertonal says anyway since I've only half-way got it I think.

Here's an experiment I just finished, driving Animoog, Mitosynth and Addictive Pro from the particle, vector, and matrix generators. It's got some Droneo & SoundScaper morphing scenes with field recording samples too, but more than half is Dhalang MG. (Don't laugh, I'm still learning) :)

Very nice, :) thanks for sharing, I hear a lot of soundscaper and other drones...I wish there was more Dhalang,

• @soundklinik said:

@skiphunt said:
    @soundklinik tonight I tried writing the particle generator #1 to feed #1, then reading from feed #1 with matrix #1 and vector #1. Seemed to somewhat stay in sync based on the particle generator. Also tried follow vector #1 to matrix #1 and that worked well too. But it looks like the follow action doesn't include the particle generator.

Very nice, :) thanks for sharing, I hear a lot of soundscaper and other drones...I wish there was more Dhalang,

As far as driving synths with Dhalang, there's lots of it. The Mitosynth, Animoog & Addictive Pro synths driven by Dhalang were kind of low/moody stuff so maybe that's why the sequences aren't as obvious to you.

I'd like to hear some of yours! Any early experiments using Dhalang to share? :)

• Good sound skiphunt...did you use Settings for the input/output to Animoog, Addictive Pro and Mitosynth? What were the parameters you set up in Settings and also in particle, vector and matrix? Thank you

• @ugb1 said:
    Good sound skiphunt...did you use Settings for the input/output to Animoog, Addictive Pro and Mitosynth? What were the parameters you set up in Settings and also in particle, vector and matrix? Thank you

Thx! Starting to get a little less chaotic.

I can't remember exactly the absolute details, but I had a particle generator 1 set to write to feed 1 and target Mitosynth on midi chan 1. I had vector 1 set to target Addictive Pro on midi channel 2 and reading feed 1. I had matrix 1 set to target Animoog on chan 3 and also reading feed 1.

To get all of the midi to work, I had to set up a simple local midi network on my ipad with midiflow called "local". I then refreshed the midi listings in the settings section of Dhalang, and selected "local" from the list. You can only have one midi output channel selected at a time. Seems l had to at least select each external synth first, listen that it was getting triggered, then select the next external synth. Once I went through all 3, I selected my "local" midi network to get them all targeted and playing at the same time.

• edited October 2016

1.7 Works fine.

• Ok i Need more Videos , Sorry maybe im to stupid for this App.

• edited October 2016

Thanks for the warning....but I did download and there are some problems.... :#

Didn't check the forum first....NO problem though, fix is coming..

And please, possible to make the Metronom only active on recording? Sort of auto...if it's OFF, it ticks on recording ONLY, if it's ON it ticks all the time
    Like the new features in update :)

• edited October 2016

1.7 Working fine

• @Hypertonal said:
    Otherwise minor bugs in 1.6 BUT it does not open project files made with previous versions without some breakdown/crash, and every project file saved with it can't be opened with the next versions. So your project files get fckd when going through it. I have already fixed it but it takes some ~24 hours before the update is available.

I updated once, and then another update showed up. Did don't have any that precious, do I deleted and reinstalled again. 1.6. Haven't noticed any problems at all yet. Tried the different UI colors, an ultimately went back to the default color.

One behavior that I'm not certain is a bug, was when in import in a longer sample, and drop some long instances on the piano roll, the whole sample doesn't get played. Goes to silence until the next long piano roll note.

What is the "State Machine" section in Vector for? And how do you use it?

Seems mostly a very solid update. Will see I'd the sample dropout resolves with the 1.7 update. Thx! :)

• @skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:
    Otherwise minor bugs in 1.6 BUT it does not open project files made with previous versions without some breakdown/crash, and every project file saved with it can't be opened with the next versions. So your project files get fckd when going through it. I have already fixed it but it takes some ~24 hours before the update is available.

I updated once, and then another update showed up. Did don't have any that precious, do I deleted and reinstalled again. 1.6. Haven't noticed any problems at all yet. Tried the different UI colors, an ultimately went back to the default color.

>
    It can work if you're not loading any previously created project files or saving anything for next versions, cause it surely won't work (I made a stupid mistake changing a type of one variable that was also used as a one bytesize measurement in the file format..) If you or someone wants to give good color themes, they are are very welcome,
    the current sets are very monochrome as I'm not that colorwise. I can give the rgb template.

One behavior that I'm not certain is a bug, was when in import in a longer sample, and drop some long instances on the piano roll, the whole sample doesn't get played. Goes to silence until the next long piano roll note.

I tried to recreate this issue but it worked fine. How long did that sample play ? Using samples that are minutes long is not tested, or recommended, as samples are in ram only. When the sampler envelope sustain is at the top and release at most minimal, sample should play as long as it is hold/played without decay level drop or release fading.

State machine deals with "States" that represents a current parameter state of all 10 vector sequencers. With that you can change a vector state instantly or interpolate between them (most vector parameters gradually change from old state to the next one) There can be an infinite amount of states, but currently only 21 can be programmed into a "State route" that will fly through programmed route of states. State change can also be guided by hand with the "course" tool in the state machine view. When the state machine is online, states will be read into vectors and they will replace those values the vectors had. When creating a new state, it's contents will be the current state of vectors. This thing makes possible to program very complex and song-like sequence generations where each vector's parameters are also automated.. It's a still little under construction as It needs a lot actual in-use testing.. but works, just be aware that having state machine online, vector states that are not written into any state machine's state are lost .
    I will make the next video about this part.

Seems mostly a very solid update. Will see I'd the sample dropout resolves with the 1.7 update. Thx! :)

• I just bought the OSX version! Are the versions in sync with the IOS version? I'm curious if there is any hopes of getting this into VST or AU form in the future?

• @Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

>
    It can work if you're not loading any previously created project files or saving anything for next versions, cause it surely won't work (I made a stupid mistake changing a type of one variable that was also used as a one bytesize measurement in the file format..) If you or someone wants to give good color themes, they are are very welcome,
    the current sets are very monochrome as I'm not that colorwise. I can give the rgb template.

No. I like the color options. It's just that overall, ease on the eyes, ease of readability, etc. I think your original color actually works the best. It's fun to use dark red, purple, etc. Fond of light blue too... but I think you were on the money with your original color choice.

I tried to recreate this issue but it worked fine. How long did that sample play ? Using samples that are minutes long is not tested, or recommended, as samples are in ram only. When the sampler envelope sustain is at the top and release at most minimal, sample should play as long as it is hold/played without decay level drop or release fading.

This was almost certainly user error. I tried again with the same samples and it worked fine. It was very late and I likely messed with the envelope as you suspect. When I tried again, I reproduced the same thing I was experiencing last night by changing the envelope sustain. So... sorry about that. My bad. :)

State machine deals with "States" that represents a current parameter state of all 10 vector sequencers. With that you can change a vector state instantly or interpolate between them (most vector parameters gradually change from old state to the next one) There can be an infinite amount of states, but currently only 21 can be programmed into a "State route" that will fly through programmed route of states. State change can also be guided by hand with the "course" tool in the state machine view. When the state machine is online, states will be read into vectors and they will replace those values the vectors had. When creating a new state, it's contents will be the current state of vectors. This thing makes possible to program very complex and song-like sequence generations where each vector's parameters are also automated.. It's a still little under construction as It needs a lot actual in-use testing.. but works, just be aware that having state machine online, vector states that are not written into any state machine's state are lost .

Oh PLEASE YES! This sounds at once baffling and VERY intriguing. I'm going to need a video to even start experimenting with this part though. Looking forward to it.

• @gkillmaster said:
    I just bought the OSX version! Are the versions in sync with the IOS version? I'm curious if there is any hopes of getting this into VST or AU form in the future?

Yes they are updated simultaneously from the same source code. VST/AU version is something to study for future, but there might be some issues with a plug-in having this kind of opengl accelerated vector gui. Newest version of vst at least had some gui improvements and no limitations to those awful fixed-size views made from bitmap images.

• @Hypertonal said:

@gkillmaster said:
    I just bought the OSX version! Are the versions in sync with the IOS version? I'm curious if there is any hopes of getting this into VST or AU form in the future?

Yes they are updated simultaneously from the same source code. VST/AU version is something to study for future, but there might be some issues with a plug-in having this kind of opengl accelerated vector gui. Newest version of vst at least had some gui improvements and no limitations to those awful fixed-size views made from bitmap images.

Thank you for response. Looking forward to seeing this evolve however you see fit!

• @skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

Oh PLEASE YES! This sounds at once baffling and VERY intriguing. I'm going to need a video to even start experimenting with this part though. Looking forward to it.

Ok, had another play with this based on your description. Somewhat figured it out, but still very much looking forward to the demo video. VERY powerful!!! You can actually start getting some of the generative stuff to have more "song-like" quality as you stated. And, it makes the generative sequences more "playable" too.

Another question: I'm not clear on the difference in the settings between Following a sequence vs reading/writing feeds.

If I've got a Vector sequence going, and I set a Matrix sequence to "follow" the Vector sequence... they kind of sync somewhat. However, if I set the Vector sequence to write to Feed 1, and then set the Matrix sequence to read from Feed 1, it sounds like it's syncing more clearly and more obviously.

What's the difference between sequences following sequences vs sequences writing to feed, and having additional sequences reading from that feed?

• @skiphunt said:

@skiphunt said:

@Hypertonal said:

@skiphunt said:

Ok, had another play with this based on your description. Somewhat figured it out, but still very much looking forward to the demo video. VERY powerful!!! You can actually start getting some of the generative stuff to have more "song-like" quality as you stated. And, it makes the generative sequences more "playable" too.

Another question: I'm not clear on the difference in the settings between Following a sequence vs reading/writing feeds.

If I've got a Vector sequence going, and I set a Matrix sequence to "follow" the Vector sequence... they kind of sync somewhat. However, if I set the Vector sequence to write to Feed 1, and then set the Matrix sequence to read from Feed 1, it sounds like it's syncing more clearly and more obviously.

What's the difference between sequences following sequences vs sequences writing to feed, and having additional sequences reading from that feed?

Following a sequencer is all about when is the generator playing something, and feeds about what the generator is playing. so it's time & space 8)

Folks at Apple were very nice and processed the 1.7 update already available. (very fast!)

• edited October 2016

Update 1.7

• Piano roll: snap-to-grid quantisation for selected notes
    • Piano roll: octave amount view setting
    • Piano roll: independent loop points for tracks (subtime)
    • Pinch zoom and scroll navigation for piano/control views (on select mode)
    • Vector states have individual durations
    • Metronome with volume (on settings view)
    • Midi CC learn subsystem (instruments)
    • More mini transports (sampler & mixer)
    • Various gui fixes and optimizations (button places/responses more sensible, latency improved)
    • Various stability and file load fixes (dsp stabilisation for physical synth, midi import to piano roll & matrix )