Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dhalang Microtonal Groovebox (updates, requests.. )

Comments

• was just talking to the dev on fb and he said he's interested in making a manual and is interested in any questions that everybody has. He said it will help him with making the manual, and I'm sure he'll pop in and answer them too so if you've got questions on the app or how it works definitely post them here or fb!

• This looks amazing and I'll definitely buy it in the future, as I've done a lot of work with tuning/temperament. As for right now, it's a bit pricey for me.

• @skiphunt said:
    I have not found any parameter automation yet.

There's another module called "Control" that I haven't figured out at all yet, but it looks like it may be some form of built-in DAW. That's a guess though. At the moment I haven't a clue.

Control is where you can draw automation of all kinds of parameters

I believe the dev uses it in his video

• @jn2002dk said:

@skiphunt said:
    I have not found any parameter automation yet.

There's another module called "Control" that I haven't figured out at all yet, but it looks like it may be some form of built-in DAW. That's a guess though. At the moment I haven't a clue.

Control is where you can draw automation of all kinds of parameters

I believe the dev uses it in his video

Ah! So there IS builtin automation of parameters. Cool.

I started watching the dev's videos last night, but bailed out because the controls are a bit small, and a bit hard to follow when watching on an ipad. Figured I'd rewatch them on the desktop later.

• edited October 2016

@OscarSouth said:
    This looks amazing and I'll definitely buy it in the future, as I've done a lot of work with tuning/temperament. As for right now, it's a bit pricey for me.

Initially, that kept me back too. But, I realized it's fairly unique and likely not an "insta-buy" for many... so, I'm sure he's got to price it for lower volume buys. He's also got the same app for the desktop that essentially does the same thing, but with more robust recording of separate tracks. In that respect, he's got to price it in-line with the desktop version I would imagine. I almost went with the desktop version, but decided to go with the iOS app for portability and because I have way more iOS synths to control with it on iOS than my desktop software.

At the moment, the desktop version is $25, but he says he'll likely bring that down to $20 to match the iOS version.

I can say the price held me back for a good couple weeks, but finally caved and decided I couldn't wait for any sale. The dev gave me the impression no such sale would be coming anytime soon, but who knows. I took the plunge and have zero regret. There's just so much it offers, and I haven't even got past the surface yet.

• Yea, defo looks worth a lot more than the cost. Life is expensive these days though and I'm very busy, so I'll hold off until the timing is right.

• @OscarSouth said:
    Yea, defo looks worth a lot more than the cost. Life is expensive these days though and I'm very busy, so I'll hold off until the timing is right.

I can relate to that. Was simply sharing my own experience since there don't appear to be that many vocal users of this app yet, and I was very apprehensive too.

I'm inclined to not even talk about it though, as it'd be cool if it was a secret weapon only a few knew about. On the other hand, I also want the app to be successfull so that it continues to get refined.

Don't think I have anymore to add about it at this point. Off to play :)

• @OscarSouth said:
    This looks amazing and I'll definitely buy it in the future, as I've done a lot of work with tuning/temperament. As for right now, it's a bit pricey for me.

>

Yes, that is what is holding me back from taking a chance. An introductory discount price, and impulse buying would have me in already. But the current price is a bit more than I want to pay for something I'm not sure how I'd get along with, or how much I'd actually use. I did try the freebie version, but is is _so _crippled compared to the full one I couldn't really get much of an idea.

• Just bought it :smile:
    Couldn't resist specially after skiphunt's reviewl ;)

Q: what is the easiest path to import samples from AS? I did, kind of accidentally, but can't just open in.

• @soundklinik I just select the sample in AudioShare and open in so it does work.

• @Trueyorky said:
    @soundklinik I just select the sample in AudioShare and open in so it does work.

Thanks, will give it a try, it didn't work for me for some reason....

• edited October 2016

@soundklinik said:

@Trueyorky said:
    @soundklinik I just select the sample in AudioShare and open in so it does work.

Thanks, will give it a try, it didn't work for me for some reason....

It works but it's quirky and a bit buggy. No question. He just implemented it, so I'm guessing it needs a tuneup. I sent him on note via Facebook page. Sometime I have to try 2-3 times before it works.

Never mind, I figured out what I was doing wrong. It's not intuitive, but makes sense.

After you "open in/import to Dhalang" from AudioShare, go to Dhalang, then to Sample module, hit "new" from there on the right, then click "Imported" at top left. You'll see all your samples you've transferred from AudioShare there. Select the one you want to use, then hit "Load" at the bottom left.

• edited October 2016

There's a nice feature with the sequencer edit box.
    Once you put in notes, click on "select". It will highlight notes in yellow colour.
    Then the rectangle in the middle of the screen with all the arrows moves selected up/down left/right and longer/shorter. The volume adjusts relative volume of selected...

Skip, thanks for the tip, figured it out by trial and error ...

• edited October 2016

@soundklinik said:
    There's a nice feature with the sequencer edit box.
    Once you put in notes, click on "select". It will highlight notes in yellow colour.
    Then the rectangle in the middle of the screen with all the arrows moves selected up/down left/right and longer/shorter. The volume adjusts relative volume of selected...

Skip, thanks for the tip, figured it out by trial and error ...

Keep at it with trial and error. I've come a long way in just 3 days from doing that. The more you figure little stuff out, the more the complex stuff makes sense.

I watched the Pants of Death video, then played with the app for awhile. Then watched all 5 of the devs 3-8min demo videos. Then played again. Watched PoD a second time. Played again. Then rewatched all 5 demo videos. Made some compositions, then watched PoD video a final time.

I think I've about got it down now. It's really pretty remarkable I think.

Just played with sending generative midi from the Vector module externally to Addictive Pro. And, also set up the generative Particle generator to also send midi to Addictive Pro.

Just those two streams of data to the right/tweaked Addictive Pro preset started becoming very interesting very quickly.

Try the same send to one of the Addictive Pro arps and gets pretty interesting too.

Once I get that going, I start using the piano roll sequencing my own samples to mix in.

Ok. Enough about Dhalang MG for now... as I'm really starting to sound like one of those ecstatic Auria Pro and/or Cubasis fanboys. lol ;)

• edited October 2016

Ok, we're all fanboys of good stuff... :)

Did you watch video#2? (With a loop import and slicing)

I loaded a loop and sliced it. And found out that EACH segment (slice) is adjustable for pitch, volume, pan, etc?...and its variations :o
    Also the sensitivity is adjustable and you can add up to 12 slices or segments, adjustable in Tuning...
    Than run it into Matrix???.....this is so fantastic.... I got a great beat going with variations, like Amen break shuffling...and that's just one track used...

It's starting to make sense in parts....the deeper I go into the app, the more I see and understand from the videos...it's overwhelming in the beginning

LOL, I didn't even get to MIDI out yet.....

• So let's hear some examples of awesome micro tonal music then!!;)

• Good news, everyone! After many suggestions and wishes, I decided to change the lite version into more like the full mg but without save/load/midi/ab/import/etc features. Next update to mg maybe out on next week, going to add midi cc learning subsystem, fix the vector state machine a lot, add a metronome and again some gui fixes. Also going to add texts into previous tutorial videos and create a new video about vector states, and put some actual music into end of it.

• @Hypertonal

Good move updating the free version. I can finally have a real go with it. My interest in your full version has now jumped up ;)

• @Hypertonal thanks, keep up the good work. I sense more people are discovering just how good this app is :) ps don't forget to add more save slots for synth presets.

• @Hypertonal said:
    Good news, everyone! After many suggestions and wishes, I decided to change the lite version into more like the full mg but without save/load/midi/ab/import/etc features. Next update to mg maybe out on next week, going to add midi cc learning subsystem, fix the vector state machine a lot, add a metronome and again some gui fixes. Also going to add texts into previous tutorial videos and create a new video about vector states, and put some actual music into end of it.

The more complex and deep/capable/inscrutable any app is the more urgent it is for there to be videos for folks to learn what they can really do with it. This seems self-evident but is an ongoing weakness in this market. I have been holding off buying this because it seems/feels from the outside like 'another opaque noisemaker I'll never get the hang off', but comments upthread have convinced me it's probably worth the effort. More video how-tos will only lead to converting more users into disciples who will do your marketing for you. I hope to be one :)

• Apparently iOS 10 has changed some policies concerning app settings saving, not allowing the current way of writing the settings file into right path. So before next update, it's not possible to change color theme, language and sample rate.. or is someone able to this ?

• @Hypertonal said:
    Apparently iOS 10 has changed some policies concerning app settings saving, not allowing the current way of writing the settings file into right path. So before next update, it's not possible to change color theme, language and sample rate.. or is someone able to this ?

I'm on iOS10, and can't change color theme, language, or sample rate. I can see them, but they don't change on restart. Not an issue, but I'd prefer at least the sample rate change worked.

• edited October 2016

@soundklinik said:
    Ok, we're all fanboys of good stuff... :)

Did you watch video#2? (With a loop import and slicing)

I loaded a loop and sliced it. And found out that EACH segment (slice) is adjustable for pitch, volume, pan, etc?...and its variations :o
    Also the sensitivity is adjustable and you can add up to 12 slices or segments, adjustable in Tuning...
    Than run it into Matrix???.....this is so fantastic.... I got a great beat going with variations, like Amen break shuffling...and that's just one track used...

It's starting to make sense in parts....the deeper I go into the app, the more I see and understand from the videos...it's overwhelming in the beginning

LOL, I didn't even get to MIDI out yet.....

Well, that's something I didn't know. I did watch video#2, but I didn't know the slicing could be that customizable. Need to dive back into that area. Thx! :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The more complex and deep/capable/inscrutable any app is the more urgent it is for there to be videos for folks to learn what they can really do with it. This seems self-evident but is an ongoing weakness in this market. I have been holding off buying this because it seems/feels from the outside like 'another opaque noisemaker I'll never get the hang off', but comments upthread have convinced me it's probably worth the effort. More video how-tos will only lead to converting more users into disciples who will do your marketing for you. I hope to be one :)

The developer made 5 really good videos, covering various (basic) functions.
    My advice is watch one video at a time and try to reproduce what is in video and then play with the idea.
    Before getting the app I watched them all in one swoop, but there is so much information that I didn't even notice until I tried to reproduce it, had to go back to it and rewatch it few times...
    If anyone is waiting for Doug's video...good luck...lol...

I think there is something special about discovering an app on your own, it gives me more understanding of what it does, instead of someone handing me the information...
    Not lecturing you... ;) ....or anyone...it's a matter of choice

• For those who have this app... after @soundklinik posted about the sample slicer, I went back to check it out in more detail. Very spectacular being able to slice up to 12 pieces per sample, and to be able to tweak each sample slice individually, but there's one thin I'm having trouble figuring out.

After the sample is sliced up you've selected the slice you want to alter the parameters of, how do you find which touch key corresponds to each slice? I peck around until I find them, but sometimes none of the keys will trigger one or two different slices. I know it's a matter of tuning and scale. Eventually I find the right combo so that I can trigger each slice with the touch keys, but I'd like to figure out exactly what's going on so as to take out a little of the guess work each time.

• edited October 2016

Skip, once you slice them, they correspond to the keys automatically. However, choose a 12 key scale chromatic (if u got 12 slices) and refresh! And reload, they are assigned to keys automatically...and you should hear each step as you push the keys.

Sometimes I find the exe buttons a bit difficult to activate, sometimes have to push a couple of times, like random...

• @soundklinik said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

The developer made 5 really good videos, covering various (basic) functions.
    My advice is watch one video at a time and try to reproduce what is in video and then play with the idea.
    Before getting the app I watched them all in one swoop, but there is so much information that I didn't even notice until I tried to reproduce it, had to go back to it and rewatch it few times...
    If anyone is waiting for Doug's video...good luck...lol...

I think there is something special about discovering an app on your own, it gives me more understanding of what it does, instead of someone handing me the information...
    Not lecturing you... ;) ....or anyone...it's a matter of choice

Glad you're weren't lecturing me. Got a little confused about that for a second :) Only looked at the first video so far and it's great they've been made, but for everything they elucidate they also confuse. The app is not the most intuitive and the video seems cut from the same cloth.

Your whole notion of

I think there is something special about discovering an app on your own, it gives me more understanding of what >it does, instead of someone handing me the information...

does come off as somewhat holier-than-thou. I want to make the music in my head, as opposed to solving a puzzle. I am certainly a supporter of a number of apps that have rewarded the investment of my time, I hope that this turns out to be one of them.

• @soundklinik said:
    Skip, once you slice them, they correspond to the keys automatically. However, choose a 12 key scale chromatic (if u got 12 slices) and refresh! And reload, they are assigned to keys automatically...and you should hear each step as you push the keys.

Sometimes I find the exe buttons a bit difficult to activate, sometimes have to push a couple of times, like random...

I sort of figured that out, but it wasn't consistent. I think what I was doing wrong was not always remembering to refresh. :) thx

• @skiphunt said:
    Just bought this.

Oh boy... This is going to take awhile. Feels like I was just handed the audio equivalent of that insidiously bizarre box from Hellraiser. Going to lose some sleep for sure.

Pinhead: Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

LeMarchand's box! Wonder what they made those trinkling sounds with, when the box is being opened... ahhh Kirstie...so eager to play...so reluctant to admit it

• @Ocsprey said:

@skiphunt said:
    Just bought this.

Oh boy... This is going to take awhile. Feels like I was just handed the audio equivalent of that insidiously bizarre box from Hellraiser. Going to lose some sleep for sure.

Pinhead: Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

LeMarchand's box! Wonder what they made those trinkling sounds with, when the box is being opened... ahhh Kirstie...so eager to play...so reluctant to admit it

Just rewatched it recently. Still holds up I think. But, those wiggling latex flesh pieces look a little silly in HD now. ;)

The design elements of that LeMarchand's box would be a killer look for the Dhalang UI.