Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New AUx plug, virtual Indian instruments

Comments

• edited August 2016

@Fitz said:
    Quick test, Fugue Machine works fine. Forgot to mention, with; both arps I was hosting SwarPlug in Aum. Not sure if it sees midi as a stand alone.

>

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. Working in AUM would be fine. I listened to the sample selection on the link provided in this thread and found some interesting sounds. Now I'm thinking get the basic app, and just add a couple or three samples. At least until the developer gets a better idea as to pricing.

• edited August 2016

Has anyone gotten multiple AUv3 SwarPlug instances to work? Which host?

• @philowerx said:

It actually doesn't load at all for me anymore, not even a single instance.

• @sirdavidabraham said:

@philowerx said:

Well that is... Crappy. Have you tried a delete/reboot/reinstall?

• @AudioGus said:

@sirdavidabraham said:

@philowerx said:

Well that is... Crappy. Have you tried a delete/reboot/reinstall?

Yes indeed, though I am on iOS10 beta so It could be related. But every other AU I have loads fine.

• I loaded 2 instances in Aum. Played 1 with StepPloyArp and the other with Fugue Machine. Worked fine. iPad Pro 12

• edited August 2016

There are more demos on the developers site, link below, plus an AU Indian drum machine called SwarGroove, which would be great ported to IOS.

http://swarsystems.com/

• My absolute favorite Indian instrument app is iTablaPro. Its been around for ages. It's not a samples-based app, though, but a performance app. It has one tabla, two tanpuras, swar mandal, manjira, and sur peti. It has a full mixer to control levels for each and an extensive library of rhythms, taals. I use it to practice guitar and bass and have used it occasionally for a composition.

When it first came out the developer updated it more frequently than any other app I've had. The update frequency is now like the average stable app plus it's always been updated for new iOS versions. A very responsive developer.

• @miguelmarcos said:
    It's not a samples-based app, though, but a performance app.

Intriguing, so is it modelled or synthesized then? I love tablas (bought an authentic set in New Delhi, last time I was in India) but I've never seen a good non-sampled tabla synth.

• It does not sound synthesized but I don't know for sure. Also, forgot to mention: it works with Audiobus. I've got bad wifi right now but if you look up iTablaPro in YouTube the first video is from thesoundtestroom. Further down is a demo of version 3 from the developer.

• I use the Handsonic. Had it for about 12 years now. Still sounds good.

• @brambos said:

@miguelmarcos said:
    It's not a samples-based app, though, but a performance app.

Intriguing, so is it modelled or synthesized then? I love tablas (bought an authentic set in New Delhi, last time I was in India) but I've never seen a good non-sampled tabla synth.

the description on the shop page may be misleading: it's called the first electronic tabla that sounds like the real thing.
    I don't think it's modelled for the size of the app, some 50MB.
    Lacked Audiobus support for a very long time, but now it's finally there.
    One of the more expensive rhythm apps, but the collection of authentic 'grooves' is second to none.

Another app with strong 'ethnic' appeal is Beatvibe if it comes to Flamenco and latin stuff.
    It can do regular beats, too, but has it's strengths in 12 based rhythms.
    Supports smaller subsections of the bar than regular drum machines which it displays in proper rhythmic notation when you move a hit on the timeline.
    Lot's of great clapping and percussion included, easy to record defined number of bars and song backings.

• @pichi said:
    I use the Handsonic. Had it for about 12 years now. Still sounds good.

Indeed... I own one as well! Has a brilliant Indian percussion section. A classic instrument.. still unsurpassed as far as I'm concerned.

• @brambos said:

@pichi said:
    I use the Handsonic. Had it for about 12 years now. Still sounds good.

>

Indeed... I own one as well! Has a brilliant Indian percussion section. A classic instrument.. still unsurpassed as far as I'm concerned.

I had it's baby brother the HPD-10 for a couple years. I sold it to get a Tenori-On as it's timing is much better ;)

• edited August 2016

Okay, I bought this to try it out, and now, working under AUM, I from Fugue Machine, using one of the flutes and it sounds superb.

• Downloaded today's iOS10 beta then deleted/reinstalled the app and it's now working again.

• edited August 2016

Been in touch with the developers, who seem like good guys, having the all too familiar problem of pricing for the IOS version so as not to upset desktop customers. Unfortunately, asking about £80 for the full monty isn't going to get many takers. But, the good news is, you can audition sounds and just buy those you really want to use. That way, a tenner or thereabouts can get some first class Indian sounds.

• @Nkersov said:
    Been in touch with the developers, who seem like good guys, having the all too familiar problem of pricing for the IOS version so as not to upset desktop customers. Unfortunately, asking about £80 for the full monty isn't going to get many takers. But, the good news is, you can audition sounds and just buy those you really want to use. That way, a tenner or thereabouts can get some first class Indian sounds.

Can you audition them in the app, as in play them?

• @AudioGus said:

Unfortunately not.

• @Nkersov said:

@AudioGus said:

Unfortunately not.

I know it's not always easy with iOS app rules, but not being able to audition them is off putting for single sound buys. It's ok for group sound buys, as usually you find someone demoing a pack.

I would buy it and probably pick up a few sounds over time, but I would need to hear the sounds played first.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I know it's not always easy with iOS app rules, but not being able to audition them is off putting for single sound buys. It's ok for group sound buys, as usually you find someone demoing a pack.

Yah and odds are in a pack you get something you like. Even at the same price if they just grouped it into a half dozen chunks and approached it more like iSymphonic does that may have more mileage for them.

• I will still get a bunch anyway though, next time I get some cards.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Nkersov said:

@AudioGus said:

Unfortunately not.

I would buy it and probably pick up a few sounds over time, but I would need to hear the sounds played first.

Click on this and it opens up in Safari. Not the same as in app, but maybe gives an idea?

http://www.swarsystems.com/Instruments/VolN1.php

• @Fitz said:
    Click on this and it opens up in Safari. Not the same as in app, but maybe gives an idea?

Yes, that gives a great idea of the sounds available. There are four volumes, plus a collection. Just grabbing those individual sounds you really like isn't too bad.

I'm told the devs are looking into the possibility of porting thier SwarGroove drum machine to IOS, if the hardware will allow. So that could be a good one to look out for.

• @Nkersov said:

@Fitz said:

Yes, that gives a great idea of the sounds available. There are four volumes, plus a collection. Just grabbing those individual sounds you really like isn't too bad.

I'm told the devs are looking into the possibility of porting thier SwarGroove drum machine to IOS, if the hardware will allow. So that could be a good one to look out for.

Would the developer be willing to participate in this thread? Perhaps you could direct them here...

• @sirdavidabraham said:
    Would the developer be willing to participate in this thread? Perhaps you could direct them here...

>

Already done. Hopefully, they will respond.

• @Fitz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Nkersov said:

@AudioGus said:

Unfortunately not.

Thanks this helps :)

• Hi guys,

The developer here. I was invited to join this thread by one of your members. Went through the posts and will be happy to give my feedback and answer any further questions.

PRICING

Indeed, pricing of instruments seems on the very high end for the App Store market. But these are quite rare and unusual instruments and we are not expecting lots and lots of sales. We have given the possibility for users to buy the exact instrument they need, so you can still get what you want for a small budget.

We may reduce prices in the future as per the feedback we get. We don't want to prevent anyone from ordering because it's too expensive. If we get the impression that by cutting prices by half we would get at least twice the number of sales we'll have no problem proceeding that way.

IN APP AUDITIONING

We wanted to include instrument demo auditioning in the IAP screen for this first release, but it was too much work. Glad you could find out a workaround with the demos on our site at www.swarsystems.com/Instruments

We'll try to add this auditioning in the next update, but it's not an easy thing to do in a plugin, because you are always depending on the host. For instance, Cubasis stops processing plugin audio when idle. But we'll try our best.

AUDIOBUS SUPPORT

We were also asked to add that in SwarPlug and we'll make sure to include it in a future update. At the moment, we have another app for practicing Indian music - iShala - that already supports Audiobus, but you can only play predefined rhythms and melodies in it.

Feel free to send your feedback/questions, but keep in mind that we are a very small company with very limited means, so we may not be able to handle everything at once. But we'll certainly add it to our TODO list.

Cheers!

Mariano

• @swarsys

I know pricing is always difficult to gauge, especially for less mainstream sounds (is that fair to say?). I for one would buy sounds just for fun at half the price, but that does not mean it will have the same effect with everyone. You may find your sales actually rise at a lower price, you may not.

Personally, if you stick with the higher price levels for the iaps, you may find having the app free encourages sales of the iaps.

Wish you all the best however you decide to go on pricing.

• Having built the engine, and while there are very few AUs out there you might consider releasing another version of the app with more mainstream instruments....

I bought the guitar IAP.