Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PLEASE HELP: Using drum app (such as Seekbeats) with individual outs via AUM into hardware mixer?

Hello all,

I'm trying to use Seekbeats (but could also be Different Drummer, Patterning, etc) with AUM to route the individual drum parts to it's own channel via a Yamaha MG10XU. While on AUM, it does give me the option to separate each output from Seekbeats to it's own channel to AUM input, BUT the AUM output will only give me option to a USB/Hardware output L + R or L or R.

NOT the 10 different drum parts I'd been hoping to mix via hardware mixer.

I wanted to be able to adjust the EQ/level/fx for each part such as snare, hi-hat, etc. NOT all of them at same time.

Am I doing something wrong or is it the limitation of this particular mixer?

I'm really bummed as I've got all these cool rhythms going on in Seekbeats but I can't do anything with the mixer. What's the point of even having a USB port on this mixer then if I don't have access to the onboard FX and EQ.

Thanks in advance!
GJ

Comments

• Yamaha MG10XU - 10-Input Mixer with Built-In FX and 2-In/2-Out USB Interface

Sounds like you don't have 10x outputs, just 2. Most USB mixers are like that, they don't have a bunch of channels to get stuff out of the software, onto individual mixer channels.

• Looks like your mixer model treats the USB input the same way it treats an audio input.

• Yup. It's your mixer. You only have 2 ins and 2 outs via USB.

• Is there any mixer that could do this?

• Thanks all for your replies!

@Processaurus said:

Yamaha MG10XU - 10-Input Mixer with Built-In FX and 2-In/2-Out USB Interface

Sounds like you don't have 10x outputs, just 2. Most USB mixers are like that, they don't have a bunch of channels to get stuff out of the software, onto individual mixer channels.

Yes, you're right, it's not even 2, just one channel.

@1P18 said:
    Looks like your mixer model treats the USB input the same way it treats an audio input.

Yes, which is lame because what's the point then of even having the USB then? I had to spend $35 for the camera connection kit and an extra $30 to $50 for the more expensive USB version of this mixer when I could've just used a 1/8th " to 1/4" connector to accomplish the same result

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Yup. It's your mixer. You only have 2 ins and 2 outs via USB.

Not even 2, just one

@BiancaNeve said:
    Is there any mixer that could do this?

I'm hoping the allen heath mixer zedi has this capability

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zedi-10FX/

• edited June 2017

The Allen Heath mixer is 4 in 4 out .......so no chance.

But why not use Aum to do the eq/fx per channel anyway?

• @BiancaNeve Ideally I was looking for 8 channels but am ok with 4 channels at minimum so if it's possible with the Allen Heath mixer, then that will be my solution.

The reason I'm wanting a external hardware solution vs using ios mixing is I'm planning on doing a lot of live mixing and need that "feel" of the knobs vs pushing a flat screen.

• @gjcyrus said:
    @BiancaNeve Ideally I was looking for 8 channels but am ok with 4 channels at minimum so if it's possible with the Allen Heath mixer, then that will be my solution.

The reason I'm wanting a external hardware solution vs using ios mixing is I'm planning on doing a lot of live mixing and need that "feel" of the knobs vs pushing a flat screen.

I have the k-mix 8 in 8 out. I've done exactly what you're trying to do. Works great with AUM

• @gjcyrus said:
    Yes, which is lame because what's the point then of even having the USB then? I had to spend $35 for the camera connection kit and an extra $30 to $50 for the more expensive USB version of this mixer when I could've just used a 1/8th " to 1/4" connector to accomplish the same result

I guess the big advantage is that it's a digital interface which does not send your audio through another round of digital to analog converters only to be re-digitized immediately again.

• @Dchild said:

@gjcyrus said:
    @BiancaNeve Ideally I was looking for 8 channels but am ok with 4 channels at minimum so if it's possible with the Allen Heath mixer, then that will be my solution.

You could just get a control surface then.

• @BiancaNeve said:

Looks like this one has 16 channel USB connection:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR18

At least from what I can tell.

@gjcyrus If you're looking for that tactile feel of hardware you might want to consider a MIDI controller to use with AUM. Korg has their "nano" series made with iOS in mind, with the nanoKontrol being specifically for a mixer.

• edited June 2017

@1P18 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Not even 2, just one

left and right channels count as 2 seperate inputs/outputs.
    so 2/2 is actually 1 stereo in and 1 stereo out.

• @1P18 said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@gjcyrus If you're looking for that tactile feel of hardware you might want to consider a MIDI controller to use with AUM. Korg has their "nano" series made with iOS in mind, with the nanoKontrol being specifically for a mixer.

@1P18 - Many thanks! The nanoKontrol might just be the solution I was looking for!

@Dchild said:

@gjcyrus said:

I have the k-mix 8 in 8 out. I've done exactly what you're trying to do. Works great with AUM

Yes, the k-mix looks perfect but it's out of my budget at $500-ish

@brambos said:

@gjcyrus said:

I guess the big advantage is that it's a digital interface which does not send your audio through another round of digital to analog converters only to be re-digitized immediately again.

From the mixer, it'd be going straight to speakers so only one conversion of digital to analog similar to just plugging in a keyboard into an amp for a live gig via a guitar cable. But I see your point for certain setups. I was feeling frustrated earlier so was negative. Thanks for reply

@BiancaNeve said:

@Dchild said:

@gjcyrus said:

Yes, I think that's why the nanokontrol seems to be a good option. Are there any control surface mixers any of you like other than nanokontrol?

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@1P18 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Not even 2, just one

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I should've been more specific in that I want specific control over each channel such as panning/EQ/FX over each part.

• edited June 2017

@gjcyrus said:

@1P18 said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@1P18 - Many thanks! The nanoKontrol might just be the solution I was looking for!

@Dchild said:

@gjcyrus said:

Yes, the k-mix looks perfect but it's out of my budget at $500-ish

@brambos said:

@gjcyrus said:

From the mixer, it'd be going straight to speakers so only one conversion of digital to analog similar to just plugging in a keyboard into an amp for a live gig via a guitar cable. But I see your point for certain setups. I was feeling frustrated earlier so was negative. Thanks for reply

@BiancaNeve said:

@Dchild said:

@gjcyrus said:

Yes, I think that's why the nanokontrol seems to be a good option. Are there any control surface mixers any of you like other than nanokontrol?

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@1P18 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Not even 2, just one

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I should've been more specific in that I want specific control over each channel such as panning/EQ/FX over each part.

The nanokontrol is just a controller. You still need a hardware interface if you want multiple physical outs. If you're ok mixing virtually inside Aum the launchcontrol xl is fantastic. https://us.novationmusic.com/launch/launch-control-xl

• edited June 2017

@gonekrazy3000 Thanks for the launchcontrol xl tip! Do you or anybody else have opinions on launchcontrol xl vs nano kontrol for working with AUM/Seekbeats?

As for physical outs, my buddy has a cheapo mixer where I can just plug in output from iphone/launchcontrol/nanokontrol (using 1/8th " adaptor) As long as I can mix in the different drum parts from Seekbeats via controller controlling each parameter (ex. adding more fx to hi-hat and dropping kick and bringing it back in), then don't need multiple physical outs anymore.

Thanks again all!!!

• @gjcyrus said:
    @gonekrazy3000 Thanks for the launchcontrol xl tip! Do you or anybody else have opinions on launchcontrol xl vs nano kontrol for working with AUM/Seekbeats?

As for physical outs, my buddy has a cheapo mixer where I can just plug in output from iphone/launchcontrol/nanokontrol (using 1/8th " adaptor) As long as I can mix in the different drum parts from Seekbeats via controller controlling each parameter (ex. adding more fx to hi-hat and dropping kick and bringing it back in), then don't need multiple physical outs anymore.

Thanks again all!!!

The launchcontrol works well for that purpose. Aum let's you midi control pretty much everything via midi learn. Even Aux parameters. Also the launchcontrol Xl has 8 user pages. So that's actually 8 times all the faders knobs and buttons. A ludicrous amount of controls for most people lol. I mostly just use a single page.

• edited June 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@gjcyrus said:

Thanks again all!!!

The launchcontrol works well for that purpose. Aum let's you midi control pretty much everything via midi learn. Even Aux parameters. Also the launchcontrol Xl has 8 user pages. So that's actually 8 times all the faders knobs and buttons. A ludicrous amount of controls for most people lol. I mostly just use a single page.

thanks @gonekrazy3000 !

That's two votes for launchcontrol so I'll give it a shot tmrw but as I just posted in the other thread, @crony mentioned in an old thread that using AUM with a controller in a live situation possibly increases the chances of crashing due to all the numberic timetables? Any idea what that means?

• @gjcyrus said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@gjcyrus said:

Thanks again all!!!

thanks @gonekrazy3000 !

That's two votes for launchcontrol so I'll give it a shot tmrw but as I just posted in the other thread, @crony mentioned in an old thread that using AUM with a controller in a live situation possibly increases the chances of crashing due to all the numberic timetables? Any idea what that means?

Er. What ? I have no idea since I don't own seekbeats. I use Aum all the time with multiple apps and Au plugins. As long as you don't overload the CPU you should be fine. Just increase the number of samples to 256 if required.