Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FRUM

18910111214»

Comments

• I'm still very much enjoying this app. Though, I don't typically feel like I've got a very good command of it. It's like playing around... and sometimes I get lucky and it's sounding great. Then I try to get lightning to strike again and I get a chaotic mess.

Does seem that I get lucky more often than chaotic messes though. Got more than my $3 worth a long time ago. :)

• @srcer said:

@Proppa said:
    There's been so much focus on the Data / Privacy / ESL issue that what> @skiphunt said:

I'm still very much enjoying this app. Though, I don't typically feel like I've got a very good command of it. It's like playing around... and sometimes I get lucky and it's sounding great. Then I try to get lightning to strike again and I get a chaotic mess.

Does seem that I get lucky more often than chaotic messes though. Got more than my $3 worth a long time ago. :)

Feel the same way.

What makes me come back to it, is the design of the app and the sound, that is very peculiar.
    I mean the synth engine is sick and you can really get some special tunes out of it.
    Also like to listen songs made by other people on the "Timeline".

• @Matver61 said:

@srcer said:

@Proppa said:
    There's been so much focus on the Data / Privacy / ESL issue that what> @skiphunt said:

I'm still very much enjoying this app. Though, I don't typically feel like I've got a very good command of it. It's like playing around... and sometimes I get lucky and it's sounding great. Then I try to get lightning to strike again and I get a chaotic mess.

Feel the same way.

What makes me come back to it, is the design of the app and the sound, that is very peculiar.
    I mean the synth engine is sick and you can really get some special tunes out of it.
    Also like to listen songs made by other people on the "Timeline".

Yeah, I like checking out what others are doing on that timeline to. I'm like, "wow! How the hell did they get THAT sound out of it?!"

• Anyone made any music with this yet?

• @MonzoPro said:
    Anyone made any music with this yet?

Define this... "music"

• @srcer said:

@Proppa said:

Quirks abound but personally the tradeoff is overwhelmingly worth it.

I'm so close to buying, I really want Link, that's the only deal breaker for me (I can deal with save and copy which it has now), but I'm tempted to go ahead and make an exception as a show of support :)

It's difficult for me to imagine anyone regretting the price of entry on this one but admittedly I couldn't be more biased.

• Finally found some time to check this one out.

It's pretty cool. Glad you can record audio now (although it would be a lot better if it only started recording when you hit play).

For creating bleepy kits for Abu in Gadget it's going to be great. Just need to sequence 16 (or 8) evenly spaced hits using the in built sequencer. Record and export to Audioshare, trim to the exact bar and import into Gadget.

That's probably how I'll use it most. Although it's a slight shame because the motion sequencing it lets you do on the sounds is great. And so is playing chromatically.

Two questions:

1. I don't understand why, when you hit the random (which I assume is the button with the insect in it in the centre of the synth page?) the sound changes but none of the synth controls change! Surely they should change to reflect the settings of the new sound?

2. I need to try midi in, but what's the mapping to notes? Is it a case of having to select one of the pads and then the midi keyboard plays that sound chromatically? If so, how do you trigger the other pads?

• edited October 2016

@anickt said:

@MonzoPro said:

Define this... "music"

I love all this stuff, just wanted to listen to what the forum members were doing with it - there's usually a few tracks and vids up by now but I haven't been able to find anything. Has anyone been able to use it on finished tracks? I did a thing with it when I first bought it, but I wouldn't want to inflict it on the masses.

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

1. I don't understand why, when you hit the random (which I assume is the button with the insect in it in the centre of the synth page?) the sound changes but none of the synth controls change! Surely they should change to reflect the settings of the new sound?

Yeah I noticed that before I deleted it - maybe it's down to the way the app connects to the web and it doesn't refresh or something.

• edited October 2016

Finally found some time to check this one out.

It's pretty cool. Glad you can record audio now (although it would be a lot better if it only started recording when you hit play).

For creating bleepy kits for Abu in Gadget it's going to be great. Just need to sequence 16 (or 8) evenly spaced hits using the in built sequencer. Record and export to Audioshare, trim to the exact bar and import into Gadget.

That's probably how I'll use it most. Although it's a slight shame because the motion sequencing it lets you do on the sounds is great. And so is playing chromatically.

Two questions:

2. I need to try midi in, but what's the mapping to notes? Is it a case of having to select one of the pads and then the midi keyboard plays that sound chromatically? If so, how do you trigger the other pads?

RE question 1, you are randomising the FM waveform not the synth controls ;)

• It's got some great stuff going on, just needs some connectivity for further FX fun.

• @mireko_2 said:

Two questions:

Oh, cool. Thanks.

So is that bug icon the only way to change the FM waveform?

And that's the only 'randomise' button (which actually no longer sounds like a randomise button).

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@mireko_2 said:

Two questions:

Oh, cool. Thanks.

And that's the only 'randomise' button (which actually no longer sounds like a randomise button).

You can send cc's to it, so I've been using my Lemur CC randomize template, but because it doesn't have a midi port and listens to everything, I think the best way is to use another device to send midi to it since I think background midi also isn't working yet.

• @Carnbot said:

@mireko_2 said:

Two questions:

Oh, cool. Thanks.

You can send cc's to it, so I've been using my Lemur CC randomize template, but because it doesn't have a midi port and listens to everything, I think the best way is to use another device to send midi to it since I think background midi also isn't working yet.

@MonzoPro said:

Mat - Seat Belt http://song.frum.jp/?cST0r2FcSr

Ok, nothing from another world but I thought it would be cool to post other thing than words on this thread. ;)

• @Matver61 said:

@Carnbot said:

@mireko_2 said:

Two questions:

Oh, cool. Thanks.

@MonzoPro said:

Mat - Seat Belt http://song.frum.jp/?cST0r2FcSr

Ok, nothing from another world but I thought it would be cool to post other thing than words on this thread. ;)

Shit, this link is not valid for non FRUM users.

• Here you go.

• @Matver61 said:

Here you go.

Nice one, thanks :) I like the bass sound that comes in at about 20 seconds, got a Kraftwerk feel to it.

• I regret showing my wife the privacy policy from this controversial app. Now she won't let me use it on HER iPad :/

• @MonzoPro said:

@Matver61 said:

Here you go.

Nice one, thanks :) I like the bass sound that comes in at about 20 seconds, got a Kraftwerk feel to it.

Thanks!

• so is there another randomizer button somewhere else in the app?

• @kobamoto said:
    so is there another randomizer button somewhere else in the app?

Don't think so @kobamoto, didn't find anything like it.

However, as a little "trick", I found out is that you can load whatever song you want on the Timeline, and you get on screen, the correspondent project with all the settings from the user who made the song (editable).

I mean when you hear something you like from a song, you can load it and save whatever sound from it. Don't know any other app that behave like this.

• @Matver61 said:

@kobamoto said:
    so is there another randomizer button somewhere else in the app?

Don't think so @kobamoto, didn't find anything like it.

However, as a little "trick", I found out is that you can load whatever song you want on the Timeline, and you get on screen, the correspondent project with all the settings from the user who made the song (editable).

I mean when you hear something you like from a song, you can load it and save whatever sound from it. Don't know any other app that behave like this.

oh nice find, thanks for the tip

• So now that the paranoia (and the cottonmouth) have had a chance to wear off. Maybe we can talk about the sound of FRUM some more. I keep telling myself to wait for Link. Then I go and listen to (is funky the right term?) and (Zelda anyone? See what I did there?) and say, just get it anyways. So, in order than I might make a proper rationalization, what say you on its fitness for learning FM synthesis? I mean sure, Phasemaker is probably the top pick now, but that's unfortunately not making it to my iPhone today. I could console myself with FRUM if I might learn FM well from it in the mean time :)

• Please...please......please....free this creature !!!!!

• @Nkersov said:

@MonzoPro said:

@cl516 said:
    Very capable of great sounds though. Features can surely be added later.

I'm not going to be fooled by that old chestnut again. No Audiobus, no purchase.

Yes, it could be another Skram. Also, it sounds like Clive Sinclair's alarm clock.

Skram, quite a descriptive word for a bad IOS experience.

Been skrammed once, not gonna be skrammed again!

Having said that. As @JohnnyGoodyear alluded: if it sounds good it might be worth supporting the dev as if he stops here that 'something beautiful' might never happen.

• I've just left that sound cloud playing for a while. Great sounds there but I feel it is more a testimony of a great talent of the creator as a musician (possibly not same person?). So yes, buying a strat might be the first step to playing like Jimmy...but there will definitely be a need of those few steps in between.

• Still love this app. Can get crazy sounds and patterns going very quickly. The UI is pretty good too. Some things like text are a little small that is all. and no IAA

• edited December 2016

@supadom said:

Yes, it could be another Skram. Also, it sounds like Clive Sinclair's alarm clock.

Skram, quite a descriptive word for a bad IOS experience.

Been skrammed once, not gonna be skrammed again!

Having said that. As @JohnnyGoodyear alluded: if it sounds good it might be worth supporting the dev as if he stops here that 'something beautiful' might never happen.

Aside from some blips and squeaks I couldn't get much going with it when I had it. Fun for a couple of quid, but it's a web app and doesn't work without an internet connection or save onto disk.

• it has great sounds but really needs midi control to make it awesome.

• edited December 2016

@eross said:
    it has great sounds but really needs midi control to make it awesome.

yeah I was thinking of getting a beatstep to work with it. that would be great