Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mixer to connect 3 iPad outputs

Hello all,

Can you suggest a reasonably priced live sound mixer to connect 3 iPads output to an amp?

I saw Yamaha AG06 6-Channel Mixer/Interface for $200. Is this good? What do you guys use in similar situation?

Comments

• edited September 2016

I use a Yamaha MG10XU. I've currently got an iPad, Macbook Pro, bass/guitar and analogue synth hooked up to it and there's still four channels spare. The iPad and laptop use 4 channel inputs, so I can split the stereo from each, and I either use two 1/4 inch outs to an external amp, or connect it via the USB socket for recording onto computer.

Good little mixer - decent price (£165) and plenty of EQ and built-in FX to play with. Gets a bit warm but does the job, and there's space to connect another couple of iPads if I had them.

• I recently bought the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB. There are quite a few YouTube offerings to peruse from. I'm quite happy with it.

• @Kandavu said:
    I recently bought the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB. There are quite a few YouTube offerings to peruse from. I'm quite happy with it.

I've heard the Xenyx's have non-standard, low quality power supplies

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@Kandavu said:
    I recently bought the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB. There are quite a few YouTube offerings to peruse from. I'm quite happy with it.

Can't speak to the quality, but them being non standard is necessity, because they have multiple polarities, like + and - 12 volts. It's a special power supply with a weird plug for a reason. Unlike Apple!

• edited September 2016

I've used a behringer 1002C for keyboards and it has been decent. It is very small, and sturdy. 4 of the 6 channels are stereo, which is very special for mini mixers.

My complaints with it are that it lacks mute buttons per channel, but that is often a sacrifice with mini mixers. I wish there was a way to bypass the eq, for a more minimal signal path, but you only get that with big, pro analog mixers.

There are the super tiny, minimal line mixers, like the Art PowerMix III or the Rolls MX28. There's the behringer mx400, if you only need mono, $29. Ask yourself if you need mic preamps, panning, EQ, gain, and seperate monitor mixes. If not, one of those style line mixers would do the trick, in a cheaper, smaller format.

• Xenyx are great only for the price, especially the ones with fx section.
    I noticed on the bigger Xenyx mixers that they tend to boost the tremble when using many channels...and the built-in EQ , can fortunately be bypassed !
    But for the money I would certainly buy one.
    For 3 iPads the 802 is small unless you use the mic/line inputs and pan them hard, or use the cd/tape-in (loosing the EQ)

I bought a used discontinued Soundcraft Compact8 because of the unique routing . Not great quality but the most flexible mixer on the world....
    Just stay away from Phonic and Alto mixers....

• You could always use an IConnectAudio4+ interface, and connect 2 of the iPads direct through the lightning ports, then send the output of the 3rd into one of the stereo inputs on the front panel. Still leaves you another stereo pair if needed. Use the software mixer to set levels.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@Kandavu said:

NO. WAY!?

• @rad3d said:
    You could always use an IConnectAudio4+ interface, and connect 2 of the iPads direct through the lightning ports, then send the output of the 3rd into one of the stereo inputs on the front panel. Still leaves you another stereo pair if needed. Use the software mixer to set levels.

I would have mentioned this too but it seems like it's outside his budget.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@rad3d said:
    You could always use an IConnectAudio4+ interface, and connect 2 of the iPads direct through the lightning ports, then send the output of the 3rd into one of the stereo inputs on the front panel. Still leaves you another stereo pair if needed. Use the software mixer to set levels.

I thought he just mentioned inexpensive, then relayed he was looking at a $200 Yamaha mixer. Not sure I'd consider <$300 expensive. There's at least one on Ebay right now <$260.

I use mine live with 3 iPads. Small, compact and mix settings are saved. Great live unit, IMO.

• @rad3d said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@rad3d said:

I thought he just mentioned inexpensive, then relayed he was looking at a $200 Yamaha mixer. Not sure I'd consider <$300 expensive. There's at least one on Ebay right now <$260.

I use mine live with 3 iPads. Small, compact and mix settings are saved. Great live unit, IMO.

Didnt realise it was so cheap there lol. I bought mine here in India and it came to almost 400$. I use mine with an iPad, a laptop and 3 volcas :)

• edited September 2016

3 iPads ? What a strange idea ! ;)
    Berhinger's are indeed very nice for the price , I have a qx 1222usb.
    I like the effect section.

I must say that I really like the specs of your Yamaha , I don't get yet what effects are included , but usb , compact , as Yamaha is a good brand I think I would go for that...

• Thank you all for the suggestions. :)
    I think I'll give Yamaha this one as there is a Yamaha dealer where I live (in Sri Lanka) and price seem reasonable at around $350.

• MG10XU Here, too
    Best thing i got

• I shall have to get this idea of mine up on Kickstarter to compete with all the pasta salads up there:
    https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1B4J5fLphr8j1Ox0iCXX9g5BWoIAzhUno05svST-0QC0

• i am thinking about getting an ipad air 2 via verizon 16 bucks a month-- to go with my pro 12.9 INSTEAD of a midi keyboard/controller. it actually makes way more sense because of how much more it can offer and it's almost the same price. trying to figure out how to explain this to my wife, a bit trickier.

• @LeonLeroy said:
    i am thinking about getting an ipad air 2 via verizon 16 bucks a month-- to go with my pro 12.9 INSTEAD of a midi keyboard/controller. it actually makes way more sense because of how much more it can offer and it's almost the same price. trying to figure out how to explain this to my wife, a bit trickier.

I think a good keyboard would be more value, just my opinion of course

• Hello all, I was also looking at the Yamaha MG10XU and Xenyx Q502 but I have no prior experience using ios device with USB mixer (i've used mixers for years but using their 1/4" inputs with guitars and keyboards)

I was hoping to find one or two of the looper/drum/DJ apps where I could have at least 4 individual outs so that I could adjust the EQ/volume/FX for each kick/snare/sample on the mixer.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

• edited June 2017

if you connect such a mixer via a powered hub to an IOS device it shows up as a single stereo input/output unit.
    The channels are not accessible individually. They are a hell to setup even for traditional guitar/vocal stuff if signal separation is a concern and never get beyond a compromise.

I'm not aware of any budget unit that shows it's channel inputs as individual destinations in IOS. Some show their mixer channel output as an IOS input, but that's the reverse of what you're after.
    The classical solution is a multichannel USB interface featuring single outputs and connect those to a Mixer. Not cheapo and much cable salad.

A more viable (imho) approach would be to delegate the mixer job to an app that can handle the output of multiple apps - Kymatica's AUM comes to mind as it's easy to setup AND easy to handle even on touch only.
    Never checked the details but afaik the faders can be set to midi controllers if you really need something between fingertips.
    There's a wide variety in handling touch response, not all apps do this equally.
    Imho the 'better' ones can keep up with physical faders and dials and some even outperform their real-world counterparts.

• @rad3d said:

I connect 4 devices this way. Or 2 iPads with stereo and 4 mono idevices.

• edited June 2017

@Telefunky said:
    if you connect such a mixer via a powered hub to an IOS device it shows up as a single stereo input/output unit.
    The channels are not accessible individually. They are a hell to setup even for traditional guitar/vocal stuff if signal separation is a concern and never get beyond a compromise.

I'm not aware of any budget unit that shows it's channel inputs as individual destinations in IOS. Some show their mixer channel output as an IOS input, but that's the reverse of what you're after.
    The classical solution is a multichannel USB interface featuring single outputs and connect those to a Mixer. Not cheapo and much cable salad.

A more viable (imho) approach would be to delegate the mixer job to an app that can handle the output of multiple apps - Kymatica's AUM comes to mind as it's easy to setup AND easy to handle even on touch only.
    Never checked the details but afaik the faders can be set to midi controllers if you really need something between fingertips.
    There's a wide variety in handling touch response, not all apps do this equally.
    Imho the 'better' ones can keep up with physical faders and dials and some even outperform their real-world counterparts.

Thanks @Telefunky - I've actually had AUM for awhile but never used it for this specific reason. Will try it out and report back.

Wow, that Allen-Heath has a reasonable price still within my budget so maybe will consider that vs the Yamaha allthough I like how the Yamaha has compression on two channels as I wanted to live instruments through them. Thanks for the tips @DeVlaeminck

• Why not to use a 3 channel dj mixer? You can find bargains from vestax or similar on second hand market.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Why not to use a 3 channel dj mixer? You can find bargains from vestax or similar on second hand market.

Any particular models you recommend? Also, with that setup, is there a way to play live instruments through it as I thought dj mixers usually only have line inputs so there'd have to be an actual preamp somewhere in that setup vs a traditional mixer that has pres. I'm actually looking to perform with a DJ so would be great to use an actual DJ mixer but not sure about the live instruments part.

• edited June 2017

Some dj mixers have mic input (some even 2) but if you are going to need instruments into the mixer then I will go the small mixer (xenyx like) route and dj mixer for the dj (:V)
    Maybe you should draw yourself the wished set in mixing terms to find a solution that fit your needs properly.

For only 3 iPads (and a mic) an old vestax mixer (pcv180 i.e.) could do the job properly.

• edited June 2017

@Dubbylabby said:
    Some dj mixers have mic input (some even 2) but if you are going to need instruments into the mixer then I will go the small mixer (cents like) route and dj mixer for the dj (:V)
    Maybe you should draw yourself the wished set in mixing terms to find a solution that fit your needs properly.

For only 3 iPads (and a mic) an old vestax mixer (pcv180 i.e.) could do the job properly.

Was under the impression that the OP needed multichannel output for processing on iPad, confused it with another thread. Sry about that.

• edited June 2017

Hello all, I just bought the Yamaha MG10XU but as my situation is slightly different from OP, don't want to derail this thread to my specific situation so started this thread instead:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19364/please-help-using-drum-app-such-as-seekbeats-with-individual-outs-via-aum-into-hardware-mixer#latest

Basically I'm NOT able to have access to the 10 channels via Yamaha mixer, only L+R or L or R via AUM.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read your response @Telefunky

@Telefunky said:

You are correct in that it only shows up as a single stereo input/output. Lame. Sorry, need to vent. But for some reason I though I could access all the individual drum parts via a hardware mixer and AUM.

@DeVlaeminck - Just to confirm. Would you happen to know if those 3 mixers (specifically the Zedi as it's the cheapest) have ability to work with AUM to have multiple individual outs with it's own channel in those mixers or only one similar to the scenario me and Telefunky described with the Yamaha MG10XU?

• @gjcyrus Sorry, I cannot specifically confirm compliance with AUM for any of these. But there is a list of mixers and interfaces that works with Auria, which is a good indication:
    http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

• @gjcyrus said:
    Hello all, I just bought the Yamaha MG10XU but as my situation is slightly different from OP, don't want to derail this thread to my specific situation so started this thread instead:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19364/please-help-using-drum-app-such-as-seekbeats-with-individual-outs-via-aum-into-hardware-mixer#latest

Basically I'm NOT able to have access to the 10 channels via Yamaha mixer, only L+R or L or R via AUM.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read your response @Telefunky

@Telefunky said:

You are correct in that it only shows up as a single stereo input/output. Lame. Sorry, need to vent. But for some reason I though I could access all the individual drum parts via a hardware mixer and AUM.

@DeVlaeminck - Just to confirm. Would you happen to know if those 3 mixers (specifically the Zedi as it's the cheapest) have ability to work with AUM to have multiple individual outs with it's own channel in those mixers or only one similar to the scenario me and Telefunky described with the Yamaha MG10XU?

pretty much the only mixer that has what you want, 10 ins and 8 outs, Is the Keith Mcmillen K-mix. it also lets you add the mixers own effects before sending it to AUM to record.